Character Animator

Welcome to the Adobe Character Animator feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the Character Animator team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the Character Animator community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. RNG Trigger Behavior

There are a lot of ways to bring your character "to life" in Character Animator, however there is one thing that a cartoon has that life doesn't: 100% consistency.

I have an idea about triggers having an RNG system to them such as different mouth shapes for the same sound to add variation or when I hit a trigger to make a pleased expression the expression has different variations that will randomly trigger to give the same emotion but have a slightly different look to give some imperfections/naturalness to the design (such as people don't make the EXACT same face…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. dragging the timeline horizontally by press spacebar

Adding a hand-tool (press spacebar, just like in AE) to drag the timeline horizontally. Thats a convenient way to navigate.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. GoPro Webcam compatibility

Please make Ch compatible with the GoPro Webcam utility

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Recorded Swap Set Triggers should play back while recording other triggers

I've noticed that when I have Triggers record enabled, and I'm recording, say doing an overdub of some mouth stuff with triggers, other triggers and swap sets that are on the timeline don't play back, instead taking the currently active or default state of the swap set.

On playback all is well again, but Id really like to see those other triggers during recording as they affect my performance timing on the overdub ones?

Maybe an overdub mode that focuses on only one trigger and the others all playback from the timeline rather than being live?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. The ability to invert the mask and choose would be huge.

Ive seen others mention something like this before but it would be huge to be able to invert the clipping mask. Every other adobe program has this ability so Im guessing this is an issue to be fixed more than a feature request. The work arounds necessary because this doesnt exist are so time consuming, if they work at all.
    Thank you

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Position export to After Effects

I would love to be able to export the screen coordinates of a Handle to After Effects. This would allow users to link another object or video clip to a puppet easily in After Effects.

For example, exporting the position data from a handle on a handheld torch would allow the user to add a lighting effect that moves with the character.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Recursive Swap Sets

At present, Character Animator (v3.4) supports Swap Sets that enable users to select a single layer to be visible within a layer group.

For example, say you want to create multiple pre-drawn facial expressions for your puppet, "Normal" and "Sad". In each expression, you want to be able to change the eyebrows, eyelids and entire mouth swap set.

How would a user achieve this with a simple puppet structure like the following?

+Head

+Eyebrow Left
    +Eyebrow Right
    Eye Left
    Eyelids Left
    +Pupil Left
    Eyeball Left
    Eye Right
    Eyelids Right
    +Pupil Right
    Eyeball Right
    Nose
    Mouth
    Neutral
    Smile
    Surprised
    M
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Pupil directions for "NE, NW, SE, SW" on number pad

I'd love to be able to use my number key pad to control the in-between "NE, NW, SE, SW" directions using individual keys, instead of the combo of holding two keys at the same time. For example, on a number key pad, the 9 key would be "NE" (i.e. up and to the right), instead of the current two-key press of 8 and 6 at the same time.

That would make it a smoother move in a live performance b/c sometimes it's hard to press and release two keys at exactly the same time, so the pupil jumps a little…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. copy and paste animated puppets from one scene to another

I would like to copy and paste animated puppets from one scene to another.

When I try to do this I get a pop-up message (see attached pic)

What I wanted CH to do is "simply" paste one puppet with all its recorded parameters, keyframes, behaviors form one scene no another.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Cross-eyed pupils keyboard input

Would be fun to have a keyboard input for crossed-eyes. Maybe if you held down Up+Down keys together, perhaps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Auto Pupil Micro-dart Movement

If Auto Blink also had a setting for Auto Pupil Movements -- just small occasional "micro darts" -- this would allow the puppets to look more life-like during inactive moments during a performance or live stream.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Rest/Delay on Layer Picker (Pose-to-Pose)

I am using the Pose-to-Pose feature a lot. It would be nice to have an option in the Layer Picker that is similar. F. e. setting a minimum pose duration before it goes to the next layer.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Blur and other Effects for Backgrounds

It would be great to have blur effects inside CH to make more professional looking animations to separate puppets from their backgrounds. Dynamic Link with CH is so buggy and laggy that I and many other users have stopped using it as you can see from the community support forum. I have basically stopped using Premiere and AE all together and try to finish everything in CH even if the quality of animation drops to avoid using dynamic link and missing deadlines. So please consider giving us more effects within CH. thank you!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. TRUE TRANSPARENCY

Make the transparency actually transparent when imported in FCPX like a green screen. When I use transparent then render in ME the background stays black not transparent. Please fix or allow for green screen background.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. No (obvious) way to remove trigger from a layer

Repro steps:

1. Think like a user/newbie.

2. Create a new project and import Blank.

3. Go into rig mode.

4. Add a trigger to any body part.

5. Add a behaviour to that same part.

6. Right-click the lego/gear icon for that body part.

7. Notice that there's a 'remove all behaviours' option in the context menu.

8. Right-click the trigger icon for the same body part.

Notice that there's no corresponding way to remove all triggers from that body part exposed in the menu.

In addition to creating a bit of an asymmetry between one part of the user experience and another, it looks as if…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support OpenRaster images

It'd be nice if we could import .ora/OpenRaster images as well as .psd and .ai files; bonus points if the .ora import correctly supports/respects the Destination In and Destination Out layer types.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Right-click in tags -> add new bone

There should be a context menu when the user right-clicks the skeleton in the Tags window that offers the option to add a new bone, with the parent of that bone being wherever the right click was detected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a 'slow parent' option similar to Blender's where the motion of a layer can be bound to the motion of another layer.

I am trying to add a moveable highlight to Blank's eyes, and it's absurdly difficult; IWBNI there were something like the 'slow parent' constraint in Blender's where I could marry the motion of the highlight directly to the motion of the pupils, but at some multiple of their speed...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Your program does not recognize a dog's face, one;y human when I upload

I want to use a real photo of my Dog Tucker (attached) captured on a green screen and use your animation to move his lips to a voiced script. But it keeps giving me an error that it does not recognize as a human face. Can you create a version where a dog's face will be recognized?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base