After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Global styles.

Possibility to define object styles, which could be applied to many layers. Editable in separate palette make changes in all layers.

Similar to InDesign Object style. Should be possible to be driven with expressions.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix the problem about the windows disappearing from screen

If I connect with my laptop to an external screen and start working in after effects I cannot detach the screen without all my windows are moving to nirvana and there is absolutely no chance to get them back and rearrange them since all required controls are somewhere out of my screen. To fix this I have to kill all my personal menu settings. That bug exists since 2008!!! So please!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Let us view the timeline while viewing the Graph editor

It is very tedious to switch between the graph editor and the timeline over and over again.

By changing this it would be possible to easily change the keyframes position, moving layers and adjusting the velocity of the keyframes in the same workspace.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Close Tabs To The Right

Borrow the wonderful little Close Tabs To The Right option from Chrome (and add a "To The Left" option) and add it to the Timeline Panel menu.

When working with deeply nested comps, it would be really handy to close a bunch of comps to the right (or left) of the currently open comp. Close Other Timeline Panels isn't always the best option to clear out the tabs you want shut.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Workspace remembers which columns are visible in the Timeline

I wish custom workspaces would save/load which columns are visible in the Timeline panel

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. vertically zoom on waveform

Sometimes when using high-bass songs the audio waveform just turns into a block, so to vertically zoom on it will show further details on the waveform in order to see different beats.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for submitting this feature request.

In After Effects, you can vertically zoom the waveform by placing the mouse cursor underneath the waveform (the cursor icon will change to a vertical double-arrow), and then clicking and dragging.

Does this meet your need, or do you want different functionality in After Effects. If so, please elaborate.

7. Smart Sort By Name

The Project panel sort by name could be smarter. If you have your comps numbered sequentially and then add a letter to the end (say, a new shot 2B gets added between shots 2 and 3), shot 2B sorts below everything. Attached screen shot helps show what I mean.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Could you make the timeline track height adjustable?

Could you make the timeline track height adjustable?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Save changes to this workspace

Please change order of the "Reset to Saved Layout", "Save Changes to this workspace" and "Save as new workspace"

or

Add an "Are you sure you want to change the workspace? Yes - No"

I click 4 to 5 times a week the wrong button (save changes) and save my workspace with wrong positions and windows.

Very very very frustrating.

Thank you.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Jump custom number of frames on the timeline

Ability to go forward/back a settable number of frames (like 7 or 24) using a non-existing combination (like Cmd+Shift + PgUp/Down on Mac and Ctrl+Shift + PgUp/Down on PC).
    The number of frames could be set in the Keyboard Shortcuts panel.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Editing multiple master properties

When I have multiple master comps of the same kind in a composition, they all have the same master properties. But I can't copy and paste keyframes between them, like I can with other properties.

Workflow when editing the same master property on multiple layers should also work like normal properties.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I would like to be able to open folder in separate panels, similar to having multiple bins open in Premiere.

I would like to be able to open folder in separate panels, similar to having multiple bins open in Premiere.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. AE "none" comps in Timeline

it seems to be a bug that i can see about 25-30 comps by the name of "none" which doesn't even exist in the project panel but still every time i close the comps, it reappears twice in a day.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow Scaling Interface Elements for Ease of Use/Accessibility

It is difficult to manipulate certain elements in Adobe Programs due to their small size.

A particular hindrance I have experienced in After Effects is trying to drag to extend a clipped section while there is a marker on that layer near where I am clicking. When I click and drag, AfterEffects will always assume that I am trying to move a marker - even if I have locked the markers on that layer.

I think that if I could make each of the rows to a height I specify, it would be able to manipulate the clip extension without…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Automatically select the property when opening it

This particularly applies to having the graph editor open

When I press S/T/P/R to open a property, it doesn't show in the graph editor. I need to manually select that property in order to get the graph to show. It would be good if this happened automatically, or provide a preference - obviously if I open a property, then there's a really good chance that I want to see its graph straight away

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. mask feather path to be separated from mask path

feather must beanimatable over time as well as main mask math
    as well as mask mast have it's own position controls for offset rotation skew etc to be able to link it to nulls and meanwhile make adjustments to the mask path!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Switching comp should switch the Master comp drop down in Essential Graphics panel

When you work in the Essential Graphics panel and start to connect attributes from different comps and jumping back and forth between comps, the Master comp you select from the drop down in Essential Graphics panel should update to the comp you are currently viewing.

If you want to freeze the panel to add attributes to a Essential Graphics Master comp that you are currently not viewing add the little lock icon like we have in the comp-viewer, effects panel.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Auto show a layer in timeline, when it's selected in the stage

It would be nice to show a layer in the timeline once you click it in the stage, so you wouldn't need to either scrub through the layers or press a property to get focus on that layer.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Show Frame Rate in Project window by default

I have been an After Effects freelancer for 20 years. Not a week goes by where I do not see an error caused by mixed framerates.
    Please, Please PLEASE show frame rate by default in the UI project window.
    I think some people think the software will auto posterise to the right frame rate, er, no. Illustrator files take the App Import preference, not the project frame rate, people make comps from footage not realising the frame rate is diferent.
    It is also evident most people don't know you can show it at all!
    It would REALLY help

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. A keyboard key for selecting vertices during masking, apart from LMB.

I've just been masking for 5 hours and my mouse hand is killing me. Not the palm or the wrist but fingers, from constantly pressing the LMB to select vertices, hold it for dragging etc. A couple of hours of constant pressing like that wears your hand out.
    So an idea came to my mind, it would be nice if during masking I could press a keyboard key to act in place of the LMB, ie. the 1 key. So now I just hover the cursor above a vertex, press and hold 1, move the vertex to a new position,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base