After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Expressions pick whip should escape quotation marks in property references

When using the expression pick-whip on a property whose name or ancestor group name contains quotation marks, the property reference generated includes un-escaped quotation mark characters, terminating the name strings prematurely. It would be helpful if these and any other special characters were automatically escaped the way quotes in layer and comp names are already automatically escaped.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Pick Whip

In the new Properties Panel in the beta version, it would be nice to be able to pick whip directly from the properties panel.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Bug - Naming exports.

On Mac Studio M1 Ultra, when wanting to name a file I am exporting in the Render Queue window.

I often click the name of a previous file that is already exported in the folder as i want to just create a new version of that same file name. Let's say change filenameV01 to filenameV02. thats when that window freezes for about 10-20 seconds before I can edit anything again.

This happens many times a day. Only happens when clicking an existing file name in the exports folder.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Automatically clean disk cache

After Effects should automatically clean the disk cache, removing the oldest cached frames / information as needed to ensure the cache isn't filling to the maximum unnecessarily.

Currently I have 1TB dedicated to my disk cache and have to purge it weekly. This is frustrating because not all of the items should be purged, and removing items selectively isn't currently practical.

Thank you for your consideration of this idea.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Your user guide is terrible

Hi,
    I just wanted to look up what INCREMENT AND SAVE (file menu) means. So I first went to AE's support page and typed it into the search field. Nothing related came up. Then I opened the AE user guide, same thing. Then I typed "File Menu" into the search field, nothing. Then I searched in your user guide directory for "file menu", nothing. REALLY?!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. memory problems m1 ultra

I have to restart After Effects 22.5 on my Mac Studio Ultra 128GB about every 30 minutes... After a while after effect seems to lose all capability to keep images in memory. So much so that even if I move the stage (using space bar - hand tool) the frame has to be re-rendered. Zoom in and out: same. In the timeline all green is gone. After effects uses only about 24GB at this time the rest of the memory is free. No other applications that use the RAM are running. After restart of after effects it works fine, keeping…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Projects from previous version of AE opening like molassess in 2022

AE version: 22.1.1 (Build 74)
    Mac OS: Big Sur 11.6.2

I'm trying to open some AE projects that were created in the 2021 version of AE, and it takes on average 10-15 minutes to open them. Once they're open, I can't get a single frame of the composition to appear in the main window. This has effectively blocked me from doing any work in any of these projects, and since I can't roll back to the previous version of AE (which would block me from opening these projects entirely), I'm not really sure what else I can do.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Very high level issue here 12hours troubleshooting with Adobe staff

Hi, So as i said in the title, we went through a cumulative 12 hours of troubleshooting with Adobe staff but Can't resolve the issue.

The issue is: cannot export in mp4 H264 in media encoder from an after effect project "Add to media encoder queue". but nobody was able to resolve it so far.

I Reunited every piece of information and test we did on this notion page :
    https://brazen-conga-75b.notion.site/ADOBE-issue-a01295073c144db58f58b820d44d6ff1

Please help me fix it, I can't work for clients

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Transition generator directly from After Effects to Premiere Pro

All the time when I want to add my custom transition in premiere I have to create new AAE comp and all the time make the same things. This app need to easy transitions making system where you'll declarate "dummy in" and "dummy end" of clip, and import it into Premiere pro, as transition with all comp solids, adjustment layers, nulls and effects.

I've tried to do my custom transitions using newest option to replace video components from premiere pro, but it's stupid declarate. There isn't "dummy video" but you have to set video path and replace this path from…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. After effects travando do nada

Programa congelando e fechando sozinho durante animação de um projeto....
    Utilizo a ultima versão do After effects, original e atualizado, se puderem me ajudar, ficarei muito grato!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Fix Auto-save function

MacOS Big Sur

Auto-save is enabled ”next to project file”. However there were no autosaved project files at all.
    Rendering of project file was frozen out after 2 hours (estimated total render time was 17 min).
    Have to redo the project. Really disappointed and unreliable product.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Fix Export After Effects to Premiere Pro

Hi,
    I didn't know where to report bugs. So I'll do it here.

Project structure in PP after export from AE 2020. Everything looks like it should

After Effects 2021/2022 versions export project to Premiere Pro with errors. The project structure breaks and duplicate elements appear, if you try to remove the duplicate, the original will also be deleted. Items from their folders end up in the root folder

I don't update new versions right away. But there was a need to update. And I was surprised that this bug has existed for several years and has not yet been…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Include FolderItem.duplicate()

compItem.duplicate() is a thing but can't duplicate folders at all. Seems like it should be a thing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Include item.index to ExtendScript

Yes, 'item.id' is cool, but it's not serial, and sometimes you need to iterate through items based on their indexes, trusting the indexes are in numerical order. When I need to get an item's id I need to use its name to loop through the entire project manager until I get a match. It just is so much for something so simple and it feels like item.index should be a thing, just like 'layer.index' is! Please!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. X-OCN debayering clampes highlights and is not looking as intended

You really need to fix the issues, otherwise there is no way to work with AFX in commercial vfx workflows.

The AFX X-OCN debayer results in clamped Highlights (32bpc) and is slightly less sharp. It's like a draft quality debayer. Please look at the picture I provided. It's bad.

I compared AE to the Sony Debayer that creates the same results in every professional video tool

Besides the unacceptable quality, there are no settings possible beyond Colorspace in AE/Interpretation.

And: AE shows a black image and is laggy when enabling linearised workflow and crashed when you try to simulate a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Every comp should include the location of the anchor point, which will be used in the parent.

Currently the anchor point on comps and templates can only be set to an outside edge or the center. Instead provide an actual field in the composition settings where you can enter the anchor point. Clearly for any layer you can move the anchor point to a specific location, so this isn't a foreign concept. I've been creating templates and the most annoying thing is that in a complex template I can't set the most useful anchor point. The user of the template must either deal with the fact that they won't be able to rotate/animate/etc. the template usefully unless…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Multi frame rendering having trouble with cached frames

Hi
    this already happened a couple of times.
    I leave the comp for some time - the bg mfr rendering kikcs in - the green cache bar fills up.
    When it's done i go to the beginning of the comp hit Space (or 0 - doesn't seem to matter) and the playback starts properly in the native project framerate.
    Suddenly at some point of the timeline playback stops, and it seems these frames get rendered again - they are still cached - green bar and everything - but the CTI seems to go as if it's rendering one by one.…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Optimize layered videos.

just, watch the attached video. There's no reason for a moving plate to be hundreds of times easier to compute than a still one. How many optimizations are so niche that they actually hurt performance overall? I get it, an optimized program will no doubt not always have the same efficiency on one frame as another, but this is just silly.

This is the reason my old compositions were all lagging. They all... had un-transformed video files in them. in what world is it less efficient to not calculate movement?

They're the same video, and when they're on top of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. After effects crashing when opening preferences with new update. Please help!

16 RAM and preferences is not opening up. This never happened before the update 2 days ago. Need help!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Yellow info panel on graph editor gets in the way

For very specific changes to animation graphs, the yellow info box can make it very frustrating by obscuring the handles (see screenshot). It would be great to provide an option to remove this feature in settings.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base