Skip to content

After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. Ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!

29 results found

1. AE 22.4.0 Project Window Comp names cut-off last letter

This morning I updated to AE 22.4.0. Now I'm noticing that in the project window, many of the names of compositions have the last letter in the name cutoff. But it only seems to happen when the length of the comp gets long enough. It doesn't seem to affect anything yet, but it's worth looking at.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix Chapter Markers in the Timeline panel - AE 2022 v22.3.0

Shift+X (x = Numbers 1-6) does not create a marker in the Timeline panel as it should. Selecting 1-6 does not jump to existing markers as it should. This feature currently is only functional in v18.0 - which I am still using because of this. It's such an important feature to my workflow and process.

Resetting Keyboard Shortcuts and specifically creating them again, with even different modifier keys, etc. does not resolve the issue.

Help??

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. MAJOR BUG - Output Module Quicktime format options panel has blank settings

In the export options, the quicktime options has blank settings with values input, but no way to know what those settings are. Critical bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bug report: Effects panel doesn't show up automatically when adding an effect

Bug report: (started with After Effects 22.0 and still going on in version 22.0.1 and 22.1.1, on Macbooks (late 2018 i9 & late 2021 M1 proMAX)
    — The Effects panel you normally find on the left and who might automatically open when applying an effect on a layer DOES NOT show up. You have to manually activate it via Windows in the menu bar.
    Then, when the Effects panel is at last on your workspace, it doesn't switch automatically if the Project panel was already activated. Again, you have to manually click on Effect panel to show the effect you…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Sub-composition doesn't render on screen

This is a bug:
    Create a new project.
    Create a new comp 1920x1080 (main).
    Create another comp 128x128 (small), draw a red rectangle on it. You'll see the path, but not the red rectangle!
    Place "small" onto "main". In "main" you can see the red rectangle. But if you open "small", you still see nothing.
    If you change the width of "small" comp to 593 or more, you see the red rectangle on screen. If the width is 592 or less, you see nothing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Shift Forward Slash

I SWEAR that if I was working in the Effects panel .. the Effects panel active ... I could press Shift Forward Slash to fit my comp viewer to All. Now I can't do that. In order to get Shift Forward Slash to work I have to activate the timeline panel or the comp viewer.

I know this has to have worked in the past - I apparently have the muscle memory of using it when the Effects panel is active because I keep trying to invoke it and my "why isn't this working" frustration is fairly recent.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Marc,

Thanks for filing this bug. This is a known issue in After Effects 18.4. If the Composition or Timeline panel are not focused, keyboard shortcuts for zooming the active viewer panel do not work.

This has been in fixed in After Effects Beta (v22.1). Please install the latest build to confirm the fix. Apologies for the disruption.

7. Add a 'Go To File' button after each export in the Render Queue

We need a pretty simple, and seemingly very obvious addition to the render queue:

After each completed export in the render queue, please add a button that can take you immediately to the rendered file's location. I find it odd how this hasn't been included, and you can't even go straight to that file's location by right-clicking on the item in the queue.

Also, would it be possible to add the ability to copy the folder location of one item in the queue, to the rest of the waiting, ready-to-go exports? Without having to manually click on each item and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The link to the output file is there, but a bit hidden — twirl down the Output Module section and you’ll see a blue file path. Click this link to open the file location.

File > Scripts > Change Render Locations will let you change all the queued items in one go, or you can shift/cmd-click individual Output Modules to select multiple exports to change at once.

8. AE 17.5 Alt key functions broken - switches to camera regardless of active tool

Regardless of the tool used, holding the Alt key switches to the camera tool.

Hoping this is a mistake - it makes zooming out (z, Alt-Click) or adjusting vector bezier curves (G, Alt-click) frustrating without the shortcuts.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 8 bit warning pop up on all effects

If I click an effect in the effects control panel where the warning icon appears for '8-bit only' effects, I get the pop up attached, even on full 32bpc effects.

