After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can't drag in 3d space

After upgrading to AE 2020 I can't drag 3D objects on the z axis when viewing though the Active Camera. Please fix this ASAP.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. After Effects 2020 on Mac does not work at all with Arri Alexa Footage

After Effects 2020 on Mac does not work with Arri Alexa footage that when imported into Premiere has the AMIRA LUT automatically added. You can see my first exampled here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27MpmJfKHqg and my second example from Arri's example footage here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9aRnCeu7PE The footage drops out, goes blue, and goes upside down becoming completely useless.

The only way to get the footage to work is to recompress it all and the reconnect, but we are talking a huge amount of ProRES 4444 footage that I really don't want to recompress, especially when it works fine in After Effects 2019.

I had…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Major Bug - Linear Color Key Effect Breaks Adobe Media Encoder

Latest version of AE, Media Encoder, Mac Catalina, on an iMac Pro base model.

If an AE project has a layer with the Linear Color Key effect applied, the project will fail to load in Adobe Media Encoder. If the effect is removed from the layer, then it loads in Media Encoder as expected.

The same issue occurs if a layer has Video Copilot Optical Flares plugin applied.

There may be other effects causing this issue, but these are the only two I have definitively identified.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Addition or substraction in time indicator

It would be nice to be able to add or susbtract values in the time indicator field to move in the timeline by maths.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make expression controls inside composition accessible to the layer instance outside

I have a composition of a keyboard with each key to light up on a note. I make the keyboard and several checkbox controls for the highlight. Now I put the keyboard composition as a layer in a composition that has all the note info.

Why can't I make the checkboxes inside the composition available to the layer so that I can have multiple note arrangements using the same keyboard composition? I can't make this link without hard-coding the composition name into the keyboard composition. So I have to make a duplicate keyboard for each composition I want to use…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Property to Essential Graphics

You can right-click to add a property to the Essential Graphics panel. Great! But it always pulls up the last comp that was open for some reason—and you might not even remember which comp it was if you haven't opened the panel for quite a while. I can't see a use case where I'd ever want to add a property from one comp to another comp's Master Properties—especially as it throws an error.

Rather than going through all of that error checking and forcing me to first right-click to open the comp in the EG panel, when I use Add…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Eye safety while loading AE UI!!!

Dear Adobe. Please care about our eyes!
    While starting AE, before the UI is fully loaded, the window represents a full-screen area of pure white light for a few seconds. With bigger monitors in a dimmed environment this really hurts users' eyes. Please choose dark color for this. Thank you

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Roto brush is causing a 33:4 data not found error.

I have discovered that in the latest version of After Effects 2020, I get a "data not found error (33:4)" message when trying to open a file where the roto brush was used. I've tested this extensively, and it's definitely the roto brush that is causing the issue. Any file which uses the roto brush effect will not open after being saved. I suspect AE is having trouble finding the roto brush data, but there is no way to fix the problem as the files won't open at all. This has caused a fair amount of lost work.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Select Layers, In/Out points, and keyframes at the same time

The ability to select multiple different "types" of objects in the layer panel is a must-have for efficient workflow. Being able to select an in-point, a keyframe, and an entire layer (or any combo of those) should be possible and would improve working speed a huge amount, especially when retiming an existing animation.

For example, often a group of keyframes, another layer's in-point, and an entire precomp will need to be set up in perfect sequence, which needs to be be retimed due to feedback. As it stands now, I would need to move keyframes, in-point, and precomp layer all…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Can we have a tag next to effects to rate how much processing power the effect will use?

There isn't a clear or intuitive way to figure out how taxing specific effects may be (lens blurs are a big surprise for all my younger editors). As well as what components certain effects stress out the most. When working on larger projects the heavier effects might go unnoticed but as the composition gets more complex it quickly stacks and slows down significantly, and by then it's too late to rework your comp without such effects.

I have a couple suggestions to alleviate this problem:

1. In the effects and presets window, have icons and a rating system for each effects…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Workflow between illustrator and after effects (ai layer to shape layer in AE)

Hi, feature request please. It would be great to improve the link between illustrator and after effects.
    - It's actually impossible to get the path with stroke correctly from an illustator's shape layer : the brush is vectorized and we can't trim path it correctly in after effect.
    - we still can't transform an ai text to a text layer in ae...
    - the gradiant aren't available while creating shape layer from ai file
    - it would be great to have the possibility to create bin in illustrator ( as already existing in photoshop) for conversion in AE (i mean…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. MULTITHREADING for AFX

MULTITHREADING for AFX ... it´s since ages now and nothing happens... all cores are gathering together 10% of it. In the preferences you even cant now shoose how much cores you like to use... I am opening 3 instances of AE to dispatch more frames thesame time... what a solution in 2020! Adobe ... come on!! thnx!

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Tapered Stroke Improvements (for Beta Version)

Thanks for finally developing a native tapered stroke feature on After Effects. I'm playing with it and find it very easy to use!

But I think this feature could be improved for many users if you consider that the taper could mimic better the width tool on Adobe Illustrator.

Now the taper produce a pointy or semi-rounded stroke cap, but it isn't possible to preserve a perfect round or butt cap.

Thank you again!

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Upgraded to AE 2020 - Display Acceleration Disabled

Just updated to AE 2020, and I can't Preview video on timeline anymore. When I scrub playhead I can see the animation, but when I hit Play, I'm getting just static frame (timeline even fully cached). There is also "Display Acceleration Disabled" alert in the corner of the Comp. Could you fix this issue asap?

Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
    Memory: 16 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 4000…

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. add 'Compositing Options' to main Effect Controls palette

The Compositing Options for every effect is a really great addition, but why is it still buried in the timeline? It should be in the effects controls palette, at the very least hidden under a dropdown box or button to reveal. Or have a whoIe new palette to access this. I understand this will make the effects controls palette a little more cluttered, but I think its worth it for this functionality. thanks

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. too much rotation

I have not set any settings
    I'm just using the Korean version
    And where are we sending the bug reports?
    Help me, Adobe. ;>

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Round point for angles paths like in Illustrator

We often face the need to round the corners of paths for animation or shape, but AE don't have the appropriate function. But this function that has been implemented in Illustrator for a long time. That function is round point.

How we make it today: Copied paths from AE to Illustrator and used the round point for angles, then copied the path back to after effects, if we don't like it, we do it again.
    But why such a long road to this, if it is easy to implement at the software development level.

Let's draw the developers attention to…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. BUG REPORT: Ae 17.1.2 ans 17.1.3

Since v17.1.2 and 17.1.3, when I save a Mogrt to my cloud library on any of my machines the mogrt does not appear. Also, a 'Support Files' folder is not created.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base