Skip to content

After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. Ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!

158 results found

1. "V" shortcut does not work in AE 18.1

After update to 18.1 the "V" key is not working to choose the selection tool.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Resolved  ·  12 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. MAJOR BUG - Output Module Quicktime format options panel has blank settings

In the export options, the quicktime options has blank settings with values input, but no way to know what those settings are. Critical bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Mercury Transit Preview still crashes in latest AE V 22.0.1

After Effects V 22.0.1 still crashes while using a 3rd preview monitor via Mercury Transit.

My setups: Mac Pro trashcan (Late 2013) 12 core with 64GB and AMD FirePro D300, now running MacOS Monterey. I have 3 monitors- 2 4K Dell P2715Qs over mini Displayport and a JVC DT-v24L1 broadcast preview monitor over HDMI

Also occurs on new 2021 Macbook Pro 16 running Monterey

Repeatable crash: Preferences-> Video Preview -> Enable Mercury Transit ->Video Device: Adobe Monitor 2: 1920x1080

In a project that has different sized comps, say 1920x1080 and 1080x1080, AE will crash when switching between comps of different…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bug report: Effects panel doesn't show up automatically when adding an effect

Bug report: (started with After Effects 22.0 and still going on in version 22.0.1 and 22.1.1, on Macbooks (late 2018 i9 & late 2021 M1 proMAX)
    — The Effects panel you normally find on the left and who might automatically open when applying an effect on a layer DOES NOT show up. You have to manually activate it via Windows in the menu bar.
    Then, when the Effects panel is at last on your workspace, it doesn't switch automatically if the Project panel was already activated. Again, you have to manually click on Effect panel to show the effect you…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Rotobrush 2.0

The new Rotobrush 2.0 does improve the spline you draw or brush to outline what you need to separate from the background. However, in the latest updates, the propagation and freeze steps hang up on long frame scenes. After much searching on the forums other users have found we need to uninstall the updates for After Effects and go back to 18.1. I just did that and now Rotobrush 2.0 is performing naturally!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Everything disappears from view at certain comp sizes

I'm experiencing a strange bug. At certain comp sizes, everything disappears from view. I have a project that needs to be 768x192, but nothing shows up at this size (though at 769x192, it's magically fine). Does anyone else have the same issue? Is there any way to fix this?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Update for preview bug when at aspect ratio 6x pixels in height

I am not the only one who is experiencing this. In version 18.4.1 of AE when you make a comp height size 64 pixels the comp goes black. No matter what you try it goes black. I installed an older version 17.5.0 and it works fine as it should. This has wasted so much of my time on a paid job for which I had to create a comp at 960x64 and it would not let me. What is worse is your so-called Technical experts told me that some ratios were not possible which was a lie as he didn;t…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Sub-composition doesn't render on screen

This is a bug:
    Create a new project.
    Create a new comp 1920x1080 (main).
    Create another comp 128x128 (small), draw a red rectangle on it. You'll see the path, but not the red rectangle!
    Place "small" onto "main". In "main" you can see the red rectangle. But if you open "small", you still see nothing.
    If you change the width of "small" comp to 593 or more, you see the red rectangle on screen. If the width is 592 or less, you see nothing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Rotation tool seems broken

With the latest version (17.1.3) the rotation tool freaks out when using it for the layer transform rotation. Somehow it does work fine for parametic shapes. Just by dragging a little bit, it rotates like 2000 times.

49 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. How do I disable cache frames when idle?

I wish I could disable it when I want

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. BUG Report: Track mattes broken in AE 2021

I just updated to AE 2021 (18.0) and track mattes are suddenly not working in the timeline. It's an incredibly basic thing, I have footage on layer 2 and I want to use layer 1 (directly above it) as the matte. Pretty straightforward. But when I set layer 2 to Alpha Matte, nothing happens. It does turn Layer 1 off, as it's supposed to, but Layer 2 is still visible even outside the bounds of Layer 1. I can move Layer 2 around the frame and it's not being masked at all by layer 1, it just shows the entire…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  13 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. BUG: AE v.18.1- Shape and Mask vector line doesn't align to shape or mask

In v.18.1 After Effects, the editable vector line describing a shape or mask does not align to the shape or mask. It is offset by 1-2 pixels, which makes accurate work difficult.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. BUG - pen tool crash

Weird bug where when using the pen tool, if the footage panel is open, passing over it freezes then crashes AE. Submitted the crash report and posting here in hopes it can be duplicated and fixed.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. rotobrush crashes on m1 macbook pro

Hi, I've read on other issues of when rotobrush crashes on first stroke. This is NOT my issue. I'm able to generate as many strokes as I want.. but only on the first frame. As soon as I move forward (or backward), AE crashes. Help!

I am using the latest AE on the M1 Macbook Pro — I've attached my specs.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  11 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Shift Forward Slash

I SWEAR that if I was working in the Effects panel .. the Effects panel active ... I could press Shift Forward Slash to fit my comp viewer to All. Now I can't do that. In order to get Shift Forward Slash to work I have to activate the timeline panel or the comp viewer.

I know this has to have worked in the past - I apparently have the muscle memory of using it when the Effects panel is active because I keep trying to invoke it and my "why isn't this working" frustration is fairly recent.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Marc,

Thanks for filing this bug. This is a known issue in After Effects 18.4. If the Composition or Timeline panel are not focused, keyboard shortcuts for zooming the active viewer panel do not work.

This has been in fixed in After Effects Beta (v22.1). Please install the latest build to confirm the fix. Apologies for the disruption.

17. Add a 'Go To File' button after each export in the Render Queue

We need a pretty simple, and seemingly very obvious addition to the render queue:

After each completed export in the render queue, please add a button that can take you immediately to the rendered file's location. I find it odd how this hasn't been included, and you can't even go straight to that file's location by right-clicking on the item in the queue.

Also, would it be possible to add the ability to copy the folder location of one item in the queue, to the rest of the waiting, ready-to-go exports? Without having to manually click on each item and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The link to the output file is there, but a bit hidden — twirl down the Output Module section and you’ll see a blue file path. Click this link to open the file location.

File > Scripts > Change Render Locations will let you change all the queued items in one go, or you can shift/cmd-click individual Output Modules to select multiple exports to change at once.

18. Expression Control Menus Should not Reset

If you do not set a keyframe all of the dropdown menus reset to the default when duplicating a comp.

They should stay where you set them.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. you can't shortcut alt and regular numerals

Can we fix this I use to have really nice shortcuts with just alt and numbers, now that functionality has gotten taken away.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Option to unlink time between multiple comp viewers

When working with multiple viewers, one of which is locked in order to view that precomp, it would be great to have an option to not have the time linked between the locked viewer and the main comp viewer. I have a precomp that is 2 seconds long. It starts about 3 seconds into my main comp. When scrubbing to 0:03 in the main comp, the precomp viewer window goes blank, because the precomp doesn't have enough footage to show, because it's only 0:02 long.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

After Effects

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base