After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Render Queue - File Name and Location Template bug in 2021 (18.4.1 (Build 4))

so I have a project:
    F:\filmmaking\Client Name (587)\Film Name\CODE.2.6.2021.aep

When I use the File Name and Location Template (in AE 2021 only, all other versions work fine)
    [projectFolder]\renders\FINALS[compName]_Proof.[fileExtension]

It seemingly randomly saves the file(s) in either:
    F:\renders\FINALS* or
    F:\filmmaking\renders\FINALS* or
    F:\filmmaking\Client Name (587)\renders\FINALS*
    never F:\filmmaking\Client Name (587)\Film Name\renders\FINALS* like it is supposed to.

If after I apply the template, I click on the link, it takes me to the dialogue showing exactly where it is supposed to go. Click render and it renders to the correct path.

If I don't click the filename first, it renders to a random parent…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve "inline" styling of text via Expressions

It would be great to not only be able to use the "getStyleAt()" method, but also implement something like "setStyleAt()" in order to style portions of the text separately.

It would also help to be able to chain different styles together. Right now, it's impossible to do proper text styling with different style types programmatically. It would be incredibly helpful, especially for Templates / MOGRTs.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add customizable tokens/properties to Render Queue

It would be extremely helpful to be able to define our own render tokens somehow. We often have very long and complex filenames that string together common elements like "Project Code," "Client Name," "Project Name," "Deliverable Name," "First/Last Initials," "Version Number", "Language"

It would be helpful to be able to define these somewhere in the AE project, perhaps as metadata, and then allow them to be used as render tokens/properties that can be used in the existing File Name and Location Templates.

Sure, we can manually enter this information ourselves when we go to render. We could also rename our…

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. More intelligent pasting of instances of Effects

If I copy an effect and paste it to a layer which already has an instance of that effect, instead of resulting in two instances of the effect, my values are pasted into the pre-existing instance.

I get that this can sometimes be a time-saver but I think there are more times when it’s annoying and I think it’s counter-intuitive for newer users.

The behaviour could be that values are pasted if I selected specific properties within the effect when I clicked Copy. That would follow my intention and other behaviours within AE.

Or

The behaviour could be that values…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. [BUG] DNx Codecs No Longer Supported?

ISSUE: As of v18.4, DNx Codecs no longer work properly in AE (as well as Media Encoder and possibly others). For example, a known good (works in other programs, as well as older versions of AE) DNxHR HQ video with Alpha will appear completely black.

REPRODUCTION: Import a DNx video file, for example DNxHR HQ with alpha channel into After Effects.

WORKAROUND: Rolling back to v18.2.1 works as a workaround, but is not viable long-term or with remote teams.

SYSTEM INFO: This issue has occurred on various Windows-based machines of various capabilities. Some of the editors on my team who…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop adding new features till the program works at an appropriate speed.

I'm tracking footage as I write this. the entire file is just a single 4k video with two trackers. my cache is on an ssd, and I run a 1070 and 6700k intel chip. not the best, I know...
    bit it worked fine on 6k anamorphic video in 2016 when I made it. so now I get to say:
    what the hell adobe. how did you mess this up so much, the moment you went subscription?

it's simple. after effects has become like 3DS max: buggy, cobbled together, filled with half-functional plugins, all with messy code and badly integrated, with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please fix the Rotobrush 2.0 tool for Mac m1 silicon users.

Please fix the Rotobrush 2.0 tool for Mac m1 silicon users.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Generate a report of clip timecodes used in a comp

The 'Collect files...' report only lists the files used in a comp. It does not contain the timecodes or frame ranges used. This is necessary for generating reports of, for example: stock footage used in a comp. Or for reporting which sections of the dailies have been used in a comp.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Open in Essential Graphics from Comp window

I love that you can right click on a Comp in the project window and "Open this Comp in Essential Graphics" Most of the work we do happens in the Comp window, would be nice to have that option also available from there so you don't have to find your comp in the project window or in the crazy complicated Primary drop down menu in the Essential Graphics window.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. AE MOGRT - Add a script callback when changing a parameter

To improve MOGRT flexibility, it could be nice to have the possibility to run a script when an input parameter changes.
    For exemple when user changes an input media (with media remplacement stuff..) the script could change the duration of a composition from the input media duration...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow markers in AE-created .mogrt files to be seen in Premiere

.mogrts are a great way to create stylized transitions and such, but the inability to add markers that are viewable within Premiere creates inconvenience when actually putting these into use. Being able to send an AE timeline marker back into Premiere within the mogrt would be hugely helpful!

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bug in Team Project using Essential Graphics and Footage Replacement

Footage linked in essential graphics no longer available for swapping when reopening a teams project.

Steps to reproduce:

1: Create a teams project
    2: Create a comp 1
    3: import an image
    4: Add image to comp 1
    5: Add image to Essential graphics
    6: Add comp 1 to new comp 2

At this point the image from comp 1 can still be swapped in comp 2 timeline

7: close and reopen project

At this point the image is no longer visible in timeline for swapping in comp 2

This is in both the latest versions of AE Mac and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Import multiple folders

When I want to import several folders from a directory I have to either import them one at a time which wastes a lot of time, or import the entire parent directory which may contain dozens of unneeded folders and files. Can we simply be allowed to import multiple folders the same way we can with multiple files?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. MOGRT Relinking Bug

When MOGRTs go offline, have to relink them one by one.

Windows 10.0.19042
    Premiere 15.4.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Take Snapshot to Clipboard

Add Take Snapshot to Clipboard so that the current appearance of the Composition can be pasted to Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Word, PowerPoint, Slack, TextEdit, or any other application that allows one to paste a graphic from the Clipboard.

This could be implemented with a modifier key like command + click Take Snapshot on Mac and control + click Take Snapshot on Windows.

While it's easy enough to use Command +3 or Command + 4 on Mac, having Take Snapshot to Clipboard would allow for getting just the visible area of the Composition more quickly, speeding up one's workflow.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. ALT+drag copy/duplicate

I would like to see ALT+Drag to copy/duplicate for layers in the timeline and assets in the project panel. Its a standard function for the rest of the adobe suite and for some reason its missing from AE. There's not even an alternate function, its just missing. I understand holding alt and dragging selected key frames in the timeline does temporal stretch. so I see why it might be harder to implement for key frames without upsetting current functions. But, this seems to be a missing feature that would be widely appreciated for those of us that use the wider…

66 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Audio can't be controlled by essential graphics

There doesn't seem to be any way to make audio editable in a mogrt, would be great to be able to do things like link audio levels to a checkbox to make it possible to enable/disable through the Essential Properties etc.

Currently manipulating audio with Essential Properties appears to be impossible

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Batch Proxy Relinking & Improved Proxy Creation

So it has been a long time since i needed to create proxies for after effects, but today I did and was horrified by the workflow.

You have to literally do it one-by-one for each file in the project list. Alternatively, AE likes to just create a useless composition, per piece of footage instead to render, and then re-links all of those to the proxy.

There is no way to batch link them! I decided just to do it in media encoder and do it one by one.

This could massively be improved by being able to select several pieces…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Maintain Footage RGB Interpretation Settings Through Software Updates

Every time CC updates After Effects, it resets my footage color interpretation settings.

I use OpenColorIO and often have my color workspace set to "ACES Academy Color Encoding Specification SMPTE ST"

In order so see the proper color, I must interpret all my footage with the box checked: "Preserve RGB (Disable color management conversions for this item)". The files I often work with are typically Quicktime Prores 4444 movs.

After CC updates to After Effects, I must consistently go through and re-check this box for all my footage. I'm able to somewhat speed up the process using the "remember" and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base