Character Animator

Welcome to the Adobe Character Animator feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the Character Animator team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the Character Animator community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. viseme sensitivity control

Auto lip sync slider/control to determine the amount of visemes created for pre recorded audio.

We find we have to manually adjust the automated lip sync quite often as it seems to add a lot more visemes than required, if there was a sensitivity setting that could higher or lower the amount of visemes used that would be great.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. OpenGL invalid operationa

after you open the project, " OpenGL invalid operation. "I get the error.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What is the software that’s rendering the information in the upper-left corner of the Scene panel? Is this from the GeForce Experience software’s overlay functionality?

Can you try disabling that software that’s showing frame rate and other info in OpenGL views to see if that helps? Character Animator uses OpenGL to render content in the Scene and Puppet panels.

Thanks.

3. Character Animator live streaming mojave issues

After upgrading to Mojave MacOS, we are having significant performance issues with our existing CA live-streaming setups. Our setup is this:

CA 2018 or 2019 (720 project, 20fps) -> Wirecast or OBS (via NDI or Syphon, tried both) -> RTMP (1.5mbps 30fps 540p) to our servers

When running some of our triggered animations of our puppets, the FPS out of CA drops to single digits, and seems to combat Wirecast or OBS, which in turn drops dozens/hundreds frames on Wirecast or OBS. This did not happen in previous versions of MacOS, and we have taken the same project files/config and…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Character Animator Crashes When "RIG" Window is Selected

It would be great if this issue can be resolved soon, I can prep and record just fine, but when i try to re-rig the bones, it crashed before the skeleton loads up

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Are you on macOS or Windows? And what version of the OS are you on?

If you’re on macOS, does the Adobe Crash Reporter window appear after the app crashes? If so, please provide some details in the report, such as the URL for this bug report, so that we can correlate it with this report.

If you’re on Windows, do you have an NVIDIA GeForce GPU? If so, and you recently updated the graphics/display driver to a newer version, please try an older version as we have heard of reports that newer GeForce drivers might be causing an issue.

Also, is your artwork Photoshop or Illustrator?

Thanks.

5. Multiple characters in a scene

It would be awesome if adobe adds a feature to support multiple character animation and rig in one scene

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Adjust the playback speed of Replays

Say you record a replay of a puppet dancing, but you want to use it in a song that has a different tempo. Wouldn't that be possible if you added a speed adjustment option, like in Walk Cycle?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. CLIP LABELS

Would be nice to have the tracks labeled in the Timeline. The triggers are labeled.

Sure would make it easier to find which track is which.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. New “loop forever” replay mode

The new Replays feature is cool, but it is missing a “loop forever” mode. I want to hit a trigger (e.g. latched) and have the sequence play forever until the trigger is hit again. At present a replay plays once and stops and you have to trigger it again to get it to repeat, even when trigger latching is on.

I assume a third replay mode of “loop forever while triggered” is wanted as a trigger mode.

The usecase is an “idle” state for the puppet. You can record an idle state (fidgeting etc) and and some other states (“frustrated”,…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. import video to scene as background

as that user can perform to match the timing of the background video

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While the heading of this post is “import video as scene background”, and you can’t just grab any video file to do so, you can accomplish the requests of both comments in Character Animator now. By importing a PNG sequence. Once you’ve turned the video background you want into a PNG sequence, using an encoder/transcoder like Adobe Media Encoder, then, in Character Animator, go to:

File→Import Cycle→
    (browse to PNG folder and click on first image of your PNG sequence)
    →Import

You will create a puppet in your Project panel with the name of the sequence folder. Open this puppet in the Puppet panel (Rig workspace) and apply the Cycle Layers behavior to the root puppet layer. In the Properties panel, under ‘Behaviors’, you’ll see your Cycle Layers behavior and an item that says “Start” with a corresponding drop down menu that defaults to “Immediately”. Click on the drop down…

11. Use recorded video files as animation source

I want to use talent in a studio to record voices and basic character movements for our workflow. We already have proper sound isolation for this, but not in front of computers. Therefore, it would be great to be able to use proper green-screened, high-fidelity audio recordings, as an input into Character Animator. Webcam input only cripples quality.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As a workaround for importing video to animate against, you can import a PNG or JPG sequence (File → Import Cycle…) and use the Cycle Layers option for Start = Synced to timeline. This is new in version 2.1 released in April 2019.

