After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Onion Skin

You propably have people asking you that, but it would be just great to have a Onion Skin function at the Ae, so we could see some of the frames/keyframes before or even after. That could help a lot while doing some animation, effects and I think everything, couse you have a more wide view of what you are doing without needing a pre render

106 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

14 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Upgraded to AE 2020 - Display Acceleration Disabled

Just updated to AE 2020, and I can't Preview video on timeline anymore. When I scrub playhead I can see the animation, but when I hit Play, I'm getting just static frame (timeline even fully cached). There is also "Display Acceleration Disabled" alert in the corner of the Comp. Could you fix this issue asap?

Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
    Memory: 16 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 4000…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bug - Roughen Edges doesn't work the same in 2020 as it does in previous versions

In AE CC 2020, the Roughen Edges effect still shows the original edges of shapes and vectors. It also produces oddly colored edges.

This wasn't the case before this version. It used to produce nice rough edges.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make an archive of the AE SDK forum available.

The old AE SDK forum contained hundreds of threads with valuable information that is not available in the AE SDK guide. Very many of those threads are no longer available at all, and the new interface is no longer navigable because it is not possible to limit searches to posts tagged with 'SDK' or in any other meaningful way. Moreover, questions about the SDK are simply not being answered any more, and there is no other support resource. I don't think I would have been able to get anywhere near where I am now without the help of the forum,…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow for scripts to access After Effects Color picker

Writing scripts for after effects is fun as well as frustrating, but scripts allow for the community to bring features to After effects to ease workflow processes.
    And I think adding the possibility to access After effects native color picker would open up a great amount of potentials for scripts.

Currently we have to adress OS native color pickers which from my experience doesn't match colors with AE.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Scaling down output size in Media Encoder from AE is buggy

When sending compositions to Media Encoder for rendering, scaling the output size down from the original size results in really bad, jaggy pixel scaling.

This *only* happens when exporting AE to Media Encoder, not when importing footage into Media Encoder or when exporting from Premiere to Media Encoder.

Tested in:
    AE 16.1.3
    AE 17.0.0
    ME 13.1.5
    ME 14.0

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bug: After Effects 2020 crashes on zoom

After Effects 2020 keeps crashing when I use my Apple Wireless Magic Mouse 2 to zoom in. As soon as I slide my finger, the application crashes. It seems like it's isolated to one specific pre-comp.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. BUG: Undo not updating viewer window until move viewer or zoom

When you undo currently then the viewer doesn't update. The bounding box of what has been undone moves into place but the image doesn't update until you move or zoom into the image

Running AE 16.1

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. RAM Preview Broken

In the latest update, RAM preview is broken. It will cache frames but never finish or get stuck locking existing frame. even when cached, playback is not working. I have to scrub everything right now. I've reset the RAM preview pane state but same results.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Possible bug with timecode override checkbox in a ProRes output module

Bug Report:

I suspect a bug in Quicktime Format options when setting custom start timecode (vs using timeline timecode).

"Output Module Settings"> set to Quicktime ProRes422 > "Format Options">"Quicktime Options">"Set Start Timecode" checkbox and customize value.

If you check the checkbox, customize the value, click "ok", reopen "Format Options" checkbox is unchecked and value default.

This is on Windows 10 with AE v16.1.3 & v17.0.0.

Please let me know if this is a reproducible bug, or if this setting is not expected to work with certain codecs, like ProRes422, as I'm testing it with.

Thank you.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Don't Auto-Select the Expression Auto-Fill

When you start typing an expression and the Auto Fill pops up it also Auto Selects it so when you just want to press enter to close the expression it actually auto-fills and closes it at the same time. This is rage inducing. (just sayin). Please don't auto select the auto fill.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Define the Output Path / Module for a Project

When working on several alternating projects, for each time we render the Output Paths and Output Module have to be set.
    Why not make these part of the Project Settings?

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Label Colors for Keyframes

Allow users to use the same label colors but for keyframes similar to markers. This would definitely be helpful for character animation to help organize different loops or cycles. Simply add a list to the context menu when right clicking on selected keyframes.

467 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow scripts to have access to clipboard

Currently, scripts need to send a command line to copy from clipboard, this seems to be much slower on Windows than on MAC, making scripts not as optimized on Windows machines. Allowing scripts to have direct access to clipboard would fix this issue and make the workflow on Windows comparable to Macs in this regard.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make Stroke of 0 possible in Layer Styles

When animating Stroke Width of Layer Styles, it's essential to be able to have a Stroke of 0 (zero) width. But the lowest possible value is 1.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Disk playback instead of RAM,

I get that 20 years ago hard drives weren't the quickest and there was a limited choice in codecs so it made sense to playback from RAM. But now we all have SSDs and DNxHR exists I don't get why AE has not been re-written to playback straight from a hard drive rather than moving it into RAM first. It would be great for AE to playback from disk with a choice of codec and bit depth dependent on a users needs and system capability, much in the way that Resolve does with smart cache (see pic). Uncompressed I gather…

163 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. After Effects doesn't properly support SWF import from Adobe Animate

This would be a great feature but it doesn't work very well! Advanced layers don't work properly, some types of easing don't display correctly, and nested/masked layers don't display correctly (see attached screenshot).

Please implement it properly!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Fix Adobe AE 2020 export in AME 2020

When exporting from After Effects 2020 or a Premiere Pro sequence that has a AE sequence inside, AME 2020 crashes when trying to export.

See https://adobeproblems.wordpress.com/2019/09/16/daily-adobe-quirks-media-encoder-failed/ . Having the same problem on macOS Majove on an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Preview with alpha background

Hello,

In the After Effects composition settings, it is not possible to have an alpha background. Example in attachment.
    I would like to have this feature to launch a preview with alpha.
    An alpha preview, would play the alpha on a video device that works in compositing. Example in attachment.

thanks you for attention.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base