After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Roto brush is causing a 33:4 data not found error.

I have discovered that in the latest version of After Effects 2020, I get a "data not found error (33:4)" message when trying to open a file where the roto brush was used. I've tested this extensively, and it's definitely the roto brush that is causing the issue. Any file which uses the roto brush effect will not open after being saved. I suspect AE is having trouble finding the roto brush data, but there is no way to fix the problem as the files won't open at all. This has caused a fair amount of lost work.

13 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

14 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Upgraded to AE 2020 - Display Acceleration Disabled

Just updated to AE 2020, and I can't Preview video on timeline anymore. When I scrub playhead I can see the animation, but when I hit Play, I'm getting just static frame (timeline even fully cached). There is also "Display Acceleration Disabled" alert in the corner of the Comp. Could you fix this issue asap?

Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
    Memory: 16 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 4000…

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Property to Essential Graphics

You can right-click to add a property to the Essential Graphics panel. Great! But it always pulls up the last comp that was open for some reason—and you might not even remember which comp it was if you haven't opened the panel for quite a while. I can't see a use case where I'd ever want to add a property from one comp to another comp's Master Properties—especially as it throws an error.

Rather than going through all of that error checking and forcing me to first right-click to open the comp in the EG panel, when I use Add…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Addition or substraction in time indicator

It would be nice to be able to add or susbtract values in the time indicator field to move in the timeline by maths.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Tapered Stroke Improvements (for Beta Version)

Thanks for finally developing a native tapered stroke feature on After Effects. I'm playing with it and find it very easy to use!

But I think this feature could be improved for many users if you consider that the taper could mimic better the width tool on Adobe Illustrator.

Now the taper produce a pointy or semi-rounded stroke cap, but it isn't possible to preserve a perfect round or butt cap.

Thank you again!

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bug Report: AE CC 2020 Premultiplied Alphachannel from ProRes 4444 will result in black outlines

When using ProRes 444+ with premultiplied Alpha in AE2020 (17.x) on MacOS 10.14. and 10.15. the key will have black outlines. Bug wont occur in AE2019 (16.x) or with AE2020 on MacOS 10.13. Please fix this issue.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Composition = Folder

It would be great if I could expand a composition on the timeline like you can do it with folder in photoshop.

This way I could view all layers and keyframes directly from a parent comp without having to switch between comps.

Adobe, please add that feature! It would be a huuuuge time saver and workflow optimization.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dynamic Link After Effects projects within After Effects projects

When transitions between scenes are more complex using Premiere to dynamic link AE comps isn't an option. Being able to dynamic link .aep files within .aep files would allow multiple users to work simultaneously on different precomps while not disturbing or overwriting the master comp.

When we're up against deadlines we need 2-3 animators working at the same time. It would save a lot of time not to collect a comp work on it, bring it back in and replace the old one or simply waiting for one animator to finish their task before another can open the file and…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. ALT+drag copy/duplicate

I would like to see ALT+Drag to copy/duplicate for layers in the timeline and assets in the project panel. Its a standard function for the rest of the adobe suite and for some reason its missing from AE. There's not even an alternate function, its just missing. I understand holding alt and dragging selected key frames in the timeline does temporal stretch. so I see why it might be harder to implement for key frames without upsetting current functions. But, this seems to be a missing feature that would be widely appreciated for those of us that use the wider…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Dual-monitor setup now needs extra click when switching windows in 2020

I am on AE 2020 on Mac OSX 10.13.6.
    I have a dual screen setup where my composition is on one monitor and my timeline is on another monitor. If I select a tool (like the mask tool) on the timeline monitor, I have to first click to 'activate' the composition window on the second monitor, and THEN start drawing a mask. I shouldn't need an extra click unless my switching between different software.

I want there to not be a extra click to activate different parts of the same program. It messes up my work, when I don't realize…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Performance performance performance

There is no greater feature you can give us than performance. AE does not take great advantage of multi-core processors. Rendering is quite slow. Playback is slow compared to Fusion and other packages. While there are definitely improvements, it seems the focus at Max is always on new features.

AE has plenty for features through plugins and scripts. What I want from AE is a speed and stability.

A faster, more stable product will improve more workflow better than 1000 new features.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bug in comp.exportAsMotionGraphicsTemplate() when exporting Motion Graphics Templates from ExtendScript in AE 2020

I need to make an automated workflow for versioning motion graphics templates and exporting .mogrt files. I've implemented a .jsx script to do so.

However, when exporting via script using exportAsMotionGraphicsTemplate, the exported .mogrt files loose some properties in their embedded deifnition.json files - they miss eg. default values, default text strings and their menu options arrays are empty.

This means they are not working in Premiere, where the result is empty dropdown menus and text inputs that reset to empty and will only send empty strings to the template regardless of user input.

Attached is a zip file with…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Colorama color panel update please !?!?!?

Colorama is so powerful; but the color picker suck.
    Just use the same picker as the rest of the Program, PLEASE.

Why this color picker from the 80's, for a such a great effect?

Also, we should be able to see live update in the composition panel

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Game Golf GPS Rangefinder

Hello everyone,

on my Ionic I downloaded the game golf GPS Rangefinder App. This was also not a witch's work the transmission ran one-way. I have made the necessary settings (all). Now I have searched and found my golf course. Then comes a button to load Tracker. One Info says that it could take about 5 minutes. Even after a very long wait, the golf course is not transferred. The question I'm asking myself now is, why not?

My smartphone (Lumia 950XL with Windows 10 Mobile) is connected to the Ionic via Bluetooth. In addition, the Ionic is also connected…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Newer versions of After Effects 2020 read Prores files wrong

The way After Effects 2020 reads prores colors is very different between its first few versions, next to the several new ones.

This is very obvious on Prores+Alpha footage and must be fixed. You can easily see the problems when comparing the same footage between After Effects and Premiere. Where Premiere reads the files correctly and AE does not!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. We need "setStyleAt()"

Please, please, please... ;)
    Thanks!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. BUG Can't delete items in render queue - I mean come on, test first, release later, please

Can't delete items in render queue.

Can't do anything while rendering previews of linked files in Premiere or AME

After effects crashes if premiere rendering previews.

It is a s*** show isn't it? And you released it on us.
    Thanks

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add Master Properties connections as a viewing option to the Composition Flowchart

Composition Flowchart isn't used much by most but I think a KILLER addition to it would be the ability to see Master Properties connections in a nodal view.

I'd be thrilled to see all the places my MP's are piped into and what the flow is. It would really help when opening up someone else's file to get a quick understanding to how Master Properties are being used!

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Mercury Transmit issue in 16.1

Just upgraded to 16.1 and I can no longer access my external monitor. Mercury transit automatically switches to "monitor 2" when I need it to stay on "monitor 1" even after I reset my preferences.

59 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bulk Interpret footage

If you select multiple files (in my case, all of them came from the same camera, settings, fps, codec, etc.) you can not Interpret Footage to all of them at the same time. I have a lot of 100fps footage, and want to select all of them, click on Interpret Footage, change to 25fps once and get all the files in 25fps.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base