After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. After effects 2021 hangs on composition opening

AE 2021 hangs when I load compositions in the project.
    If I move to a different composition or go inside a nested composition it doesn't matter - the program will hang - only force quitting will help.
    Makes this version unusable.
    I have older versions of AE and it works fine.
    I use macOS Catalina
    happens randomly on new projects as well as old ones.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Needs More Info  ·  11 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Preview is stuck in a loop and is unresponsive

RAM Preview becomes unresponsive to clicks, spacebar, Num0, ESC, etc. Playback continues on loop and the only way I've found to regain control is to minimize/maximize AE or close the application.

Build 17.0.4 Build 59

147 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

86 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Crash with Big Sur 11.2, unusable software

Dear Adobe, with After Effects CC2020 17.6 we have been experiencing MAJOR crashes. During rendering and sometimes scrubbing, AE just closes and goes to the desktop. It is a crash and then I have to send a bug report. I am attaching the crash logs to help you determine the issue.

We are on a Mac Pro with Big Sur 11.2 and we even tried removing ALL plugins and reinstalling all adobe software including reinstalling Big Sur, this issue is still persistent.

In the mean time we are dual booting into Catalina 10.15.7 to continue working and this is unprecedented.…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [Bug Report] Adding sourceRectAtTime() Expression Crashes AE

When attempting to add a sourceRectAtTime() expression to a Mask Path property that references a text layer, After Effects will immediately crash upon evaluation.

Reproduction steps:
    1. Create a new project
    2. Create a new composition (tested with HDTV 1080 29.97 preset for repro purposes)
    3. Add a text layer
    4. Create a comp-size solid
    5. Add a comp-size mask to the solid by double clicking the mask button
    6. On the "Mask Path" property of the mask created in step 5, add the expression: `thisComp.layer(<nameoftext_layer>).sourceRectAtTime()

After clicking out of the expression editor and allowing AE to evaluate,…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PPro throws error message when importing an AeMoGRT (... "corrupt metadata" ...)

The full error messages reads as follows -
    "The Motion Graphics Template has corrupt metadata and cannot be installed".

Is it possible to refresh the metadata in AE?

I have about 200 props in the EGP and will rather not have to rebuild the entire EGP again; especially when there's possibility of another breakdown.

Restarting AE didn't help. Importing the AEP into a blank AEP didn't help. Renaming the Comp didn't help.

A very strong possibility of this metadata mess seems to manifests itself with props in the EGP disappearing. They're still there since trying to re-populate the EGP with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Assertion (0) failed (DEBUG)

I have this error all the time! I can´t work. I did an entire project and now this happens all the time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for posting this report.

Our devs looked at your screenshot, and this looks like a case where your GPU is running out of memory. Normally we expect After Effects to self-manage in this situation, or at least to give a better error message, so we do consider this a bug.

To diagnose this further, we need your help. We need more information about your hardware and how After Effects got into this situation. Could you please tell us:
    - About your GPU. Manufacturer, model, VRAM, and driver version.
    - Does the problem persist if you restart After Effects, or failing that, when you restart the computer?
    - What other apps do you have running at the same time? Does the problem occur if you quit them all? (Including web browsers, which are notorious for consuming VRAM.)

7. After Effects v18.0 stuck at "Initialzing Required Components"

Running version 18.0.1 on Windows 10 (20H2) OS Build 19042.867

Any time I attempt to start AE, it fails to start the application getting stuck at "Initialzing Required Components"

I've tried rolling back by video driver (NVIDIA GeForce GT 740, Driver version 461.40) with no luck.

I've also tried removing the 18.0 folder located at C:\Users&lt;USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\18.0

Crash report is attached.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. AE Crashes after sending to media encoder 17.7.0

After installing the latest update (17.7.0) AE started crashing after sending compositions to render in AME.

