After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Auto-Align Layers/Comps!

It would be super useful to auto-align comps & layers.
    This feature would analyze Layer 1, then adjust Layer 2's position/scale/rotation. Much like the Photoshop auto-align feature.

• You wouldn't have to use guide layers
    • You wouldn't have to decrease the opacity of a top layer just to see if it's aligned to a layer underneath.
    • Super useful when resizing comps. For example, a 16x9 comp could auto-align if it needs to be re-sized to a 9:16,1:1 ratio.

Surely Adobe Sensei can match 2 similar-looking layers, then align them down to the pixel! If the auto-align analysis fails (due to not…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I lost faith in AE, dont think of your users as beta testers!

Im really loosing faith in After Effects, even on official releases there are just too many bugs. Rendering via Media Encoder is no longer possible, it is just doing random things like it renders to 50% and then the render speed drops down to like 1%. Multiframe rendering was a cool idea until I saw how it works, maybe it is faster, but how can it feel slower because of the lags and bugs at the same time?

I dont have time to constantly report bugs to you! Do you realize some people works with your software and maybe their…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ability to export & import keyboard shortcuts easily.

Please provide the ability to export & import Keyboard Shortcuts. I recently upgraded my computer, but can't bring my shortcuts along with me and have to reprogram them all. I know there is a work around for PC where you can find the shortcuts.txt file buried in the hard drive, but as far as I can find there is no way to do it for Mac. Thank you.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. *Critical* All Expressions get same error

Every single Expressions I apply throws the error
    "add() needs exactly two arguments"

This is making all work with expressions impossible in 22.4.0
    Will try downgrading...

EDIT:
    Downgrading to 22.3 fixed this instantly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Update Maya & After Effects Live link

Live Link for Maya and After Effects hasn't been updated for a while now, and isn't usable with CC 2022 and Maya 2023.

https://exchange.adobe.com/creativecloud.details.17593.autodesk-maya-live-link.html

It was really useful when it did work, and it'd be good not to have to run legacy versions of each program just for this feature. Can we get an update, please?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Addition of Evolution/Phase to Zig Zag shape layer operand

Addition of Evolution/Phase to Zig Zag shape layer operand. If the Zig Zag operand can create a variable number of ridges per segment of a shape, why can't the phase/evolution/offset of the ridge's starting point be adjustable?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Paste raster images directly into After Effects from clipboard.

Paste images from clipboard directly into a new layer in AE, which would automatically save an image file in some specified directory and create the link. I constantly get references from clients, screenshots, colors, style frames, plates for vfx, etc. that I need to pull in to AE quickly, and it's annoying to have to save a file from PS, then do an import, navigate to the file, etc..

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Pick whip doesn't work at all - 22.5.0

Just upgraded to a new laptop, Windows 11 and Afx 22.50 and the global pickwhip between layers just plain doesn't work. Have tried with mouse, wacom and track pad so it's software, not pointing device.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. "Collect Files..." not working at all on 22.4.0

I'm trying to package my project so I can move the whole thing to a new folder location. In the last version I was using, AE was crashing every time I would try to "Collect Files...". I updated to 22.4.0 hoping it would fix the issue, but now when I try to "Collect Files..." nothing happens at all. Also I have given AE full disk access in my system preferences. (I am running AE on a Apple M1 Mac Book Pro, macOS Monterey 12.3.1)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Option to show hidden properties when selecting keyframes by label color

A quick initial observation when testing out the new color keyframes: If I set a color on a keyframe and then hide that property, then set the same color keyframe on a second property and then choose 'Select Label Group', only the currently visible keyframes are selected.

It could be helpful to have a preference to switch between this existing behaviour, and showing all properties with keyframes of that color and selecting all of those keyframes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Revert or discard changes in Team Projects

When using Team Projects, there is currently no way to revert or discard your own changes. If a user makes some mistakes, changes their mind, or doesn't want to "commit" unnecessary changes to the cloud, they don't have an option to reset to the last shared version. This makes the feature effectively unusable, the user would have to push their changes regardless of whether they are desired or not. What if the changes are project-breaking? There is also no way to view Team Project Versions or Autosaves for After Effects Team Projects, even though this feature exists for Premiere.

