After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Layer effect source

When setting effect layer source, I would like to see this option:

Source
    Masks
    Effects & Masks
    Effects & Masks & Transform

I need this almost every time. Would save a ton of unnecessary precompositing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Mp4 files showing green glitches, both in preview and rendering

Whenever I import a mp4 file it appears green, even though the files are not corrupted or damaged. Sometimes in the preview I can see the file appear normal, without any issues and when I render it shows like a green screen. This doesn't happen when I import the same file into premiere so I assume the problem is with After Effects

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Toggle to switch between using property index or property name as default when pickwhipping

When pickwhipping an effect while holding Alt/Option, After Effects refers to the property by index, eg. ("Slider Control")(1), instead of by property name, eg. ("Slider Control")("Slider").

I often use this, as I deal with clients in multiple languages, and the property index reference is more robust in this case. I would appreciate a toggle in Preferences to switch this behaviour so that using property index is the default for pickwhipping (no modifier keys needed), and property name is used when holding Alt/Option.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Return from the Dark Side

I have a real problem:
    Dark user interface triggers my horrible migraine.

Latest Photoshops fortunately have restored
    the option to change UI light.

I suggest that the same would be done to After Effects.

I physically can't use it now but I know that also a lot of
    other artists find lighter UI more relaxing to the eyes.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. let me change the language easily

I want to change the language easily. Even I've done to change it, It go back to first option what I don't want after new updating. It makes me annoying

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "Dropdown Menu Control Effect" disappearing from the Essential Graphic Window

BUG:

When I edit a property of a "Dropdown Menu Control Effect" (Adding or removing a Name), it disappears from the Essential Graphic Window, I have to drop it back again and re-input the name it was given. (same issue for AE 2021 and AE Beta)

If we can fix this it would be great. With Love

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. [BUG]: adding a mask to an EXR layer with the Cryptomatte effect crashes ae

Import an EXR sequence with a crypto matte channel.
    Apply the crypto matte effect.
    Apply a mask to that layer.
    The app will soon crash. (no option to save work)

Current version as of 9/10, updated windows 10. EXR sequence from 3DS Max via Arnold.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. AFTER EFFECTS 2021 18.4.1 Bug > Not relinking / replacing missing files

After effects version 18.4.1 stopped replacing missing files as before:

1 - In previous versions when you replaced a missing file that is located in the same folder as other missing files in the project, AE would smartly re-link all files at once.

Now it is not doing this anymore.

2- In previous versions if on the Project panel search bar, you typed "missing"or even just "miss" it would show all missing media in your project, regardless of what type of media it is. Now you can only view missing media by specifically typing "missing footage"or "missing fonts" ", "missing…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow markers in AE-created .mogrt files to be seen in Premiere

.mogrts are a great way to create stylized transitions and such, but the inability to add markers that are viewable within Premiere creates inconvenience when actually putting these into use. Being able to send an AE timeline marker back into Premiere within the mogrt would be hugely helpful!

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bug in Team Project using Essential Graphics and Footage Replacement

Footage linked in essential graphics no longer available for swapping when reopening a teams project.

Steps to reproduce:

1: Create a teams project
    2: Create a comp 1
    3: import an image
    4: Add image to comp 1
    5: Add image to Essential graphics
    6: Add comp 1 to new comp 2

At this point the image from comp 1 can still be swapped in comp 2 timeline

7: close and reopen project

At this point the image is no longer visible in timeline for swapping in comp 2

This is in both the latest versions of AE Mac and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Import multiple folders

When I want to import several folders from a directory I have to either import them one at a time which wastes a lot of time, or import the entire parent directory which may contain dozens of unneeded folders and files. Can we simply be allowed to import multiple folders the same way we can with multiple files?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. rotobrush crashes on m1 macbook pro

Hi, I've read on other issues of when rotobrush crashes on first stroke. This is NOT my issue. I'm able to generate as many strokes as I want.. but only on the first frame. As soon as I move forward (or backward), AE crashes. Help!

I am using the latest AE on the M1 Macbook Pro — I've attached my specs.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Cant make the Layer switches pane smaller if i use the german version of after effects

If you use the german language there is a huge empty space, which can not be close, when the parenting switches are draged to the left.
    This causes that the useable timeline space is much smaller in the german version, than in the english version.

The example picture shows the settings for the minimal widht for the english and german version. It shows that the empty space in the german version (marked red) is completly useless and i think everybody would enjoy it, if there would be a way to get rid of it.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Take Snapshot to Clipboard

Add Take Snapshot to Clipboard so that the current appearance of the Composition can be pasted to Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Word, PowerPoint, Slack, TextEdit, or any other application that allows one to paste a graphic from the Clipboard.

This could be implemented with a modifier key like command + click Take Snapshot on Mac and control + click Take Snapshot on Windows.

While it's easy enough to use Command +3 or Command + 4 on Mac, having Take Snapshot to Clipboard would allow for getting just the visible area of the Composition more quickly, speeding up one's workflow.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. BUG: AE v.18.1- Shape and Mask vector line doesn't align to shape or mask

In v.18.1 After Effects, the editable vector line describing a shape or mask does not align to the shape or mask. It is offset by 1-2 pixels, which makes accurate work difficult.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bug - bad render image frames on preview

Tired of updating the software, waiting for the error to be fixed. When a video is played, lots of glitchs appear, unfortunate error that causes a lot of production problems.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. ALT+drag copy/duplicate

I would like to see ALT+Drag to copy/duplicate for layers in the timeline and assets in the project panel. Its a standard function for the rest of the adobe suite and for some reason its missing from AE. There's not even an alternate function, its just missing. I understand holding alt and dragging selected key frames in the timeline does temporal stretch. so I see why it might be harder to implement for key frames without upsetting current functions. But, this seems to be a missing feature that would be widely appreciated for those of us that use the wider…

66 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 3D workspace layout

Since the update 18.0, 2021, the old layout options for 3D has been removed. The old (17.5) used to look like the picture.

Now you have options for:

You used to have options for:
    2 views (horizontal/vertical)
    4 views (top/bottom/left/right)

4 views - TOP for example (as in the picture) would then allow for a big "main" window and three smaller windows.

Why is this necessary to still have?

When I (and I guess a lot of other people) work with 3D in AE, we merely use for example the TOP and…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Expression Control Menus Should not Reset

If you do not set a keyframe all of the dropdown menus reset to the default when duplicating a comp.

They should stay where you set them.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Import shared/linked compositions (not as a copy)

When I use a common composition in multiple projects, there doesn't seem to be a good workflow for making corrections/improvements to the original composition file/project and bringing the corrected/improved composition into the project I'm actively working on.

I propose a feature that gives us the ability to import an existing After Effects project into the current AE project in a linked way, such that modifications to the imported compositions will save back to those original files (keeping the original "library" project up to date) and that changes to the original files will be visible in the importing project.

See here…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base