After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. About removing the Pro Import plug-in on MacOS

Sorry about the ranting, but this made me very disappointed to Adobe again:

So, Adobe and Mac combination is not for pro users?

First Adobe disabled exporting Prores XQ on Mac, now latest update (17.0.4.) disables Pro Import plugin, making importing AAF, OMF, FCP XML impossible - even I don't use macOS Catalina!
    In Orwellian way, this is listed under "Bug fixes"! Made me spill my coffee.
    At least add a warning sign to get user attention before pressing update!

If Premiere can import some of these formats, why not After Effects?
    I would imagine Adobe's $11 billion annual revenue…

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Upgraded to AE 2020 - Display Acceleration Disabled

Just updated to AE 2020, and I can't Preview video on timeline anymore. When I scrub playhead I can see the animation, but when I hit Play, I'm getting just static frame (timeline even fully cached). There is also "Display Acceleration Disabled" alert in the corner of the Comp. Could you fix this issue asap?

Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
    Memory: 16 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 4000…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add render bar on icon

Please add a render bar on icon when After Effects is rendering (like Premiere or Media Encoder) it's very helpfull

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix XML import on Catalina

XML import is currently broken on AE, with the following error message:

After Effects: AEGP Plugin Pro Import:

"Fatal internal AAF/OMF/XML error.
    Please contact customer support." (0:1134) ( 5027 :: 12 )

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Revival of direct export of mp4 container h.2648(mp4コンテナh.264の直接書き出しの復活)

Please restore the mp4 (h.264 format) direct export feature that was possible in previous versions.

It is possible to send to and export from AME even under current conditions.I feel inconvenient because I can not give out what I was able to release freely.

In the current version with Ae's render queue function, it is easy for users to be able to export directly.

以前のバージョンで可能だったmp4(h.264形式)の直接書き出し機能を戻してほしい。

現状でもAMEに送り書き出すことは可能ですが、気軽に出せていたものが出せなくなり不便に感じます。Aeのレンダーキュー機能がある現行バージョンでは直接書き出しができる事がユーザーにとっては手軽です。

48 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Full program multi-threaded support

After Effects would benefit greatly from being able to actually utilize all cores when rendering, rather than having to rely on a third party solution, like the excellent program Render Garden by Mekajiki.

928 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

377 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everybody!

(This post was co-authored by Tim Kurkoski (After Effects Product Owner), Andrew Cheyne (After Effects Engineering Manager), and Victoria Nece (After Effects Product Manager).)

This thread has been sitting here for quite a while without a response. To start, we want to apologize for that. We haven’t been ignoring you or your feedback – this is just a particularly complex topic. That said, it’s time for us to check in with you, clarify a few things, and give you an idea of what we’re looking at for the future of After Effects, especially when it comes to performance.

To start, we fully understand that you want After Effects to be as fast as it can be – utilizing your computer’s hardware resources to render as fast as possible. Over the last several years, we have been working on the performance of After Effects constantly. Sometimes those performance gains…

7. Composition = Folder

It would be great if I could expand a composition on the timeline like you can do it with folder in photoshop.

This way I could view all layers and keyframes directly from a parent comp without having to switch between comps.

Adobe, please add that feature! It would be a huuuuge time saver and workflow optimization.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please add option to not load workspace on file, but rather stick to the one you are currently using.

Opening old files or files from other designers always loads the workspace on the file, which in most cases doesn't match the current one, or simply isn't available.

I've found that it is very rare that I want to use a different workspace than the one I am currently using when opening a file, so this behavior forces unneeded interaction and interruption to the workflow

It would be ideal to have a general option to disable this behavior and instead ignore the workspace setting saved on the file.

Thanks!

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. BUG: AE cc2020 - Wrong levels with ProRes files if project is set to 32 bits/channel

ProRes and ProRes(HQ) files are too dark in AE if the project Color Depth is set to '32 bits per channel (float)'. ProRes 4444 and h264 files are read fine. All works fine with a color depth of either 8 or 16 bit. All color depths work fine in cc2019.

AE Version: 17.0.2
    OSX Version: 10.14.6

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Parent-based filter operator for Timeline search bar

Additional operator for the Timeline search bar, allowing the user to filter for parent properties.

For example:
    Let's say I have multiple layers, each containing two groups (let’s call them “Top” and “Bottom”), and each containing a path. I want to change the Line Cap on “Top”’s path to rounded. If I search for "cap", then I’m shown the Line Cap options for the paths in both groups in each layer.

It would be great if there were a way to search for something like "top: cap", so that it only shows me properties containing "cap" that also have a…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Option to quantize keyframes when time stretching with Alt key

Time stretching with the Alt/Opt key is a great way to quickly adjust the length of an animation, but it almost always leads to subframe positioning of keyframes. There are plenty of scripts out there to fix the results of this problem (I use KEYboard), but it would be great if we could avoid this problem all together by holding the Shift key after we start Alt+Dragging. Shift would be in line with the existing behavior of snapping keys to other keys, layer in/out points, and marke

48 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Folders

ist not the first request of this kind, but i still miss folders in the comp/timeline window for more comfort. it not always make sense to have something in a pre comp – especially when its animated – and to jump back and forth to adjust keyframes. it would be so great to have it all in one comp and just pack layers into folders and giving them a mask too. the set mask option does not compensate the miss of folders with masks – just think of a photoshop without folders for big composition jobs – unthinkable today :…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. aerender does not respect mem_usage flags

among the many flags provided by aerender, there is a mem_usage flag. However it does not seem to make any difference, and while I used to be able to render 12 processes simultaneously on a machine with 32gb ram, I can't run more than 4 on a machine nowadays with 64gb without the entire machine grinding to a halt.

Perhaps the "percentage of memory" could be updated to be a fixed value to more accurately reflect modern needs.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Proper colour palettes

Give us proper colour palettes like InDesign. If you've used a colour then it just shows up automatically in your palette window. Re-use it wherever and if you change it in there it updates colours project wide. Or group them and change multiple colours together. Would be so useful for iteration and amendments.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Don't require track mattes to be above the layer it modifies (and also allow re-use)

Requiring a track matte to be right above the layer it modifies seems like an archaic convention at best. Get rid of that requirement and make them like parent layers which can be anywhere and used by many layers.

309 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. BUG: CC Repetile gives empty pixels gap when applied to an adjustment layer

When applied to an adjustment layer CC RepeTile generates 2 empty extra pixels between the tiles. This is a bug! The problem is present in both AE 2019 and 2020 versions. When applied directly to the footage it seems to work fine.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Please add a taper effect/option to 'Stroke' as well as Shape Layer strokes.

Please add a taper effect/option to 'Stroke' as well as Shape Layer strokes.

It's such a simple request that has been requested for over 8 years. The ability to taper a stroke of any kind. Either from the "Effects & Presets - Stroke" or a simple Shape Layer stroke.

195 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. source text shortcut

Could we have a shortcut to access "source text" easily ?

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Centralized plugins and scripts folder

Just select the folder where AE should load the plugins and scripts from.
    Like it is in Cinema 4D R21 or like it is handled with extensions.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make FX Console a native AE function

Video Copilot's FX console is useful, but it seems to break with every major AE update, and support is sporadic. Make something like it that can be stable and reliable!

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base