After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a search box to Preferences

Would it be possible to add a search box to preferences so we can find what we're looking for super quickly? Sometimes, going through each tab trying to find the correct attribute can take a while.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Extensions are locked to <30fps on MacOS

The problem: On Macs, extensions are locked to <60fps, which makes performance feel much worse than on PC.

This makes any extension feel substantially worse on MacOS than on PC, especially today with higher refresh rate screens, the host app runs at 120hz while extension panels render at less than 60 (feels like 30).

I have posted more info about the issue on GitHub:
    https://github.com/Adobe-CEP/CEP-Resources/issues/467

Please take a look at this, it makes the mac experience with 3rd party plugins much worse, and hurts us as developers for the platform.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve "inline" styling of text via Expressions

It would be great to not only be able to use the "getStyleAt()" method, but also implement something like "setStyleAt()" in order to style portions of the text separately.

It would also help to be able to chain different styles together. Right now, it's impossible to do proper text styling with different style types programmatically. It would be incredibly helpful, especially for Templates / MOGRTs.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Select and label timeline elements to move them together in time

I spend too much time hunting and pecking for which timeline elements are associated with corresponding movement in the viewport. Shifting layers, in/out points, and keyframes in time often takes multiple selection passes. And there's no way to store that selection, so they each have to be selected every time they need to be adjusted (and in/out points can't even be selected so they all need to be done separately... every time!).

Selectable in/out points and labels/groups for ALL timeline elements--any combination of keyframes, markers, in/out points, and layers--would strengthen the visual connection between the timeline and the viewport AND…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. ACES 2065-1 flag in OpenEXR files

When writing out an OpenEXR file (either from Ps, Ae, or Me), the required flag is not set in the OpenEXR file that the file is coded as "SMTPE ACES 2065-1". As a result, it is then loaded just as a sRGB based OpenEXR. Perhaps even compressed, also not along the ACES guidelines for this.

That flag is a tiny piece of information in the file, and if provided, I hope it will be also read. So, yes, I have practically two requests.
    This information could be taken from the Project Settings in Ae.

I know that many people are…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support AU Audio plugins in AE

Allowing AU audio plugins inside After Effects in the same way as Premiere would be fantastic!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Stroke + Round Corners Broken

Currently Ae doesn't respect the order of effects when a stroke is applied before round corners.

Actual Order: Fill > Stroke > Round Corners
    Ae does Order: Fill > Round Corners > Stroke

This is most noticeable when having a large stroke of like 200. You can't get any small corners.
    please fix

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Reduce project deletes all files - Even files im using?

What's the point of reduce project?
    If I use it it just deletes all my comps, solids and so on.
    In this case I have 3 comps that I use. They are open.
    I do have a lot of old junk that is not used in my project.
    I use the reduce function and AE just deletes all my files and give me an empty project? Am I using this function wrong?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. what the **** happened to Vertical 2 view option??? DO you guys have nothing better to do than ***** up things???

WHy did you eliminate 2 view vertical option??? MORONS!
    each year i hate this product more and more - thats why I am moving over to Davinci!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Forensic metadata to be baked into every render

When I come across a video clip that I created some time in the past, I may want to find out what project it came from so that I might be able to make changes to that clip and render out a new version. Currently there's no automatic way for me to know what AE project the rendered clip came from, and I have to rely on my ability to remember or to have named it a helpful name or to have place the clip in a folder that helps give a clue as to what project it belongs to.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. More robust Round Corners functionality for merged paths within a shape layer

Round Corners offers a great, fast way to introduce rounding to otherwise sharp vertices—but this functionality does not consider several shapes as a single form when first using Merge Layers in the stacking order. If applying a fill or stroke to merged objects as a single shape is possible, why not rounded corners that considers merged objects as a single shape too?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. After Effects to run on cloud servers

I had a live chat session with AE technical support for a project our team is working on which requires AE to be installed and run from cloud servers with a plugin enabling personalised video rendering at scale.

I was informed that the current After Effects doesn't support running from servers and was suggested to raise a ticket here. Please consider. The AE plugin has a Bot version that supports rendering from cloud servers but AE can't.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Per character text styling for AE-built .MOGRT in Premiere

This has posed a serious problem for me recently. I spent a fair amount of time learning how to build out an animated lower third .MOGRT in AE so that I could just pop it into Premiere, tweak a couple sliders, input the text and have a nice banner where a scroll fades in/out & rolls/unrolls to reveal/conceal notes for citations and explanations. Since the content I work on is of an educational nature, there are tons of these banners, so streamlining the workflow in that way would yield serious benefits.

Unfortunately, those benefits have been significantly impacted by the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Glyph support in Essential Graphics

Currently, AE and Premiere Pro only support 'regular' text in Essential Graphics text values.
    It would be great to incorporate and make it compatible with glyphs, which many Opentype font have.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. gradient ramp transfer modes

I often wish that the Gradient Ramp effect would include a transfer mode option so that I could directly overlay the effect onto the same layer.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Keyframe Hotkeys

I use AE for character animation (because AE is weirdly much better for this than Adobe's app "CHARACTER ANIMATOR"), but it's very slow lip syncing by cmd+click to audio scrub the timeline, move down to the keyframe parameter, click, type the number, repeat every few frames. There should be a way to use some kind of modifier to minimise the amount of mouse clicks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. A new type of Passive Pin for Puppet Pins

It's always a hassle trying to "attach" Nulls or other layers to moving parts of a mesh with puppet pin.

This could be solved simply by having a type of pin that doesn't have any effect of the mesh, it is just "attached" to it. This would allow the placement of Passive Pins wherever you need on you mesh, and then parent Nulls or Layers directly to it, and making them follow the deformations of the mesh.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Photoshop Smart Object Support

It would be neat if Photoshop Smart Objects worked in After Effects. It's basically just pre-compositions. I was surprised to see this wasn't already a feature.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. After Effects error: Keylight out of memory. (4) (25::241)

After Effects error: Keylight out of memory. (4) (25::241)

Keylight (1.2) Playback error, Pops up after every play and pause action

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Camera Morph like Maxon

A tool/feature that creates a scene camera that animates smoothly between 2 or more cameras placed in the scene by the user. Could integrate controls for things like focus pulling, overshooting camera position etc. good opportunity to use ML or similar techniques to add life to the camera animation by referencing what experts have already created in film and motion gfx. not simply blending between the transformation values of the user placed cameras, but using them as place holders to direct the scene.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base