After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Mercury Transmit issue in 16.1

Just upgraded to 16.1 and I can no longer access my external monitor. Mercury transit automatically switches to "monitor 2" when I need it to stay on "monitor 1" even after I reset my preferences.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

48 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. AE keeps crashing since update

I did the update yesterday, everything worked fine, untill suddenly AE crashed. Since then it keeps crashing the moment I click on anything, no matter which project I open. I then get the following report:

<140735969784704> <BEE_WorkQueue> <5> BEE_Project::TimestampGetNext ZANZIBAR-3: cannot produce timestamp, frozen=0, open=0.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. After Effects freezes when importing a single image

Using CC2019 (latest version but problem exists longer):

When importing a single image via the After Effects import dialog, After Effects freezes. Dragging and dropping works fine (and is what I do in the meantime), as well as importing image sequences.

Sometimes After Effects recovers after some minute of freezing, sometimes only Task Manager can help to close the program.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dividing by zero in Expressions.

Have anything divided by zero, default to zero value instead of undefined.

In expressions when you divide by zero, it causes the expression to break. it would be cool if AE was smart enough to ignore this and just pretend that anything divided by zero had the value of zero. so we don't have to put if/then statements into our code to avoid this.

an example is if you are using expressions to keep the stroke of a shape layer constant as it scales. the expression looks somewhat like this.

stroke/scale/100

if scale is zero, it breaks, but if the…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Extractor BUG, 2019

with the new update of AE 2019, whenever we are using extractor on exr passes, extractor is not going away, so at the end of the project we end up having like 55 extractor menus open on the second monitor, which is a bit funny. please fix, thanks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. BUG: localeCompare() immediately crashes After Effects!

Typing localeCompare() into any expression immediately crashes After Effects!

This also occurs with the majority of autocomplete options for "locale".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. CRITICAL: Cannot launch After Effects since update to 2019

Cannot launch After Effects since update to 2019! After Effects crashes the second I launch After Effects. I log the crash report through the Adobe dialog that appears then After Effects displays the splash screen saying it is initialising MediaCore but never gets past this. Premiere Pro and Media Encoder work fine.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. protected region can't use continuous rasterize

Is this where to do bug reports? Whatever, this is where I'm doing it.

Create an animation in a composition, somewhere in the middle. Create a protected region there. Also create a master property. In my case I added fill and added the color.

Now insert that into another composition. Hit play. Should work ok.
    Now hit continuously rasterize.
    You Should get an error that AE needs at least 2 frames to play back.

Honestly, this Sort of makes sense. I want to continously rasterize the vector graphics from there, but since I'm changing the color, it shouldn't work? It's…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Roto Brush refine edge crash

AE 16.1.1
    Haven't used roto brush in a while so don't know when this problem showed up.
    Do a roto brush pass on a shot, works great.
    Move to the first frame, select refine edge brush, click somewhere on the edge to start the refine edge working mode. Now advance one frame forward - crash.
    Repeated the same steps in AE 2018 - works fine :/

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Transform FX's Rotation Bug

if a layer inside the mogrt uses the Transform FX Effect (from the effects and presets panel) and the rotation property is introduced and touched it becomes unstable - in it's position - jumps and shifts from it's original position as you slide the rotation property every ~90 degrees

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Mercury transmit when opening project strobing in 16.1

When opening a project with a mercury transmit monitor on, the screen is white/grey when the app opens. But when you open a project with it, the screen starts strobing on and off really bad. It only started with this update.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Freeze Crash when I open multiple copies of AE 16.1.1 (build 4)

This greatly affects my ability to complete deadline-oriented commercial work. My workflow is to make TV commercials using 3 or 4 instances of AE simultaneously. Now I am limited to just one, greatly impacting my ability to make deadlines. I hope you can fix this soon.

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Processor 3.5GHz Core i7 Graphics NVIDIA GeoForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Master Properties Bug

I love master properties, but every once in a while this happens. The master properties of a comp just disappear — usually after duplicating the parent composition. Everything is revealed here, but properties are missing from the lower comp.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Bug 3D Camera tracker - Illegal XML character

In the 3D camera tracker effect, in the advanced settings, the penultimate option is not complete ("Supprimer automatiquement les p").
    When I check or uncheck the box, a pop-up error window says "After Effects (erreur) : Caractère XML "⊗" non autorisé dans la chaîne "Supprimer automatiquement les pobots dan⊗" (23 § 0)"
    You can see it on the screen capture.

I don't know what this character is, but maybe it comes from a translation error.
    I use Adobe After Effects CC 2019 (Version 16.1.2, Build 55), in French, on Windows 10 Family 64 bits with all the latest updates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. BUG: "AE CC 2019 Hangs on Initialize MediaCore Stage"

AE CC 2019 v16.1.2 - Startup hangs for a long time on Initialize MediaCore Stage. This is caused by the Adobe Dynamic Link Manager CC 2019 Process taking a long time to initiate for some reason.

It works perfectly in AE CC 2018. v15.1.2 The Adobe Dynamic Link Manager CC 2018 Process loads up right away allowing the program to launch right away. No freezing or hanging on the Initialize MediaCore stage

If you rename the dynamiclinkmanager.exe file that is located in your C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2019\Support Files to ex. "DynamicLInkManager_backup.exe". This will allow you to get past…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Memory Leak within AE 2018

AE CC 2018, 15.1.2, Build 69
    macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
    iMac Pro, 18-core, 128GB RAM, Vega 64
    100GB RAM Reserved for AE, 28GB for other apps.

I appear not to be the first to submit this bug. Memory leak appears when working on large compositions for long periods of time (~6-8 hours).

I'll hit a point where the system is acting sluggish and I try to exit the program softly, after saving. When AE closes, I receive the prompt, "After Effects Error String Memory Leak (83 :: 2)".

There was nothing helpful in console logs and this has happened across multiple…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix recurring bug "String memory leak"

"String memory leak" at quit, AGAIN, it went away for a few months and now it's back, after the latest Windows update. :(

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 16.1 update memory bug

After updating to 16.1 After effects is unable to allocate memory. I have a 64GB RAM system, but After effects is unable to load frames more than 10 frames HD at quarter resolution, suggests getting more RAM...
    Also, the update doesn't migrate the panel layout settings or revert to them when opening a existing project which was saved with the panel layout (which is kinda weird, AE has a tendency to rearrange the panel layout when opening a project for an other user to their layout (very frustrating...), but when you actually want this to happen (because for some strange…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enabling Expression Editor in Graph View crashes After Effects (Windows 10)

Enabling the expression editor in graph view crashes the application every time. At its most simple, I have created a new project, created a new comp, added a solid, alt-clicked the solid's Position property to add the default expression (transform.position), clicked the graph icon in the expression tools to enable it in graph view, entered graph view, enable expression editor and poof! Hard crash of After Effects. Every time, no matter the complexity of the project or simplicity of the expression.

16.1.1 Build 4
    Windows 10 10.0.17763
    nvidia GTX980M
    Driver version 430.39

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make it stop crashing at close after clearing cache

Frequently crashes after I clear the cache and try to close AE. Have to force quit AE via the Task Manager.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base