Character Animator

Welcome to the Adobe Character Animator feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the Character Animator team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the Character Animator community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Preview render in timeline

My puppets are many layered and large which I know creates a drag on resources. The frame rate slowing is not usually much of an issue - except today as I'm working on lipsyncing. In this particular area, I do want frame accurate playback. Visemes not aligning with speech is very noticeable... it's hard to get it right when the frame rate is playing back at 50%.

What I have been doing is dynamically linking to AE with composition set to play all frames. The render is bearable and I can see what needs tweaking.

My wonder is, can CH…

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Imari,

One of the unique things about Character Animator is that you can layer multiple takes with different properties, behaviors, and parameters enabled, in the same scene timeline.

So your workflow could include an initial performance where you record your basic audio and face tracking, then disarm audio and face, and other properties that are not needed, then record another take using only remaining armed properties, for instance, draggers, physics or triggers. This means that you can always change and add to your performance, even after recording the initial take or many.

That’s a long way of saying, for the time being, the best things you can do to preview without running into performance issues, is disarm anything you aren’t needing to have active during your preview. So, if you have a timeline with multiple puppet tracks, physics, draggers and triggers behaviors, but you’re working on your face tracking…

2. Disable Features to Improve CPU Performance

When not in use, I want to disable profiles (e.g., left, right, etc.) in hopes of improving CPU performance. My puppet is large and somewhat complex. If CH cannot support complexity, then I would like an option to disable some profiles/features to improve the CPU performance while recording and livestreaming on a 2015 MBP. Currently,

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. More Keyboard Triggers

Open up the other keys on a keyboard to be used for triggers. Especially the Function Keys. Also, would be great to be able to add a modifier on triggers.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bug: Waiting for camera forever on mac mojave

On Mojave (10.14.3), the camera doesn't work: It is "Waiting for camera" forever. The green light next to the camera comes on, but CA stays waiting. I've tried all the ideas found in google searches:
    - I can't change to the next camera (there's only 1).
    - I have given permission to the camera, and even rebooted after.
    - The mic works fine.
    - The camera works in other apps, e.g. Chrome (which also has permission, I just didn't include that in the screenshot).

Version2.0.1 (Build 8)

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. CLIP LABELS

Would be nice to have the tracks labeled in the Timeline. The triggers are labeled.

Sure would make it easier to find which track is which.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support for Rear and 3/4 views

Hello,

It would be great if CA would support Rear and 3/4 views of characters along with walk and run cycles for movement.

Thanks,
    Rajnesh

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable hinge effects on a dragger.

I am trying to make rope arms, where when you grab the hand the arm dangles from a hinge on the hand and from the shoulder. This is impossible however because when you grab something, that part remains fixed in a certain position. This creates some weird bending on the arm by the hand. (The hand always points downwards). This could be usefull for all sorts of stuff.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Manual Multiple Images Option for Characterizer

Characterizer offers 3 way of building a puppet:

1) Automatic Webcam where you sit in front of the camera and follow the instructions

2) Manual Webcam where you sit in front of the camera and follow the instructions (but instructions are more detailed and numerous)

3) Image where you submit one single image with minimalistic rigging

I am suggesting that Characterizer should offer a fourth option that sounds quite simple to me which is:

4) Manual multiple images where you can enter several images or photos following the same instructions as Manual Webcam but instead of having to sit yourself…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix Dynamic Link to AE

Whenever I update audio file in CA for lip sync, it works fine but AE won't see the new changes, still plays to previous file that was imported into AE. Very annoying.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Concept one to motion

If you can record full face movements, why not record full body motion like motion capture with no need to push buttons to walk , run or jump?

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. [BUG] puppet walks off screen

Hello there,

if I change the timeline, the puppet will be lost.

Could you please solve this issue?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19-nbBMItjpKVtPmi9pZnB5sX75VzQJFg

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
    Dennis

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make the default be the last thing you did, rather than the pre-set default

Please change the default setting to what you did previously, rather than some pre-determined default. It is so irritating to constantly have to go back, un check the red buttons, etc.

For instance, in recording a walk behavior, you have to go back to the beginning, so your characters are in the correct place, then you have to make sure to fix the body speed so that they actually record. If you want to record it over again, you AGAIN have to go back re-do the body speed.

There should be a default to what you just did and then…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Hand puppet (Muppet) input

After Effects and premiere have VR display preview. But what about putting those hand trackers (oculus touch, vive wand) to good use? They have analog triggers, buttons and joysticks plus 3D positional and rotational tracking. I can't help but think that all of that real time data could be used in a more traditional pupeteering way.

You don't really need the output to be in VR or even 3D. Just use the input controlers as is like how Henson and co used for their Muppets.

Would probably easier as input for some of us than the webcam setups

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Walking triggered by keyboard

Hello, if you could wipe out the "walking" through the keyboard, you could use multiple gaits for a puppet. She could then walk normally, walk or walk very slowly. For streaming, it would be easier to give the character more dynamic.
    Best regards
    Gabi

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. When in the scene timeline mode, add a quick shortcut for dragging on empty space: Right mouse button

As far as I can see I can't find the option to make a shortcut for just dragging around the timeline (similar to the hand/drag tool in Premiere); I saw the "M" thing, but it doesn't seem to be that responsive. It would be sweet if you could right click on an empty space in your scene timeline and that would just drag the entire timeline. Adversely, it could be ctrl+ click, or alt+ click. Just the option would be nice.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. need parallax effect for mouth too

CH only have parallax effect for eyes and nose. wish to have it for mouth too.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Choose anti-aliasing options

I want to be able to link dynamically with after effects, but the linked animation has blurry edges and not hard pixels that I need.

For instance part of the aesthetic is that my animations are low resolution, with pixilated edges. I cannot use character animator unless there is an option to export or link using a "draft" quality, such as in AE. Please give us a hard pixel export option (no anti aliasing)

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make the 'Duration' of scene display exact duration instead of rounded value

The "Duration" property of a scene rounds floating point numbers to the nearest integer. So a value of 1.5 is displayed as 2. But when you click in the field to edit, it jumps back to 1.5. The request is to make the displayed value be the exact value rather than a rounded value. (

This is particularly made worse when a recording gets extended by a few frames. The scene length can be extended without you even realizing. (Should be a quick change.)

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Snapchat style 3d mask building and face augmenting

Snapchat style 3d mask building and face augmenting. Soemthing that feels less paper cut. Maybe allow us to mix our real eyes in with cartoon features. I know this is a big ask, but character animator is a bit underwhelming when you see the possibilities in something like Snapchat face filters (lenses)

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base