After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. After effects 2021 hangs on composition opening

AE 2021 hangs when I load compositions in the project.
    If I move to a different composition or go inside a nested composition it doesn't matter - the program will hang - only force quitting will help.
    Makes this version unusable.
    I have older versions of AE and it works fine.
    I use macOS Catalina
    happens randomly on new projects as well as old ones.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Needs More Info  ·  19 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Assertion (0) failed (DEBUG)

I have this error all the time! I can´t work. I did an entire project and now this happens all the time.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this report.

Our devs looked at your screenshot, and this looks like a case where your GPU is running out of memory. Normally we expect After Effects to self-manage in this situation, or at least to give a better error message, so we do consider this a bug.

To diagnose this further, we need your help. We need more information about your hardware and how After Effects got into this situation. Could you please tell us:
    - About your GPU. Manufacturer, model, VRAM, and driver version.
    - Does the problem persist if you restart After Effects, or failing that, when you restart the computer?
    - What other apps do you have running at the same time? Does the problem occur if you quit them all? (Including web browsers, which are notorious for consuming VRAM.)

3. BUG - Internet connection speed may cause AE to lock up with INVALID MENU OPERATION msg

BUG - Internet connection speed may cause AE to lock up with INVALID MENU OPERATION msg.

Title says it all, can reproduced 100% of the time by lowering my internet connection speed (i.e. downloads and/or uploads). This is a critical productivity issue that has started occurring today 2021-02-23 and reproduced on both latest versions of AE (had it occur before and after updating the application).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  5 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Draft 3D Crash on 18.2.0

New bug on latest update.

I'll work in Draft 3D for ten minutes or so before suddenly my GPU goes from 0%-12% straight to 100% and locks there. After Effects suddenly throws some kind of task to my GPU that prevents anything else from happening. After this state becomes active, turning off Draft 3D/switching to adaptive res does nothing. No way to break whatever task AE has sent to my GPU without end task'ing AE. AE does not hang, but chuggs along as one would expect when the GPU is maxed out.

No clear activity causes this. It seems to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

To understand how After Effects is getting into this crashing condition, we need to profile what it’s doing when it crashes.

The easiest way is if you could send us your project so we could attempt to recreate the crash ourselves.

David, do I have your permission to contact you via the email address provided on this site?

5. [BUG] SampleImage() broken and returns wrong values / breaks expression

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/problem-with-sampleimage-in-after-effects-cc-2015-extendscript-expressions/td-p/7395353

SampleImage() works asynchronously and doesn't udpate on time for a script to read.

There is no way to sample pixel using extendscript, the only workaround is to use SampleImage() using an expression, but this does not return the correct results.

Please there is a lot of potential to make scripts do more content-related stuff with the ability to sample the image and analyze it, this is not a minor issue.

Scripting aside, SampleImage() reads as a broken expression sometimes and takes time to refresh, which makes the orange expression error bar go on and off and can break renders.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Gaussian Blur (GPU) artifacts and quality issues

Gaussian Blur (new GPU based one) has unexpected/poor results compared to the legacy one. Visual artifacts occur in 32-bit mode on adjustment layers, and in general it has a less natural, more blocky look than the traditional Gaussian Blur.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Roto Brush crash AE V 17.7.0

Hi.

Anybody else noticed this?

Cannot use Roto Brush effect with UHD Prores 4444 material and colour management. Roto Brush crashes AE almost immediately.

macOS 10.15.7
    GPU Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

Metal GPU Acceleration.
    Colour management on.
    32-bit ACES AP1 working space with Arri Log C material.

When I turn colour management off, I can use Roto Brush.
    Exciting to see what happens when I have to turn colour management back on when compositing 😬

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix the **** 17 :: 19 overflow error. No real number should ever be allowed to save where an integer is expected.

Fix the **** 17 :: 19 overflow error. No real number should ever be allowed to save where an integer is expected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. After Effects 17.7 crashes when attempting to open preferences.

After Effects will crash if I attempt to open any preference pane.
    I am using an 27" iMac (late 2013) running Mojave 10.14.6.
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. rotobrush 2 crashes w/ Linearize Working Space Checked

Was experiencing crashes when using Rotobrush 2 - AE would instantly crash when clicking a rotobrush selection (green brush). Cleared prefs, purged cache, saved media and project to desktop...nothing worked - finally tried disabling Linear Working Space in project settings - FIXED. Rotobrush 2 does not seem to be stable in a Linear 1.0 working space.

