After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PPro throws error message when importing an AeMoGRT (... "corrupt metadata" ...)

The full error messages reads as follows -
    "The Motion Graphics Template has corrupt metadata and cannot be installed".

Is it possible to refresh the metadata in AE?

I have about 200 props in the EGP and will rather not have to rebuild the entire EGP again; especially when there's possibility of another breakdown.

Restarting AE didn't help. Importing the AEP into a blank AEP didn't help. Renaming the Comp didn't help.

A very strong possibility of this metadata mess seems to manifests itself with props in the EGP disappearing. They're still there since trying to re-populate the EGP with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. fix the ******* render preview

FIX THE ******* RENDER PREVIEW

when did this software became so bad? I used after effects professionally for more than 15 years and oh my god how terrible things are now. I can't even render preview in real time anymore. I remember back in the day when I would render preview something, I would wait for the cache fill up how many frames it had room for and bam, here is your smooth, real time preview. Now jesus christ I can't preview anything substantial because things keeps slowing down and a stupid warning comes up "not real time" oh really?…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Speed graph - animating unlinked scale X and Y improvements (toggle X and Y priority)

It is common to animate the scale of an object along one axis (imagine a bar graph animating upward). Of course you do this by unlinking the X and Y scale proportions and increase the Y scale over time. And if you want the animation to be more dynamic you will use the graph editor. This is easily done with the Value graph. However, trying to do this with the Speed graph is very difficult. This is because the X influence is overtop the Y influence - and when you graph the handles of the keyframe in the Speed graph…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. BRING BACK THE TIMELINE BUTTON!!!

When working with multiple windows, the timeline button is essential. Why Adobe decides to remove it without any workaround. What improvement?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix this! After effects 2021 can no longer read image sequences from network drives

in the latest AE 2021 when trying to read image sequences from a network drive I get this error. This works fine in AE 2020, or if I copy the same sequence to a local drive. Must be a bug, so I hope Adobe can fix this or provide a solution.

After Effects error: Can’t import as a sequence. Found no matches for the selected file name.

( 39 :: 44 )

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/after-effects-error-can-t-import-as-a-sequence-found-no-matches-for-the-selected-file-name/m-p/10986538#M106354

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. illustrator import 10% size bug

After exporting a multiple-art board illustrator file to individual illustrator files, the new files import to after effects at 10% of the correct size.

It is the exact same issue as described in detail here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/illustrator-files-importing-at-10-size/td-p/11464768

There would appear to be a problem with exporting from large-sized canvas to individual artboards, which can't be corrected from within illustrator. Currently the only fix would appear to be copying and pasting the contents of the illustrator document to a new file.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Unsupported Video Driver Error on Startup

My laptop have Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 & Nvidia GeForce 940m, when I open Adobe After Effects it shows unsupported Video Driver.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. BUG: Incorrect change of Scale ratio when one value is negative

When two layers' Scales are manipulated, and one of those has a negative x or y value, the Scaling is not correct.
    See the movie for the behaviour: see how 80,80 is manipulated in de upper layer, and what happens to 80,-80 in the third layer.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. KBar does not work in the AE Beta (18.X)

I live and die by KBar and it doesn't work in the recent beta of After Effects (18.4+).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Adjust text box sizing within Essential Graphics

Not sure if this is possible, but if there's a way to parent the text box to nulls like recently applied to shape paths, it would be nice to be able to control the width and height of a text box through essential graphics.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to paste Position keyframe data to shape groups

If I have a 2D layer I see it’s Transform>Position as two values. I don’t know that there is a hidden Z value. I don’t understand why I cannot copy keyframes from this property and paste them to a shape layer’s Group>Transform>Position property. After Effects should intelligently paste the X and Y Position values to my shape group.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. bug report - layer panel

AE 2021 - The Layer Panel no longer displayers Motion Path handles for Effects or Motion Tracking. This is a major hindrance when animating and tweaking Effects paths or analysing Motion Tracking problems. See attached comparison from AE 2020 and AE 2021. I have also tested this in AE Beta and the problem persists.
    I am trying to attach jpg examples unsuccessfully.
    Here is a more detailed description:
    AE 2020 >Layers panel displays >Effects motion paths with editable bezier handles; and for >Tracking Motion paths
    AE 2021 Using the same settings, the >Layers panel does not display any handles for…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 3D preferences keep resetting after restarting application

Every time I go to preferences to turn off 3D Camera Navigation Gizmos the checkbox is checked again the next time I restart After Effects. I'd rather keep the composition markers shortcuts on as my default. Changing my keyboard layout also does nothing as preferences seems to override keyboard layouts.

