After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make 'select keyframe label group' only twirl down the keyframes of that label

Right now, when I set a layer color to the 'scale' property on a bunch of layers and then use 'select keyframe label group', it will also twirl open all the other Transform properties on those layers. It would be much more useful if it opened only the 'scale' property (or wherever the labeled keyframes are located), because right now this makes the interface messy and hard to operate because of the large amount of properties that are shown.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ligatures and copy/paste

Unfortunately, if you activate the ligatures in a text field and copy this text into another text field, the ligatures are deactivated. Some special formatting of the letters is lost in the process.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove the new Mocha popup window and sound when it's loading.

This "improvement" is annoying beyond belief, isn't needed, isn't wanted, and should be disabled immediately.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Image import not fit for purpose

I'd like to replace the embarrassing image import code (presumably knocked together by an intern in 1998?) with something that has functional parity with the rest of the Adobe CC apps. Why should a JPG that opens without issue in Photoshop/Illustrator etc. cause After Effects to soil itself? Why can AE still not deal with CMYK bitmaps? Why does AE still not give you actual useable info on which images were not imported, rather than having to dismiss 2, sometimes 3 individual error messages for each image and then having to manually sift through what did import and try to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Drag-n-drop layer into the layer selection field

I think it's really necessary to have an ability to simply drag-n-drop a layer from the timeline into the layer selection field instead of scrolling through the endless dropdown lists. And not just that. A double-click (or ctrl-click) could temporarily turn the field into a text input field to enter the layer number as well.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Problems using Anchor Point tool on 3D layers with the new Gizmos.

You used to be able to snap the anchor point to layers when using the Anchor Point tool (y) and pressing Shift or activating the snapping checkbox, now it doesn't work with the new gizmos.

Also... it's pretty useless defaulting to the same type of gizmo used for the SELECTION TOOL and not having any way to change it when you CAN'T rotate or scale an anchor point. Now you have to go to the select tool, select the POSITION gizmo and then come back to the Anchor Point tool again if you want to move an anchor point in…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Set master properties panel to the comp I'm currently working.

Every time I add some property to the master properties' for the firtst time, it works as intended. But when I go to another comp, and add a new property to the master property panel it adds it to the last comp's one, rendering it useless and also looks like a bug.

I'd like the essential's panel to be always linked to the current comp I'm working on.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Quickly cycle through pulldown menus.

I mean.. its so obvious and still not implemented. Come on Adobe!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Remove the feature with unique display backlight level for AE.

Remove that feature with ounique display backlight level for AE. My screen is blinking everytime I start AE. It is extremely annoying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Select and label timeline elements to move them together in time

I spend too much time hunting and pecking for which timeline elements are associated with corresponding movement in the viewport. Shifting layers, in/out points, and keyframes in time often takes multiple selection passes. And there's no way to store that selection, so they each have to be selected every time they need to be adjusted (and in/out points can't even be selected so they all need to be done separately... every time!).

Selectable in/out points and labels/groups for ALL timeline elements--any combination of keyframes, markers, in/out points, and layers--would strengthen the visual connection between the timeline and the viewport AND…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Stop Autosolve in Camera Tracker

Camera Tracking could be much faster, when it does not start solving after every track point that is deleted.
    A way to manually start solving after having deleted all unwanted track points would be very convenient.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I have been using After Effects for 10 years. Undeniably a great product but good lord, please, for the love of anything you care about deve

I have been using After Effects for 10 years. Undeniably a great product but good lord, please, for the love of anything you care about developers of Adobe, do something about the errors. They get better or worse with every update. And I get it, a lot is going in the backend. But if you are going to continuously cause my project to crash, please give me some context. 'After effects error: zero denominator converting ratio denominators (17::18)', 'could not parse mask shape on clipboard' and many other obscure message errors that come up are not helpful. Instead of me…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow us to check work area duration

Just like Marking In and Out in premiere gives you a duration on the Program monitor in Premiere Pro, can you make adjustments within After Effects that allows to view the duration marked between Beginning and End?
    Currently, users have to estimate the duration basis calculations on the Info Panel. This is extremely difficult to do if you work in Broadcast and need specific layers output for specific durations.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Play a sound when a render is going to overwrite from the render queue

It would be great to add an audio ping when a render is going to overwrite another render - there's been a number of times when I've had a set of renders queued up and I thought I'd started the queue, but it was waiting for a response to confirm I wanted to overwrite the files and I didn't notice the dialog box.

An audio notification would help avoid this situation.

To be clear, I'm referring to the second 'do you want to overwrite' box, the one that appears when you press render in the RQ.

Cheers!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I lost faith in AE, dont think of your users as beta testers!

Im really loosing faith in After Effects, even on official releases there are just too many bugs. Rendering via Media Encoder is no longer possible, it is just doing random things like it renders to 50% and then the render speed drops down to like 1%. Multiframe rendering was a cool idea until I saw how it works, maybe it is faster, but how can it feel slower because of the lags and bugs at the same time?

I dont have time to constantly report bugs to you! Do you realize some people works with your software and maybe their…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to export & import keyboard shortcuts easily.

Please provide the ability to export & import Keyboard Shortcuts. I recently upgraded my computer, but can't bring my shortcuts along with me and have to reprogram them all. I know there is a work around for PC where you can find the shortcuts.txt file buried in the hard drive, but as far as I can find there is no way to do it for Mac. Thank you.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Pick whip doesn't work at all - 22.5.0

Just upgraded to a new laptop, Windows 11 and Afx 22.50 and the global pickwhip between layers just plain doesn't work. Have tried with mouse, wacom and track pad so it's software, not pointing device.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Option to switch the direction of the timeline window

I'd like to be able to have the option to switch the running direction of the timeline window from left-to-right to top-to-bottom (and back again). This will help with screen real-estate when working with portrait format animations.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow using the tab key in the Effect Controls dialog box to include the selection of pop-up menus in addition to text fields.

I would love to be using the tab key in the Effect Controls dialog box to include pop-up menus in the same way it does in the Composition Settings dialog box, including being able to use up arrow, down arrow, and spacebar to interact with the selected pop-up menu.

It would also be helpful to be able to start the tab key interaction with text fields (and pop-up menus) with a modified tab keyboard shortcut. Currently pressing tab when the Effect Controls panel is active brings up the Mini-Flow Chart.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Copy + Paste Text Styles

When working with many text layers, you often want to update all of them at once. Text style expressions are complicated, and manually updating each property for many layers is tedious.

Would be great to have "Edit > Paste Text Styles". Similar to "Paste Attributes..." in Premiere.

Workflow:
    Copy a Text Layer (CTRL+C), select multiple target Text Layers, and hit Paste Text Styles to apply the formatting to all of them.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base