Skip to content

After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. Ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!

158 results found

1. BUG: Double clicking keyframe in timeline does not open keyframe properties

When double clicking a keyframe in the timeline the keyframe properties do not open, only the keyframe is selected. You need to manually right click and edit the keyframe to change values.

This issue only started when updating to AE Version 17.1.3 (Build 41) on Windows 10.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

16 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bug in 17.7: unable to open .hdr radiance files

Starting with version 17.7, AE (and Premiere) fails to open any .hdr file with error message: "After Effects error: Couldn't find main entry point for Radiance.8BI (48::72)" and "After Effects error: unbalanced unprep. (48:30)".

This bug is not present in 17.6, nor in the latest beta. When persisting with version 17.7, one workaround is to use Photoshop to convert the HDR file to an EXR, which does work properly.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3d workspace

The camera views option is only available when there is a camera present. However, sometimes I open a comp with no camera in the scene and the viewer is locked to 2 or 4 panels. Would like to stop this without having to add a camera, change the view, then delete the camera

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request. The issue you’ve described has been addressed in the latest releases of After Effects, with more refinements available in After Effects Beta.

Please update to the latest release of After Effects (the current release in version 18.4.1).

For a summary of the changes, please read this post:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/feedback-request-changes-to-3d-view-settings-for-new-comps/td-p/12216674

Summary of the changes relevant to your request:

• The 3D View Layout menu (i.e., 1, 2, or 4 views) is now accessible via the application View menu > Switch View Layout.
    • When you create a new comp, it will always be set to Draft 3D off, View Layout at 1 View, and 3D View at Active Camera (Default Camera).
  4. A bug in After Effects with importing ProRes 4444 files with alpha

After Effects is not correctly interpreting the alpha Chanel of ProRes 4444 files - if there is an alpha fade in the imported 4444 video, a black shadow can be seen under the fade - this is the same whether premultiplied is selected or not. I have loaded the same files into Motion and Millumin and they work correctly. See the attached still - the text should be fading from transparent to white but is showing as transparent black during the fade.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I want to get the values ​​of Duration, Stretch, outTime of a layer with an expression

Currently, there is no way to get the Layer's Duration, Stretch, and outTime values ​​in an expression.
    I want you to add this method to Expression.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. AE 17.5 Alt key functions broken - switches to camera regardless of active tool

Regardless of the tool used, holding the Alt key switches to the camera tool.

Hoping this is a mistake - it makes zooming out (z, Alt-Click) or adjusting vector bezier curves (G, Alt-click) frustrating without the shortcuts.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 8 bit warning pop up on all effects

If I click an effect in the effects control panel where the warning icon appears for '8-bit only' effects, I get the pop up attached, even on full 32bpc effects.

Seems to be a UI bug

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bug: Master Properties not displaying property name

After updating to 17.1.4 everything in Master Properties on the timeline is now displaying as the property type (i.e. "Slider" or "Checkbox") instead of the correct name.

macOS Catalina 10.15.6

update: renaming the property in Essential Graphics will rename the property on the timeline (at least temporarily). However, when duplicating the layer, the duplicate will revert to displaying the property type.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Major Bug in AE 17.7 Related to Illustrator and Color

Imports from Illustrator are showing colors that are way off. This appears both in the imported illustrator layer and when the Illustrator layer is converted to shape the color is wrong. I was not having this problem in 17.6 and when I downgraded and opened the exact same project the colors were magically fixed. This is a major issue that needs to be fixed immediately.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bug in Team Project using Essential Graphics with nested composition.

I'm using Team Projects for After Effects and have a face-composition with a nested mouth-composition two levels down in the face-composition.

From the mouth-comp I've added some Essential Properties to the face-comp. This works.

When re-opening the Team Project however, I get the following error:
    "After Effects warning: Could not create Essential Graphic parameter because it refers to a non-existent layer."
    The file opens but the master properties referring to the mouth-comp on the face-comp have all disappeared. Needless to say that is a serious problem because all keyframes added to these properties are lost.

Don't know if this is…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. The latest After Effects crash when installed the Joystick N Slider Ae Script

When I open my After Effects this morning, and every time when i opened it would crash and give me an error message wrote some issues with Joystick N Slider script. It would work when I delete the script from Ae. Please check this out because this script is quite important for animators and motion designers who use Ae for everyday working. Thanks

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The underlying issue of ScriptUI panels set to the “Use Legacy UI” caused a crash has been fixed in the March 2021 ( version 18.0 ) release of After Effects. Please let us know if you continue to see any crashes when opening script panels.

Thanks,
    - John, After Effects Engineering Team

12. Expand parameters based on used keyframes via Shortcut

Especially when dealing with multiple layers and parameters within each layer, it is frustrating to have to manually navigate to open and view each keyframe. Wouldn't it be nice to have a shortcut key command that automatically expands parameters within each layer that have used keyframes? That way I can quickly go to the parameters I need adjusting quickly. I understand there are shortcuts that lead to individual parameters (ie, "T" or opacity), but usually one would animate multiple parameters alongside each other. To have one shortcut that opens only the parameters that contain keyframes as a starting point for…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Exporting pro res 4444 + alpha bug

Issue when exporting pro res 4444 with alpha directly from AE. When this file is taken into premiere, there are weird purple artefacts, this can be removed by changing the premultiply settings, but this looses some alpha and introduces black fringing. When the same comp is exported via media encoder, using the same settings, no such issue exists.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. interpret Footage -> Premultiplied not working

My Prores 4444 Footage w Alpha that is premultiplied on Black, only acts normal when I am in Half resolution preview. As soon as I switch to Full Res or Render, the Alpha is treated as Straight/Unmatted.

Interestingly… if I select the interpret footage option "invert Alpha", the Alpha is only inverted when previewed at Full Resolution, not at reduced resolutions.

When I employ the workaround of adding the effect "Remove Color Matting" (Black) myself manualy, I also get very weird halos and artefacts when previawing at half resolution, which are not a side-effect of simply downscaling.

This occurs in…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Camera GUI display does not reflect expression-driven Point of Interest

When the "Point of interest" of a camera is driven by an expression.
    Something like:
    thisComp.layer("Null 1").transform.position
    The graphical display of the camera wireframe in the interface does not reflect the value of the expression.
    It seems to be "stuck" at the Point of interests native value.

After Effects 17.6.0
    MacOS 10.14.6

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. When using projectPath render token, existing files are overwritten without warning

When using the "projectPath" property (render token) to manually set the filepath in the File Name and Location Template, if a file with the same name already exists, it will be overwritten without any warning when the user clicks Render. This should be fixed to prompt the user with a warning before rendering begins.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. There is an issue with Key Cleaner.

After Effects crashes unexpectedly after applying key cleaner weather you use Keylight or color range without a message or warning.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 68 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. I can't double click and edit key frames anymore.

I can't double click and edit key frames anymore.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  4 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bring back the unified camera tool

Why did you get rid of it in the first place??? We were used to it. It worked!

You added all these nifty camera tools, like orbit around cursor or scene. Which would be fine. Except I want to change something and now it doesn't work the way I'm used to. Like using my center mouse button, which was super useful.

So I have to spend time looking at your documentation. Which is TERRRIBLE by the way. It's super confusing and I don't understand which is the most like the old behavior.

Stop breaking things we're used to even if…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

After Effects

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base