12. Fix Dynamic Link to AE

Whenever I update audio file in CA for lip sync, it works fine but AE won't see the new changes, still plays to previous file that was imported into AE. Very annoying.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to save out a vector animation json / third party support like Bodymovin in AE

Ability to save out a vector animation json / third party support like the Bodymovin plugin offers in After Effects for use with Lottie

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Bug Report - using left and right arrows no longer causes the Sticky character to walk since latest upgrade

Bug Report - using left and right arrows no longer causes the Sticky character to walk since latest upgrade. It was working fine before upgrade, but as soon as I upgraded, it no longer works.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Does this occur even if you create a new scene with Sticky by choosing it from the Start workspace?

Is the Scene or Timeline panel focused when you’re pressing the Left/Right Arrow keys?

Which version of macOS or Windows are you on?

Also, if adjusting the Walk Strength to around 80% works, it might’ve been due to a change in 2.1 for existing projects that have Walk in it. Importing the Sticky example puppet fresh in 2.1 probably doesn’t have this issue.

Thanks.

15. Output to Virtual Camera

It would be nice to have the option to output a scene in realtime as a 'virtual camera', so that it can be properly imported into streaming programs such as OBS.

As of now, my current method is to use "Window Capture" of Character Animator, but it captures all of the GUI as well, and it's kind of laggy on a Mac computer.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Streaming  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

OBS can take an NDI and Syphon (mac only) input so there is no need for a screen scrape. You also get alpha that way for compositing in the app. NDI is a separate plugin that you download from their site. In Ch, go to the preferences and turn on Syphon/NDI to begin using it.

16. I am getting an error when I import the free puppet Tull.

I am getting an error when I import the free puppet Tull. I have the latest version of Character animator but I am getting an error code.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Does this issue occur if you import the Tull.puppet file into a new project, or just an existing project?

Does the puppet show up in the Project panel after dismissing the error message?

Another thing to try:
    1. Quit Character Animator, then wait ~10 seconds.
    2. Relaunch Character Animator and immediately hold down the Shift key while it’s launching. This prevents any scenes/puppets from opening in their respective panels.
    3. Try importing Tull.puppet again.

Please let us know if that workaround works for you. Thanks.

17. rigging several characters in one scene

in adobe CH You can put as many characters into a scene as you want, but there's no current way to control 2 heads/voices with one webcam.
    it would be awesome to put that feature

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If the puppet tracks are armed (red record button for the track is enabled), then all of those puppet tracks will respond to the webcam and microphone at the same time. You can select multiple puppet track Arm for Record buttons by Shift-clicking them (or Command-click on macOS, Ctrl-click on Windows).

Can you tell us if you are trying to control 2 characters simultaneously with 2 performers? If you want to do that, you can do it by running 2 instances of Ch and bringing both sources into a program like OBS.

18. Include a library of objects & actions to pre-populate scenes

One thing that "explainer animation" tools often have is a lot of pre-populated settings / objects for characters (and sometimes animations for those objects). For instance, you can drag and drop a "cell phone" to a character, and it will have them hold it, and you can drag in an animation of them tapping the screen.

Other 2D animation tools have things like walk/run cycles, jumps and hops, dancing, etc, that can drive the animation of a character at a certain point.

Not only would it be great to have a library of tools to create rich movements (and add…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bug: Windows move, when switching from rig mode to record mode

I work with two screens and put my timeline on one, the rest on the other. When I switch to rig mode and switch back, the timeline has changed to a small spot inside the big grey window. When I change the width it comes back. I work with Windows 10.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Let us record facial tracking markers

The facial tracking in Ch is so great, it makes me crazy that we seemingly have no access to it. The mouth is tracked in fine detail, but it seems almost entirely discarded. You can't record the markers, and I can't seem to find any way to drive visemes with video (sorry guys, but driving it with audio is too sketchy)

If Ch can give me a real-time, 1:1 line up with my face and the trackers, why can't I drive more with that? And why do I have to use AE's slow and error prone facial tracking to do…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base