After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Export transparent animated GIFs from After Effects/AME

Currently, if I want to export a “sticker” (Animated GIF with transparency) for social media, I animate the GIF in After Effects, export a MOV with alpha, via the AE renderer, bring that MOV into Photoshop and export a GIF with transparency via the (legacy) web export. This is a lengthy, complicated process that creates a heavy and useless, for the end product, MOV file.

In my opinion there are multiple things wrong with this workflow and could be improved by allowing direct export of transparent GIFs from AE.

1. The Adobe export/render preference for most formats is via AME
      Issue:…

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Snapshot Button - Less Grating Noise

This issue may seem trivial, but anybody else cringe every time they use the snapshot button? The noise literally hurts my ears. It's too loud and not pleasing at all. I believe this is the only item in the UI that makes a noise - is there any way to get a more pleasing chime, or maybe just a visual cue that a snapshot has been taken?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Can we have a tag next to effects to rate how much processing power the effect will use?

There isn't a clear or intuitive way to figure out how taxing specific effects may be (lens blurs are a big surprise for all my younger editors). As well as what components certain effects stress out the most. When working on larger projects the heavier effects might go unnoticed but as the composition gets more complex it quickly stacks and slows down significantly, and by then it's too late to rework your comp without such effects.

I have a couple suggestions to alleviate this problem:

1. In the effects and presets window, have icons and a rating system for each effects…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Magenta Color Shift when exporting ProRes4444 with AE2020 on Windows

In AE2020 Exporting a clip as ProRes4444 Millions of Colors on Windows results in an Output with a color shift towards Magenta. This can only be resolved by changing the codec to Trillions of colors.

Also when Using ProRes 4444 XQ with the same color settings the color shift gets an additions Gamma shift problem.

On AE 2019 this issue was not there. Also on Mac this issue can not be seen.

We tested it on multiple Windows machines and on all of them the problem appears with AE 2020 v.17.1.4

Please fix this problem

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Not having to close and open after effects to switch audio device/output

This is something that could improve workflow a lot. When I switch between i.e. internal speakers and headphones after effects should be modern enough to get it. It really is inefficient and quite annoying to have to quit and start up if I want to change the audio output to show something to my colleagues and then do it again before I can continue working on it.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Interface is extremely laggy and slow.. It's affecting my workflow and career. Please fix this issue already.

Dear AE team just please put all your attention and effort into fixing this dumb bug and making your clients happy. not asking you to invent fire, it's not rocket science, just make it work better like in previous versions.
    I see I'm not the only one suffering from this problem, it's among customers with high resolution screens. narrowed it down for you. Really frustrated with you.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. OpenEXR from Blender is not working in AE.

Blender multilayered EXR is not importing into AE.
    Getting wired error message: "GingerProxy Error: Error loading file:[...]"

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. BUG(or feature) Scripting with wiggle.

First example:
    I have the wiggle expresion on the sliders.
    Adding the value on the scale property gives 2 different wiggle values.

Is this an expected outcome, the wiggle is called for each property even if I have only one slider scripted (therefore what is the purpose of the slider if this is the case)?
    My opinion is that intuitively it should add one value to both x an y.

Second example(without photo):
    Threshold effect has the slider from 0 to 255 (as integer value or at the first look you may think so). The same as before intuitively you…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Stop working on features and make it stable becouse its a piece of junk.

Dont just tell people to go do a workaround for issues.
    Fix the issues.

I reguralry spend a third of the time each day on the program's inability to perform.

Granted Our teachers are idiots making us do vfx compositing in a program thats made for

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow overscroll in the timeline panel

Currently the timeline panel stops vertically scrolling when the lowest layer reaches the bottom of the panel.

I'd like to suggest adding an option / preference to allow 'overscroll' in the timeline panel so that the lowest layer can be viewed above the bottom of the panel.

The primary reason for the request is that it gets a bit fiddly working on the lowest layers, and having the extra working space would make it more comfortable to interact with them.

In practice this could be very similar to the 'overscroll' option in Photoshop preferences (Preferences > Tools > Overscroll).

A…

83 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. I can't double click and edit key frames anymore.

I can't double click and edit key frames anymore.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Always render Null Objects with 0% Transparency

I often use Null Objects within my compositions- and its very easy to forget to switch them off before you render- leaving white squares where they have been used in you render.

So why not as an overall rule just always render them with 0% transparency? There doesnt seem to be any reason for Null objects to be rendered so it makes sense.

(You can obviously set them to 0% in the composition- but it often actually helps for them to be visible whilst constructing your comps)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Dynamic linking to another .aep project file

I'm part of a team that work on multiple infographic shots simultaneously and we would really like to be able to link to external after effects compositions that could contain components that are being reused on all shots.
    In that way someone could setup and animate dummy components within one .aep file and then the rest of the team can link to those components compositions (as if it where footage) and start on each separate shot.
    All the while the dummy components can be tweaked and finished and that would ripple out to all the other team members shots.

This…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. BATCH EXPORT for Essential Graphics/MoGrts with a checkbox-list or something similar

I am working on converting thousands of MoGrts/Essential Graphics -Templates for a big TV-Station to CC20 and it is a pain in the but to export every Essential Graphic-Template with 3-4 clicks and a lot of waiting time for saving the project for every single template. It should be easy to add a checkbox-list were you can choose if you like to export all or some of the templates and than start a kind of batch export that export all checked items... At the moment the export is really trash... you even need to save the project every single time!!!!…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Preview Playback still is broken

I have the latest version of AE 2020 (17.0.6) and I still have problems with playback which none were present in 2019. I push spacebar (or from the preview menu itself) to preview, it starts but then it wont´t stop, I have to force quit the program, this only happens with the Windows version, in MacOS it works fine, I just had to move my entire project to MacOS because otherwise I could not work. PLEASE fix this, after many updates of 2020 this bug/issue persists!
    That's what happens when it plays the preview, sometimes it just won´t play no…

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Composition = Folder

It would be great if I could expand a composition on the timeline like you can do it with folder in photoshop.

This way I could view all layers and keyframes directly from a parent comp without having to switch between comps.

Adobe, please add that feature! It would be a huuuuge time saver and workflow optimization.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Pick Whip all parameters of an Effect in one go

There are a lot of occasions where the same effect is applied to several layers.
    Wouldn't it be great if all parameters of these effect instances could be linked together in one Pick Whip?
    Please add a Pick Whip symbol to the Root / name of the effect that, when used, connects all the effects' settings.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. After Effects is still using very old UI font for Chinese

The Chinese font for After Effects is still using SimSun which was used by Windows XP and earlier system

Such old fonts are out of place in a modern user interface

Microsoft has been using a new smooth font called "Microsoft YaHei UI" for Simplified Chinese since Windows Vista

Audition has changed the font to Microsoft YaHei since CC 2019

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Crashes when EXRs don't match comp size and have any transform settings

Basically, EXRs must be precomped to apply any sort of transform to then. Otherwise I get a repeatable crash.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base