After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow scripts to have access to clipboard

Currently, scripts need to send a command line to copy from clipboard, this seems to be much slower on Windows than on MAC, making scripts not as optimized on Windows machines. Allowing scripts to have direct access to clipboard would fix this issue and make the workflow on Windows comparable to Macs in this regard.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Tapered Strokes

And generally more interoperability with Illustrator and support for the SVG standard

232 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to import a folder and have AE update it in the project window anytime you add assets to it in finder.

I'd like to have the option to be able to import a folder I have labeled in finder (say "Music") and then have that folder auto update inside of after effects whenever I add anything new to the folder in finder.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. maybe they'll listen to a poem?

I miss you h dot two six four
    your size and speed we all adored
    but woe the codec list is bare
    and media encoders just as impaired
    hope someday it will be restored.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. We NEED To be able to access Legacy versions of this software!!

Art does not often move at the same pace as technology. Often times filmmakers work on projects for YEARS in OLDER codecs. It's not recommended to update the software in the middle of an edit. So filmmakers are going to need to have access to install legacy versions of your software! Not just the one or two versions back that is available to download on the creative cloud app. It is absolutely outrageous to pay so much money for software, and then be told in the middle of the project that you can no longer access the software for it.…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow .mogrt files to export with adjustment layers to affect video clips in Premiere.

I use a lot of the same graphics for multiple "Projects" and wanted to create a template in After Effects for consistency and lessen the workload. But It part of that graphic is to turn part of the video clip black and white I need to use an Adjustment Layer. Allowing Adjustment Layers to port over with .mogrt files would make things much easier for me and I'm guessing others as well.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Separate Dimensions on by Default

Add a toggle in Preferences for users to default to Separate Dimensions enabled rather than something that needs to be turned on for every object.

It could fit really well right underneath "Default Spatial Interpolation to Linear" in the General Preferences tab :)

175 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Composition name Dynamic Link

If I change the name of a a composition in After Effects that I got from Premiere via Dynamic Link, the name will not transfer into Premiere. Instead Premiere still shows the old name which results in confusions on whether its the right composition your editing and more. Also I can imagine that there could be problems reopening the Premiere project so that it will not find the AE comp because of the changed name.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. BUG:Inaccurate results when setting displayStartTime via script

After Effects does some bad math when I try to set the displayStartTime of a comp via script.
    When I attempt to set the displayStartTime of a 30fps comp to frame 1000 (33.333333333333 seconds).
    The result startTime is instead 33.3333320617676, which rounds down to frame 999.
    However, setting the startFrame to 1000 manually in the comp settings does make the startTime 33.3333333333333, which should be the expected result via script.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Master Properties Source Text Input Field

When linking source text into a master property you currently get no input field. The process is to right click and edit and you can change it. I'd love to be able to just type it into a field in the MP list. A current hack is to use and expression string to define the source text but that can get heavy pretty fast.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Larger than 30000px framebuffer

I create still renders than can sometime be greater than the 30000px framebuffer limit of After Effects. While I normally will create 8K animations for playback, I will need still imagery for booth and signage designs at hi-res that mimic the animation, hence the need for larger framebuffers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Scripting Access to Text Properties of Individual Letters

If a text has multiple fonts, font sizes, colors, scripts can currently only see those properties for the very first character.

This means scripts like my TextExploder (https://aescripts.com/textexploder/ ) or Text2Spreadsheet (https://aescripts.com/text2spreadsheet/) cannot preserve the text formatting properly, if the text has multiple styles.

Instead of providing a single value for the text properties, Ae should provide scripts an array of style ranges. The XD scripting API does this and is a good example of how it can be done.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. BUG: Render queue output directory doesnt ...

Why i can not go directly to where I did render my frames just by clicking in directory link like it was always ?? Now when I click it it takes me to "My Computer"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Source / Masks / Effects & Masks effect option scriptable

It is possible to set and change each property of the effects with a layer selection dropdown (such as Set Matte or Compound Arithmetic) via scripting, however the selection for 'Source / Mask / Effects & Masks' is currently inaccessible (via script).

Please reveal this dropdown property to the Extendscript API for all effects with a layer selection dropdown.

Screenshot of this inaccessible dropdown is attached.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. A render settings token that allows you to climb up a directory until you find "Folder X"

Situation: I have parallel folder structures.
    CLIENT/PROJECTS/ProjectName/project.aep
    and
    CLIENT/RENDERS/ProjectName/RendersDate
    "Renders" is dropbox shared with the client so they can just watch for new files.

I can write a template that chains together "../" tokens to climb up the hierarchy from the project folder and then down the Renders hierarchy, but it's brittle because if I subfolder my AEP, there is a mismatch and then a bunch of folders get spawned.

I'd love a token that's like "..../CLIENTNAME" so I can say "climb up this hierarchy UNTIL THIS PARTICULAR FOLDER and then down.

(Yes I'd need different render templates per client,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Rednder Queue playback during rendering, edit in revisions without a complete rerender

During rendering, inside the render Queue. Have The ability to play the section that has been rendered so we can check for mistakes. If we find a mistake we can pause the render, choose an in and out point of the section that needs a tweak. Make the tweak and have the render queue render just the revised section, then continue on with the render job. A way to make changes without completely rerendering the entire video.
    Also be able to open up the last render job, choose an (in and out point) and using the previous render it will…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Open EXR timecode

Now that HDR is all the rage, we need better EXR support:
    - import timecode from an EXR sequence, right now only writing timecode works during export. All imported sequences come in with a 00:00:00 timecode :/
    - support for EXR specific metadata
    - EXR in AE is still slowest in the industry. By my test it's 3x times slower than Nuke, and 8x times slower than Blender!!!. Come on, it's an open source program, just steal their importer ;)
    - Can we set a default action to "interpret as linear light"? Right noe all EXRs always get in as…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Blackmagic Raw

Blackmagic Raw needs to be supported natively in both After Effects and Premiere Pro. It is already getting a lot of use and will only become more and more popular. There are some things I still can't do in Blackmagic Fusion and I prefer to use After Effects. Please add it. It has an open API, so it should be extremely easy to implement. Thanks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Touch Bar support for MacBook Pro

The Touch Bar could add an infinite amount of possibilities to increase the speed of using After Effects. For example, one thing I REALLY want is to be able to assign different buttons on the
    Touch Bar to different effects and presets that I choose so that I can quickly access them. This can change the entire experience. Also, some smaller additions like the color picker, sliders, timeline scrubbing, and assignment of adding different layer types to buttons as well would be a very welcome change. I hope this could be added, because it’s extremely useful.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add rendering to HTML5 and other tools to make animated and responsive webdesign

With extensions like Bodymovin and Lottie, the design community is literally screaming for a web friendly solution within AE.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base