After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. After Effects 2020 on Mac does not work at all with Arri Alexa Footage

After Effects 2020 on Mac does not work with Arri Alexa footage that when imported into Premiere has the AMIRA LUT automatically added. You can see my first exampled here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27MpmJfKHqg and my second example from Arri's example footage here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9aRnCeu7PE The footage drops out, goes blue, and goes upside down becoming completely useless.

The only way to get the footage to work is to recompress it all and the reconnect, but we are talking a huge amount of ProRES 4444 footage that I really don't want to recompress, especially when it works fine in After Effects 2019.

I had…

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Scene Detect

Scene detect or cut/edit detection would be very helpful for those of us who get final cut videos from an editor who cannot provide project files with all the separate clips (or EDLs).

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. every time I start After effects, I have to log in. No Internet, No Adobe. Annoying!

Every time I start After effects, I have to log in. No Internet, No Adobe. Annoying!

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When adding a composition to AME Queue, give the user the option to pick "render settings" similarly to the AE render queue options.

I'm often using scaled down proxy footage for multiple compositions on big projects to speed up workflows. For final quality renders, I am currently limited to either using AE's render queue using the "Best Settings" render setting which locks me from doing more work in AE, or manually turning off all my proxy links before sending my comp to the AME queue.

I understand the dynamic link protocol has limitations which is why I suggest adding a dialog box or a preference option where AE users can choose the render settings that get translated to AME, allowing options other than…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. shape layer vertex point jumps off screen when zoomed in at 800%

I'm encountering an issue when trying to move vertex points on a shape layer. I select them and move my mouse, the vertex point then jumps way off screen. It seems to happen when I have my second monitor on, and goes away when I turn it off.

UPDATE: It seems the issue is actually related to how zoomed in I am. At 800% the issue occurs, but <=400% it doesn't happen.

I'm on Win 10, with a 4K monitor, scaling set to 125% in windows

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. AE 2020 (17.0.2) Color shifts when rendering

Starting with AE 2020 (on macOS Catalina 10.15.3) we're running into the following issue:

Whenever a live action footage comp in is rendered straight from AE to ProRes, there is a slight color shift and diagonal jagged line artifacts which were not in the original footage/comp.

As a workaround, we've tried rendering via AME. This solved the jagged lines but introduces an unexpected color shift to the footage.

This happens regardless of the render module (both Metal and Mercury Software Only).

Attached is a portion of the scopes in each case showing the color shift and the jagged lines and…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Option to parent individual shape layer vertices to the vertices of other shapes

It would be great if we could manipulate and parent specific vertices within shape layers to other vertices on other shape layers (rather than using Puppet Pins or third party scripts)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. how about a keyboard button you can select to access the contents of the shapelayers?

You press a button on the keyboard, or maybe a double tap, I'm thinking cc, and then you see the contents of your shape layer.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. repeatable bug in expressions

Below expression in text layer source text will cause instacrash. Seems to be on the 'sort' part but I really don't want to keep opening and crashing to figure out.

var str = text.sourceText;
    var shuffled = str.split('').sort(function(){return 0.5-Math.random()}).join('');

shuffled

osx AE, 17.0.2 build 26, system report attached.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. AE CC 2020 (17.0.2): Transform Effect Glitch on Render (Rotation)

AE CC 2020 17.0.2 Build 26
    macOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
    MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
    2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
    64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
    AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

There is a glitch that is especially noticeable with the TRANSFORM effect in AE CC 2020. Easily reproducible:
    New composition
    New solid
    Add transform effect
    Add rotation keyframe
    Add second rotation keyframe further down (1x cycle)
    Render

There are random black glitches on rotation. This does not happen with the native transform (non-effect version).

Does not appear to be reproducible with RX580 in 10.14.6.

Issue disappears with Mercury Software…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add a 'Scripts' Top Menu & allow Sub folders/sub menus for ScriptUI items

Please add a 'Scripts' menu item at the top next to the 'Effects' menu item. Also, and this is more important than the scripts menu item, PLEASE enable sub folders/sub menus for scripts so that we don't have to scroll through a long list of scripts & can better organise them into related categories.

I feel like this would be pretty simple to do. And would look like this in the interface:

Scripts > Character Animation > (all related character animation scripts in a drop down menu here)

This would be great as it would allow people to organise their…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Global Proxy Button

Global proxy on/off button like the one found inside Premiere Pro would be great.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. png naming mismatch AE and AME

Hi there, operating on CC2019 and I have no interest in responses that say move to a newer version.

Rendering a PNG sequence out of AE writes PNG files name format differently to Media Encoder, so if I need to replace PNG frames for a revision and use AE to directly render the replacement frames the naming conventions don't match up - this is an incredible oversight - why would you possibly have AE and Media Encoder write PNG names differently?!?!

Similarly I tried to write my replacement frames in with Media Encoder, and it started to number my frames…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. idea proposal

Hello. My name is John Bingham. I am not sure where to start with. I am looking for the right person to discuss nonconfidential information about my conceptual idea. I hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. BUG: After Effects hangs on project open

The open project dialogue which normally shows a progress bar is white. The error is unresolvable and the app must be forced to quit.

After Effects 17.0.4.
    OSX Catalina 10.15.3

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. URGENT BUG - Effects on 3D shape layers don't show at all - 2020 17.0.2

This is a crucial bug that needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY!

Any shape layer that's 3D doesn't show any effects. If 3D is disabled on the layer, the effects show.

This is a crippling bug introduced in the latest update and it needs to be fixed ASAP!!!!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Possible bug with timecode override checkbox in a ProRes output module

Bug Report:

I suspect a bug in Quicktime Format options when setting custom start timecode (vs using timeline timecode).

"Output Module Settings"> set to Quicktime ProRes422 > "Format Options">"Quicktime Options">"Set Start Timecode" checkbox and customize value.

If you check the checkbox, customize the value, click "ok", reopen "Format Options" checkbox is unchecked and value default.

This is on Windows 10 with AE v16.1.3 & v17.0.0.

Please let me know if this is a reproducible bug, or if this setting is not expected to work with certain codecs, like ProRes422, as I'm testing it with.

Thank you.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Change to custom workspace -> CRASH

When changing to a custom workspace, no project open,
    AE is crashing.

I thought we got rid of this problem 2 years ago....?!

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base