After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix XML import on Catalina

XML import is currently broken on AE, with the following error message:

After Effects: AEGP Plugin Pro Import:

"Fatal internal AAF/OMF/XML error.
    Please contact customer support." (0:1134) ( 5027 :: 12 )

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Grain in 32bit

Please move this to the top of priorities.
    Since we're now all moving towards ACES which requires working in 32bit, not having a grain effect that works in 32bit makes most of the compositing work almost impossible to do. It's hard to think of an effect that doesn't require grain matching with the background plate, and now every time we apply the add grain effect all, overbright values get clamped, so we CAN'T use the effect on any new production :/

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ONION SKIN!!!

There needs to be an onion skin option for frame by frame drawing, it's not difficult!

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Full program multi-threaded support

After Effects would benefit greatly from being able to actually utilize all cores when rendering, rather than having to rely on a third party solution, like the excellent program Render Garden by Mekajiki.

961 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

411 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everybody!

(This post was co-authored by Tim Kurkoski (After Effects Product Owner), Andrew Cheyne (After Effects Engineering Manager), and Victoria Nece (After Effects Product Manager).)

This thread has been sitting here for quite a while without a response. To start, we want to apologize for that. We haven’t been ignoring you or your feedback – this is just a particularly complex topic. That said, it’s time for us to check in with you, clarify a few things, and give you an idea of what we’re looking at for the future of After Effects, especially when it comes to performance.

To start, we fully understand that you want After Effects to be as fast as it can be – utilizing your computer’s hardware resources to render as fast as possible. Over the last several years, we have been working on the performance of After Effects constantly. Sometimes those performance gains…

5. Option to quantize keyframes when time stretching with Alt key

Time stretching with the Alt/Opt key is a great way to quickly adjust the length of an animation, but it almost always leads to subframe positioning of keyframes. There are plenty of scripts out there to fix the results of this problem (I use KEYboard), but it would be great if we could avoid this problem all together by holding the Shift key after we start Alt+Dragging. Shift would be in line with the existing behavior of snapping keys to other keys, layer in/out points, and marke

58 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. separate X and Y scale dimensions option

I separate the X and Y position on layers A LOT, and I often need to do it for the scale of a layer and it's a huge PITA that I can't just right click and separate the dimensions for scale like I can for position

please add this--thanks

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. BUG: AE cc2020 - Wrong levels with ProRes files if project is set to 32 bits/channel

ProRes and ProRes(HQ) files are too dark in AE if the project Color Depth is set to '32 bits per channel (float)'. ProRes 4444 and h264 files are read fine. All works fine with a color depth of either 8 or 16 bit. All color depths work fine in cc2019.

AE Version: 17.0.2
    OSX Version: 10.14.6

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. multicore

About multicore utilization ...

• At the present moment, there are thousands of users with new and powerful multi-core CPUs with plenty of power not utilized by Adobe's programs.
      An Adobe response to the demand that Adobe focus on this issue is that "it is difficult" ...

You are a big company, you can solve it - so solve it.

Using the excuse that it is difficult to solve is just silly and provocative - you have to prioritize this issue!

I'm sure you will get incredibly positive reactions from many users if you focus on speed and core utilization in…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Update ExtendScript to use ECMAScript 6 or better

ExtendScript syntax is getting old. Especially when you are making a CEP panel, it is frustrating that your client/html side is running in a nice updated javascript with class defs and all. But your extendscripts is still old fashioned.
    Please update ExtendScript to modern standards.
    And if you do, please make it available from AE 2018 and up. Otherwise we would need to make two different plugins and it wouldn't be much of a help anyways.
    Thanks,
    Jakob Wagner

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Parent-based filter operator for Timeline search bar

Additional operator for the Timeline search bar, allowing the user to filter for parent properties.

For example:
    Let's say I have multiple layers, each containing two groups (let’s call them “Top” and “Bottom”), and each containing a path. I want to change the Line Cap on “Top”’s path to rounded. If I search for "cap", then I’m shown the Line Cap options for the paths in both groups in each layer.

It would be great if there were a way to search for something like "top: cap", so that it only shows me properties containing "cap" that also have a…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix expression editing within graph view

In both AE 17.0.0 and 17.0.2, I did not test it in 17.0.1. Using Win10 with a Ryzen 3700x and a GTX 1060 6gb

When editing or writing expressions while in the graph view mode, it is hit or miss whether or not the new code will be commited.

It was suggested by another user to use the 'enter' key on the numpad to commit changes, but this didn't work every time either, so it doesn't solve the problem.

When editing expressions in the normal layer view everything works and saves/updates as it should. You just type out the code…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Scene Detect

Scene detect or cut/edit detection would be very helpful for those of us who get final cut videos from an editor who cannot provide project files with all the separate clips (or EDLs).

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Dynamic Link seems not to work with projects using cineware

When I work on a project using cineware amd I send it via "Add to Render queue" to AME it won't appear in AME. I then have to workaround with rendering an APR out of AE first.
    Dynamic Link on projects without cineware work perfectly.

I work on an iMacPro (2017) with macOS Catalina (10.15.4)
    and AE is Version 17.0.6, AME 14.1 (both on the newest update)

It used to work all well motnh ago. Does anyone have an idea or solution?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. soft light math changed?

Has the math behind soft light blending mode changed recently? For years, I have used soft light to add effects with a 50% gray solid but now the results are different... I've tested the project settings/color management and can't seem to get this right...

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Preview Bug

The new update is full of bugs. Every time I preview a comp AE gets stuck in playback and I can't stop it. AE has been the most reliable and least faulty app Adobe has made. Please don't break it too.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. make SET MATTE work as it should

SET MATTE should work like TRACK MATTES.
    when using a shapelayer as the matte then the effect works fine,
    but not with other footage.

AND NO.... i don't want to precompose every single s***.....
    Make a Checkbox in the effect: work like TRACKMATTE.....done

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. BUG: CC Repetile gives empty pixels gap when applied to an adjustment layer

When applied to an adjustment layer CC RepeTile generates 2 empty extra pixels between the tiles. This is a bug! The problem is present in both AE 2019 and 2020 versions. When applied directly to the footage it seems to work fine.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Proper colour palettes

Give us proper colour palettes like InDesign. If you've used a colour then it just shows up automatically in your palette window. Re-use it wherever and if you change it in there it updates colours project wide. Or group them and change multiple colours together. Would be so useful for iteration and amendments.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. New way to think about After Effects

I think of After Effects as a platform and not a product. It has a nice baseline of features and capabilities, but it's a shell for developers to build it into something for them. It has a plethora of plugins and extensions. And using the language of the web, Javascript, make scripting much more accessible than other packages.

Thinking of AE as a platform means the focus would be on creating a solid, stable, performant foundation. Maybe even creating more powerful development and scripting tools.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bug with .setPropertyParameters() for Dropdown Control

This method seems to generate a "Duplicate item names are not allowed" error when using an array where an index is a substring of another index. This example specifically triggers it: ["HeadTop", "Head", "HeadBottom"]; will not be accepted by the method (the "Head" index seems to throw it off) - But: ["HeadTop", "HeadMiddle", "HeadBottom"] will be accepted.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base