Anthony Stahler

My feedback

  1. 1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    2 comments  ·  Premiere Pro » Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
    An error occurred while saving the comment
    Anthony Stahler commented  · 

    After some further testing I don't even think this is a framerate rounding issue - if you take a normal 24fps video and make audio cuts and then use a Constant Power END aligned transition it will be broken - I tested in both Premiere Pro 2019 and 2021.

    Not really sure how such a major bug has survived multiple years without no one noticing and fixing it.

    An error occurred while saving the comment
    Anthony Stahler commented  · 

    It looks like this bug is primarily, or possibly only, triggered with the <alignment>end</alignment> transition type.

    I'll investigate further and report back if I find any way to patch the error in the xml, I've messed with it a little bit and haven't yet been able to force it to attach to both the left and the right clip without turning it into a center aligned transition shifted one frame over. Obviously that's not an acceptable result in many tightly edited situations.

    Anthony Stahler shared this idea  · 
  2. 2 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    3 comments  ·  Premiere Pro » Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ve followed the guidance you’ve posted, and can create no problematic XML files. From QE:

    We’ve tried variations of linked or not and different types of cuts and slip edits, and they always came back in perfectly via XML whether I imported or did Open Project like the user suggested. 

    Can you provide a project, and step-by-step instructions on how to reliably reproduce the problem you’re seeing?

    An error occurred while saving the comment
    Anthony Stahler commented  · 

    Just to follow up on this further, after comparison of xml files from what should have been identical projects, it appears that 2021 exports the xml with a different timecode/ntsc values than an identical project brought in from 2019.

    2021: 23/FALSE
    2019 converted to 2021: 24/TRUE

    The pproTicksIn/Out are also completely different numbers. The duration/start/end/in/out values are correct though, so if you strip the ppro values and change the timecode/ntsc to the correct values you can open the xml in Premiere Pro and the project will be correct.

    Obviously this is a very hackish workaround though, if you could tell me what kind of timeframe we're looking at for an official fix that would be much appreciated.

    An error occurred while saving the comment
    Anthony Stahler commented  · 

    Just checking back to see if the additional info allowed you to reproduce the issue, or if you need more input?

    An error occurred while saving the comment
    Anthony Stahler commented  · 

    I did a bunch of testing and I think I've isolated the issue, seems to be certain framerates. This test is done on the newest version of 2021 that I installed yesterday, using a fresh video I hadn't used before to avoid any possible cache bugs.

    Attached are two projects and two xml exports zipped, I used the same video but for the second test I converted it using ffmpeg to change the framerate slightly to match other problem videos I've had, and this triggered the bug.

    To replicate: Take mp4 15+ minutes long with sound that's easy to tell if it's in sync with the video (people talking, etc).

    1. Make new project in Premiere Pro 2021
    2. Drag mp4 to project pane
    3. Right click mp4 and create new timeline from it
    4. Use razor tool to make two cuts maybe 30 seconds to a minute apart later than 14-15 minutes into the video, ripple delete the part of the video between the two cuts (no transitions needed)
    5. Click on sequence in project pane, file > export > final cut pro xml
    6. close project
    7. Open project > select your exported xml and open
    8. Move playback to after the cut you made and play, audio is totally out of sync, timeline shows red markers indicating time out of sync or something.

    Note, if you try this with an mp4 that has a framerate of 23.976023 (as shown in VLC > codec), you will not get the error in step 8, the xml will load and look fine. If you use ffmpeg to convert it to a framerate of 23.976033 instead you can trigger the bug. Here's the command:

    ffmpeg -i "source-video.1080p.mp4" -filter:v fps=23.976033 "source-video.1080p.23.976033.mp4"

    I believe other framerates like 23.976000 and 23.976027 will trigger it as well but I didn't test them, I just have other projects with source files that use those framerates that have exhibited the error.

    If you want the source videos I used let me know, I just downloaded a Youtube video and then used ffmpeg to adjust it to trigger the bug.

    Anthony Stahler shared this idea  · 

Feedback and Knowledge Base