After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. [BUG] ROTOBRUSH

The rotobrush tool doesn't work correctly. I can't drag the pencil to make a successful selection.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. After the new update, After Effects won't open a fairly large file that I NEED for my work

After the most recent update, After Effects won't open a file I NEED to open. (it could always open it before the update)

Link to video demonstration:
    https://vimeo.com/265197055

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. better handling of large illustrators files

Large (pixel wise) illustrator files take forever to preview the first time you open it in your comp, I don't recall it being that long I would say prior to CC2015 please take a look at it

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. track matte per effect

The possibility to add mask per effects through the compositing options was a great addition would be great to be also able to choose another layer as a track matte for each effect the way set matte works.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Essential Graphics Bug

Need to fix a bug in the system. Killing projects by trying to use Essential Graphics is essentially a bad way of business.

I'm stuck in a loop with the error
    After Effects error: internal verification failure, sorry! (stream at index has gone wrong matchname)

This is the first time I've seen this error.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bug: "Create Nulls from Points" and 3D layers

There is a bug with the the "Create Nulls from Points" feature. If all the nulls and layers are set to 3D, and then the project is closed and opened again, After Effects will crash (i.e. the file is corrupted). Leaving the layers as 2D seems to work fine.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bug after updating to 15.1

After updating Ae to the current version the program became buggy.

Pop-up dialogue boxes are just white (no buttons visible), program becomes unresponsive and can't perform tasks like pre-compose.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

Help!

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create a keyboard shortcut for the transparency grid's switch (at the bottom of the composition viewer).

Unless there's an underlying programming issue, this seems like an easy lay up.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to see audio waveform and keyframes at the same time

It would be great if you could see a layer’s audio keyframes and waveforms at the same time - maybe a bit like in Premiere. It’s annoying to have to toggle between the two when working with audio. It would also be useful to be able to see a muted layers waveforms.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. could not open file

After updating to After Effects 2018 when I try open projects made in the previous version i'm bombarded with multiple errors such as "Could not open the file...", "Unable to open the file.... If the file is opened in another application...". This pops up for each video asset I have in the projects.

I've tried converting these files to another format and saving to a local HDD rather then the network they were on but still get the same issue. I've also tried back-saving, deleting old preferences files, clearing cache etc.

AFX 2018 is barely usable at the moment for…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Escape button in keyboard shortcuts editor

Currently (in Ae version 15.1.0) it is impossible to assign a hotkey combination that contains Esc button.
    There is no Escape key in left upper corner in displayed keyboard model, so you cannot drag some action to button (or button to some action).
    When you try to create a new key binding and press Esc, then this Keyboard Shortcuts window will just close.

This bug has an easy workaround: Press "ctrl + alt + ;" to open settings, then press Reveal Preferences in Explorer, then go to aeks folder and edit Custom.txt manually.

To solve this bug Adobe can add…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Click and Drag Freezes App

Anytime I try to click and drag in the composition, whether it's to move something, resize something, or change an anchor point, the whole application will freeze for a few minutes, giving me the "not responding" indications that Windows has. Eventually, it will start responding again, but without having made any changes.
    I can still change position, scale and anchor point numerically in the timeline, but that can be inconvenient for certain things

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. CINEWARE & VFX

After Effects needs to improve the compatibility with Cinema 4D, adding into CINEWARE tool more features and faster performance for VFX workflows.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. simplify the output render template

Right now if you want to render a comp from after effects you have to set its output render setting, its output module and its output path.

Speaking for myself I've saved the render settings and output modules I use the most as presets and I even saved some "file name and location templates" which are using the project folder token to have relative path to my current so I don't even have to go through an os window to choose my output path (by the way those 'tokens' would need some love from the marketing and developping team because…

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bug in Extract effect for After Effects 2018 (15.1.0 Build 166)

The latest update has changed the Extract values from float to integer. It's now useless for 32-bit comps. Please fix.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Close Tabs To The Right

Borrow the wonderful little Close Tabs To The Right option from Chrome (and add a "To The Left" option) and add it to the Timeline Panel menu.

When working with deeply nested comps, it would be really handy to close a bunch of comps to the right (or left) of the currently open comp. Close Other Timeline Panels isn't always the best option to clear out the tabs you want shut.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Jump custom number of frames on the timeline

Ability to go forward/back a settable number of frames (like 7 or 24) using a non-existing combination (like Cmd+Shift + PgUp/Down on Mac and Ctrl+Shift + PgUp/Down on PC).
    The number of frames could be set in the Keyboard Shortcuts panel.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please can you bring back the Filmstrip export / import function in After Effects (and Premiere and Photoshop)

Hi,

Please can you bring back the Filmstrip export function which I think was dropped from After Effects after CS4 and I think from Premiere after CS3.

(Or alternatively, please can you make the CS3 and CS4 versions of Adobe CS software available through Creative Cloud subscription so the Filmstrip feature is readily available to use again.)

I realise that it's possible to draw on top of video frame by frame in the Photoshop CC2018 Timeline - and that's great, it's a very useful feature.

However I was trying to create a distressed effect across a video where precision as…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. The ability to import multiple img seqs

When compositing, you want to be able to batch import img sequences. You currently have to use a third party script.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. VFX

After Effects could have more and better effects and tools for VFX workflow.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base