After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Better edit Source Text

When choose 'Edit value' in the contextual menu of Source Text, we can edit the text on the Canvas. This is not always the most convenient way to edit text. I remember in earlier versions, the text could be edited in a separate popup window. This comes in handy when the text is hidden, or Offset or blurred or whatever.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Issues with After Effects on a network. Preview window is slow to respond or doesn't respond when changes are made. Works fine offline.

Issues with After Effects on a network. We have a SAN, no network issues or disk i/o problems. When using After Effects 2018, there are issues with the preview window and it is very slow to respond when you make changes. Sometimes it never responds and is just blank grey until you flush cache, close AE, etc. Duplicating the project locally works fine as well as working offline.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Move the Smart Quotes toggle into the Character Panel

Currently the toggle for Smart Quotes is only accessible in the overflow menu on the Character panel. A checkbox for Smart Quotes should be added to the panel itself -- like Ligatures and Hindi Digits.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. eyedropper is not working on CC2018 on high sierra

The eyedropper is not working as expected.

I always set the background of my comps to the color of the interface using the eyedropper but in the new version it changes the color to black, not grey.

I have manually been setting the color to 232323, but it's too time consuming.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improve Tutorials Guidance

I'm watching the After Effect beginner tutorials (specifically: Create 3D Type with Cinema 4D Renderer) and the narrator is very quickly navigating through the different steps of add shape layers etc but without any explanation ahead of time of why he is doing so. Rather, it is left to the viewer to discern after the effect (pun intended) as to what the function the various layers are.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bug Report - Broken text animator on 3d-text layers

Text gets cut off along the top of the text box boundary when animating in from the Y-Axis -- only when the text layer is 3D. Seems to be a new bug with the latest AE update. Would appreciate it if you guys could check that out. Thanks!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Override render/calculation order

So, AE calculates all properties in a specific order when rendering: first masks, then effects, then transforms, track mattes, etc. I don't know all of the details by heart.

When you set up an animation, you sometimes run into instances where you want to have AE calculate the render differently - so it thinks about layer styles before motion blur, etc. There are workarounds, usually involving pre-comping.

What if you could apply an effect on a per-layer or per-comp basis to override this render order? Ideally you could drag the steps into whatever order would work for your scenario.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. AE and AN should have smooth zoom on stage (Ctrl+Spacebar+Mouseclic) like PS and AI. That is a basic but powerfull thing.

AE and AN should have smooth zoom on stage (Ctrl+Spacebar+Mouseclic) like PS and AI. That is a basic but powerfull thing.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix illustrator/after effects clipboard autosave bug

After effects have had this problem forever. If you have something copied to your clipboard from illustrator ( path, shape, anything, right click > copy ) and you go to your After effects window and AE starts autosave, after effects will crash. Sometimes it manages to show error message, most of the time not. You'll lose any changes you've made.
    Adobe programs should work together smoothly, would make more sense if you can copy paste shapes straight from illustrator to after effects without any reroutes.
    It's called Auto Save not Auto Destroyer :D!

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. smart cache in background while working simultaneously

smart cache in background while working simultaneously like the one we have in Davinci resolve

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Edit original in context menu

It's a minor thing, but I tend to use the context menu quite often. I wish I could have edit original in there in After Effects as well. I use a couple of other Adobe Apps and most of them have Edit Original in the context menu. In After Effects I always have to remember the Keyboard Shortcut cmd+E (which is different in other Apps). So when I toggle between multiple Apps it would be just nice to have Edit Original where I expect it.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Remove 3 hours max video length limit

I need to import and process an 5,5 hours long video, but AE only handles videos with max length of 3 hours. Please extend the max limit to at least 6 hours.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bug

Not able to use certain files after upgrading to 15.1.1. h264 quicktimes mostly. I rolled back to 15.0.0 and everything works as it should.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

We would like to examine one or more of the files. Would you be willing to share them with us? If you prefer not to post them publicly, you can send a link (no attachments) to aebugs@adobe.com.

Also, please tell us which application or device wrote these files.

The April 2018 release of After Effects CC (version 15.1) no longer supports legacy QuickTime processes:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/quicktime7-support-dropped.html

H.264 is still a supported codec for After Effects 15.1, including inside of a QuickTime container file. However, some applications can write QuickTime files (regardless of codec) using features of the QuickTime format that could only be read by using the now-removed legacy QuickTime processes, and such files can no longer be supported natively in After Effects. We have also encountered QuickTime files where the header data was not written to specification, which After Effects could not…

17. script not run when use cmd to call afterfx.exe

bat file like this:
    "C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe After Effects CC 2017/Support Files/AfterFx.exe" -so -noui "var a = new File("D:/Adobe Script/temp.jsx") ; a.open(); alert(a.read());eval(a.read()); app.exitAfterLaunchAndEval = false;"

the temp.jsx will run success in after effects from menu:File->Scripts no matter the script include chinese string inside or not.
    But it will fail to exec when use cmd to call afterfx.exe like the command above.
    But in another computer it will run success,very strange.Both of the test computers are Win10 professional 64Bit

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Duplicating a comp tied to the essential graphics panel causes data loss.

Duplicating a comp tied to the essential graphics panel causes data loss. The project will not save after the fact and crash. 15.1.1 build 12

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Can't open one project. Opening it with a new project doesn't work.

Does it have anything to do with any (Adobe) plugins? Really need the project fast.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this feature request.

You state, “Bring back the ability to scroll with the cursor”, however After Effects has never had this functionality. While Photoshop and some other Adobe applications allow this, After Effects has not ever previewed a font in context of selected text layers when the mouse pointer rolls over font names in the Font Family menu.

So, to clarify: are you asking that this functionality be added to After Effects? Or is there a different functionality that existed in previous releases of After Effects that you’re referring to?

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base