AE Version 18.2.0 (Build 37)
    Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2
    Intel Xeon X5670 Dual 2.93GHz Processors
    128GB RAM
    NVIDIA GTX Titan X 12GB

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting this bug. I’m not experiencing this problem on my machine, so I’d like to explore this further with you. Can you please tell me:

What languages are your OS and After Effects are running in?

I’d like you to try resetting the preferences, and if that doesn’t solve the problem, I’d like to get copies of the preferences files in the before/after states. Please follow these instructions:

1. In After Effects, open Preferences > General. Click the Reveal Preferences in Explorer button at the bottom. This will open the folder where the preferences files are.
    2. Quit After Effects.
    3. In the preferences folder, navigate up one level. This will be the Adobe/After Effects folder and you’ll see folders for each release of After Effects that you’ve used on this machine (18.0, 18.1, 18.2, etc.). Move (don’t copy, just move) the 18.2 folder to your desktop…

14. Add back 2 views vertical and rearrange view options in toolbar

Know there's been a lot of talk about the updated view options. TBH, this new setup sucks.

I want my 2 views vertical back! I often am comping 16x9 animations. I need one viewer for my active camera, and a 2nd for my top view. Since I can no longer determine the layout of these 2 panels, I'm stuck with the horizontal view. This layout isn't ideal if you're working with a widescreen comp. It means your footage is suuuuper tiny in frame.

Don't eliminate the 2 view vertical though- it's useful for doing 9x16 comps. Just give us our…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. BUG: File Naming Templates Don't Work

For the last several releases of AE, the file naming templates to do not properly interpret the [projectFolder] location on Windows. If you assign an output path like "[projectFolder]\outputs\studio shots[compName]_[#####].[fileextension]", the output will not be in the expected location. It seems after setting this output if you save the project again and re-open, reassign the template again from a saved preset, save the proejct again, then reopen the project again, the output will then be written to the right location. Most of the time that works. It needs to be fixed regardless. Using 18.2.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. BUG: Fit up to 100% mot maintaining correct aspect ratio

When adjusting the window frame wit Fit IUp to 100% in the Composition viewer, aspect ratio is not being maintained correctly. Circles go from Being wider to being taller. This is in a square pixel HD comp and it does not display correctly until zoomed to standard percentage size.
    Issue is the same with or without GPU acceleration or any of the scaling quality setting (More Accurate)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Media Replacement + Plug-Ins

AE is like a Build-a-Bear. You start with the default, and then you dress it up. Plug-ins are essential to After Effects. As essential as pants on a Build-a-Bear.

Media Replacement is a great new feature, especially for MOGRTs. But you can't export a Media Replacement MOGRT that uses plug-ins anywhere in the After Effects project. I understand performance may be bad, but a warning that the MOGRT will be slow is preferable to never being able to combine MR and plug-ins. This is a hindrance for professional pipelines considering adopting a MOGRT workflow for motion graphics.

Please reconsider enabling…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Request: Shortcuts for Graph Editor Tools

Please make all of the Graph Editor’s tools and context menus accessible via custom shortcuts. Make Speed Graph and Value Graph a toggle, so one can easily switch between them with the same command.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Trimming a layer (rather than time stretching) by holding opt/alt with "Responsive Design — Time" enabled appears to be broken

I am using the "Responsive Design - Time" functionality for the first time in After Effects and unless I'm misunderstanding the functionality, trimming, rather than time stretching, appears to be broken right now.

I have a composition that contains a video clip that is replaceable via the essential graphics panel. The composition has a protected intro and outro. In the nested composition, I need to be able to extend the composition length via trimming, rather than stretching, in order to preserve the speed of the replaceable video clip contained within it.

According to the help page for the responsive design…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Network Shared Plugins Folder

Medium sized studios struggle with differences in plugins installed. Artists often encounter missing plugins when opening other people's projects. And keeping track of what plugin is installed where is a hussle.

Nuke allows linking to network folders (via Python) where every gizmo and plugin is installed. Loaded on application open. Of course licensing is still configured per plugin but it unifies what peple have and even with missing license you can see what it does.

Please give us such option

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base