Deleting…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Remove Parenthesis () around the "Footage" folder when using Collect Files feature

These parenthesis are HARMFUL to production servers like the one at the agency I work at, and are generally unnecessary for the auto-generated folder when using the "collect files" feature in After Effects. Just "Footage" would be TOTALLY fine, but the parenthesis cause a lot of problems for machines and teams that can easily get tripped up with special characters. Please remove them from that dependency!!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Expose the selected state for shape / mask points to Extendscript Scripting API

Add an attribute to the Shape object (Shape.selected ?) which is an array of booleans providing the selected state of each point on a mask or shape object.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. extComms error - Status code 0

I'm receiving this error in both after effects 22.2 and after effects 22.3 beta. It happens as soon as the app loads. It doesn't cause a crash, but I can't figure out what's causing it.

I'm working on a Macbook Pro 16" 2019 (intel based), macOS 12.2.1, 64gb ram, 8-core

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. BUG: Media Encoder always GPU despite CPU or GPU setting

We are creating Metaballs visual effects which require delicate setting using Gaussian Blurs.

We have animated projects using the new Gaussian Blur with the Project Setting set to Mercury Software Only.

When setting Project Setting to Mercury GPU Acceleration Metal, the visuals look vastly different.

When rendering with Media Encoder, no matter if we set the renderer to be Mercury Software Only OR Mercury GPU, it ALWAYS matches the appearance of rendering with AE Project Settings set to Mercury GPU.

In other words, Media Encode is ignoring and refusing to render in Mercury Software Only mode.

See linked file:
    -…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Create alpha channel (mask) from shapes

It would be cool if masks could be created from a shape layer.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this request.

Could you elaborate on how you would like to create a mask or alpha channel from shape layers?

Using a shape as a mask or an alpha channel is already possible in AE. There are several possible methods, and I'll outline some of them below, but please let us know what you'd like to see that is different.

Method 1: Copy a Beizer shape path to a mask path

1. This only works with Bezier shape paths. If you create a parametric shape path (rectangle, ellipse, star, etc.), right click on the path (e.g. Rectangle Path 1) and choose Convert to Bezier Path.
    2. Twirl open the shape's Path group (e.g. Path 1) and select the Path property.
    3. Edit > Copy or Cmd/CTRL + C
    4. Select the layer you want to add a new mask to, and draw a new mask on it. It doesn't matter…
  17. Roto Performance Abysmal

I don't understand why when I have 128GB, and 18 core processor, and a RTX 2080TI with 12GB of video ram that rotoscoping a 4k clip thats 10 seconds long, the performance drags down so much I have to wait 20 seconds to be able to add a add/subtract roto brush mark.

I look at my computer usage and After Effects is barely using 5% of my cpu and gpu.

The rendering of the frame not to mention the propagation takes SO long on a complicated roto, it's barely usable in my opinon.

Adobe PLEASE bump up CPU/GPU usage for…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Audio pipeline for essential graphics media replacement

Media replacement in Mogrts has been amazing for so many usecases. But as it stands, it is only pushing pixels outside of source compositions.

This means it still does not have a ton of use outside of still images or media without audio.

It would be great if I could use media replacement to replace a video clip in after effects, and have the audio from the replacement video playback as well!

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Multi frame rendering doesn't work

Hi folks ... MFR simply doesn't work for me. I use AE across 3 different work stations and it works on none of them.

I am using AE 22.4.0 on all of them . One of them is a dual socket 48 core machine, it doesn't work that even. When it is switched on the renders grind right down and crawl along. When I switch it off, speeds return to normal.

It is having the exact opposite effect for me. MFR simply isn't working for me on any of my workstations.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Fix grow bounds for Ae 2022

Grow bounds is currently not supported for Ae 2022.

I have found this a very useful effect in the past and would very much like to continue using it without having to restart Ae using Rosetta. I understand precomposing can be used for this, however applying this effect is often a useful approach.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base