Character Animator

Welcome to the Adobe Character Animator feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the Character Animator team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the Character Animator community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hand puppet (Muppet) input

After Effects and premiere have VR display preview. But what about putting those hand trackers (oculus touch, vive wand) to good use? They have analog triggers, buttons and joysticks plus 3D positional and rotational tracking. I can't help but think that all of that real time data could be used in a more traditional pupeteering way.

You don't really need the output to be in VR or even 3D. Just use the input controlers as is like how Henson and co used for their Muppets.

Would probably easier as input for some of us than the webcam setups

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Are you finding issues with users being unable to export MP4 from CH via Encoder? It's always worked in the past but no luck over the last 3

Are you finding issues with users being unable to export MP4 from CH via Encoder? It's always worked in the past but no luck over the last 3 days.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. When in the scene timeline mode, add a quick shortcut for dragging on empty space: Right mouse button

As far as I can see I can't find the option to make a shortcut for just dragging around the timeline (similar to the hand/drag tool in Premiere); I saw the "M" thing, but it doesn't seem to be that responsive. It would be sweet if you could right click on an empty space in your scene timeline and that would just drag the entire timeline. Adversely, it could be ctrl+ click, or alt+ click. Just the option would be nice.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to copy and paste resolution settings when using high res PSD files to record Ch actions in low res

Please add feature where resolution settings can be copied as templates to use in instances where you need to animate with low res versions of bigger files to avoid clipping that occurs with less powerful computers, eg Start with a 4K master Photoshop file, then edit the Scene in 1080p to avoid clipping, then change the Scene settings back to 4K after all actions have been recorded. What we need to be able to copy is the scale size of the puppet, X/Y axis, etc. Not just the Scene pixels ratios.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. need parallax effect for mouth too

CH only have parallax effect for eyes and nose. wish to have it for mouth too.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Inverted variables

One thing that I could see to be helpful, not only in my puppet designs, but just generally in character animator is the option to invert the way the camera reads the facial movements. How I see this working is to create a little check box that says "invert" next to it, and all it does is invert the way the assets of your puppet reacts to your face.

Nutcracker Jaw: Invert [ x ]

Examples:
    Nutcracker jaw closing when your mouth is open.
    Eyes looking left when you look right.
    Eyebrows moveing down when you rais them.

It's a…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Option for additional in-between states on head turns.

The snapping of the head to different views isn't a big deal if you are using the pose to pose feature. It really stands out however when pose to pose is off. I would like a few in-between states for the head turns.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Do you mean that you want more than 5 stopping points or views or do you mean that you are trying to get more layers into the head turn? As noted, you can add several image layers that play in sequence to a single view by using cycle layers behavior, allowing for a smoother head turn with more ‘in-between’ frames. However, assuming you are asking for more pre-defined views in the rigging, that wouldn’t solve your request.

10. Color Blending Mode

I'm unsure why the color blend mode isn't already a thing in the blending modes for CA. It is extremely useful. If there is a true technical reason why it isn't added or can't be added, then I would love to know, it sounds like an interesting thing to leave out. It may also just be a mistake, and it got left out when programing it.
    Anyway, I hope the best for the program, I'm having so much fun creating, and pushing it to its limits.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Internal error code: (751789695:79+6) assertion failed!

Hello! I love your product. :)

Internal error code: (751789695:79+6) assertion failed!

I was working on creating an animation, saved a new file, imported a puppet, and then was going to drag into the timeline but as I moved the mouse from the menu, as seen in the screenshot, I received the following error code. I was able to recreate it several times.

Everything seems to be fine with the file, however.

Thanks!
    Axel

ps I guess there isn't a place to save the screenshot. I have it if it would be helpful. :)

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Having a bar that limits the record parameters

In music sequences programs, there is generally a bar that you control for record in and out. So, for instance, if you just wanted to record something for .5 seconds, it would do that only and you don't have to go back and change all the little things that have been recorded past that time. For one character these little things can be 10-15 bars you have to adjust. I could send a picture of an example, but I don't think there is that capability here.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Keyboard shortcuts for arming behaviors

It would be very helpful for workflow speed if we could assign hotkeys for arming specific behaviors and puppet tracks. Instead of having to mouse over to the puppet to disarm it so that I can see it's current position, a quick keyboard shortcut would really help. Same with the item behaviors - if I have the Dragger armed, but I want to turn it off and instead use the mouse for Eye Gaze, I have to scroll through all the behaviors and find the ones I want to arm/disarm. If each behavior had an assignable hotkey, it would be…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Setting to quickly switch between different backgrounds & character during performance

I would like to incorporate multiple backgrounds and characters during a live presentation, to create the look of a two-way conversation as seen on TV and film. I want to be able to switch backgrounds every time a new character speaks, and have both the new character and background appear onscreen.

I can currently achieve background switching by stacking multiple backgrounds in the timeline and then manually fading the opacity of the background(s) on top, but it is slow, manual, and very clear to the audience what is going on.

On a similar note, switching out the characters is currently…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Streaming  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Choose default settings for Cycle layers & other behaviour modifiers

I find myself always having to adjust the parameters whenever i add a cycle layer behaviour. If there could be a way to set default settings to your own custom ones then that would save a few more clicks.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make the 'Duration' of scene display exact duration instead of rounded value

The "Duration" property of a scene rounds floating point numbers to the nearest integer. So a value of 1.5 is displayed as 2. But when you click in the field to edit, it jumps back to 1.5. The request is to make the displayed value be the exact value rather than a rounded value. (

This is particularly made worse when a recording gets extended by a few frames. The scene length can be extended without you even realizing. (Should be a quick change.)

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Improve rear hair (behind BODY) when +HEAD is warp independent

Currently you typically have a HEAD group in front of the BODY (so the chin is in front of the neck etc. You may also have front hair dangling in front of the body as well.

But it is hard to have +HEAD (an independent group) and rear hair (to be displayed behind the BODY). The front and rear hair should be both controlled by the head movement.

It would be nice to have a better way of having rear hair attached to head movements, but be behind the body.

I would suggest having a +REARHAIR group as a pattern,…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Snapchat style 3d mask building and face augmenting

Snapchat style 3d mask building and face augmenting. Soemthing that feels less paper cut. Maybe allow us to mix our real eyes in with cartoon features. I know this is a big ask, but character animator is a bit underwhelming when you see the possibilities in something like Snapchat face filters (lenses)

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 3 4 5 6 8 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base