After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. bug report: add to media encoder queue is broken

On After Effects 2020 when I tried to send my compositions to Media Encoder Queue, Media Encoder started and opened but nothing was added to the queue list. I tested this several times with different projects and several compositions.
    I also tested sending Premiere Pro 2020 sequences to Media Encoder Queue and everything worked fine - so my conclusion is that something in Dynamic Link from After Effects is broken.
    I'm working on a MacBook pro 2018 on iOS Catalina.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. How do you think if you put bitmap drawing on After Effect?

I use After Effect 3 years, I work on animation and I realize that I and my colleagues all want to paint directly on my work, but I don't want to switch to other software because it's quite inconvenient! So what do you think about this issue? put bitmap drawing in AE, draw on comp, trans layer (not solid layer), ....

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Expression Console

Is there any way we can get a Chrome-like console for expressions? After a certain point, with a complex expression it becomes really hard to test for bugs as you have to basically run the same code on a text layer or some other property and rewrite the code just to get some sort of output for variables. Being able to have a console would be excellent (especially to inspect objects), but a great stopgap would be the ability to post a value to the info palette, like we can with scripting.

Expressions were already important, and with Master Properties…

96 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Open pre-comps as Folders / Groups in the timeline

Folders and groups are the same concept—as the already existing "Pre-comp". The thought behind the "Pre-comp" is to “group” a set of layers. Rather than reinventing the wheel and making After Effects more complicated with added new features like groups and folders, we can improve the functionality of the "Pre-comp".

Here is a demonstration of how that would work: https://vimeo.com/137312858

Suggested Shortcuts:

/ = Split Timeline to show pre-comp. Only works when comps are selected.

361 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Lock layers together in the timeline.

It'd be great if there was a way to lock layers together in the timeline. There is often, if one layer needs to be moved in time a bunch of others need to be moved. Being able to just click on one of the grouped layers in the time to move would be way faster.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Implement "System Layout" (as in Ai) in the Character's Panel

Using Adobe Fonts such as Source Han Sans seemed very tempting. But with Japanese, I've found that the self-contained space Japanese period and comma are supposed to have after them, disappears. Something similar happens with spaces which are way smaller than they should be.

Looking around I saw Adobe Illustration has an option named "System Layout" in the Character's Panel that by ticking it the issue gets automatically solved. It'd be great to implement this, and not only for Japanese but I'm sure it will be nice for Chinese and any other typeface with similar issues.

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Flip Comp size

It would be nice, to have a button in the Compsettings,
    that switches the Composition Size from Landscape to Portrait.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make a new start with innovative young people that have some visions for the future!

AE has missed every important innovation or trends in compositing of the last 10 years.

So, change the old team, make a new start and rework the hole core of the old lady! Its already five past twelve!

1) make it multicore (we will get 64 cores very soon!)
    2) design a competitive, GPU based 3D engine and workflow with the guys form C4D ... only for "simple" tasks (basic deform/modeling, projection mapping, 3D stereo, point cloud i/o(like VDBs), deep comp, raytrace lighting and shading...) but in real 3D and with all importand i/o options.
    3) Rework and open the…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. BACKGROUND AUTO-SAVE, Auto-save should not interrupt your workflow

The title says it all. Auto-save should function in the background and NOT pop up with an annoying progress bar every time it runs. Gets REALLY bad on large project files when auto-saves take up to a min every single time.

Total workflow killer. Should be just like taking snapshots of your project in the background while continue working.

The dialog even pops up and steals focus from another app you're in.

244 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Parenting Masks to Null objects to inherit position data.

The reshape tool would become way more helpful with digital beauty work if AE had a way to parent Masks to a Null object that received tracking data from Mocha.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add back rendering support for H264 codec directly out of AE

Around 2012 you removed the option for rendering a .mp4 file directly out of AE. Please add it back. The work around is to either render in a different codec and compress that in media encoder, or to launch the render directly from media encoder from AE (which is extremely slow and cumbersome, especially when you have large/complex project files). Not sure why removing functionality seemed like a good idea at the time...?

211 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix Adobe AE 2020 export in AME 2020

When exporting from After Effects 2020 or a Premiere Pro sequence that has a AE sequence inside, AME 2020 crashes when trying to export.

See https://adobeproblems.wordpress.com/2019/09/16/daily-adobe-quirks-media-encoder-failed/ . Having the same problem on macOS Majove on an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Preserve UI Layouts

One of the bigger frustrations I have with AE comes up when I open a project created by someone else, and the AE UI converts to THAT person's layout. I can think of 0 instances in which that would be of any use.

I know I can go to Window->Workspace and call my saved layout back up, but why should I have to? Please change this behavior.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow manual substitution of missing fonts at startup

A common problem I have is when a font is missing, and currently, on startup there is only the option to find it on Adobe or accept the default font. It would be so helpful if you could select a font in the list and manually choose one from your system fonts to use instead. Otherwise you are stuck with the default font through a potentially large project.

Another common example which happened this morning is that I have Futura Bold installed, but the project I've been sent says Futura Bold is missing (as the spelling is different) - if…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. After Effects 2020 Much Much SLOWER

Was working with 2020 for 5 min.
    Out of the box in comparison seam to be slower on a comp of a resolution of 5400x1080, as compares to AE 2019.

Certainly twice(!!!!) slower from AE 2019 in reading JPG SEQ res:5400x1080.

Did not checked it further.

Both Apps synced with their preferences.
    Both of them have the Cache option disabled.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Actually address and fix user issues instead of ignoring them and adding new features...

Users are constantly bringing up the problems they experience with After Effects, yet instead of focusing on fixing the problems with the software, you go and add new features that a small subset of the user base actually uses...Then you build forums like this where we can post our issues only to have them continue to be ignored.

There are a ton of problems with after effects, and we (the user community) were told that the "cloud subscription" model would allow you to focus on fixing things instead of new features of a yearly release. Well, here we are 7…

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. bug report - playback issue

Having an issue with the new 2020 update that was not happening with 2019. First off, a lot of things are quite laggy when clicked so take a long time to react. Sometimes it's a second or two, sometimes it's so long I start thinking AE is locked up. I can start playback on a section and then it won't stop (by hitting 0, clicking the playhead, hitting Space). Sometimes it takes a few seconds to respond and sometimes up to a minute. Several times now I actually had to force close AE just to make it stop playback.

I…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. (BUG) Preview in after effects 2020 creates a "new" window.

When i try to preview my scenes a "new" preview window appears and is "off center" and it plays in real time with out lagging. Sometimes that new "window" is not even visible (depens on how much you have zoomed into the scene) adn the original workspace area is just static. I hope my screenshots makes the matter more clear, since it is hard to explain in words. Also, sliding the current time indicatior manually works - Then the "real" preview window is showing what it should.

Both screenshots is taken during preview. When preview is stopped everything looks normal

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. “option” + drag to duplicate keyframes and layers

In a lot of Adobe programs, you can hold "option" (on mac) and drag a shape or layer to duplicate it. Except for AE, this is however a very fast and interactive way to duplicate something that could even be applied to effects, keyframes, etc.

Here is a demo video of how this would work: https://vimeo.com/137401276

301 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. From the Home window > right click a project name > show in finder.

While in the Home window, where it shows you all of your recent files that you have worked on.

right click the file name, show project file in finder.

that way it crashes, you can quickly navigate back to an autosave.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base