After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Color swatches in CC libraries are not usable in AE

I would like to go to a shape, fill, and then be able to click on a CC library swatch...

Currently, I have some colours in my CC libraries, for cross platform projects.
    The whole team works with these swatches - but when they come to me to incorporate them to an AE project, the workflow is interrupted.

The colour picker tool doesn't work either: the hex values are completely incorrect, and there's no simple way to copy the hex value from the cc library swatch either: I find myself going to Illustrator or Indesign, opening each swatch and copying…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Zoom To Work Area

How about a command that allows us to zoom the Timline to the exact in and out frames that the work area bar is set up to?

Right now we can tap the ";" key to Zoom in to Frame Intervals – how about Alt+; to trigger Zoom To Work Area?

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Photoshop Groups Warnings

When importing a PSD, it would be nice to throw a warning if a group has either a mask or layer style applied to it.

They don't translate to AE, but if you don't know they're supposed to be there, it's easy to miss.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. caps lock error

The caps lock refresh disable is appearing intermittently without caps lock being depressed, making it nearly impossible to see my artwork in the comp viewer. I am on 16.1.2 build 55. I'm on a macbook pro 2016 running macOS 10.14.6. I've trashed preferences and restarted the application.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Motion Graphics Template - Drop down lists

The Motion Graphics Template should have the capacity to add drop down lists in the parameters in order to create more user friendly templates for video editors.

Having to resort to cursor sliders so as to get more options isn’t optimal. It’s not very practical to use, plus there is often a gap between the value shown next to the slider - a whole number - and the real value of the expressions in after effects - often a decimal number -.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Handle Photoshop masks on folders

It would be nice if masks on Photoshop folders come through to after effects when converting to precomps. They could just show up as their black/white layer above the comp with the suffix "_MASK".

Alternatively, give a warning if there are folders with masks when importing, so that you know to go look and resolve them. Sometimes in large PSDs it's hard to track down every instance of a mask, and it'd be nice to get a warning about.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. BUG: AE Doesn't Display Space Characters (breaks interoperability with PS/AI)

After Effects doesn't display space characters in text layers.

This is important because:
    1. A space is not always blank.
    2. Photoshop and Illustrator show the spaces correctly.

Some typefaces use spaces to create effects such as creating a solid block of text or a cutout look. Designers use these on purpose to create specific effects. However, you can't use the same fonts in After Effects to create the same outputs.

The two attached screenshots are:
    - Photoshop displaying space characters correctly in a font with non-empty spaces.
    - After Effects displaying the same text.

In this case, you cannot…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Multiple Comps to AME Queue - only first arrives

When multiple AE Comps are Exported to the Media Encoder Queue when AME is not yet started, only the first selected Comp makes it to the queue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. implement the same gradient tool like in illustrator

I really love the gradient tool in Illustrator ... you can choose from 3 types: linear, radial and freeform ... and the best thing is that you can add additional points ... it´s flexible, easy to use and fantastic :-!
    I miss this tool so much in After Effects and it would be wonderful to implement a similar tool in After Effects!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Import layer transfer modes from Illustrator

It would be great if the transfer modes from illustrator layers would be reflected when the .ai file is imported into After Effects.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ability to split a layer in the timeline similar to Premiere

When working with assets that are coming on and off you have to create multiple instances of the same layer. However premiere allows you to cut segments out of a track and it always stays on one line. It would be so nice if after effects allowed you to do this to a single layer so you don’t have to keep duplicating it just for it to be visible again later in the timeline. Some of our AE files at work are very cluttered with the same layer on the timeline just because to bring back a layer later you…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Background Render and background continual Auto-Save, please it's time.

Background render would allow all users to continue working and the render would pick up during inactivity. And background auto save wouldn't force times of inactivity.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. aaf export

I can create sequences in Avid Media Composer and export them as AAF to add effects in AE. I'd like to be able to render an AAF back out of AE directly to send that AAF to DaVinci Resolve or Avid Symphony without having to create a Premiere Project that only serves the purpose of a pass-through (read: opportunity for data loss/corruption).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. A Set Project option.

The ability to set your project location, so for example you have a new project and you set it so that when you import your assets it will open the files directory you have specified. Rather then the last project that was open. That way your renders will render into the set folder, and when you import you can have you project file with all the sub folders. Autodesk Maya has this exact feature and it makes working on multiple projects a day less of a headache, because you don't have to search through a ton of folders just to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Save a Shape Layer (and/or precomp) to my CC Library/Adobe Assets

It would be great to be able to save shape layers within After Effects to my library assets. They are after all vector files. This would make sharing assets between teams and projects much easier. I could then have my own library of most commonly used animated logos to start with. The next level would be to be able to save Precomps??

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. When importing, ask to store newly imported footage into the footage folder!

After making a collected files folder, when you import a file/footage into your project, AE should ask if you want the file to be copied to the footage folder so no links will ever be lost.
    It happens often that I accidentally delete footage that is linked to one of my projects.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bake master comp (motion graphics template, essential graphics panel)

Currently, when using master properties within After Effects there's no easy way to "go back" to a regular tree of comp and pre-comps without losing the custom values applied to each instance of the master comp.

Suggestion:
    Right-click menu to duplicate a comp that has been customized using master properties.
    This would create duplicates of the selected master comp and all of its children/pre-comps with the custom master properties values applied to the appropriate source properties within those duplicates.

In short, something like True Comp Duplicator, but compatible with master comps: https://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/

Expressions used inside the master comp and its…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Import psd layer styles on folders

When I try to import a photoshop file that has layer styles on the folders they don’t show up in AE

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Save artboards to separate files from Illustrator shows empty layers from original document

When using “Save each artboard to a separate file” in Illustrator, empty layers that do not show in the resulting files in Illustrator show in After Effects when imported as a Composition.

The expected behavior is that empty layers do not show when the document is imported into After Effects as a Composition in the same way that they do not show in Illustrator.

I’ve come to call these “phantom layers”.

The best solution that I’ve come up with is the following:
    1. Prior to importing the resulting Illustrator documents into After Effects, open them in Illustrator.
    2. Make a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base