Seems to be a UI bug

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bug: Master Properties not displaying property name

After updating to 17.1.4 everything in Master Properties on the timeline is now displaying as the property type (i.e. "Slider" or "Checkbox") instead of the correct name.

macOS Catalina 10.15.6

update: renaming the property in Essential Graphics will rename the property on the timeline (at least temporarily). However, when duplicating the layer, the duplicate will revert to displaying the property type.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Camera GUI display does not reflect expression-driven Point of Interest

When the "Point of interest" of a camera is driven by an expression.
    Something like:
    thisComp.layer("Null 1").transform.position
    The graphical display of the camera wireframe in the interface does not reflect the value of the expression.
    It seems to be "stuck" at the Point of interests native value.

After Effects 17.6.0
    MacOS 10.14.6

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bring back the unified camera tool

Why did you get rid of it in the first place??? We were used to it. It worked!

You added all these nifty camera tools, like orbit around cursor or scene. Which would be fine. Except I want to change something and now it doesn't work the way I'm used to. Like using my center mouse button, which was super useful.

So I have to spend time looking at your documentation. Which is TERRRIBLE by the way. It's super confusing and I don't understand which is the most like the old behavior.

Stop breaking things we're used to even if…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Shift + a number key doesn't add a numbered comp marker

Well, that shortcut does add numbered markers for numbers 4 through 0, but not numbers 1,2 or 3.
    I'm assuming it's a small bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Alt + Click "Show snapshot" flashes the differences mode

Just discovered if I alt + click on the "Show snapshot" eye icon in the composition panel, my last snapshot flashes in the viewer with a difference mode applied. I believe the normal behavior should display the last snapshot and hold on the difference mode.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Set Work Area from Selection

I would like to set the Work Area to the In- and Outpoints of the current selection.
    That would be a huge timesaver.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. revert keyboard shortcuts for working with masks

Selection tool used to select all mask points with alt and add point with shift-alt, now you have to use the pen tool. why?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this request.

Please update to the latest version of After Effects. As of today, 11 January 2021, the current public version is 17.5.1.

The October 2020 release of After Effects, version 17.5, did change the behavior of using the Option (macOS) or Alt (Windows) key to dynamically change the behavior of different tools. This was done to accommodate the improved 3D camera tools. In After Effects 17.5, when there are 3D layers present, holding Option/Alt while using any tool would switch to the Universal Camera Tool.

This behavior can be disabled via a new option: Preferences > 3D > “Activate Option/Alt – Left/Middle/Right mouse click for camera navigation”. This is on by default, and disabling this will restore the previous behavior of tools when there are 3D layers in your comp.

That said, the feedback we heard was that this new behavior in After Effects 17.5…

17. COMP MARKERS 1-3 not working (no more jump to numbered comp marker)

For some reason AE won't allow me to drop a numbered composition marker (shift+1) for the numbers 1-3. Also I can no longer use the numbered composition markers as shortcuts by pressing the number on my keyboard to "jump" to that marker. Is this a bug in the new AE?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Master-Propertys don´t take their user-names since Update.

I.E. the Master-Property is now named "Checkbox" and not "my Propertys Name".

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. "Look At All Layers" can't be assigned to shortcut

For some reason you can't assign a shortcut to the "Look At All Layers" command in the "View" menu. Even though the Keyboard Shortcuts editor might have a shortcut saved and listed, it has no effect when pressing the shortcut later on.

I can see that AE also doesn't list the shortcut next to the command in the actual menu, so for some reason the connection must be broken.

This is a real nuisance, because this command is crucial for quickly navigating the 3D space such as in Blender or Cinema4D.

Apparently this is a well-known bug. Could this be…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fix expression editing within graph view

In both AE 17.0.0 and 17.0.2, I did not test it in 17.0.1. Using Win10 with a Ryzen 3700x and a GTX 1060 6gb

When editing or writing expressions while in the graph view mode, it is hit or miss whether or not the new code will be commited.

It was suggested by another user to use the 'enter' key on the numpad to commit changes, but this didn't work every time either, so it doesn't solve the problem.

When editing expressions in the normal layer view everything works and saves/updates as it should. You just type out the code…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1

After Effects

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base