After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Revert ALT+Scroll to zoom into the cursor selection

In the past, After Effects would zoom into the position of your cursor when you hold ALT and scroll on your mouse. This is still true until you have a 3D Layer, at which point ALT+Scroll turns into a camera dolly. I never have wanted to dolly in with a camera when ALT+Scrolling and I don't know why this was ever changed. There should either be an option to turn this off, or this should just be turned off.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The new behavior in After Effects 17.5 where holding the Option (Mac) or Alt (Windows) key can be disabled in the new Preferences > 3D dialog.

Disable the “Activate Option/Alt – Left / Middle / Right mouse click for camera navigation” option to return the Option/Alt + scroll wheel behavior to zooming the composition when a 3D layer is present.

2. Restore markers shortcuts

I used to type SHIFT+1 (etc) to make a marker. And then type 1 to go to that marker.

It was a completely essentially part of my workflow. Now, unless I am missing something it has vanished! 😶

Pointers would be greatly appreciated...

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Timeline Marker bugs in 17.5

Running 17.5 on on iMac Pro I cannot place timeline markers using the keyboard, at least for numbers 1 and 2. Once set, I cannot go directly to numbered markers using the keyboard.

Thanks

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this report. What you are reporting is new behavior in After Effects 17.5: the new camera tools and 3D transform gizmos now use the 1/2/3 and 4/5/6 keyboard shortcuts (respectively).

You can disable the new behavior and return the 1-6 keys to navigating keyboard shortcuts by going to Preferences > 3D, and disabling “Use 1/2/3 for navigation and 4/5/6 for transform gizmos”.

More information about the new features is available here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/user-guide.html/after-effects/using/whats-new/2021.ug.html

4. Bug Report: You can calculate positive jumps in the timecode box, but not negative ones.

Eg, at 25fps:

If the timecode is 0:01:03:16 and you had to type +6:00, you'd be rightly taken to 0:01:09:16.

On the other hand, typing -6:00, leaves you with -0:00:06:00 in the timecode box.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi KenS,

To jump to a timecode value that is prior to the current time, type “+-” before the timecode value. This helps After Effects deal with the fact that you can have negative timecode values, i.e., you can place the Current Time Indicator before time 0:00:00:00. Layers and keyframes can also exist in negative time (ex., think about dragging a video layer to the left so that the first frame of your comp starts on the 1s mark of that layer).

There is detailed information here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/previewing.html#move_the_current_time_indicator_cti

The way I think about “+” vs. “-” vs. “+-” in the Current Time field is this hierarchy:
    1. Entering timecode without a + or – modifier takes you to that timecode.
    2. Entering timecode with the – modifier takes you to the negative timecode value.
    3. Entering timecode with the + modifier adds that value to the current time.
    4. Entering…

5. Please buyout or employee some of these awesome coders

So many great scripts make AE much more usable and efficient. Hire some of these guys or buyout their scripts and incorporate it into AE.
    Love the power and customization but dang 3rd parties are making your software more user friendly. That should be Adobe's job.

Would love an update that focuses on UI improvements. Let's face it developers are brilliant but they really don't think or use the software like an end user does. Simple efficient design wins and is business friendly.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for posting. This idea is being closed, please read my message below for detail.

We, the After Effects development team, agree with you that there are many well-designed tools that extend the functionality of After Effects. And that’s intentional: After Effects is built to be extensible, and we are constantly improving the functionality for scripts, panels, and plug-ins. We have a long-standing, close relationship with our developer community.

Many scripts and plug-ins for After Effects are workflow-specific. I appreciate that certain extensions are broadly used by many or even most After Effects users doing certain types of work, but that doesn’t mean the same extensions are needed by all After Effects users. We focus the development of After Effects on core functionality that will be used by as many users as possible, everyone from motion graphic designers to compositors to animators to UX designers to editors to scientific analysis,…

6. Hire a twitter user to listen to After Effects feedback.

Lots of AE users have made suggestions on public forums over the years that might be useful to listen to. I know you want to quantify these feature requests so you can prioritize them in a list.
    "See boss, this FR has 100 votes, so we need to work on that first."

But you're also a company that has tens of thousands of users that work with your product daily and are truly frustrated with some of the ways their productivity is impeded. People make suggestions on twitter, on slack, on their own sites that they've spent time writing up…

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Although the sentiment of this idea is appreciated, this submission is being closed.

This UserVoice site is designed to allow ideas to be promoted via user voting and comments. The best submissions are clear, individual feature requests or stories that describe the desired functionality you would like for After Effects, or the individual problem that you are trying to solve.

The commentary in this submission is better suited for the Adobe Forums (https://forums.adobe.com/community/aftereffects_general_discussion). Or, I will happily chat with you about this over a beer.

Adobe’s Customer Care staff (@AdobeCare) does monitor Twitter and other social media for other posts and responds often when they see people need help. However, due to the volume of requests they aren’t able to respond to everyone. If you need help, please DM them or initiate contact them via phone, email, or chat here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

I also do my best to check…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base