After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the problem about the windows disappearing from screen

If I connect with my laptop to an external screen and start working in after effects I cannot detach the screen without all my windows are moving to nirvana and there is absolutely no chance to get them back and rearrange them since all required controls are somewhere out of my screen. To fix this I have to kill all my personal menu settings. That bug exists since 2008!!! So please!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Lock a Layer in the Composition Viewer, but not the Timeline

Currently, adjustment layers that cover the whole screen must be locked in order to access on layers below them when using the Viewer. This is sometimes frustrating to continually lock/unlock adjustment layers to make adjustments to their effects/properties.

If a layer could be locked in the Viewer only, it would allow much faster editing of adjustment layers while also maintaining accessibility for all other layer below them.

This could also serve as a way to lock footage layers which the user wants to always remain in place, preventing accidental position shifts when dragging other items in the Viewer.

Suggested implementation:…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix the workspace off screen monitor issue with after Effects.

Every time I switch between my home and office monitor I have to delete my preferences file to fix the workspace as it is way off screen.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Missing math function in expression language menu

Math.asin(value) seems to be missing from the list. It still works just fine as a function, no errors or anything, but I figured with acos and atan still present that asin should also have been listed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. A separate transform property for each mask

Just additionaly to what we have, a transform property for every mask. This way if I have an animated mask, I'll be able to move, rotate or scale it without messing up the animation. Or we could finally track our masks to an object instead of the Mask tracking **** that we have now. How can anyone work with a mask if it has a keyframe at every frame???

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. please add GPU and CPU both work at a time for preview render specially and final render time . not after preview Render create work GPu.

please add GPU and CPU both work at a time for preview render specially and final render time . not after preview Render create work GPu.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this request.

Can you please elaborate on what behavior you’d like to see changed in After Effects?

After Effects uses a mix of CPU and GPU rendering, when the Project is set to use Mercury GPU acceleration (Project Settings > Video Rendering & Effects). Use of the GPU is dependent on whether or not your composition uses GPU-accelerated features of After Effects, such as GPU-accelerated effects, layer motion blur, or R3D raw debayering. Features that are not GPU-accelerated are rendered using the CPU, for both rendering previews and for export renders.

With that understanding, what would you like to see changed in After Effects?

7. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fix Precomps in AE2019

Precomps don't act as they used to. They're broken. Expressions don't carry as they should. I set up twenty text layers to count up with expressions at different rates and after precomping this build, nothing would count, they just looked stuck.

Furthermore, assets precomped won't stay together. Screenshot below shows what AE2019 is doing. The precomped piece can move on the left, however the grouped graphic on the right remains and won't follow as it should. This makes zero sense. I think this is a bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report.

We need more information to be able to investigate this problem. Can you provide us with a project file (.aep) that demonstrates the issue?

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

9. Pin Timeline Tabs

I would love to be able to Pin/Lock a composition tab so no matter how many tabs are in my timeline window, I can easily switch to my main comp because it will be pinned to the far left of that panel - the same way you can pin tabs in web browsers...

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Effects and Presets Hotkey

I would love the ability to be able to type a quick hotkey and search to dial up any effect or preset that I have saved. Similar to Shift C in C4D or FX Console by Video Copilot. Adding a hotkey to bring up a context menu isn't that hard right?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Import rules for files so that AE projects stay tidy and manageable

Every time I import a file it will either go to the root project directory or whichever folder I have selected. It would be great if you could create bins for specific media - jpgs, video, vectors, music, SFX etc - so that files of that sort would go into these bins automatically. Too much time is spent cleaning projects up so that things can be found.

Perhaps a 'virtual' bin with 'Recent Imports' from that session could be useful, that would link to the new files (like a shortcut file in explorer) so that you could see what was…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fluid Interface Improvements

It's 2018 and everyone by this point is used to fluid smartphone interfaces that run at 30-60FPS and yet After Effects (and most of the adobe suite) can't scroll through layers at anything about 10 FPS to save it's life.

Try to scroll through a comp with 100+ layers and watch as the FPS of the panel drops to about 3FPS. I'm not sure why this is such a hard problem to fix.

The "Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, And Footage Panels" checkbox doesn't seem to help at all and sometimes even makes the problem work.

Other fluidity improvements:
    - It…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Diagonal Guides

It would be amazing to have a native way to make diagonal guides in the Composition Window. Perhaps if you click the corner of the Ruler and then have a way to enter/edit specific rotation angles?

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Render Items all greyed out

Since the install op 2019, both 2018 and 2019 no longer hilight items to be rendered in the Queue. All is dull and grey...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. "Scale-Behind" tool

Sometimes I want to adjust the fill of a layer without adjusting the mask I've drawn. Move Behind tool works well, but I'd love a Scale Behind tool.

Ultimately, I'd love it if masks worked like Layer Masks in PS. The ability to link or unlink transforms.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. レイヤーコントロールの表示・非表示の切り替えを環境設定にしてほしい。

レイヤーコントロールの表示のON/OFFを固定にしたい。
    新しいコンポジションができる度にOFFになってしまいます。たくさんのコンポジションを作る際にいちいちON/OFFを切り替えるのはとても無駄な労力です。CSの時代はONが固定でしたよね?昔の方が使いやすかったです。せめて表示に変えたら、プロジェクト単位は固定にしてほしいです。

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Single audio track

Have a separate single audio track at the bottom of the timeline, where th audio (i.e vo) can be adjusted. I believe this can be quite helpful for the motion graphics workflow.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Essential graphics panel - Faster workflows through smarter property naming, copy/pasting properties and twirl down/folder organization

Right now when you add in a property from an expression control like a slider, it just shows up as "Slider" in the panel even if you've named the effect. It would save me a ton of time if you just took the name of the effect instead of just giving it a generic title like "Checkbox" or "Slider". I keep having to rename things in the EG panel that I've already taken the time to name properly in my project.

If you won't do that, please at very least add the ability to quickly tab between the names of…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bug - Stroke Width

If you enter text into the stroke width in the toolbar and hit enter, the text box stays selected though the UI no longer shows it that way. If you then hit 0 to preview, you'll make your stroke 0 and have no idea why they're gone or why nothing is previewing. Please fix.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Adobe 21 Century vs. Footage (none) Window

Dear Adobe, may we remove "Footage (none)" Window if there is no purpose for it if, uhm, well, no footage is there?
    For the sake of good ole housekeeping or wait unless we hit 22nd century?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base