After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Issues with importing AE-Files and Typetool slowly previewing

Since last update and installing on the latest biggest Mac Studio machine, I lost hirachical connections between layers of imported AE-Compositions. Wy? When I open up the AE-File directly all connections are still there. The Type-tool is horrible, the refreshing wile texttyping have a massive delay and it's dificult to select the last character.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Revert or discard changes in Team Projects

When using Team Projects, there is currently no way to revert or discard your own changes. If a user makes some mistakes, changes their mind, or doesn't want to "commit" unnecessary changes to the cloud, they don't have an option to reset to the last shared version. This makes the feature effectively unusable, the user would have to push their changes regardless of whether they are desired or not. What if the changes are project-breaking? There is also no way to view Team Project Versions or Autosaves for After Effects Team Projects, even though this feature exists for Premiere.

Deleting…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. We need the ability to not only have all upper case option for text, we need Title casing (Upper Lower) and all lower

We need the ability to not only have all upper case option for text, we need Title casing (Upper Lower) and all lower. AE only has all upper now.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ESC key to leave any mouse dragging process we decide to abort like: changing values, taking files from project panel to comp panel etc

Sometimes we start changing values, like those of position and scale but we found out in the middle of the process that we want to abort and the only way to revert that is by finishing the process and, only then, use CTRL + Z to revert which is less productive than just hitting ESC before releasing the mouse button.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Overlord plugin not working with After Effects Beta

I've used Overlord for After Effects for a long time and it doesn't seem to be working now with Beta. I thought I remembered it working in previous versions of Beta though...Anyone having any luck with getting this plugin to work?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Audio pipeline for essential graphics media replacement

Media replacement in Mogrts has been amazing for so many usecases. But as it stands, it is only pushing pixels outside of source compositions.

This means it still does not have a ton of use outside of still images or media without audio.

It would be great if I could use media replacement to replace a video clip in after effects, and have the audio from the replacement video playback as well!

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove Parenthesis () around the "Footage" folder when using Collect Files feature

These parenthesis are HARMFUL to production servers like the one at the agency I work at, and are generally unnecessary for the auto-generated folder when using the "collect files" feature in After Effects. Just "Footage" would be TOTALLY fine, but the parenthesis cause a lot of problems for machines and teams that can easily get tripped up with special characters. Please remove them from that dependency!!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Recognize active Media Replacement Comps as Used

When media replacement is used in the Essential Properties, a new comp is created in a 'Media Replacement Comps' folder. If one were to delete this comp, it would break the link and show the original media.

However, these active media replacement comps, which are being used in other comps, do not show as 'Used' when filtering with the dropdown list in the Project panel.

Similarly, they don't show as Used, or show a comp reference, in the preview area at the top of the Project panel, when they are selected.

In order to be able to safely clean up…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Visibility Icon in essential GFX

I would like to see a selectable visibilty icon available in the essential GFX panel (edit properties window) when creating motion graphics templates for Premiere pro. We would benefit from this so layers can be swtched on /off in prem - this can be done with a checkbox and a bit of code but this adds extra fiddling about.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. invalid image buffer size

Solve this some how. Rendering stoped and Its stopping everything, my business.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Expose the selected state for shape / mask points to Extendscript Scripting API

Add an attribute to the Shape object (Shape.selected ?) which is an array of booleans providing the selected state of each point on a mask or shape object.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. extComms error - Status code 0

I'm receiving this error in both after effects 22.2 and after effects 22.3 beta. It happens as soon as the app loads. It doesn't cause a crash, but I can't figure out what's causing it.

I'm working on a Macbook Pro 16" 2019 (intel based), macOS 12.2.1, 64gb ram, 8-core

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. BUG: Media Encoder always GPU despite CPU or GPU setting

We are creating Metaballs visual effects which require delicate setting using Gaussian Blurs.

We have animated projects using the new Gaussian Blur with the Project Setting set to Mercury Software Only.

When setting Project Setting to Mercury GPU Acceleration Metal, the visuals look vastly different.

When rendering with Media Encoder, no matter if we set the renderer to be Mercury Software Only OR Mercury GPU, it ALWAYS matches the appearance of rendering with AE Project Settings set to Mercury GPU.

In other words, Media Encode is ignoring and refusing to render in Mercury Software Only mode.

See linked file:
    -…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Transition generator directly from After Effects to Premiere Pro

All the time when I want to add my custom transition in premiere I have to create new AAE comp and all the time make the same things. This app need to easy transitions making system where you'll declarate "dummy in" and "dummy end" of clip, and import it into Premiere pro, as transition with all comp solids, adjustment layers, nulls and effects.

I've tried to do my custom transitions using newest option to replace video components from premiere pro, but it's stupid declarate. There isn't "dummy video" but you have to set video path and replace this path from…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. After effects must understand that an illustrator link layer in photoshop is an illustrator file

Photoshop has a new feature that link an illustrator file directly with the 'convert to linked'

After effects doesn't understand that this particulary files is an .ai file so this file in after effect is converted to .psd

For a better workflow, that will be great if after effects consider this file to an .ai file to have the possibility to convert the illustrator layer (import by the way of a photoshop file) into Shape Layers in After Effects

Thank you for your time

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Toggle 3D transform Gizmos

Be great to be able to quickly toggle the 3D transform gizmos on and off, much like you can do it with a shortcut (e.g. CTRL R for Rulers) or even built into the composition panel like the toggle transparency grid.

I love using them but would be great to turn on and off quickly rather than having to go up into the View Options drop down

Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Create alpha channel (mask) from shapes

It would be cool if masks could be created from a shape layer.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

Could you elaborate on how you would like to create a mask or alpha channel from shape layers?

Using a shape as a mask or an alpha channel is already possible in AE. There are several possible methods, and I'll outline some of them below, but please let us know what you'd like to see that is different.

Method 1: Copy a Beizer shape path to a mask path

1. This only works with Bezier shape paths. If you create a parametric shape path (rectangle, ellipse, star, etc.), right click on the path (e.g. Rectangle Path 1) and choose Convert to Bezier Path.
    2. Twirl open the shape's Path group (e.g. Path 1) and select the Path property.
    3. Edit > Copy or Cmd/CTRL + C
    4. Select the layer you want to add a new mask to, and draw a new mask on it. It doesn't matter…
  18. Levels: move one handle only

Please make it possible to move the black and white input sliders without touching the gamma point. (e.g. by adding an optional lock to the gamma, or pressing alt when moving the silders)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Drag and drop folders to libraries panel

I need the ability to simply drag and drop folders of assets into the Libraries Panel in After Effects. Currently it won't let me do it and I have to drag in each asset individually. Seems kinda pointless.

The ability to drag and drop folders seems like the optimal idea. Please add this functionality. Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Roto Performance Abysmal

I don't understand why when I have 128GB, and 18 core processor, and a RTX 2080TI with 12GB of video ram that rotoscoping a 4k clip thats 10 seconds long, the performance drags down so much I have to wait 20 seconds to be able to add a add/subtract roto brush mark.

I look at my computer usage and After Effects is barely using 5% of my cpu and gpu.

The rendering of the frame not to mention the propagation takes SO long on a complicated roto, it's barely usable in my opinon.

Adobe PLEASE bump up CPU/GPU usage for…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base