See Screen capture of the crash
    + attached crash report

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. RAM Preview not working

RAM preview frequently stops working. I'm using AE 17.6. When I'm working on a project, the RAM preview will often just stop working. It looks like it's caching, but then does nothing.. Purging memory and disc cache does nothing - only quitting and re-opening AE works. This is getting very frustrating.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Comp window 3D settings don't appear

Bug report. The 3d camera view popups don't seem to appear sometimes. While it's kind of nice that they're contextual and only appear "when needed", they seem buggy.

I started a new project and was in 4 camera views in my last project, so it appeared in 4 views. Unfortunately, since there were no 3D layers, I couldn't go back to 1 view without first creating layers and making them 3D.

Also, when changing the view of my Comp in and out of fullscreen using the Tilde key, the 3D camera controls disappear entirely until I click in certain areas…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. [BUG] Green MP4 in timeline

When adding an MP4 created in AME CC20, the video is displayed with a green error screen. Basic functionality broken yet again. What can I do?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. [BUG] SampleImage() broken and returns wrong values / breaks expression

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/problem-with-sampleimage-in-after-effects-cc-2015-extendscript-expressions/td-p/7395353

SampleImage() works asynchronously and doesn't udpate on time for a script to read.

There is no way to sample pixel using extendscript, the only workaround is to use SampleImage() using an expression, but this does not return the correct results.

Please there is a lot of potential to make scripts do more content-related stuff with the ability to sample the image and analyze it, this is not a minor issue.

Scripting aside, SampleImage() reads as a broken expression sometimes and takes time to refresh, which makes the orange expression error bar go on and off and can break renders.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. rotobrush crashes on m1 macbook pro

Hi, I've read on other issues of when rotobrush crashes on first stroke. This is NOT my issue. I'm able to generate as many strokes as I want.. but only on the first frame. As soon as I move forward (or backward), AE crashes. Help!

I am using the latest AE on the M1 Macbook Pro — I've attached my specs.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Dynamic Link error

Well well well the new update (18.2.0, build 37) bring to us a new and wonderful UNStability: when you try render any compsition in AME, AE crashout and the popup display appears:

"Last log message was:
    <88200> <DynamicLink> <5> AME app path: /Applications/Adobe Media Encoder 2021/Adobe Media Encoder 2021.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Media Encoder 2021

Generating crash log, which may take a few minutes."

The same happens when I try to create a AE compostion with any asset inside Premiere

Running in Imac 2019 with Catalina

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Stop working on features and make it stable becouse its a piece of junk.

Dont just tell people to go do a workaround for issues.
    Fix the issues.

I reguralry spend a third of the time each day on the program's inability to perform.

Granted Our teachers are idiots making us do vfx compositing in a program thats made for

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Gaussian Blur (GPU) artifacts and quality issues

Gaussian Blur (new GPU based one) has unexpected/poor results compared to the legacy one. Visual artifacts occur in 32-bit mode on adjustment layers, and in general it has a less natural, more blocky look than the traditional Gaussian Blur.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. There is an issue with Advanced Lightning

I wanted to parent the position of a PNG to the Advanced Lightning effect’s “direction” of strike. However when I try to, I get an error saying that Advanced Lightning HAS no “direction” attribute. I used the pick whip to parent, dragging the PNG’s position to the “direction” in Advanced Lightning. I don’t know if this matters, but I’m using the “two way strike” preset.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. No PNG inport 2021

MAC OS 10.15.7 (19H524)
    No error messages.
    But will not relink to PNG Files all grayed out.
    work fine in 2020.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. After Effects 2020 V17.6 needs to update bug regarding when using repeater.

When using repeater within shape layer. The program suddenly freezes when you are using repeater more than 1 layer whereas After Effects 2019 has no issues.

Meaning it is not the problem with overload its simply a glitch.

Please fix this bug regarding repeater use in After Effects 2020 so people can use repeater continuously in 2020 version as well.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add to Adobe Media Encoder not working After Effects Version 18.2.0

When exporting a project and sending (adding) to Media Encoder it will not work. Encoder will open automatically but it's empty and will not see the After Effects project. So unable to export through Encoder.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base