After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. after effect 2020 not working at all

I have been working on After Effect for many years since variation 3.1. I've never come across such a thing. Projects that open without problems in version 2019 cannot open at all in version 2020. When I open a project - The process then begins and then the program collapses. I've done tests and prepared only one-layer projects in version 19 - and those didn't open in version 2020 either

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expression Console

Is there any way we can get a Chrome-like console for expressions? After a certain point, with a complex expression it becomes really hard to test for bugs as you have to basically run the same code on a text layer or some other property and rewrite the code just to get some sort of output for variables. Being able to have a console would be excellent (especially to inspect objects), but a great stopgap would be the ability to post a value to the info palette, like we can with scripting.

Expressions were already important, and with Master Properties…

98 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I tried the tutorial for creating a composition but fails

At the point it says to drag the logo to animate it, I am unable to Shift and drag the logo to the bottom so I cannot continue.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Source / Masks / Effects & Masks effect option scriptable

It is possible to set and change each property of the effects with a layer selection dropdown (such as Set Matte or Compound Arithmetic) via scripting, however the selection for 'Source / Mask / Effects & Masks' is currently inaccessible (via script).

Please reveal this dropdown property to the Extendscript API for all effects with a layer selection dropdown.

Screenshot of this inaccessible dropdown is attached.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Open pre-comps as Folders / Groups in the timeline

Folders and groups are the same concept—as the already existing "Pre-comp". The thought behind the "Pre-comp" is to “group” a set of layers. Rather than reinventing the wheel and making After Effects more complicated with added new features like groups and folders, we can improve the functionality of the "Pre-comp".

Here is a demonstration of how that would work: https://vimeo.com/137312858

Suggested Shortcuts:

/ = Split Timeline to show pre-comp. Only works when comps are selected.

372 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SWF support is broken if SWF is placed on a server

After Effects doesn't recognize SWFs if the SWF is placed on a server. Full brakes the whole workflow for any studio using Animate CC...

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Expression pickwhip to Checkbox

pickwhipping to a checkbox
    should automatically write

.value

at the end of the expression

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Send multiple audio layers to audition as multitrack session

I often rough in voiceover and musical timing in aftereffects as I'm blocking a sequence. It would be nice to send those tracks to audition as a dynamic link multitrack session. Currently my workflow is to render audio stems from AE for finessing, but there are obvious limitations there.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. RTL Language Issue (Arabic)

It seems that there are a lot of hoops to jump through when working with languages that are in the RTL form.

Specifically I'm trying to update a video to Arabic translation and when I paste my text, it comes in backwards.

I've updated my Type prefs, using Adobe Arabic, updated to the latest version of AE (17) and have the correct paragraph direction selected.

I ended up finding this sort of work around, but I have to copy/paste text from the PDF I have, to the website. Then copy/paste the text from the website to my AE file.

While…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. AE file opens with correct version by default.

What if instead of waiting for AE to load--only to tell you that it's the wrong version--the project being opened recognizes the various versions of AE on the system and automatically selects the one that will work?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. set matte should have the option to fit composition or layer

actually it fits the layer size and stretch the Matte layer.
    So if we use a layer with a different ratio in the composition it not useful.

With this option, it would have the ability to ignore transformation like rotation size and position... so the Set Matte would work as a Track Matte Layer and we could animate behind it.

It would safe a lot of layer count and space.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. ONION SKIN!!!

There needs to be an onion skin option for frame by frame drawing, it's not difficult!

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. duplicate layers below

it would be nice to have the option to duplicate layers below the source layer. Maybe via a shortcut, like "command + control + D".

It's handy when using a bunch of "index - 1" expressions

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. BACKGROUND AUTO-SAVE, Auto-save should not interrupt your workflow

The title says it all. Auto-save should function in the background and NOT pop up with an annoying progress bar every time it runs. Gets REALLY bad on large project files when auto-saves take up to a min every single time.

Total workflow killer. Should be just like taking snapshots of your project in the background while continue working.

The dialog even pops up and steals focus from another app you're in.

253 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. AE crash when copying a null with a lot of markers

using a null to mark MPB of a song.
    When I copy it from one compo to other... AE crash...

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Rebuild AE from the ground up so everything runs on the GPU

Last night I had to wait 5 hours to render out a 7min sequence on a 6core i7 with 2 x nVidia1070. GPU usage never went above 4% for GPU 0 and 0% for GPU 1. CPU thread 2 never went above 35% whilst all other threads stayed around 10%. Network usage never went above 350Mbps on a 10GBe connection. Every year users request that AE uses more system resources yet it still never seems to happen. By your own words AE is the industry standard for motion GRAPHICS yet it hardly utilises the GRAPHICS processing unit at all. Every…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Guide layers appear in render

2020 Bug. Please fix.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Implement "System Layout" (as in Ai) in the Character's Panel

Using Adobe Fonts such as Source Han Sans seemed very tempting. But with Japanese, I've found that the self-contained space Japanese period and comma are supposed to have after them, disappears. Something similar happens with spaces which are way smaller than they should be.

Looking around I saw Adobe Illustration has an option named "System Layout" in the Character's Panel that by ticking it the issue gets automatically solved. It'd be great to implement this, and not only for Japanese but I'm sure it will be nice for Chinese and any other typeface with similar issues.

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Dropdown Menu Control should not reset Master Property references in other comps

Adding/Removing items in the Dropdown Menu (DDM) should not reset any keyframes or expressions in other comps when using Master Properties.

Likely, anyone using the DDM w/ MPs is doing some complex rigging, and having to start over from scratch if you need to add an option breaks almost any usefulness from being able to combine these awesome features!

A nice UX would be to ask if you wanted to reset any keyframe or expression data, or let you choose to leave it, and deal with any resulting consequences like expressions breaking, etc.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. add 24bit audio export

24 bit is frequently asked for. Please make it available.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base