After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

How can we improve After Effects?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Label Colors for Keyframes

Allow users to use the same label colors but for keyframes similar to markers. This would definitely be helpful for character animation to help organize different loops or cycles. Simply add a list to the context menu when right clicking on selected keyframes.

382 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

21 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expression Console

Is there any way we can get a Chrome-like console for expressions? After a certain point, with a complex expression it becomes really hard to test for bugs as you have to basically run the same code on a text layer or some other property and rewrite the code just to get some sort of output for variables. Being able to have a console would be excellent (especially to inspect objects), but a great stopgap would be the ability to post a value to the info palette, like we can with scripting.

Expressions were already important, and with Master Properties…

75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Open pre-comps as Folders / Groups in the timeline

Folders and groups are the same concept—as the already existing "Pre-comp". The thought behind the "Pre-comp" is to “group” a set of layers. Rather than reinventing the wheel and making After Effects more complicated with added new features like groups and folders, we can improve the functionality of the "Pre-comp".

Here is a demonstration of how that would work: https://vimeo.com/137312858

Suggested Shortcuts:

/ = Split Timeline to show pre-comp. Only works when comps are selected.

282 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. “option” + drag to duplicate keyframes and layers

In a lot of Adobe programs, you can hold "option" (on mac) and drag a shape or layer to duplicate it. Except for AE, this is however a very fast and interactive way to duplicate something that could even be applied to effects, keyframes, etc.

Here is a demo video of how this would work: https://vimeo.com/137401276

251 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Workspace Import/Export/Sync Options

Allow workspaces to be easily imported/exported/synced without the need to manually copy/paste workspace.xml files from the preferences folder every time a new machine or install is used.

143 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make Paragraph panel to not open when working with text layers if it closed

I use custom script to work with paragraphs, and when i working with text layers Paragraph panel ALWAYS opens even if it undocked and closed. If it can't be hidden why it's have closed button then? And why custom workspace don't save that information (hidden Paragraph panel)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. smooth zooming via mouse

Instead of jumping in intervals when zooming, I'd very much prefer a smooth means of zooming to go along with the smooth panning we have. Its one of the experience pleasantries I have with other apps and wish it were in AE as well.

Its nice for when dealing with details. Roto, checking key edges, etc.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Assignable Keyboard shortcuts CC BB DD etc...

Love UU. Love EE. Quick easy and no playing twister with your keyboard. What's easier than double tapping a key. Why not make double tapping assignable? Triple tapping? Too easy and logical to ignore.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Edit/finishing timeline within After Effects.

I've use AE as a finishing tool for about 10 years and have finished thousands of commercials within in it with clients in the room. It has the potential to be a world class finishing system up there with Flame/Smoke/Nuke Studio. All it needs is an option for a new non-linear timeline much like what is found in Premiere and that plays back from disk as I mentioned here https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/35022373-disk-playback-instead-of-ram I see this as an addition to the layered timeline, not to replace it. It wouldn't need a ton of edit features just so long as we can drop traditional…

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. When throwing errors in expressions show the Error message on Windows properly

Throwing Errors is very helpful when debugging expressions (see https://twitter.com/mamoworld/status/1101168951185289217 )
    However, currently on Windows the thrown error message is not shown in the status bar. On Mac this already works nicely.

The reason seems to be some subtle differences of how exactly the banner messages are shown on Mac/Win (see https://twitter.com/1ResCreation/status/1117325915007016962)

Please make Win behave the same as Mac for this and show the message directly in the status bar.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Option for new expression editor to retain size of window / box

The new expression editor is… probably great, once I get used to it. But pleeeaaase consider re-enabling the old behaviour where the size of the editor box remained the same when in both edit and view mode. It is driving me absolutely nuts that AE keeps reverting it. I like to drag out extra space below my last line for clarity. With the new editor, code in edit mode takes up more screen space than the same code in view mode, so a long last line ends up off the bottom and I have to scroll down to see it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Auto-Save while AE not in focus

When multitasking & allowing AE to render in the BG, if you have a relatively short auto-save period, it will wait until the application regains focus to do the auto-save...This immediately introduces at least 30 seconds of wait time into switching back to AE, and often makes the computer "chug" or freeze for a few seconds as well.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Scroll Past End - Vertical & Horizontal

Allow users to scroll past the end of the timeline - vertically. Right now you can only scroll as far as the last layer but if a timeline window is huge its a pain to only look at the bottom of the timeline to adjust your last layers.

Also, allow users to scroll past the beginning and end of the timeline - horizontally. Use negative timecode or different colors to indicate the beginning and end. Especially with character animation, it would be immensely helpful to slide layers past the beginning of the timeline, say 00:00:00:00, but still be able to…

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add a Scroll bar to the VR Comp Editor

When you have multiple takes created with VR comp it became unbearable to manage the takes, since you need to click the output buttom to make the takes conform you cannot simply click the comps on the Project Panel.

This would be easly fixed with a scroll bar on the side.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Copy plugins and scripts to a newer AfterEffects version when I update

Whenever I update my Adobe applications I would like them to look in the script and plugin folders and copy them over to the newer Aftereffects scripts and plugin folder. If you want this to a creative cloud where in as the product is syncing everything at the least sync the old plugins and the scripts to the newer Aftereffects. Even if there are places where the plugins and scripts might break but I at the least I will know and contact the developers about it.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Parent Layers in Time

The ability to have layers dynamically connect and interact with each other in the layers panel would tremendously increase productivity and save artists clicks. Specifically, the ability to lock layers in time with each other, parent layer in and out points. This would work really well in situations where you need to split a layer to get one part of it on top of the stack, but when you need to adjust it's in/out points afterward, you don't need to do it for each split that you've created.

A video example can be found here: https://vimeo.com/136890745

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Custom Fields in Project Panel

Sometimes AE Projects can get very large, with multiple pre-comps, and versions, and alternate spinoffs. Custom Fields would at least allow us to tame this slightly. Perhaps a column called "Render Comp" and we can filter to only the comps that have it checked? Maybe a field for "artist" so we can see who made each asset (assuming they filled it out). I've done massive organizing in Premiere this way and it's been incredibly helpful. Would love to do it directly in AE.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Just for fun. Or for some analytics. How about add some statistics to project?

It's very interesting sometimes to know how giant you project.
    Like in MS Word, you can see quantity of pages, lines, words, characters.
    Add entry to File menu "Project statistics", and it's shows something like:
    128 expressions,
    8192 key frames.
    ... effects
    ... texts
    ... shapes.

I interested in key frames number especially, really wanna know how much key frames in my large and old fifty MB project.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make guides and rulers snap to whole pixels.

Rulers and guides that snap to whole pixel values when being dragged into place. Additionally adding a function that can adjust these rulers and guides to specific values.
    Eg. If I want to now, I can't place a ruler exactly on 400pixels on the x axis, I can only drag the ruler to a rough guess.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. auto save during inactivity

It would be great if auto-save had to option to save when x minutes of inactivity have occurred. Setting it to save every 20 minutes or so just interrupts workflow and always seems to happen at the most annoying moment.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base