After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Multi Frame Rendering slowing down machine

Working on a 2.5 minute timeline, lots of layers, but very powerful machine, 128gb ram, 4 GFX cards, i9-9940X CPU -- green ram preview bars would appear, but playback would be impossibly slow, even on playback of just text on the screen. I went and turned MFR off and instantly was able to use my project again. :shrugging-emoji: Can't share file due to IP but... yeah this was not good. I was losing my mind and on deadline.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Speculative Preview: A way to disable it

My scenes are intense. letting it do it's thing will fill up 128 GB of ram in no time. Having to purge memory every time i come back to AE has given me carpal tunnel. AT LEAST have it respect the skip frame setting. I set my work area very specifically to account for RAM availability at a particular skip frame.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. animation preset is not working

hey it's not taken me 20 mins from clicking report a bug to dive thorugh a dozen pages where I've not been able to just report the bug, so marvel at my herculean effort to not FBOMB my way through this 'feedback'

the text animation presets don't seem to be working in latest AE. I'm on mac osx Big Sur. I'm trying to apply the fade up characters preset and it's giving me some error about the null at line 1 isn't an object or something....

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. After Effects Under Rosetta 2 (and M1 Native) Hangs and Crashes Running Non-Plaintext Scripts

No Mac version of AE will run obfuscated (usually purchased and copy-protected by obfuscation) JSX or JSXBin scripts. 2022 under Rosetta 2 doesn't work. The M1 native beta doesn't work. Attempting to run any hangs with the spinning cursor and needs to be force closed.

Plain-text scripts work fine, but that isn't good enough. This issue is disastrous as many of us use purchased scripts in our workflows.

AE 2022 is supposed to be compatible with M1 under Rosetta 2 - this is a MAJOR PROBLEM

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Option for temporary prefs reset

On more than a few occasions I've needed to check and see if my workspaces have been contributing to issues that arise in the public beta. The official way to reset all my prefs is to launch the app while holding

• Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
    • Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS)

This works but it completely obliterates all my prefs custom workspaces forever. I currently go to that folder and make a copy before doing this but that eats up time and is a pain. I'd like to have a temporary option to load the app with default preferences (perhaps by holding z with the…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Why can't we turn of "Speculative Preview" option - AE 2022

I tried the "Speculative Preview" option and it seemed like a great feature .. but the I realized that it is eating RAMs on background .. which means if I am checking my mail -for an instance- AE will take all the available ram to make idle rendering, and that causes a lot of lags and freezes in my windows
    so simply put a "turn of" button for those who doesn't want the option .. or an option to limit its access to RAMs

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. More love for 360/VR in After Effects

since 2018, Ae has not been updated in relation to VR/360 workflows. Ae has limited VR effects and the VR Comp Editor workflow which is also very limited and delicate script and expression heavy process.

Ae should have a spherical camera, mono and stereo. this would obsolete the stiching workflow of VR Comp Editor and it's limitations. 3d plugins like trapcode or stardust are very breakable, also all the 2d effects won't work properly without the use of 3rd party tools and even then it's very limited.

these new technologies should not be left behind, there are great things motion…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. With the option to have a multi app subscription, add After effects with premiere pro, it just makes sense.

Every program has a mutli program subscription, some make sense, light room with Photoshop, how about making it so after effects pairs with premiere pro like it should. Or have the subscription page a mix and match. Noone should have to buy two subscriptions just to put after effects with premiere pro. And I know there IS an all-in-one subscription that puts everything together. But having only two programs that SHOULD be together makes more sense

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Trapcode

After Effects 2022 crashes when opening the Trapcode Particular v4.1.5 Designer window/program.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. font preview with selected text like in Illustrator! (instead of the word "sample")

I keep running into the issue where I'm looking for a font that has a specific shape of specific letters which I can't see when I only get a preview of the letters S A M P L and E. Please give us choices what to display, Illustrator does this perfectly. (side note: the Photoshop feature to filter serif, non-serif and monospace separately is also a godsend)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Import naming conventions

Hi there, small one, but I would like to have an option for retaining the exact naming of imported layers on illustrator files. Currently it appends every layer with the illustrator file name (which I understand), but sometimes that's very long (depending on what I have called it).
    It also is a hassle when you have created very specifically your names in illustrator to have them lengthened upon import.
    Even if in the preferences (under import) you could specify 'Exact layer names' as a check box. And possibly add an option to append each file with filename or date or…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. [BUG] DNx Codecs No Longer Supported?

ISSUE: As of v18.4, DNx Codecs no longer work properly in AE (as well as Media Encoder and possibly others). For example, a known good (works in other programs, as well as older versions of AE) DNxHR HQ video with Alpha will appear completely black.

REPRODUCTION: Import a DNx video file, for example DNxHR HQ with alpha channel into After Effects.

WORKAROUND: Rolling back to v18.2.1 works as a workaround, but is not viable long-term or with remote teams.

SYSTEM INFO: This issue has occurred on various Windows-based machines of various capabilities. Some of the editors on my team who…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. After Effects 2022 (i.e. versions above 18) does not open on Late 2012 iMac.

The title kind of says it all. If you try to open the latest AE iteration(s) on a late 2012 iMac this is what you get (see screenshot enclosed).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. After Effects Constantly Crashing

After Effects has been installed on my machine for a few months. I have not opened it until today. I am attempting to complete the built-in tutorials. I am able to make some progress but the application simply closes. At times it freezes and stops responding before close, other times there is no forewarning. In either scenario, there is no error message or prompt the save, nor a "not responding" indicator, it simply closes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please fix the Rotobrush 2.0 tool for Mac m1 silicon users.

Please fix the Rotobrush 2.0 tool for Mac m1 silicon users.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. AE 2022 doesn't recognize C4D install

I just installed the new version of AE, but it won't open my old files. It's telling me I need to have C4D installed, which I do. I have R25 installed and licensed, but it's not seeing it. The error code says that the AE installer can install C4D, but I have no idea how/where to do this. Any ideas....?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix Media Encoder 2022 frames timing inconsistency bug

When I use AME to render h264 video (Preset - Match source - High bitrate), some layers appear and disappear at wrong time on the result video, though it's composed correctly in After Effects - I've checked it frame by frame.

I have white background on video, objects appear few milliseconds later than they should, so video "blinks" on some transitions.

I attached video. List of issues:
    5 sec - white screen, layers appear too late (person and walls)
    6 sec - same scene, layer with a person disappear too early
    6 sec - next transition "blinks" with white screen…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Right click on color in fill and have the option to add it to library

Getting client's colors can be a bear even with the existing tools. it would be so nice if I could just right click on the fill and add the color to library.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Roto brush propagation is much slower in 18.4.1 version

Propagation slows down drastically as it goes, and after a couple seconds worth of footage rendering, it basically stops and becomes unusable. Using default settings when roto is applied.

After rolling back to Ae 18.1, propagation is literally thousands of times faster. On my system it will propagate a 30sec clip in a couple minutes. Still slows down over time, but something is happening in the new versions of Ae that it gets hung up on very quickly. System specs are attached below.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Change Default Render Option to "Queue in AME"

Allow users to choose "Queue in AME" as the default export option rather than "Render". This would standardize it with PPro which has "Queue" selected by default.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base