After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 3d options not available on 4k monitor scaled to 150% (BUG)

Running AE 18.1.0 (Build 38) on Windows 10. Using a laptop with a 4k monitor connected. AE is running on the 4k monitor, and the monitor is scaled to 150% via Windows Display Settings.

I created a comp with 3D layers in it, but the 3D buttons/options that are normally in the comp panel do not show up (3D Fast Draft, Camera Selection, 3D View Layout, etc). I am aware that in this most recent version, the 3D options only show up when a comp with 3D layers is active. This is not the issue I'm having. If I drag…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug. We have been able to verify that the 3D controls in the Composition panel toolbar won’t draw correctly on Windows in two cases:
    1. Changing the display scaling of the monitor while AE is active.
    2. Moving AE (or possibly just the Comp panel) to a monitor with a different display scaling factor.

The result in both cases is that when AE calculates where the 3D controls should be drawn, it’s not factoring the change in display scale and it’s drawing them in the wrong place. If the display scale increased, there are fewer pixels to work with so the 3D controls either get cut off or disappear. If the display scale decreased, the 3D controls are all there but they get an extra margin on the right.

The workaround is to restart AE, so that the 3D controls read the display scale correctly…

3. The ability to Lock paths - like masks - inside Shape layers.

The ability to Lock paths - like masks - inside Shape layers. This would be useful for character animation with overlapping paths, making selection easier and more precise with complex rigs.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Overwrite / yes to all

In a design process, it can come in handy to overwrite a lot of renders over and over. As a service, AE adds 1 when a filename already exists.
    I would like to have an option to just overwrite All, without having to go to the Folder and removing old versions, or remove
    1 from each new Output filename.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Get rid of 'More Options' button in Interpret Footage

Since... well, forever... the 'More Options' button in the Interpret Footage dialog has only ever been applicable to Vector footage (Illustrator/EPS) and then has only ever contained one parameter, the antialiasing quality (correct me if I'm wrong?) As such, it's dumb to have to click a button just to open up ANOTHER dialog that only contains 1 option.

Please move the Antialiasing menu out into the main footage dialog, replacing the More Options button. Ghost it when it's not applicable like everything else.

See attached mockup.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for filing this request.

The More Options button is used for more than vector files. The most common use case is for raw video formats, such as RED, Arri, Sony, Canon, etc. There are some other cases, but I don’t have them catalogued in my brain.

What I’m hearing from you is that the step to get to specific settings for AI/EPS files is an extra click that you’d rather not do. There’s a variety of ways I imagine we could solve this in the UI, everything from trying to make the Interpret Footage dialog accommodate footage-specific custom panels (difficult), to a more accessible menu command for the More Options button, or something else entirely.

In your ideal world, how would you like to see this work in the UI?

6. Batch Proxy Relinking & Improved Proxy Creation

So it has been a long time since i needed to create proxies for after effects, but today I did and was horrified by the workflow.

You have to literally do it one-by-one for each file in the project list. Alternatively, AE likes to just create a useless composition, per piece of footage instead to render, and then re-links all of those to the proxy.

There is no way to batch link them! I decided just to do it in media encoder and do it one by one.

This could massively be improved by being able to select several pieces…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. [BUG] Draft 3D not working

Updated to 18.0.1 today. New Project. Draft 3D button is clickable, but nothing ever happens. If hovering the button, it says 'enable hardware accelerated panels in prefs/display', yet I got that already on. Could anybody help? What did I miss? Does the GPU or driver version matter?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Draft 3D Crash on 18.2.0

New bug on latest update.

I'll work in Draft 3D for ten minutes or so before suddenly my GPU goes from 0%-12% straight to 100% and locks there. After Effects suddenly throws some kind of task to my GPU that prevents anything else from happening. After this state becomes active, turning off Draft 3D/switching to adaptive res does nothing. No way to break whatever task AE has sent to my GPU without end task'ing AE. AE does not hang, but chuggs along as one would expect when the GPU is maxed out.

No clear activity causes this. It seems to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

To understand how After Effects is getting into this crashing condition, we need to profile what it’s doing when it crashes.

The easiest way is if you could send us your project so we could attempt to recreate the crash ourselves.

David, do I have your permission to contact you via the email address provided on this site?

