After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Collect files for Queued Comps" no longer properly collects all files.

This issue appears to have started up with AE 2020 (17.*), and is still present in AE 17.0.4 as of this posting date.

I work with a lot of large AE projects that I often need to collect from a server to as local file in order to more efficiently render them. Generally, I've done this over the years by setting up a render queue and going to File-->Dependency-->Collect Files... and selecting "Collect Source Files: For Queued Comps."

With the latest versions of AE, using "For Queued Comps" now results in only a small handful of the necessary files being…

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Individual Comp Settings Render Path

This is something that has bugged me for years.  I open a project, render.  Hop into a different project. Add to Render Queue.  Now all of my settings are pointing to the other projects render paths... 

I work for an advertising agency and I am constantly rendering work for multiple clients. When going back and forth the only way to retain output paths is to duplicate the item in the render queue.  Why?  Each composition should have the option within the -- Composition Settings -- to set a render path.  When you duplicate the comp, the render path stays.  This…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Plug-In Compatibility After Updates

Every time Adobe updates its software, I have to completely uninstall and reinstall all of my plug-ins (18 Plug-Ins). This is an absolute nightmare and a gross waste of time. This time around, there was no folder created labelled "Adobe After Effects CC 2020" when the update was completed. The Plug-In Licenses need to be in a certain folder that doesn't even seem to exist after the update. It retained the "Adobe After Effects CC 2019." Why? Why, is this so difficult to fix?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Grain in 32bit

Please move this to the top of priorities.
    Since we're now all moving towards ACES which requires working in 32bit, not having a grain effect that works in 32bit makes most of the compositing work almost impossible to do. It's hard to think of an effect that doesn't require grain matching with the background plate, and now every time we apply the add grain effect all, overbright values get clamped, so we CAN'T use the effect on any new production :/

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bug: Errors when importing Animate .fla into AE project

As of the recent 17.0.2 update, I'm finding that I can't import Animate .fla files into AE.

The import dialog hangs for a while (whited-out in a non responsive state), then returns an error simply stating: "An error occured while importing this file. Please try again.". This error often appears behind the import dialog, and is easily missed.

This seems to happen with all .fla files, so I don't think it's a specifically broken file. On the previous AE / An version I had gotten around 50% of the way through a large project with fla importing working fine, and…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bug: After Effects 2020 crashes on zoom

After Effects 2020 keeps crashing when I use my Apple Wireless Magic Mouse 2 to zoom in. As soon as I slide my finger, the application crashes. It seems like it's isolated to one specific pre-comp.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ONION SKIN!!!

There needs to be an onion skin option for frame by frame drawing, it's not difficult!

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Masks should have a keyframeable transforms

Currently you have to animate the mask "Path" in order to achieve any translation. However when doing roto/tracking it would be extremely handy to be able to separately keyframe translation from the mask path. For example when applying tracking data to a mask you could track just the position and keyframe the mask path separately. Similarly when using the "mask tracker" the results are virtually unusable for any detailed roto work because you end up with a keyframe on every frame, therefore any manual edits cause popping in the animation. With the addition of position, rotation and scale it would…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fix expression editing within graph view

In both AE 17.0.0 and 17.0.2, I did not test it in 17.0.1. Using Win10 with a Ryzen 3700x and a GTX 1060 6gb

When editing or writing expressions while in the graph view mode, it is hit or miss whether or not the new code will be commited.

It was suggested by another user to use the 'enter' key on the numpad to commit changes, but this didn't work every time either, so it doesn't solve the problem.

When editing expressions in the normal layer view everything works and saves/updates as it should. You just type out the code…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make an archive of the AE SDK forum available.

The old AE SDK forum contained hundreds of threads with valuable information that is not available in the AE SDK guide. Very many of those threads are no longer available at all, and the new interface is no longer navigable because it is not possible to limit searches to posts tagged with 'SDK' or in any other meaningful way. Moreover, questions about the SDK are simply not being answered any more, and there is no other support resource. I don't think I would have been able to get anywhere near where I am now without the help of the forum,…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bug: After Effects 2020 crashes on preview

After a short work, when I do a preview, the ae2020 stops working and crashes. it happens all the time

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Fix this After Effects 2020 error: 'Can't import as a sequence. Found no matches for the selected file name.'

I get this error: 'Can't import as a sequence. Found no matches for the selected file name.' when importing an image sequence in to After Effects 2020 (Version 17.0.4 (Build59)). It works just fine when importing the very same image sequence in the previous version of After Effects (Version 16.1.3 (Build 5)) ... This means I can't use the latest version of After Effects (2020), since I work with image sequences all the time. Am I the only one who has encountered this problem? Is there a solution or workaround? Is there an update coming that will fix this problem?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Multiple projects open simultaneously

Premiere Pro use to not be able to open multiple projects simultaneously, but now that it does it has helped make my personal workflow so much better because I can easily copy elements from one project to another without the need to go to import an entirely separate project.

I think it would be just as helpful to be able to open multiple projects in After Effects the same way.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Automatic legalize filenames on Output

I use Expressions a lot, to automatically generate Titles from the Comp name.
    But when diacritics (ë, ü, ï, é etc.) are used, AE won't output. In stead we get a Sheep sound.
    Wouldn't it be great, if AE, in stead of playing the sound, makes the filename legal (on Output only, without feeding it back to the Expressions ;-).

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Missing fonts not reported in CC2020

The program doesn't alert the user when a font is missing - just replaces the font with Myriad Pro. Then, when one clicks on the font, it doesn't update with the parentheses, so you can't see what font you need to add.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Layer selection bug After Effects 2020 (v17.0) with dual monitors?

My setup uses two monitors with the left monitor devoted to the timeline alone and my main monitor for the Project, Composition, etc. windows.

In all previous versions of AE I could adjust something in the timeline on my left monitor, go to the comp window on the main monitor, then click, hold, and drag a layer to move it around.

If I do the same thing in AE 2020 the selected layer will NOT drag on the first click. I have to click it once to "activate" that window (a blue outline appears) and then click and drag the…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bug: AE2020 seq import from server error

After Effects 2020 is giving error when importing png seq from server.

(After Effects error: Can't import as a sequence. Found no matches for the selected file name. (39 :: 44)

When import same seq from local drive its ok and AE2019 opens it from server with no problem

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. [BUG] on 17.0.1 rotobrush breaks the project after reloading

If Rotobrush is applied in anyway, after saving, closing and restarting the project won't start.
    Returns an error: missing data in file

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. BUG:Inaccurate results when setting displayStartTime via script

After Effects does some bad math when I try to set the displayStartTime of a comp via script.
    When I attempt to set the displayStartTime of a 30fps comp to frame 1000 (33.333333333333 seconds).
    The result startTime is instead 33.3333320617676, which rounds down to frame 999.
    However, setting the startFrame to 1000 manually in the comp settings does make the startTime 33.3333333333333, which should be the expected result via script.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base