Character Animator

Welcome to the Adobe Character Animator feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the Character Animator team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the Character Animator community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Getting dangle and collision effects to work together.

To have objects that dangle be able to collide properly with other objects when they dangle. At the current time the object just appears to be dangling but actually stays in the same spot.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2520232

7 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Walk Behaviour: Add hip sway walk behaviour & walk forward behaviour like Wonder boy

Hi,
    1. As most of my characters are woman, I'd love to be able to give them a hip sway to their walk behaviour.
    2. Would be great if you can have a Walk Front behaviour like Wonder Boy. Also include a hip sway with this behaviour.
    Thanks

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

For #1, the just-released Version 2.0 has support for separate Left/Right Hip tags and a Hip Sway parameter in the Walk behavior that can move the handles to simulate hip sway, more so for quarter-drawn characters. See this tutorial for more information: youtube.com/watch?v=b1GLkNVVEGk

3. Parenting to Dragger etc.

Would be nice to be able to parent items to a null or dragger. For instance if I want to parent both pupils to dragger, I could then just move the dragger around to control them.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add additional Mouths

I want to be able to add a mouths with smug and sad to my animation. Right now you are set to the provided number of mouth expressions.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. New behavior: kneel

Hello, it would be great if there was a knee flexion for the puppets in the behavior. Then she could squat down and pick something up from the ground. This behavior should then start from a trigger so that the "go" behavior can be interrupted. I hope I explained that understandably :)
    Best regards
    Gabi

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Teleprompter Feature - Separate Tab or Onion Skin Over Scene

It would be great to have a Teleprompter feature that prompts the person speaking with a visual text of a speech or script.

This could take the form of a Teleprompter tab or an onion skin over the scene as it's being recorded (that is, the script is superimposed over the scene as it's recorded).

Since I do most of my recordings on an iMac, I could see undocking the Teleprompter tab and placing it at the upper middle of the Desktop, just below there the built-in web cam is located. Or, reading the text as is scrolls by while…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Inverted variables

One thing that I could see to be helpful, not only in my puppet designs, but just generally in character animator is the option to invert the way the camera reads the facial movements. How I see this working is to create a little check box that says "invert" next to it, and all it does is invert the way the assets of your puppet reacts to your face.

Nutcracker Jaw: Invert [ x ]

Examples:
    Nutcracker jaw closing when your mouth is open.
    Eyes looking left when you look right.
    Eyebrows moveing down when you rais them.

It's a…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Keyboard shortcuts for arming behaviors

It would be very helpful for workflow speed if we could assign hotkeys for arming specific behaviors and puppet tracks. Instead of having to mouse over to the puppet to disarm it so that I can see it's current position, a quick keyboard shortcut would really help. Same with the item behaviors - if I have the Dragger armed, but I want to turn it off and instead use the mouse for Eye Gaze, I have to scroll through all the behaviors and find the ones I want to arm/disarm. If each behavior had an assignable hotkey, it would be…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Choose default settings for Cycle layers & other behaviour modifiers

I find myself always having to adjust the parameters whenever i add a cycle layer behaviour. If there could be a way to set default settings to your own custom ones then that would save a few more clicks.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Volume level adjustment for imported audio clips

There does not seem to be a way to adjust audio levels from imported clips such as sound effects and background music. I can do this in an external app but its cumbersome and hit and miss. So having a simple audio level lever would be awesome and save a lot of time.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Let us record facial tracking markers

The facial tracking in Ch is so great, it makes me crazy that we seemingly have no access to it. The mouth is tracked in fine detail, but it seems almost entirely discarded. You can't record the markers, and I can't seem to find any way to drive visemes with video (sorry guys, but driving it with audio is too sketchy)

If Ch can give me a real-time, 1:1 line up with my face and the trackers, why can't I drive more with that? And why do I have to use AE's slow and error prone facial tracking to do…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. More mouth constants. "Th", "K", "P", "Ch", etc.

Complex mouths look pretty bad when synced to audio, and it becomes very noticeable that some sounds don't have proper lip pronunciations such as "Th", "Z", "K", "P", and "Wh".

Getting the 12 essentials would be a massive improvement and allow for more complex designs.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Export nulls from Character Animator to After Effects

Just getting rolling with CA so please forgive if my terminology is way off. It seems to me it'd be very helpful if we could create Nulls in CA that we could export to AE. Then we'd be able to use the nulls in AE to attach objects, use as emitters, center points for effects... all kinds wacky of stuff.

I'd think we should also be able to assign these nulls in CA to our eye's performances and any draggable handles.

Dogging CA so far... thanks for the cool tool.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Include motion blur on the Transform Panel!

Include Motion Blur on the Transform Panel so it's possible to have the character waving his arms and get the blurred effect within Character Animator.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Option for additional in-between states on head turns.

The snapping of the head to different views isn't a big deal if you are using the pose to pose feature. It really stands out however when pose to pose is off. I would like a few in-between states for the head turns.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Do you mean that you want more than 5 stopping points or views or do you mean that you are trying to get more layers into the head turn? As noted, you can add several image layers that play in sequence to a single view by using cycle layers behavior, allowing for a smoother head turn with more ‘in-between’ frames. However, assuming you are asking for more pre-defined views in the rigging, that wouldn’t solve your request.

16. Fixed size (without stretching, but with the ability to drag) Hands - brachium, antebrachium(Forearm) Foot -femur, crus.

I saw the option "OK hands", but still the character is stretched like an elastic band. I would like to give a parameter forbidding the bones to open: Hands - shoulder, front of the shoulder (forearm), foot - thigh, lower leg.

There were times when the elbow jumped when recording animations across the screen. (ate not put a point on the elbow)

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Reduce the size of the trigger on the panel controls

I use a lot of triggers, but they all do not fit on the panel. their size is large. Please enter the option to reduce them as on the screen on the left side.

I also did not understand exactly how I can assign the "[" key as well as the numeric keypad, which is located on the right

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Drag triggers to timeline

I would be great if we could drag triggers from the control panel onto the time line instead of having to record each trigger, it gets time consuming when you have to turn off all other recordings just to add 1 trigger.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Preview resolution

I would be good if you could add a preview mode for animating in CH, so you can reduce the quality of the animation while animating to improve frame rate.

This is something that is done in After effects and think would work well in CH

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Import triggers from other puppets

I was thinking a great and time-saving feature would be an option to import triggers from other puppets. Kind of like Tull has a set controls list, it would be great to say import Outstretched, or import a set of triggers to a puppet in development. Something like Import->Triggers and then the.puppet folder opens and you select which puppet you want to import the triggers from.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base