After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bug: Errors when importing Animate .fla into AE project

As of the recent 17.0.2 update, I'm finding that I can't import Animate .fla files into AE.

The import dialog hangs for a while (whited-out in a non responsive state), then returns an error simply stating: "An error occured while importing this file. Please try again.". This error often appears behind the import dialog, and is easily missed.

This seems to happen with all .fla files, so I don't think it's a specifically broken file. On the previous AE / An version I had gotten around 50% of the way through a large project with fla importing working fine, and…

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Application icons are now inherently confusing to students

This isn't specific to After Effects, but all of the new purple icons in CC. I have students that rely on visual recognition to identify the various applications in the dock (and since the machines are locked, this can't be modified). Now that Adobe has decided to make every application icon look identical in the latest CC2020 update, I'm going to have spend time I could be using to teach the application, to showing them how to differentiate between all of the CC applications. This is idiotic, so please change it.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Layer Styles Blend modes not working correctly

When choosing Inner Shadow or Drop Shadow Layer Style, the screen Blending Mode is not working as it should. Screen acts like Darken or Multiply. Color Dodge etc is also not working as it should.

Viceversa, all darken Blend Modes do not work with Inner Glow. Multiply acts like Screen here.

I don't think this is intended behaviour. Although Shadows are usually meant to darken the underlying colors, when I choose Screen it should be Screen. If I want Multiply it should be Multiply.

There are presets available that use Inner Shadow with Screen and it is a pity that…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. After Effects 2019 error on exit

After effects error: string memory leak (83::2)
    I get this message on exit.
    I'm on windows 10, after effects 2019

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Don't require track mattes to be above the layer it modifies (and also allow re-use)

Requiring a track matte to be right above the layer it modifies seems like an archaic convention at best. Get rid of that requirement and make them like parent layers which can be anywhere and used by many layers.

330 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Set Channel’s alpha with masks does not work if set to same layer

The Set Channel effect does not seem to respect masks for the alpha source anymore, if the layer refers to itself.

When „Source Layer 4“ points to the same layer it is applied to, with the dropdown set to „Masks“, the effect would apply the layer’s alpha, but only within the layer’s masks. Now, it does not respect the masks at all and won’t apply the alpha.

Simple Setup: red shape layer with a mask, „Solid Composite“ with green color applied, then „Set Channels“ with „Source Layer 4“ set to the same shape layer, using „Masks“. See attached images for…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Hold key frames should disable motion blur for the property

I really would love to see the option to have hold key frames disable the rendering of motion blur. One example is that I have footage the has a time remap that ramps speed quickly from slow motion to sped up motion. I have masks that need to roto out a couple objects, but the motion blur jumps during the speed changes.this makes me split masks for the speed changes and adds a level of complexity to my comp.

Another example deals with a workflow that I use regularly that brings several similar shots into one comp so they can…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Cloud Based Team Projects Improvements

Please do your best in the next update so that we see real and tremendous improvements on Team Projects. This is essential since most of our workflows have turned completely online and collaboration has become greatly necessary. We need to see improved project and assets syncing options, a collect assets for team workflow option, so that you click once and get everything synced so that all collaborators can see and edit projects and assets if given permission by the project owner.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. RAM preview wont play, have to change audio devices

Having issues where the RAM preview wont play and have to change audio devices to get it to work.

This even happens when the audio output doesnt change. Will be working fine with speakers as the output...then it will start not playing and have to go the Audio Hardware tab, change the Default Output to something else, then back to what it was originally set at, then it will start playing the RAM preview again.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. tangent

Implement tangent (ripple) color grading tool in after effects for lumetricolor and sync with previsously made color in premiere

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. BUG REPORT: Exports from Illustrator not importing to AE

BUG REPORT:

All file types exported from Illustrator are not importing into After Effects (files tried: jpg, png, ai).
    When importing AE just keeps importing the same file image over and over again. It's the correct name, but the image is incorrect.

The workaround that I found is to re-save files in Photoshop, which is not a long term solution.

Thanks for looking into this

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. aerender does not respect mem_usage flags

among the many flags provided by aerender, there is a mem_usage flag. However it does not seem to make any difference, and while I used to be able to render 12 processes simultaneously on a machine with 32gb ram, I can't run more than 4 on a machine nowadays with 64gb without the entire machine grinding to a halt.

Perhaps the "percentage of memory" could be updated to be a fixed value to more accurately reflect modern needs.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Selective Loading of Third Party Apps at Startup in Premiere and AE

So, this would be an Advanced Option:

At startup, you would have the ability, via a key-combination, to have a list of third party add-ons and via a set of checkboxes, load or not load Apps you suspect may be creating trouble (ie - crashes or other issues like lock-ups or severe slow downs).

Normal loading would not see this option. Only after pressing this somewhat obscure key combination would the user see this list of add-ons with, by default, checkboxes already checked, to enable the existing installed add-ons. Then at that point, the user would be able to selectively…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Cache preview calculation cannot be stoped

After pushing the space bar for the cache preview calculation, After Effects does not respond any more. Only option is to quit After Effects with the task manager. Makes it unusable.
    NVIDIA Studio Driver 442.92

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add transform shortcuts to Shape Layer's Groups

It would be amazing if the transform shortcuts (A, P, S, R, T) could also work with Shape Layer's Group when they are selected.

This would be a workflow example:
    Double click a shape layer to reach its group. Then press "P" to edit its position.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Exact matches in Timeline search bar

Enabling exact searches (by surrounding a phrase with double-quote marks) would be very helpful in avoiding false positive results.

Eg. Let's say I have controller effects named "Position - Red" and "Position - Blue". If I search for "Position - Red", I'm going to be shown not only both of these effects, but also every "Position" property on the selected layers, because the search bar is searching for "Position", "-" and "Red" as AND/OR, rather than just AND.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Put after affects into iPhone

Put after effects into iPhone because some people don’t have a computer and it should be free.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. PresetEffects.xml file in AE 2020 not found Version: 17.0.6 (Build 35)

Please add back the PresetEffects.xml file. Currently, it's missing from version 17.0.6 (Build 35). Thank you.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Message d'erreur à l'ouverture d'After Effects

Bonjour,

Nous n'arrivons pas à ouvrir Mac Os Catalina avec After Effects, nous avons les messages.
    Que faut-il faire ?

Pierre-Émeric

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base