After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Text Recolor Issue

I'm having trouble with recoloring text in AE. I highlight one line and it colors 2 lines, or I color a few words and it will color the line below what I had highlighted. I tried bringing the project into a new project in case the original project was corrupt and tried a new text box and typing it in manually, but it keeps ending up the same. Screencapture below: https://www.loom.com/share/1b8eaae9ea264d4c95aebe8cf10a3e73

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. FIX TEXT on AE 22.4.0 (Build 56) on MAC 12.4

I think there is a problem with text using After Effects 22.4.0 (Build 56)
    I don't know why but when you type a text and hit the enter key to go to a new line, the last character goes to the other side of the sentence.

I've changed font, compostion, I cleaned cache file, restart the program but nothing change.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add a method to set the project panel as active.

'app.project.activeItem' is very limited since it can either be an active viewer or an active item on the project panel. There's a workaround for open comps with 'app.activeViewer.setActive()' to make sure you are on the viewer but there's no workaround for the opposite. There is no command to make sure you are operating with the selected project panel items.

if I want to 'executeCommand()' on the project panel selected items, but the panel is not active. I'm basically defeated.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. After Effects Warning: Invalid Menu Operation - related to amount of compositions

I believe I just found a current problem related to the "Invalid Menu Operation" warning that has been discussed on this forum several times before.

I'm working on a project that has a lot of compositions.

If a composition is used more than 1168 times and I try to right-click it in the Project panel, I get an "After Effects Warning: Invalid Menu Operation" popup.

I tested it in CC 2020 and CC 2022 - same bug.

I had four different pre-comps used over 1168 times in other compositions. As a test, I just kept deleting the comps that used…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. After Effects crashes when importing a photoshop composition when you have an AEGP file in the plug ins folder.

An AEGP file is necessary to have in the AE plug ins folder to use State Sets with 3DS Max. Unfortunately, having the AEGP folder makes After Effects crash when importing a Photoshop file as a composition.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make animation presets compatible with Essential Properties

It would be amazing to be able to save and apply animation presets to Essential Properties. This would be a game changer for character animation. We could save frequently used poses or short animations as presets and apply them quickly.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Problems using Anchor Point tool on 3D layers with the new Gizmos.

You used to be able to snap the anchor point to layers when using the Anchor Point tool (y) and pressing Shift or activating the snapping checkbox, now it doesn't work with the new gizmos.

Also... it's pretty useless defaulting to the same type of gizmo used for the SELECTION TOOL and not having any way to change it when you CAN'T rotate or scale an anchor point. Now you have to go to the select tool, select the POSITION gizmo and then come back to the Anchor Point tool again if you want to move an anchor point in…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Curves on Masks

HI, I currently create a new layer for every curve(s) I apply. I thought I may be able to apply curves to masks so I could have multiple curves (colours) in one layer. Unfortunately I cannot do this and I am guessing it is about the 'paths'. Is there or could there be a way to turn masked sections into layers - although this may increase file size. I become limited to only changing one colour (applied curve(s)) a layer so if i have 5 masks they are all the one colour where I want say 5 masks of different…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Split the Difference command

How many times have we tweaked something only to wish we'd tweaked it half as much?
    Well, I propose to you, a split the difference command. It's like...half of an undo (and it should sit near it in the menu). Kinda like the fade command in Photoshop, but more quick and useful.

I understand that this would likely only be available on adjusting parameters with numerical values (and colors, since they're numerical too) and it wouldn't work for something like Curves or ye olde Colorama, but I think it would still be amazingly handy to have. Please and thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Shatter Effect Performance V22.5.0

Having major issues with V22.5.0 performance when trying to use the Shatter effect

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Performace lagging on Intel Macs since version 22.3

New After Effects versions since version 22.3 are incredibly lagging in preview performance on Intel Macs. Simple animations like a text animator take a long time to preview. Tested on iMac Pro 2018 on macOS 10.15.12 and 12.4.

After Effects 22.2.1 works as expected, performance is good. Please bring back acceptable performance for Intel Macs so we can use the newer versions.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Set master properties panel to the comp I'm currently working.

Every time I add some property to the master properties' for the firtst time, it works as intended. But when I go to another comp, and add a new property to the master property panel it adds it to the last comp's one, rendering it useless and also looks like a bug.

I'd like the essential's panel to be always linked to the current comp I'm working on.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Update the Add Grain effect to use GPU and 32-bit

I need to apply grain frequently in my work to clean plates I’ve created, and it needs to match the 6k/4k HDR plates I’ve been provided. I prefer Add Grain to Match Grain, as it’s quicker and more accurate for me to manually set it. Because of the size of the plates, and the lack of GPU acceleration in this plug-in, it’s the main bottleneck in my rendering speed, plus 32-bit would help with color fidelity. Obviously, multiframe rendering would be great, too, but I would at least love GPU acceleration to start!

53 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. After Effects Needs a Node Editor (and other small changes that would make it the best software ever)

After Effects could dominate the market if the developers simply did this:

Rewrite the software so that you have the option to work with nodes in a dedicated window AND still use layers as default (Blender does this, so I know it's possible).
    The key to making After Effects the industry dominating software it ought to be, is by keeping the easy to use and super clean UI that it already has, while optimizing its functionality.
    For instance, if After Effects had it's standard "layer" timeline, but also gave users the ability to work 'under the hood' for more complex…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Image import not fit for purpose

I'd like to replace the embarrassing image import code (presumably knocked together by an intern in 1998?) with something that has functional parity with the rest of the Adobe CC apps. Why should a JPG that opens without issue in Photoshop/Illustrator etc. cause After Effects to soil itself? Why can AE still not deal with CMYK bitmaps? Why does AE still not give you actual useable info on which images were not imported, rather than having to dismiss 2, sometimes 3 individual error messages for each image and then having to manually sift through what did import and try to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Liquify effect: can't set source location by Option-clicking

Just noticed that I am not able to set a source location while using the clone tool (inside of the liquify effect). When pushing the option key (Mac OS), the 3D camera tool shows up.

After Effects version: 22.2.1 (german layout)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add a search box to Preferences

Would it be possible to add a search box to preferences so we can find what we're looking for super quickly? Sometimes, going through each tab trying to find the correct attribute can take a while.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Preferences: Default keyframes colours

It would be great to have an additional "Preferences" category similar to the "Labels" or "Scripting & Expressions" which let you set default colours for keyframes of standard properties.

Example: Position Yellow, Rotation Red, Scale Green

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base