Character Animator

Welcome to the Adobe Character Animator feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the Character Animator team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the Character Animator community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rigging and animating less complicated, please!

Rigging is much too complicated. I'd like to have handle bars or slider in order to move the marionette, I'd like to fix the head on the neck and to have the neck squeezing while the head stays in it's form, I'd like to hang arms to the body like in AE, I'd like to animate walk cycles instead of capturing something by the camera, I'd like to squash and sqeeze by mouse.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Rigging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Arm Movements changing on re-open

Ever since 2020 came out each time I reopen Character Animator all of my Arm movements are completely off. I can post a video for a better example. but the arms get turned around and down. almost like everything was flipped upon re-entry.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you hold down the Alt/Option key while clicking the Refresh Scene button (in the lower-right corner of the Scene panel), does it make any difference?

If not, can you send us a shared link to your project so that we can diagnose the issue? To do this:
    1. Choose File > Reveal Project in Finder/Explorer.
    2. Quit Character Animator.
    3. In the Finder/Explorer window that was opened, archive the project folder (the one that contains the .chproj file, and Ch Data and Ch Media subfolders) to a .zip file. Don’t just send us the .chproj file.
    4. Send us a direct e-mail with a shared link (via Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) to the .zip file.

Thanks.

3. Idea for mouth movements in Lip Sync function

Presently the mouth shapes for "ah" and "oh" are inserted as still frames as determined by the speech file.

How about we have intermediate frames for these mouth shapes? Like the transition from "ah" to "oh" could have just a few frames of transitionary shapes between these two (which we could upload ourselves). The program could then insert these transitionary phases in automatically depending on the order of the shapes. It would be very easy for the program to do this.

It would make the whole thing look so much smoother, and if it worked, I think would be an…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. select silent mouth shapes

I have a giant mustache so its hard for the camera to tell during silent moments if my mouth is neutral, smiling or open. would be great if when editing a recording you could select which of the silent mouth shapes that shows, rather than having to rerecord those parts.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Viseme order when pasting into AE

The information available on how to do this is, at best, incomplete and at worst, wrong.

Referring to the page here: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/adobe-character-animator/using/export.html#LipSyncTakeexportforAfterEffects
    Step #2 says to create a comp with the visemes "matching the order of visemes in Character Animator’s Visemes context menu" and gives an example of the order being Neutral, Aa, D "and so on".
    The problem is that in Character Animator (current version 2.11) the viseme order in the context menu is different. See screenshot.

Just to complicate things, the layer order of the visemes in the default head PSD is different again.

So… which is the…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Let the User input Numeric Values inside Sliders from the "Controls" Panel

Sometimes the User needs to input specific numeric values on Position X or any other property driven by Sliders.

It would be nice if he was allowed to do this by double clicking the Slider, or through a text box that also shows the current value from the slider.

When dealing with Grouped Sliders,
    the values could vary from 0% to 100%.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Solo mode for "Puppet Track Behavior" Recording

Add a "solo record" Toggle to "Puppet Track Behavior" items.
    Just like the solo button from AE.

With something like that, the User can simply record few Behaviors instead of having to turn OFF every other Behavior doesn't need to be recorded.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Revamping the Triggers Panel

On a big project, is kinda hard to look through every group of layers in order to fix or change the Triggers and Swap Sets.
    And sometimes we have to work with duplicated triggers to do something like running a Replay and a Layer Cycle at the same time.

What if we have a robust Triggers Panel, based on Adobe's "Keyboard Shortcut" window. So the user could search and attach
    his triggers to the keyboard, without worring too much about the Layers Hierarchy.

It could even be color coded, like on the Mockup image Attatched

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add "Carroussel" shortcuts to Swap Sets.

Let's say the User wants to mix different animations for eyes, mouths, noses, etc...
    36 shortcuts wouldn't be enough to a task like this. And not everyone has access to a MIDI controller....

