After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase Font Size on UI

The font size after long hours on AE is too small. After spending long days on the program, having bigger font would help.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix keyboard shortcuts access to right-click menu items

I'd like to assign keyboard shortcuts to right-click menu items I use frequently.

For example, Right-click: "Reveal -> Reveal Layer Source In Project".

I can currently assign a keyboard shortcut via the Keyboard Shortcut editor, however setting the shortcut for that particular action does not work. I see the key assigned next to the menu item but pressing the corresponding key does nothing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Preview Different Time while Editing Keyframes

Not even sure if this is possible, but, being able to lock the point in an animation that you are viewing while adjusting a keyframe either before or after where the current time indicator is placed.

I've been working on a big animation project and want to time things out that enter the frame and often have those objects outside of the camera view and am trying to key multiple object timings together at certain points.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Tracker analysis can't be stopped after it has run for a few frames

I'm running motion tracker analysis on a clip that moves a lot, so there's a decent sized search area. Each frame takes a few seconds to analyze. That's not a problem ... the problem is, once I start the tracker analysis using the play button (forward or backward), I can't stop it. Another user had a workaround, which was closing the AE window from the Windows task bar, but AE crashes instead of asking me to save.

If I hit "play" to analyze and quickly click the square, I can stop it. But if I click "play" and wait 10-15…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Can't drag in 3d space

After upgrading to AE 2020 I can't drag 3D objects on the z axis when viewing though the Active Camera. Please fix this ASAP.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. zoom shortcut broken

After Effects 17.5.1 (MacOS Catalina) still have Alt-scroll (zoom) functionality broken. I saw a post where Adobe Admin told that this issue was solved in 17.5.1 update, but it is not.
    If I have a comp without a Camera layer, with my SelectionTool selected I can press Alt and scroll to zoom in/out. But if I have Camera layer (locked or unlocked), Alt key switches to camera tool and when I scroll I'm changing the depth.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

After reviewing this report and discussing how the mouse wheel is used in 3D comps and the intent of the new behaviors with the camera tools in After Effects 17.5, we’ve decided to make a small change.

In Preferences > 3D, the Mouse Scroll Wheel Behavior option will now default to Magnify Composition, instead of Dolly Camera.

Given all of the factors, we concluded this is the best option to balance typical workflows and the new camera tools. And if you preferred the Dolly Camera option, this is an easy change to make.

This change will be in the next update for After Effects Beta (version 17.6, build 42 or later). Please test it when available and let us know if this feels like the right change.

7. New MAXON Cinema 4D File --> After Effects: AEGP Plugin CINEWARE SeceneLayer: Cineware AliveThread- Execute failed (5027:12)

AE Version 17.5.0 (Build 40) Cinema 4D S22
    I have Deinstalled C4D and After Effects and Reinstalled After Effects
    For the first time the issue is gone, but after installing Updates inC4D
    (22.123 and S22 Content Libraries - LIte the same Problem:
    EGP Plugin CINEWARE SeceneLayer: Cineware AliveThread- Execute failed (5027:12)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Motion Source choice to Mask Tracker

I would like the Mask Tracking to work on a Solid Layer, while looking to a video layer.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. M1 chip compatibility

The rotobrush causes an immediate crash with the M1 chip. Would love to see this fixed ASAP.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Keep Text Attributes when copying text from other applications

Working with kinetic typography, I get files with text set in InDesign or Illustrator. The designers spend a lot of time setting the kerning, tracking, leading and all text attributes so that the text looks great.
    When copying this into After Effects all attributes are missing and the text needs to be set up AGAIN. You could outline all the text, but then it would be a nightmare to animate and process corrections. Please help users save time and avoid work duplication. Thank you!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please add the ability to change fonts globally.

When dealing with clients who want to change the font of an entire project, that could mean hundreds of font changes in many comps. Please add the ability to globally change the font as well as the font size.

It would be amazing if this could be added as a expression control. That way i could have a font controller and say, all Title fonts should be this and this size. All subtitle fonts should be this font and this size, etc.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Current build sometimes has cmd+s just delete your project file save.

AE build 17.1.4, somewhat often pending project, will fail to save and delete the projects saved file. The work around is to save as almost every time. It's happened a few times over the last week, but today I've experienced it 3 times already. I screen recorded everything after I hit cmd-s. I've also attached a screen shot of my computer's specs. Actually, it's not letting me post with the recording attached, so here's a dropbox link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6cw4fqcne2iwjp/2020-10-20%2010-33-38.mkv?dl=0

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Render Queue - Remember [projectName] token on export

I have an export preset saved in render queue that uses the [projectName] token to export into a consistent place in my current project's folder structure. This is my default preset. However every time I add a new comp to the render queue, AE seems to think my project is an older project name. If I re-select my preset it updates, but that defeats the purpose of having a default preset.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fit timeline to current work area.

We do this a 100000000 times a day.

I would suggest 1 or 2 frames extra on each end. Visual air.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. When using projectPath render token, existing files are overwritten without warning

When using the "projectPath" property (render token) to manually set the filepath in the File Name and Location Template, if a file with the same name already exists, it will be overwritten without any warning when the user clicks Render. This should be fixed to prompt the user with a warning before rendering begins.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Closing one of two (or more) composition panels should make your other composition panels larger.

Currently when you have two more composition panels open (i.e. one is locked and you are making changes in a precomp and looking at the effects of that change in a different comp), the default behavior when you close one of those composition panels is to collapse any surrounding panels inward, leaving the other composition panels the same size.

This is annoying, because rarely do you want the effect control panel or your plug-in panel to expand. What you usually want is for the other composition panel to take up the space where the two were.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. space preview is either lagging, skipping frames, or playing incorrect frame rate

I'm having real issues with the using the space bar to preview. It is like it is skipping frames or playing an incorrect frame rate. This is just moving a shape layer across the screen so it shouldn't be a performance issue.

With testing, setting up 0 on the numpad and shfit+space to the same settings, they both playback absolutely fine, so it's only spacebar that is having the issues.

AE version 17.6
    Mac OS 10.15.7

EDIT - it looks like it's being caused by having 'show overlays and layer controls' enabled

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. LIVE LINK (!) seemless integration of autodesk 3DSMAX into after effects

as many of us in VFX have been working with the combination 3dsMAX - after effects , to create compositing / animation / camera / modelling it is absolutely obliged to have a fast integration like maxxon cinema 4D connection in after effects. the compositors link is NOT providing a real fluid workflow .
    els one has to switch finally to theFoundry nuke / autodesk 3dsmax. Yet after effects is a very fast solution . to keep this we'd like to have a simillar link , without scaling / axis issues , between 3dsMAX and after effects .")

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add a Fill Comp Proportionally function to Layer/Transform

The current options leave a piece of the Comp blank, or distort the aspect ratio of the Layer.
    The new function should cover the complete Composition, without distorting the image's ratio.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Update the way AE handles alphabetizing in the Project Window

Currently there is an unexpected behavior with how AE alphabetizes items in the project window. The addition of a character after numbers changes the order in a way that makes organization and renaming a challenge and sometimes a complete pain.
    Example:
    04-
    Above the dash will bring the 04- to the top. I'm told this is because numbers at the end are counted as numerals, but as soon as you add a non-number character after a number that number because a regular character. This seems to mean context plays a part in a character's value.

I would like…

82 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base