After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Toggle to switch between using property index or property name as default when pickwhipping

When pickwhipping an effect while holding Alt/Option, After Effects refers to the property by index, eg. ("Slider Control")(1), instead of by property name, eg. ("Slider Control")("Slider").

I often use this, as I deal with clients in multiple languages, and the property index reference is more robust in this case. I would appreciate a toggle in Preferences to switch this behaviour so that using property index is the default for pickwhipping (no modifier keys needed), and property name is used when holding Alt/Option.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. let me change the language easily

I want to change the language easily. Even I've done to change it, It go back to first option what I don't want after new updating. It makes me annoying

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Dropdown Menu Control Effect" disappearing from the Essential Graphic Window

BUG:

When I edit a property of a "Dropdown Menu Control Effect" (Adding or removing a Name), it disappears from the Essential Graphic Window, I have to drop it back again and re-input the name it was given. (same issue for AE 2021 and AE Beta)

If we can fix this it would be great. With Love

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Center anchor point for each group transform in a shape layer

There is no automatic way to center an anchor point for each transform group inside a shape layer. I need to select each group using "Y" (Pan Behind) and move it's anchor to the center of each shape group, because After effects put all. of then in the center of the layer (the group of all shape layers groups inside a shape layer. So, it's time to have this option and a shortcut to do it all in a row right?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Cant make the Layer switches pane smaller if i use the german version of after effects

If you use the german language there is a huge empty space, which can not be close, when the parenting switches are draged to the left.
    This causes that the useable timeline space is much smaller in the german version, than in the english version.

The example picture shows the settings for the minimal widht for the english and german version. It shows that the empty space in the german version (marked red) is completly useless and i think everybody would enjoy it, if there would be a way to get rid of it.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please bring back some way of profiling composition performance.

I love the new multi-frame render, but on the way, the old data After Effects showed, where you could see on one frame, the heaviest effects and processes so you could optimize is gone. If you could bring it back, or better yet, have a way to assess performance of effects and layers in a visual way, that would be amazing. I mean this data:

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. User Preset Bug - 3rd Party Effect not saving settings unless paired with another effect

Interesting bug:

When trying to save a preset for the Video Copilot 3rd party plugin "Saber" (yes, I know, I'm basic), I can save easily using the "Create new animation preset" under the effects & presets box, but when I do, none of my settings are actually saved.

HOWEVER, I found a workaround. If I also have another effect, say "Levels" to make my animation preset include two effects, not just the one 3rd party effect, then it DOES save the actual parameters for both effects.

And yes, trying to save just "Levels" by itself also saves the parameters.

Thanks,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Have certain windows like project as sidebar. Icons to toggle windows on and off

Instead of having the project window taking up space or other windows, have a icon that is clicked so the window can be toggled. It could even just be the project and effects window as an icon

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. After Effects 17.5 Separate 3D Gizmo and the Bounding Box in the 'Handles' option for 'View Options'

We often use Cyclops in order to create behind the scenes breakdowns of our shots. However with the new 3D Gizmo, it's not possible to show bounding boxes of different layers without also having a giant brightly colored 3D Gizmo on every layer as well.

Behind the Scenes footage is a backbone of our studio workflow, so it's a bummer that we won't be able to update and utilize the 3D tools while this is a thing.

At the very least maybe have options for Gizmo size/opacity, something to make it less in your face.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a 'Go To File' button after each export in the Render Queue

We need a pretty simple, and seemingly very obvious addition to the render queue:

After each completed export in the render queue, please add a button that can take you immediately to the rendered file's location. I find it odd how this hasn't been included, and you can't even go straight to that file's location by right-clicking on the item in the queue.

Also, would it be possible to add the ability to copy the folder location of one item in the queue, to the rest of the waiting, ready-to-go exports? Without having to manually click on each item and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. better zoom for large comps

Please increase the internal zoom box value from currently 30000 to something much bigger.

Reason: I work in 12k and larger comps, and the max zoom value is limited to 200%, which is insufficient for detail work. I need to be able to zoom to 400% and 800% in order to be precise.

please add this to the todo wishlist.

related post from 7 (seven!) years ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/AfterEffects/comments/1v15kv/cant_zoom_in_if_the_comp_is_too_big/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. (BUG) Preview Window only works intermittently

AE '22 -- Mac OS Catalina
    Preview on external monitor only works intermittently.
    Have enabled Mercury Transmit and chosen external monitor for preview -- but it dissappears occasionally, revealing the desktop wallpaper. This does not happen in Premiere Pro (in fact toggling back and forth to Premiere will sometimes reactivate preview in AE.) It continues to happen even when I am careful not to have the AE UI overlap onto the external monitor.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Nicer Windows 10 system-toolbar frame

Can we get same top frame of window system toolbar as Photoshop have? In one line and with customizable colors?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. After effects however. After effects does not give you the option for the detail of all the plugins used in the project. Let's add this func

After effects, however. After effects does not give you the option for the detail of all the plugins used in the project. Let's add this functionality

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. BRING BACK THE TIMELINE BUTTON!!!

When working with multiple windows, the timeline button is essential. Why Adobe decides to remove it without any workaround. What improvement?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix this! After effects 2021 can no longer read image sequences from network drives

in the latest AE 2021 when trying to read image sequences from a network drive I get this error. This works fine in AE 2020, or if I copy the same sequence to a local drive. Must be a bug, so I hope Adobe can fix this or provide a solution.

After Effects error: Can’t import as a sequence. Found no matches for the selected file name.

( 39 :: 44 )

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/after-effects-error-can-t-import-as-a-sequence-found-no-matches-for-the-selected-file-name/m-p/10986538#M106354

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. A way to customize appearance

I enjoy working with animation, it's fun to make things move and bring characters and texts to life and light places that without the animation would be dark...

But lately, I've been experiencing some issues due to high myopia and the font size and dark appearance of After Effects. I think it would be great if there was an easy and clear way to change the UI of the software... Although I talked to support and they were very helpful to me, it is only possible to make font size changes partially of the software, and elsewhere the font remains…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 3D preferences keep resetting after restarting application

Every time I go to preferences to turn off 3D Camera Navigation Gizmos the checkbox is checked again the next time I restart After Effects. I'd rather keep the composition markers shortcuts on as my default. Changing my keyboard layout also does nothing as preferences seems to override keyboard layouts.

AE Version 18.2.0 (Build 37)
    Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2
    Intel Xeon X5670 Dual 2.93GHz Processors
    128GB RAM
    NVIDIA GTX Titan X 12GB

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting this bug. I’m not experiencing this problem on my machine, so I’d like to explore this further with you. Can you please tell me:

What languages are your OS and After Effects are running in?

I’d like you to try resetting the preferences, and if that doesn’t solve the problem, I’d like to get copies of the preferences files in the before/after states. Please follow these instructions:

1. In After Effects, open Preferences > General. Click the Reveal Preferences in Explorer button at the bottom. This will open the folder where the preferences files are.
    2. Quit After Effects.
    3. In the preferences folder, navigate up one level. This will be the Adobe/After Effects folder and you’ll see folders for each release of After Effects that you’ve used on this machine (18.0, 18.1, 18.2, etc.). Move (don’t copy, just move) the 18.2 folder to your desktop…

20. Hide "Frame Render Time" in Timeline panel

Please allow us to hide the "Frame Render Time" at the bottom of the Timeline panel.

It is a nice feature, but users should be allowed to hide it if they don't want extra information on their interface.

This could be a menu option on the Timeline tab (similar to where "Live Update" and "Show Cache Indicators" are located), or in the application preferences.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base