After Effects 17.7
    Windows 10
    256GB Ram
    Titan RTX

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Losing the ability to manipulate the objects in the 3-d space

Every so often when a scene in AE is 3-d tracked I lose the ability to manipulate the objects in the 3-d space. I click on the object in the scene, the item in the editing bay, and every other way to make the 3-d handles appear and nothing works. When this happens it means I have to start from scratch because I can no longer move the objects. In addition I can not make the 3-d trackers reappear in the scene, even if I change the size of the track points. This typically brings them back into the scene…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 17.7 crashing opening project with missing files

AE 17.7 crashing when opening [AE 17.6] project file with 2 missing assets (2 small prores422 mov files). Had to roll back to AE17.6. Opened same project file in 17.6 and it also said that 2 files are missing, but did not crash like 17.7 did.
    I'm so tired of this. It's like walking through a minefield. Before Creative Cloud AE versions were more stable - someone there was responsible for the product they are shipping.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. BUG: Expression Breaks RAM Preview/Memory Leak

I have been working on a project for 10+ hours. It uses nested compositions and expressions referencing between compositions. One of the expressions is a for-loop that runs the sampleImage() expression four times - this expression in particular seems to be causing a lot of problems and throwing "internal errors."

The project has reached a point where it loads fine if all expressions are disabled - the preview updates immediately when I move the time indicator - but as soon as the expression is activated the property color changes from blue to green and hangs there instead of turning red.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Rendering frames to DPX fails randomly prior to completion after the latest update, sits idle, must reset render options & click render -BUG

Updated to latest After Effects update on 4/6/19. Rendering is not reliable. Render creates a random number of complete DPX frames before ending prematurely and returning to a normal GUI working state. Programs does not crash, only the render stops and has to be set up again and the render button must be clicked again. Fails multiple times during the course of rendering 300 frames of DPX. Very high aggravation, factor please fix.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report. We need additional information before we can investigate this problem.

What OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14.3)

Do you receive any error messages? Is there a log file in the render output folder that indicates which frames were rendered or not?

Are you rendering via the render queue in After Effects with the UI open? Or are you using the command-line renderer, watch folder rendering, a distributed rendering solution, or other?

It may help if you provide us with a project file that demonstrates the problem (with the item queued and ready to render) and a screen recording of the problem in action. Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files,…

17. Cineware fix on first start

A lot of time, when I open an .aep file with a .c4d in the project, the cineware plugin have an error. I have to restart AE to work fine.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Late to the party, updated to 16.1

Late to the party, updated to 16.1 and I'm having all sorts of issues with text layers (sometimes they crash it completely, other times if it's a text layer on top of another layer, the text layer disappears.) Also, any project from a previous version crashes when I try to update it so I have to import it into a new project and pray the comp I open doesn't crash.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report.

A bug where After Effects may crash when opening a project if there are missing fonts was fixed in the April 2019 bug-fix patch for After Effects (version 16.1.1). You can install this patch via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

If the 16.1.1 update does not resolve the problem you’re experiencing, it would be helpful if you could provide us with one or more project files that demonstrate the issues you’ve described.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

19. Some conflict between cuda and AE 2018/2019 and transform effect

Error GPU out of memory appears when I use "transform" effect on a solid layer, if I disable GPU acceleration or work in AE CC 2017 all is fine.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

We need more information about the conditions you experience the problem.

• What OS and version are you using? i.e., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14
    • What graphics card is installed? What driver version?
    • Does the this problem only happen in your existing projects, or does it occur if you create a new comp and a new solid, and apply only the Transform effect?

Update 26 Nov 2018:
    Could you share a project with us that exhibits the problem? I think we need to inspect the specific conditions of the comp that you’re using. We’re not able to reproduce the problem with a simple comp + solid.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked;…

20. Any 29.97 fps footage crashes AE 16.1

Hi After Effects 16.1 crashes continuously while adding any 29.98 fps footage to the comp.
    It imports to the project ok, opens in the footage window, allows to trim but Ae immediately freezes as I insert -edit it to the composition.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base