After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Update the way AE handles alphabetizing in the Project Window

Currently there is an unexpected behavior with how AE alphabetizes items in the project window. The addition of a character after numbers changes the order in a way that makes organization and renaming a challenge and sometimes a complete pain.
    Example:
    04-
    Above the dash will bring the 04- to the top. I'm told this is because numbers at the end are counted as numerals, but as soon as you add a non-number character after a number that number because a regular character. This seems to mean context plays a part in a character's value.

I would like…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Label Colors for Keyframes

Allow users to use the same label colors but for keyframes similar to markers. This would definitely be helpful for character animation to help organize different loops or cycles. Simply add a list to the context menu when right clicking on selected keyframes.

433 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Expression Console

Is there any way we can get a Chrome-like console for expressions? After a certain point, with a complex expression it becomes really hard to test for bugs as you have to basically run the same code on a text layer or some other property and rewrite the code just to get some sort of output for variables. Being able to have a console would be excellent (especially to inspect objects), but a great stopgap would be the ability to post a value to the info palette, like we can with scripting.

Expressions were already important, and with Master Properties…

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Open pre-comps as Folders / Groups in the timeline

Folders and groups are the same concept—as the already existing "Pre-comp". The thought behind the "Pre-comp" is to “group” a set of layers. Rather than reinventing the wheel and making After Effects more complicated with added new features like groups and folders, we can improve the functionality of the "Pre-comp".

Here is a demonstration of how that would work: https://vimeo.com/137312858

Suggested Shortcuts:

/ = Split Timeline to show pre-comp. Only works when comps are selected.

326 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. “option” + drag to duplicate keyframes and layers

In a lot of Adobe programs, you can hold "option" (on mac) and drag a shape or layer to duplicate it. Except for AE, this is however a very fast and interactive way to duplicate something that could even be applied to effects, keyframes, etc.

Here is a demo video of how this would work: https://vimeo.com/137401276

284 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Workspace Import/Export/Sync Options

Allow workspaces to be easily imported/exported/synced without the need to manually copy/paste workspace.xml files from the preferences folder every time a new machine or install is used.

164 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable UI scaling.

Adobe Illustrator added a UI Scaling slider that allows people to scale the UI. Adobe Photoshop has a UI font size selector, and a checkbox to scale the rest of the UI accordingly. Even though I have 20/20 vision, I use these in both programs since I use a large, high resolution monitor and my face is a few feet away from the screen. I'd love to see something like this in After Effects, as I find myself straining to find things. (A light UI instead of dark would help contrast as well, but I'll create a separate request for…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Assignable Keyboard shortcuts CC BB DD etc...

Love UU. Love EE. Quick easy and no playing twister with your keyboard. What's easier than double tapping a key. Why not make double tapping assignable? Triple tapping? Too easy and logical to ignore.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Give us 75% zoom level

This was similar requested many times.

Let's keep it easy for the beginning - not asking for

- dynamic zoom like in Illustrator
    - or finer zoom control

JUST add 75% zoom level.

50% is so small, 100% cuts of the edges. 75% would be such a pleasure to work with!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Preserve UI Layouts

One of the bigger frustrations I have with AE comes up when I open a project created by someone else, and the AE UI converts to THAT person's layout. I can think of 0 instances in which that would be of any use.

I know I can go to Window->Workspace and call my saved layout back up, but why should I have to? Please change this behavior.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Button (or Search preset) that shows properties already in Essential Graphics

While combing through the AE16.1 'Cloak-o-nut' AEP looking for magical wisdom, I wished for a list of properties already active in Essential Graphics. We need a button to show where those properties are coming from in the layers, or at least a preset in the comp Search menu. If there's already a way to do this, I haven't seen it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make Paragraph panel to not open when working with text layers if it closed

I use custom script to work with paragraphs, and when i working with text layers Paragraph panel ALWAYS opens even if it undocked and closed. If it can't be hidden why it's have closed button then? And why custom workspace don't save that information (hidden Paragraph panel)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. smooth zooming via mouse

Instead of jumping in intervals when zooming, I'd very much prefer a smooth means of zooming to go along with the smooth panning we have. Its one of the experience pleasantries I have with other apps and wish it were in AE as well.

Its nice for when dealing with details. Roto, checking key edges, etc.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow us to login to CC without forcing to quit when we switch machines

AE seems to be the only CC app that will force a user to quit the app when switching machines (and logging out of one) if you have more than 2 logins. Logging one out makes sense. But why do we are we forced to quit and save in AE. This doesn't happen in PS or AI. I have a work machine, a laptop and a home machine. So 2-3 times a day I spend several minutes, quitting, saving (large projects) logging in, logging a machine out, then relaunching (loading hundreds of scripts and plugins) and reopening those large files.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Live Update in several viewers at the same time

Nowadays, lots of softwares, even CG ones have this feature. Let's say I have two viewers, one with the general scene and next to it, another comp viwer with the character rig.

It would be super useful that I can see changes in both viewers while dragging mouse, not only in the active view. This way workflow would be pretty much faster.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. allow interface text size to be increased

be able to increase the size of the text within the software, not being able to defeats some of the advantage of having a large monitor

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Dynamic Zoom on After effects ?

have a dynamic zoom on After Effects, like on Illustrator or Photoshop ...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Edit/finishing timeline within After Effects.

I've use AE as a finishing tool for about 10 years and have finished thousands of commercials within in it with clients in the room. It has the potential to be a world class finishing system up there with Flame/Smoke/Nuke Studio. All it needs is an option for a new non-linear timeline much like what is found in Premiere and that plays back from disk as I mentioned here https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/35022373-disk-playback-instead-of-ram I see this as an addition to the layered timeline, not to replace it. It wouldn't need a ton of edit features just so long as we can drop traditional…

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. I want you to be able to ON / OFF when implementing a new function [新機能実装時にON/OFFができるようにして欲しい]

If you want to add a new function, please add an ONOFF check box etc. so that you can switch to the past function

In that case, please switch on / off the environment setting. In terms of the current functionality, it is the same as the image of expression or GPU selection.

新機能を試したいが過去の機能も使わなければならない時に新機能にはONOFFのすいっちのチェックボックスなどをつけてもらえるとどちらの運用にも対応できるかと思います。

その場合には環境設定にオンオフのスイッチをつけるということが一番スマートかもしれません。現行の機能でいうとエクスプレッションやGPUの選択のイメージと同じです。

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Remove keybind restrictions

Certain custom keyboard shortcuts cannot be customized. For example, I want to remap the Selection tool to the "A" key. After Effects does not allow this to happen.

I am able to make this change in Premiere Pro and Photoshop, and would appreciate if the same can be done in After Effects by removing these restrictions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base