After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Feature request: The expression pickwhip should be able to 'auto-untwirl' collapsed groups.

I'm often blasted by one of those glaring-yellow 'YOU BROKE IT' warnings just because I'd forgotten to untwirl a property group before writing an expression: I'll click-drag the pickwhip to the target property, unclick to untwirl it, terminate my expression with an equals sign in the process, and thus precipitate the end of the world.

On the other hand, whenever I want to pickwhip a property that's been scrolled offscreen, I only need to momentarily hover the pickwhip over one end of the panel before it 'takes the hint' and auto-scrolls for me.

It'd be great if the pickwhip could…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add colors to whole tabs in the Timeline panel

I would like to be able to assign different colors to tabs in the timeline panel, where you switch between comps. This would be separate from the square label group color icon, and used to easily keep track of for example Export comps, work comps etc.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. MacBook Pro with touch bar: I only need a slider for the selected property avoiding to go in the effort panel and drag slider/rotate knob.

MacBook Pro with touch bar: I only need a slider for the selected property avoiding to go in the effects panel and drag slider/rotate knobs.
    100% CUSTOMERS SATISFATION!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Composition window to be scaled by any % amount

Right now it is limited to 800% in 4K composition.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Search for code in expressions? Find and replace?

I have comps with 30-50 layers - many of them shape layers, with expressions on the shape attributes throughout the entire comp. The shapes are controlled by control sliders on a control layer (sliders, point controls, etc), and the controls have expressions as well. I use consistent variable names across all these layers/expressions. Rigging up something complicated in AE gets out of control pretty fast as there's lots of code duplication because all expressions are limited to local scope of the layer property they reside on. That's a whole separate can 'o worms and I'm not trying to open that…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Command + Space Bar Zoom

Would be nice to have AE act the same as PS & AI with the "Command + Space Bar" zooming in & out in composition.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Problem with AE CC 2018 and Motionland Big pack of Elements

I am having a problem with After Effects CC 2018, and I'm wondering if anyone can help?

I am having trouble using the Motionland Big Pack of Elements - a collection of icons, titles etc for after effects. Some of the elements of the pack work fine, but with some titles and icons I am finding that the composition will not play, and I get the following error message:

"After Effects error: TDL: outline contains triangles that are too small to be rendered. Check for very thin triangles in original artwork. (88 :: 3)"

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Escape button in keyboard shortcuts editor

Currently (in Ae version 15.1.0) it is impossible to assign a hotkey combination that contains Esc button.
    There is no Escape key in left upper corner in displayed keyboard model, so you cannot drag some action to button (or button to some action).
    When you try to create a new key binding and press Esc, then this Keyboard Shortcuts window will just close.

This bug has an easy workaround: Press "ctrl + alt + ;" to open settings, then press Reveal Preferences in Explorer, then go to aeks folder and edit Custom.txt manually.

To solve this bug Adobe can add…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Fix After Effects

My After Effects and AME options went from around 50 codecs that I need access to for both import and export to MAYBE 10?? And the ones that remain are the ones o never ever ever ever use.

What kind of decision is this?? Eliminate MODERN AND HEAVILY USED codecs like HAP? NDI?

This is ridiculous!!

Please tell me there's a fix coming... I'm very unhappy paying for what is basically a useless subscription at this point...

Please!!! A Fix?? Is it coming??

I don't care that Apple stopped supporting QuickTime... There are still new and great codecs using the…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Dockable, vertical, editable toolbar

It would be great if the toolbar could be displayed vertically like in Illustrator and Photoshop, and dockable to the sides of the AE window.
    On top of that, it would be great to be able to edit what is shown in the toolbar, also like in AI and PS.
    For example, I never use the paint tools so I could hide them, but would like the Convert Vertex tool to be always displayed without having to click and hold on the pen icon.
    Having the ability to create new toolbars with a custom selection of tools would be handy…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Crop comp tool

Working between Photoshop and After Effects, the one thing I find a bit annoying in AE is the resizing of compositions. Especially with imported psd/psb objects. It would be cool to have a crop comp tool similar to the crop tool in Photoshop.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. New Project Template Improvement

New Project Template is a great addition for getting your project off on the right track quickly. But if you've taken the time to setup a template for yourself, you've probably noticed that you routinely have to tell AFX that you don't want to "save" when you open something else.

When you start up AFX or close a project, the template loads. But then you open an existing project and you're prompted to "Save Changes?" AFX should be able to tell that this is an unchanged template and not prompt you to save.

In a production environment, I'm opening existing…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. After Effects 15.1 bug: File "(filename).aif" cannot be opened, it may be in an unsupported format. ( 86 :: 1 )

Please also see https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2476842, as this was previously submitted in the community forum.

Expected Result: Users should be able to use AIFF files in After Effects. It is an industry standard file format.

Experienced Issue: The current version of After Effects will not allow them to be used. After updating to 15.10, After Effects stopped recognizing .aif files.

Error message when opening any project with .aif files in them: After Effects error: File "(filename).aif" cannot be opened, it may be in an unsupported format. ( 86 :: 1 )

-This happens on multiple machines tested.
    -Uninstall/reinstall does not resolve. …

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. change color of shape paths

can't see the path while working on blue shapes

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Turn the Timeline into a Dopsheet

I'm not a huge fan of using the timeline in such intensive way as it is right now as it can get so cluttered with all the twirled open settings. I would rather prefer having dedicated panels for all the individual tasks.

So that we would have a transform panel(much like the transform effect) for altering so settings, a panel for adjusting and animating shape layers/masks, a text panel to add and adjust all those text effects, .....
    As soon as those settings are altered the parameter becomes exposed in the timeline and there you could just adjust the timing…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Simple Workspace

I think it would be very cool if you could have a option when you are installing After Effects to have ether a Simple or Classic workspace. This feature could be implemented to other CC apps.

The Simple workspace would be made simpler. This would mean having rounded edges like how Apple made Grage Band , less things on workspace making it more simpler, and having cool new inlarged pannels. An example would be like the Character Animator Control Pannel, as it has sliders and triggers. I really like this design and I hope it would be implemented.

The Classic…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support for 180° Stereoscopic viewing in Adobe Immersive Environment

Adobe Immersive Environment only supports 360° for Monoscopic and the two Stereoscopic modes of viewing currently. As someone who works with a lot of stereo 180° video, this is disappointing.

I have to convert to 360° over under to view my footage, and doing this in the software slows things down quite a bit.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Missing Beziers on shape layer vector object position property in value graph

Can't adjust curves on shape layer vector objects position property in value graph because they are missing the bezier handles

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. problem went i import a illustrator file to after effects

the problem is when importing an .ai file to after effects this is not shown correctly, I get text or black screen, just open me .eps but I can not do anything, i try reinstalling after effects and illustrator and nothing , I have the updated drivers and try creating a new file after reinstalling Illustrator but it only showed me everything in black even though text was no longer available, someone knows how to solve this error, thanks

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Show the keyframe duration in the Timeline

This small feature was suggested by sandervandijk:

http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/keyframes#keyframe-duration

Adding this small eye candy of darkening the area behind the keyframe would make the timeline a lot easier to read for me as it looks a lot more structured.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base