Character Animator

Welcome to the Adobe Character Animator feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the Character Animator team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the Character Animator community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rigging and animating less complicated, please!

Rigging is much too complicated. I'd like to have handle bars or slider in order to move the marionette, I'd like to fix the head on the neck and to have the neck squeezing while the head stays in it's form, I'd like to hang arms to the body like in AE, I'd like to animate walk cycles instead of capturing something by the camera, I'd like to squash and sqeeze by mouse.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Idea for mouth movements in Lip Sync function

Presently the mouth shapes for "ah" and "oh" are inserted as still frames as determined by the speech file.

How about we have intermediate frames for these mouth shapes? Like the transition from "ah" to "oh" could have just a few frames of transitionary shapes between these two (which we could upload ourselves). The program could then insert these transitionary phases in automatically depending on the order of the shapes. It would be very easy for the program to do this.

It would make the whole thing look so much smoother, and if it worked, I think would be an…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Being able to copy ALL parameters from one puppet and apply it to another

It would be great if you could copy and paste all rigging and other parameters from one puppet to another. Say you're creating minions, each slightly different looking from the others, but largely the same. Hours could be saved if you didn't have to rig each.

And if there were then a couple of issues that needed to be adjusted due to the unique properties of one (say he's only got one eye), that would still be much quicker.

Martin

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Illustrator symbols

Currently layers that contain Illustrator symbols are not parsed correctly in Character Animator showing only one instance and recognising the layer name.

It's useful to be able to include Illustrator symbols to avoid creating and editing multiple times the same artwork (e.g. eyes, pupils, eyebrows, etc.).

I hope this is considered as a compatibility feature request and gets added to the backlog.

Best

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Preset Behaviors

A set of basic behaviors likely to be used repeatedly...

Bounce
    Rotate
    Jiggle (with some kind of randomization)

With parameters like duration, speed, randomization, ease in/out...etc

...All I can think of at the moment but I'm sure there's more ones likely to be used repeatedly.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow Replays to be Unaffected by Independence Changes

While adjusting settings in my newest puppet I discovered that replays are affected by the dependence/independence settings of the puppet.

For example, the replays of my puppet were recorded while the torso was set as independent. Once I changed the torso to dependent, the replays became erratic and the arm positions were completely messed up. Almost all of the replays need to re-recorded. Adjusting other settings like the attach style and dependence/independence of other groups did not resolve the issue.

Please:
    1. Include this in the documentation and info about Character Animator. The current details imply that replays are "set…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support for Rear and 3/4 views

Hello,

It would be great if CA would support Rear and 3/4 views of characters along with walk and run cycles for movement.

Thanks,
    Rajnesh

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support rigs for quadrupods, birds, snakes, fish and things with more than four legs.

Hello, it would be grew to if CA would support models of various kinds of creatures along with their movements:
    quadrupods, birds, snakes and fish

Thanks,
    Rajnesh

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Walk behavior should work with only one profile

As far as I can tell, if you have Frontal and Right Profile the puppet will not switch from frontal to the profile when you use the arrow key. You have to create Left Profile as well for the flipping from “Frontal” to “Right Profile”. If the right profile is the default (like walkbot), then walking works. So it is not the walk behavior that seems to be the problem, but rather the code to decide to flip from the default profile to the walk direction profile refuses to work without Left and Right profiles both defined (and rigged sensibly).

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Enable hinge effects on a dragger.

I am trying to make rope arms, where when you grab the hand the arm dangles from a hinge on the hand and from the shoulder. This is impossible however because when you grab something, that part remains fixed in a certain position. This creates some weird bending on the arm by the hand. (The hand always points downwards). This could be usefull for all sorts of stuff.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Magnets Hinge and Weld - none great (add friction to hinge?)

I had a balloon on a string. Dangles turn off the string (created a separate issue for that one). Without dangle the balloon would either sway from side to side with no way to stop it (there was no “friction” setting on the hinge to slow it down), or using weld it would be a firm stick with no dynamic feel to the balloon at all.

I think Hinge would be more useful if there was a friction or damping setting to slowly reduce the swaying effect of “hinge” today. Otherwise hinge is not that useful - things just keep…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Dragger's return to rest is acting strange since 2.0 update

since the 2.0 update Ive been having a weird bug with dragger arms attached by hinges and how to interact when set to return to rest.

Before the update, they would return to the default position that was set in the Photoshop file. But after the update, the arm straightens out facing in the direction that the dragger has been moved in and after the duration set under return to rest it will immediately snap back to the default position.

This does not only happen on my original puppets but it also happens on the stock puppets as well (I…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Eye gaze and Face input source as webcam or X/Y positions

Eye gaze and Face can only use the webcam as inputs. It would be good to allow another mode where X/Y properties control which direction the face is facing (controls parallax) and which way the eyes are looking.

In my case I want to hook up to an external MIDI source so can use HTC Vive VR equipment to control eye gaze and parallax. I could possibly use Transform behaviors with a lot of care, but its tricky as you need to get the transform for both eyes correct (calibration is hard). It also means the puppet can be used…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. A true skeletal system

I'd like to see a true bone system implemented instead of trying to derive a structure from points that can be scattered in different parts of the puppet. Consolidating all the hinge points to a single layer will make editing and debugging a puppet much easier and straightforward.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. More mouth constants. "Th", "K", "P", "Ch", etc.

Complex mouths look pretty bad when synced to audio, and it becomes very noticeable that some sounds don't have proper lip pronunciations such as "Th", "Z", "K", "P", and "Wh".

Getting the 12 essentials would be a massive improvement and allow for more complex designs.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. "joysticks and sliders" like option in character animator!

this would be a game changer for CH. something like this after effect script: https://aescripts.com/joysticks-n-sliders/#

for controlling facial expression non-live, maybe even the rigging system can improve the live option, this really gives a 3d illustion to 2d animations, and it seems pretty simple in after effects.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Getting dangle and collision effects to work together.

To have objects that dangle be able to collide properly with other objects when they dangle. At the current time the object just appears to be dangling but actually stays in the same spot.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2520232

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Walk Behaviour: Add hip sway walk behaviour & walk forward behaviour like Wonder boy

Hi,
    1. As most of my characters are woman, I'd love to be able to give them a hip sway to their walk behaviour.
    2. Would be great if you can have a Walk Front behaviour like Wonder Boy. Also include a hip sway with this behaviour.
    Thanks

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

For #1, the just-released Version 2.0 has support for separate Left/Right Hip tags and a Hip Sway parameter in the Walk behavior that can move the handles to simulate hip sway, more so for quarter-drawn characters. See this tutorial for more information: youtube.com/watch?v=b1GLkNVVEGk

19. Parenting to Dragger etc.

Would be nice to be able to parent items to a null or dragger. For instance if I want to parent both pupils to dragger, I could then just move the dragger around to control them.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add additional Mouths

I want to be able to add a mouths with smug and sad to my animation. Right now you are set to the provided number of mouth expressions.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base