Character Animator

Welcome to the Adobe Character Animator feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the Character Animator team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the Character Animator community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. select silent mouth shapes

I have a giant mustache so its hard for the camera to tell during silent moments if my mouth is neutral, smiling or open. would be great if when editing a recording you could select which of the silent mouth shapes that shows, rather than having to rerecord those parts.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Optimize CH to work better with Illustrator

The older versions of CH as well as the latest version of CH still has issues with puppets created in AI. I tested the Chloe (AI) puppet in the latest version of CH and the performance is awful. I'm getting about 4.5 FPS. I tested the Red Monster (PS) in the same version of CH and it worked fine. Is there anyway to optimize CH to work better with puppets created in AI.

Laptop Specs: Dell XPS 9560 2018, 16 GB RAM, I7, 512SSD, NVIDIA GE 1050

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Bug: Waiting for camera forever on mac mojave

On Mojave (10.14.3), the camera doesn't work: It is "Waiting for camera" forever. The green light next to the camera comes on, but CA stays waiting. I've tried all the ideas found in google searches:
    - I can't change to the next camera (there's only 1).
    - I have given permission to the camera, and even rebooted after.
    - The mic works fine.
    - The camera works in other apps, e.g. Chrome (which also has permission, I just didn't include that in the screenshot).

Version2.0.1 (Build 8)

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Physics responds in random way, so it is impossible to record ball play

Physics responds in random way, so it is impossible to record ball play, because the ball work different every time you export. So maybe internal record (like life performance) would solve this.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add Volume level adjustment for imported audio clips

There does not seem to be a way to adjust audio levels from imported clips such as sound effects and background music. I can do this in an external app but its cumbersome and hit and miss. So having a simple audio level lever would be awesome and save a lot of time.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. viseme sensitivity control

Auto lip sync slider/control to determine the amount of visemes created for pre recorded audio.

We find we have to manually adjust the automated lip sync quite often as it seems to add a lot more visemes than required, if there was a sensitivity setting that could higher or lower the amount of visemes used that would be great.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Adjust the playback speed of Replays

Say you record a replay of a puppet dancing, but you want to use it in a song that has a different tempo. Wouldn't that be possible if you added a speed adjustment option, like in Walk Cycle?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. import video to scene as background

as that user can perform to match the timing of the background video

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

While the heading of this post is “import video as scene background”, and you can’t just grab any video file to do so, you can accomplish the requests of both comments in Character Animator now. By importing a PNG sequence. Once you’ve turned the video background you want into a PNG sequence, using an encoder/transcoder like Adobe Media Encoder, then, in Character Animator, go to:

File→Import Cycle→
    (browse to PNG folder and click on first image of your PNG sequence)
    →Import

You will create a puppet in your Project panel with the name of the sequence folder. Open this puppet in the Puppet panel (Rig workspace) and apply the Cycle Layers behavior to the root puppet layer. In the Properties panel, under ‘Behaviors’, you’ll see your Cycle Layers behavior and an item that says “Start” with a corresponding drop down menu that defaults to “Immediately”. Click on the drop down…

9. Let us record facial tracking markers

The facial tracking in Ch is so great, it makes me crazy that we seemingly have no access to it. The mouth is tracked in fine detail, but it seems almost entirely discarded. You can't record the markers, and I can't seem to find any way to drive visemes with video (sorry guys, but driving it with audio is too sketchy)

If Ch can give me a real-time, 1:1 line up with my face and the trackers, why can't I drive more with that? And why do I have to use AE's slow and error prone facial tracking to do…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Teleprompter Feature - Separate Tab or Onion Skin Over Scene

It would be great to have a Teleprompter feature that prompts the person speaking with a visual text of a speech or script.

This could take the form of a Teleprompter tab or an onion skin over the scene as it's being recorded (that is, the script is superimposed over the scene as it's recorded).

Since I do most of my recordings on an iMac, I could see undocking the Teleprompter tab and placing it at the upper middle of the Desktop, just below there the built-in web cam is located. Or, reading the text as is scrolls by while…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Recording  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. [BUG] puppet walks off screen

Hello there,

if I change the timeline, the puppet will be lost.

Could you please solve this issue?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19-nbBMItjpKVtPmi9pZnB5sX75VzQJFg

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
    Dennis

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enabling record for a take should not discard other property values set up for recordings

If you have say three properties armed (red dot on) and you set up all the draggers etc, then you decide to arm the "trigger" behavior as well, it loses all the other values you set up for armed behavior properties (e.g. all the drags you set up ready for the record are reset). I don't think arming or disarming a property should reset values for other properties (especially draggers). It should only reset a specific property if the "arm" (record) button is turned off for that property.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Choose anti-aliasing options

I want to be able to link dynamically with after effects, but the linked animation has blurry edges and not hard pixels that I need.

For instance part of the aesthetic is that my animations are low resolution, with pixilated edges. I cannot use character animator unless there is an option to export or link using a "draft" quality, such as in AE. Please give us a hard pixel export option (no anti aliasing)

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make the default be the last thing you did, rather than the pre-set default

Please change the default setting to what you did previously, rather than some pre-determined default. It is so irritating to constantly have to go back, un check the red buttons, etc.

For instance, in recording a walk behavior, you have to go back to the beginning, so your characters are in the correct place, then you have to make sure to fix the body speed so that they actually record. If you want to record it over again, you AGAIN have to go back re-do the body speed.

There should be a default to what you just did and then…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to copy and paste resolution settings when using high res PSD files to record Ch actions in low res

Please add feature where resolution settings can be copied as templates to use in instances where you need to animate with low res versions of bigger files to avoid clipping that occurs with less powerful computers, eg Start with a 4K master Photoshop file, then edit the Scene in 1080p to avoid clipping, then change the Scene settings back to 4K after all actions have been recorded. What we need to be able to copy is the scale size of the puppet, X/Y axis, etc. Not just the Scene pixels ratios.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Having a bar that limits the record parameters

In music sequences programs, there is generally a bar that you control for record in and out. So, for instance, if you just wanted to record something for .5 seconds, it would do that only and you don't have to go back and change all the little things that have been recorded past that time. For one character these little things can be 10-15 bars you have to adjust. I could send a picture of an example, but I don't think there is that capability here.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Keyboard shortcuts for arming behaviors

It would be very helpful for workflow speed if we could assign hotkeys for arming specific behaviors and puppet tracks. Instead of having to mouse over to the puppet to disarm it so that I can see it's current position, a quick keyboard shortcut would really help. Same with the item behaviors - if I have the Dragger armed, but I want to turn it off and instead use the mouse for Eye Gaze, I have to scroll through all the behaviors and find the ones I want to arm/disarm. If each behavior had an assignable hotkey, it would be…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make the 'Duration' of scene display exact duration instead of rounded value

The "Duration" property of a scene rounds floating point numbers to the nearest integer. So a value of 1.5 is displayed as 2. But when you click in the field to edit, it jumps back to 1.5. The request is to make the displayed value be the exact value rather than a rounded value. (

This is particularly made worse when a recording gets extended by a few frames. The scene length can be extended without you even realizing. (Should be a quick change.)

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base