After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. FIX After Effects 2022 V22.0.1

After Effects 2022 v22.0.1 DOES NOT EXPORT TO MEDIA ENCODER on Windows. This problem was reported for Mac, but it was directly stated that others have the same problem on Windows. Exact same symptoms, exact same behaviour. You try to export a video from After Effects using the Media Encoder Queue, and nothing happens. Media Encoder opens and just sits there doing absolutely nothing.

157 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

70 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. M1 Max ProRes 4444 Alpha Compressor Failing Render

Renders fail when attempting to export ProRes 4444 alpha that would otherwise not occur on Intel based macs.

Issue causes the following prompt:

"""

After Effects error: Rendering error will writing to file "...." Compressor format error. (-1610153454).

Followed by:

After Effects error: An unexpected error occured while exporting a composition. Error Code: 9988

Please restart After Effects and retry the export.

""""

Anecdotally, this is occurring on about 80% of comps I try to render. Most frequently on more complex comps with blurs and variations in the opacity levels.

Please fix this quickly, otherwise this effectively causes AE on…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

Thank you again for reporting this issue. Thanks to your reports, our team has identified the cause of the error and a fix is now available in the latest Beta builds of After Effects. Premiere Pro, and Media Encoder in the Creative Cloud app. Please try rendering your projects in the Beta builds and let us know if the issue appears to be fixed for you as well.

For those not able to use the Beta, the error can be avoided by disabling hardware acceleration for ProRes encoding, labeled "Enable ProRes hardware accelerated encoding, if available":

• In After Effects, this setting is located under Preferences > Output
    • In Premiere Pro and Media Encoder, the setting is located under Preferences > Media

Once the fix is available in the release builds, this issue will be marked as Resolved.

Thanks again for reporting this issue, and for any further…

3. Zero denominator converting ratio denominators 17 : : 18

For After Effects and Premiere Pro users, we provide a graphic and animation pack, which is used by more than 3000 customers.

After your last updates, our customers began reporting that they were receiving the unstoppable zero denominator error message when trying to use our library. We have tried to find the source of the problem, but it continues to appear randomly with no logical explanation. As I can see some other users have reported this bug related to Time Remap.

Here is a sample project file that gives the error.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-9WJGP5JsrmULsGRTIxxxRWbdRUG6bVF/view?usp=sharing

This bug makes our product unusable to users…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. After Effects needed more Tim Kurkoski at NAB

I feel that the whole NAB experience would have performed better and been much more stable if Tim was there.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. AE frequently resets preferences upon opening

Ever since the release of AE 22.2, it happens quite frequently to me that AE resets all preferences upon opening it. Maybe something like every fourth or fifth time of opening it (but the frequency seems to vary). Other times, I just get an error message that some preference file contains an expected value (but I don't think it resets all preferences, though).

Is this a known bug? Can I do something about it? There are so many preferences I have to add back every time that I can't really work in these AE versions.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. AE crash when deleting expression linked effect

AE reports 9 expressions error but in theres only 8. If I select and delete CC Toner effect on v2 the app crash. Manually deleting each expession individually is the only way to go but during the process the expression warning message reports an astronomous amount of errors (see 2nd screenshot). Bug has been reported on multiple machine.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 18.4 is eating through my memory and then crashing during previews and renders

After Effects is eating through memory when previewing and rendering. It goes through my 128 gig in about a hundred frames and then crashes.

After effects is getting worse not better

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. after effect UI slow

hello

i just purchased a new pc with AMD ryzen 7 4800h 8 cores 16 threads. base clock 2.9ghz boost clock 4.2ghz rtx 2060 6gb 16gb 3200mhz ram dual channel and a 512gb ssd. but in my after effect. there is a lot of lag once the softeware is opened and the 4 sec to 6sec lag before a funtion i pressed is activated is fraustrating. the general lag. please is there a way to resolve this. and a friend system 4th gen i5 8gb ram 500gb hdd intel hd 4500 performs faster in the software ui than mine with…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. extComms error - Status code 0

I'm receiving this error in both after effects 22.2 and after effects 22.3 beta. It happens as soon as the app loads. It doesn't cause a crash, but I can't figure out what's causing it.