9. Visibility of After Effects Work Space

I am 90 and taking a course in AE for personal enrichment at my local Junior college. The current workspace for AE is all black and the icons at the top are o small - that combination makes it difficult to use. I saw a tutorial on Vimeo in which the workspace was a light grey in color and the icons where reasonably large to be able to use. So I suggest that Adobe make this a new standard for new users and beginners to learn AE more easily. As a former technical writer/editor I wrote highly detailed instructions manuals…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Assertion (0) failed (DEBUG)

I have this error all the time! I can´t work. I did an entire project and now this happens all the time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this report.

Our devs looked at your screenshot, and this looks like a case where your GPU is running out of memory. Normally we expect After Effects to self-manage in this situation, or at least to give a better error message, so we do consider this a bug.

To diagnose this further, we need your help. We need more information about your hardware and how After Effects got into this situation. Could you please tell us:
    - About your GPU. Manufacturer, model, VRAM, and driver version.
    - Does the problem persist if you restart After Effects, or failing that, when you restart the computer?
    - What other apps do you have running at the same time? Does the problem occur if you quit them all? (Including web browsers, which are notorious for consuming VRAM.)

11. Split this forum into BUG REPORTS & FEATURE REQUEST sections

Why is this site combining Feature requests AND bugreports together.
    I can't even filter Requests from bugreports.

At least a filter would be nice to have!

Thank you

232 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. mogrt media replacement scale to fill/fit does not save

The default setting for media replacement does not save and actually work. It always resets to "scale to fill" whenever the mogrt is exported.

Win 10, AE 18.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. After Effects v18.0 stuck at "Initialzing Required Components"

Running version 18.0.1 on Windows 10 (20H2) OS Build 19042.867

Any time I attempt to start AE, it fails to start the application getting stuck at "Initialzing Required Components"

I've tried rolling back by video driver (NVIDIA GeForce GT 740, Driver version 461.40) with no luck.

I've also tried removing the 18.0 folder located at C:\Users<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\18.0

Crash report is attached.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Keep names when dragging expression control properties into Essential Graphic panel

Currently when you drag a property into the Essential Graphics panel the name defaults to the most generic version of the property.

For expression control properties that have specific names defined already, it would save a lot of time for the EG panel to use those customized names as the default (instead of "color" "slider" "checkbox", etc)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Want to place Anchor points to specific locations (up/down/left/right) or short cut key to locate them

Want to place Anchor points to specific locations (up / down / left / right) or short cut key to locate them

I want to be able to easily switch the position of the anchor point of a shape or text layer to the center or edge etc.

テキストシェイプレイヤーのアンカーポイント の位置をデフォルトで簡単に中央や端に移動できるツールを実装して欲しい

91 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow Set Matte effect to see/respect transforms

If I want to use a layer as a matte using Set Matte, AE won't recognize any transforms (position, scale, etc) that I've done to it within the comp. It will only see them if I precomp the layer, adding more complexity to the file, and causing other issues.

Instead of just the option to use Source, Masks, Effects & Masks, can you add transforms? Maybe instead of the pop-up selector, you could have checkboxes, so the user could choose what combination of modifiers they want to use.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bug: RenderQueueItem.onStatusChanged does not work.

The callback does not get called until EVERYTHING in the queue is finished rendering and the queue stops, making it effectively useless.

The documentation here says that you can stop or pause the queue using the callback function, but you cannot even do that because the callback is not called until the Queue is stopped in the first place.

https://ae-scripting.docsforadobe.dev/renderqueue/renderqueue/#renderqueue-render

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please make Track Matte (and other basic tools) 32bpc

When blending between two layers using a track matte (luma) and exporting to full float EXR - from a 32bpc AE setup - then as soon as the part of the shot where the track matte starts to get used, the file sizes drop heavily - indicating loss of information (I'm creating a loop, so it's not like I'm fading from tons of detail to black - I'm fading from tons of detail to tons of detail). All of my layers inside AE have effects on them that should be good for 32bpc (no warning flags in the effects).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. sourceRectAtTime is delayed in v18.1

When changing the source text (by keyframes or expression), the width and height values are delayed by a few frames. The sourceRectAtTime expression was working perfectly in the previous versions

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. MOGRT controls don't update audio track in Premiere

When I make a MOGRT control to play one audio track or another (by turning down the stereo mixer on one track or the other), it works as expected within AE, but once I go to Premiere, the MOGRT audio track never updates again, no matter what, after it's first dragged into the sequence.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base