What about adding shortcuts to cycle through the replays/triggers/items from a Swap Set?
    It would work like the "Layer Picker", but on Steroids!

The user could customize the "Carroussel" shortcuts, like:

. [A] for previous Replay or Layer.
    . [D] for Next Replay.
    . [S] to Activate the selected Replay / Or have an option to Auto Trigger the current Replay.

The Controls Panel would let the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Automatically release the Trigger from a Child Group of layers before releasing The trigger from a Parent Group

For example, the user has a group of Cycle layers,
    some of them are nested inside each other,
    and they are sorted like this:

. Idle_LayerCycle
    . Jumping_LayerCycle
    . Sitting_LayerCycle -> Sitting_And_Waving_Goodbye

If the user wants to go from "Sitting_And_Waving_Goodbye" to "Jumping_LayerCycle",
    he has to turn off the "Sitting_And_Waving_Goodbye"trigger,
    then turn off "Sitting_LayerCycle",
    to finally activate the "Jumping_LayerCycle" trigger.

Maybe we could have a less painful way to cycle through Nested groups.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add "Camera Input / Head Position Strength" Property to the "Layer Picker" Behavior

With that feature, the user could customize detailed Headturns
    or have more control when animating items like headphones or glasses.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow user to break the "Head Position Strength" Property from the "Camera Input" Behavior into "Horizontal & Vertical" Strength properties

This would let the user fully customize and improve advanced headturns (made through stacking multiple Face Behaviors).

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow CH puppet to create live track inside Adobe Rush (on iPad)

Related to streaming, it would be great if I could create a puppet on desktop but create a recording using the puppet on my iPad. I can author a video on my iPad using Adobe Rush which is pretty nice, but I had to give up using my puppet as the show host.

Yeah, this sounds hard. I guess more realistic is creating a video file and uploading to desktop. There is that separate request to allow a video as the background so you can use the timeline to move forward/backwards and animate over the top (keeping the animation in…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Streaming  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support Adobe Fresco / Adobe Draw for CH artwork creation

Adobe Draw on iPad and now Adobe Fresco support a flat list of layers - no nesting possible. It would be nice if I can use a flat list of layers and maybe use layer name to control nesting - e.g. “Head - Mouth - Ah” as the layer name instead of grouping.

This would however require Alfresco etc to support LOTS of layers. I know Photoshop is coming to the iPad - maybe that is the better approach. I just want vector artwork, so I want Illustrator on the iPad I guess.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make example puppets easily accessible after starting a new project

When you first open Character Animator you are given a list of example puppets, but it's not easy to go back to that menu after selecting one.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Being able to copy ALL parameters from one puppet and apply it to another

It would be great if you could copy and paste all rigging and other parameters from one puppet to another. Say you're creating minions, each slightly different looking from the others, but largely the same. Hours could be saved if you didn't have to rig each.

And if there were then a couple of issues that needed to be adjusted due to the unique properties of one (say he's only got one eye), that would still be much quicker.

Martin

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Audio Hardware

Switching monitors and auddio devices on a mac and pc causes a ton of these pop up boxes. Even when I select do not show again, I'm stuck having to close 10+ of these every time using Character Animator. I switch screens, audio devices (headphones to monitor) etc... a lot, so these add up.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Multiple mic input and camera

It would be good if you could use multiple mics and cameras within 1 scene, this would be handy if you are creating a talk style show with a generic guest, we could use the audio feed to run the lip sync of a generic guest character while we continue to run the lip sync of our character at the same time. This could be done by bringing in a skype call and allowing the guest to control the character remotely

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Streaming  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Drag triggers to timeline

I would be great if we could drag triggers from the control panel onto the time line instead of having to record each trigger, it gets time consuming when you have to turn off all other recordings just to add 1 trigger.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Preview resolution

I would be good if you could add a preview mode for animating in CH, so you can reduce the quality of the animation while animating to improve frame rate.

This is something that is done in After effects and think would work well in CH

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base