I'm working on a Macbook Pro 16" 2019 (intel based), macOS 12.2.1, 64gb ram, 8-core

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Effect Masks sometimes produce Glitches

Hi,

so this is an issue I've run into for some time now. Every once in a while, effect masks produce glitches on the image. So in this example, I'm using the blue mask as a mask reference on a Curves effect. The first image shows my layer with the Curves effect turned off, the second image with the Curves effect turned on. You see that glitches appear on the layer. This issue is really hard to reproduce as it just occurs very infrequently. But when it does, there seems to be no way to get it to work anymore.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. BUG: Media Encoder always GPU despite CPU or GPU setting

We are creating Metaballs visual effects which require delicate setting using Gaussian Blurs.

We have animated projects using the new Gaussian Blur with the Project Setting set to Mercury Software Only.

When setting Project Setting to Mercury GPU Acceleration Metal, the visuals look vastly different.

When rendering with Media Encoder, no matter if we set the renderer to be Mercury Software Only OR Mercury GPU, it ALWAYS matches the appearance of rendering with AE Project Settings set to Mercury GPU.

In other words, Media Encode is ignoring and refusing to render in Mercury Software Only mode.

See linked file:
    -…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Fix Auto-save function

MacOS Big Sur

Auto-save is enabled ”next to project file”. However there were no autosaved project files at all.
    Rendering of project file was frozen out after 2 hours (estimated total render time was 17 min).
    Have to redo the project. Really disappointed and unreliable product.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Text cursor glitch

I'm using the latest version of AE on Mac OSX 12.0.1, and suddenly, the Type tool is not working as expected.

As I type, the cursor keeps jumping back to the beginning of my text. Whenever I add punctuation, it moves the punctuation to the start as well.

If I try to select the last character or use the arrows on my keyboard to get back to the end of my text, the cursor jumps back to the beginning again.

I tried restarting my computer, but that did not help. The issue occurs in all new AE projects/comps, with every…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. SELECT previous/next keyframe

Currently the J and K shortcuts navigate the CTI to the previous/next keyframe in the timeline, but there's no way to actually select the keyframe with the keyboard in order to nudge it in time using Alt + arrow keys.

The ideal functionality would be that J and K not only navigate the CTI to the closest keyframe but also select it so that u can nudge it left and right without ever using the mouse.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make It Usable Again On Mac

My After Effects program crashes ALL THE TIME now, it didn't used to crash this much before (not nearly). I am running AE22 on Mac OS 12.2.1, with a top of the line machine. I pay every month for this software... I can barely use the software for even 10 seconds at a time before it locks up and crashes my whole computer. I have closed every single other app aside from the Creative Cloud as well, so it's not some conflict with another piece of software. You need to fix this or I'll just drop this piece of software…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. BUG: Unable to Launch Script UI Panels

BUG: Unable to Launch Script UI Panels

Since updating to AE 22.1.1, I am unable to launch script UI panels. I've tried with multiple ones that I've used the last several years (all from AE Scripts) but get the beach ball of death and AE becomes unresponsive causing me to Force Quit. I've tried deleting AE and reinstalling multiple times to no avail. Help in this matter would be greatly appreciated as I use these scripts everyday and do not have a workaround.

System specs:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,2
    Chip: Apple M1 Max
    Total Number of Cores:…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Bug: Save Frame As PSD locks up AE 22.2.0

AE 22.2.0 on Windows 10 locks up when I choose the command Composition > Save Frame As > Photoshop Layers. The save location window pops up, and after clicking Save, the Saving window pops up, but no progress is made. Immediately, in the Task Manager, the program is showing "Not Responding", and I can see the memory usage slowly creeping up, using even more than the "RAM Available for AE" setting in the preferences. I have to end the task and restart.

Now, if I choose to Save Frame As > File, it will get put in the render que…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. After Effects Constantly Crashing

After Effects has been installed on my machine for a few months. I have not opened it until today. I am attempting to complete the built-in tutorials. I am able to make some progress but the application simply closes. At times it freezes and stops responding before close, other times there is no forewarning. In either scenario, there is no error message or prompt the save, nor a "not responding" indicator, it simply closes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. How is After Effects still so horrible???

It's really starting to get old dealing with Adobe and their buggy products. My workflow is constantly getting screwed up by some stupid flaw in the software. Used to be having the top end Mac that's less than a year old would mean something.

It's just one thing after another and every update makes things worse. What are we paying for? What are their developers doing to the software? This isn't how it used to be when you paid once and you got a version. Now it's like we're getting punished for having a monthly subscription.

As I work on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21