After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bug Report: Immersive Environment Projection Options

In Version 18, they removed the "VR Goggles" from the Composition Window which is where we would change the projection for the Adobe Immersive Enviroment so that the footage would be properly displayed inside of a VR Headset. You didn't give us another place to change this settings so any versions of AE past 17.7.0 are unusable for 360 VR workflows. Can we get our button back? #AdobeUXQC_Fail

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

18 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. After Effects 22.4 crashing with Cinema 4D 3D renderer

After Effects crashes all the time when choosing Cinema 4D renderer for extruding and animating shapes, I have tried reinstalling, clearing preferences and importing the .AEP in a new project or restarting from scratch without success.

After Effects 22.4
    MacBook Pro M1 Max 64 GB Memory
    Monterey 12.4

Thanks in advance!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  7 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Save location should be where I opened the recent project...

There are few posts on this but I'm surprised it doesn't have more votes.

It seems really counter intuitive and downright frustrating that whenever I open a recent project and go to save it, it automatically suggests the folder I used last, which could be a completely different project... not just simply where I opened the file from!?

It's such a time sink having to manually dig through folders between clients and it's way too easy to accidental save files in the wrong projects.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Magnification Ratio Revamp

Hello. We would love to see the Magnification Ratio updated with custom zoom values. Based on a small poll in MDA Slack, 7 people agree.

1. Customize the values in the Magnification Ratios list in the AE Preferences.
    2. Add "Custom..." to bottom of Magnification Ratio list and allow entering one-time custom value.

Thanks!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. AE frequently resets preferences upon opening

Ever since the release of AE 22.2, it happens quite frequently to me that AE resets all preferences upon opening it. Maybe something like every fourth or fifth time of opening it (but the frequency seems to vary). Other times, I just get an error message that some preference file contains an expected value (but I don't think it resets all preferences, though).

Is this a known bug? Can I do something about it? There are so many preferences I have to add back every time that I can't really work in these AE versions.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  6 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Essential Graphics in Render Queue

Exposing Essential Graphics/Essential Properties in the Render Queue would let us quickly render out variations of a single composition without having to create several copies of a comp within the project.

I could see this as either a tab in the Render Settings dialog, or possibly an entirely new Render Item row that sits between Render Settings and Output Modules when a comp has properties in Essential Graphics.

Bonus points if this Essential Graphics render item row could be scriptable or tie into CSV/TSV/JSON data. This would be great for automated headless rendering. (But maybe this is a separate feature…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make All Effects 32bit Compatible

I use After Effects for compositing my 3D renders, and I always export 16 or 32 bit EXRs, starting to use ACES. Unfortunately, many, many effects are still only 8 bit, some support 16, and some can do 32. If you don't want to lose me and many other compositors (at least those that are left), please update more effects to 32bit!

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. AutoSave Does. Not. AutoSave.

AutoSave DOES NOT ACTUALLY SAVE half the time. This is ridiculous, especially since your software is famous for crashing regularly for approx 100% of users.

Stop with horrible annual upbreaks and just. fix. your. software.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. AE 22.4.0 is horrendously slow

Sorry, I'm not sure what else to say about this other then AE 22.4.0 is EXTREMELY slow in performance all round. I mean the timeline takes forever to cache and render just a single frame for the viewport.

I rolled back to 22.0 and the speed difference is chalk and cheese. 22.0 is an order of magnitude faster.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. AE 22.6 Bug CSV File Issue

After upgrading to AE 22.6, I am unable to render a comp that uses a CSV file to assign colors to multiple shape layers. I keep getting error 512. After rolling back to 22.5, the project works again.
    The mogrt I created from this project also crashes Premiere 22.6.1 when I try to render. Rolling back Premiere to 22.5 fixes the problem.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Kevin,

Thanks again for reporting this issue. We were able to reproduce the error with your project and we are investigating a fix for future versions of After Effects.

In After Effects 22.6, the simplest workaround for this issue is to choose "Mercury Software Only" for the renderer in the Project Settings under Video Rendering. That should allow the project to render successfully.

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

11. Add a "Set text layer to current font" option/button to the edit dropdown/Character panel

In After effects in the Character Panel, if I have a font selected e.g. Roboto Regular and with my cursor I select a text layer, which has a different font let's say Arial Regular, There is no way to apply the currently set font to that layer. I have to switch the font to let's say Roboto Medium and back to Regular to apply the currently selected font.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 22.6 render >10 times slower in Mac M1 than 22.5 - PLEASE CHECK!

22.6 render engine is not working properly on M1 Macs. After a couple of seconds rendering times rise by 10x to 100x times. AE sequence in Premiere are causing Premiere to export in hours or "GPU Error" crash. Please check. Just rolled back to 22.5 and that is working properly.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Option to see if a layer has any other layers connected to it

Before deleting a layer that looks 'un used' it will be super useful to be able to quickly double check if maybe some other layers are reliant on it because they are either parented or linked to it.

When a project has many layers, especially if the project file has been worked on by more than one person, you sometimes don't know or don't remember if a null layer is actually being used, or an old version of a layer, that you switched off, is actually parented to a new layer (usually to save time reanimating stuff).

It will be…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Bug: Layers becoming unparented in comp when project is imported into another project multiple times

I am able to reproduce this bug consistently, if I have an AE project, containing a comp with a layer that is parented to a null, then I import that project into another project 4 times, on the fourth instance that was imported, the layer is no longer parented to the null.

I have included a simple project file that I'm importing, as well as a project where I've imported it 4 times, you'll see on the fourth imported project, layer isn't parented.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Dark Mode support in MacOS

import and save and close windows are light when they should be dark when system dark mode is on. please please please fix this, I've been waiting years for this to be fixed but somehow not fixed yet.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. RAM Preview not realtime and unusable after exporting MacBook M1 Pro

RAM Preview is fine when freshly opened After effects but when you export your project to Media Encoder things gets annoying. Now if you go back to your project and start RAM Preview it only renders about 2-5 frames. The only fix i can do is restart the after effects and load the project again.

AE v 22.6
    ME v 22.6
    Chip: Apple M1 Pro
    Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)
    Memory: 16 GB

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. View Options

Would love "Copy View Options" and "Apply View Options" as a Menu Item. This would allow batch updating view options across all comps.

View > Copy View Options
    View > Apply View Options

Should "Copy" the current Composition's Magnification Ratio, Resolution Factor, Fast Preview Pref, Transparency, Mask/Shape Visibility, Title/Action Safe, Proportional Grid, Grid, Guides, Rulers, 3D Reference Axes, RGB, Exposure, and all settings under View Options...

Should "Apply" all the above to the current Composition, or all selected comps in the Project Panel.

(If Mag Ratio > "Fit" or "Fit to Comp" are selected, don't just copy the zoom value…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Please my effects aren't working

When I drag the change to colour effect to effect to my clip and I customize it, there are no changes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base