After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Mercury Transmit issue in 16.1

Just upgraded to 16.1 and I can no longer access my external monitor. Mercury transit automatically switches to "monitor 2" when I need it to stay on "monitor 1" even after I reset my preferences.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

49 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. AE keeps crashing since update

I did the update yesterday, everything worked fine, untill suddenly AE crashed. Since then it keeps crashing the moment I click on anything, no matter which project I open. I then get the following report:

<140735969784704> <BEE_WorkQueue> <5> BEE_Project::TimestampGetNext ZANZIBAR-3: cannot produce timestamp, frozen=0, open=0.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. CRASH: Changing font (Version 16.1.3)

After Effect v. 16.1.3

When I double click the text that I want to edit and go to the fonts dropdown to change the font. It opens normally, like it should.However, as soon as I press an arrow key on my keyboard to navigate through the list.. it immediately crashes.

This is very annoying as it happend a few times now which results in losing some progress over and over again.

I'll stay away from the arrow keys until its fixed ;)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Rendering Glitch

I was putting together a video which had not that many elements which was running smooth throughout the process. Mind you we are running these programs on iMac Pros so it should not be a problem. The video in total was about 2min & 2sec. The problems started to arise when I started to render through Adobe Media Encoder. The render itself took about 35 to 45 mins which is odd. With the number of elements running on the video plus the iMac it’s also running on should not take that long. While rendering I was scrubbing back and forth…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. workspaces corrupt preferences

Nearly every time I encounter a bug, it's due to work spaces. It's the single most corruptible aspect of AE. The default spaces are terrible. Worse, I go though time and effort to tweak my setup and ultimately have to blow away prefs when something like ram preview or playback becomes broken, due to corrupt preferences.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. RAM Preview Broken

In the latest update, RAM preview is broken. It will cache frames but never finish or get stuck locking existing frame. even when cached, playback is not working. I have to scrub everything right now. I've reset the RAM preview pane state but same results.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. After Effects freezes when importing a single image

Using CC2019 (latest version but problem exists longer):

When importing a single image via the After Effects import dialog, After Effects freezes. Dragging and dropping works fine (and is what I do in the meantime), as well as importing image sequences.

Sometimes After Effects recovers after some minute of freezing, sometimes only Task Manager can help to close the program.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dividing by zero in Expressions.

Have anything divided by zero, default to zero value instead of undefined.

In expressions when you divide by zero, it causes the expression to break. it would be cool if AE was smart enough to ignore this and just pretend that anything divided by zero had the value of zero. so we don't have to put if/then statements into our code to avoid this.

an example is if you are using expressions to keep the stroke of a shape layer constant as it scales. the expression looks somewhat like this.

stroke/scale/100

if scale is zero, it breaks, but if the…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Essential graphics panel drag and drop does not work

When I drag and drop an text layer eg. into the panel I see the blue edge, but it is not added. I tried with several different layers.

This happened with the latest update.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Custom shortcut remapping fails to work

I tried to remap some shortcuts and I noticed that if you remap "select next/previous effect" to UP/DOWN arrow keys that it just doesn't do anything. This happened to me before with remapping normal blending mode to alt+shift+D and some other combination as well, but I can't remember which one. And I always make sure that there's not another shortcut that has priority.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. After Effects Crashes When Moving Timeline Tab

I've been encountering a bug over the last two updates where periodically, if I try to move a tab in the timeline when I have a number of them open, it just flat crashes After Effects. This didn't use to be an issue and it's been downright awful recently.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. BUG Auto save is crashing Windows 10. - maybe Wacom related?

Maybe it is a wacom driver conflict?
    If Auto save starts while mouse is being pressed, or dragged or selecting, it crashes machine completely. Needs sorting!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. [16.1.3 Bug]? Freezing with macOS Mojave

Bug report:

Some worrying behaviour with the latest Adobe After Effects Version 16.1.3 (Build 5).
    AE Process may stop responding while doing something intense, tracking in Mocha AE or saving a project.
    Saving work may become impossible or saving may take something up to 40 minutes!
    Also, iMac OS may become unresponsive needing to hard reset your Mac - losing a lot of work. A couple of times iMac has rebooted itself after freezing.
    When this happens both CPU and GPU loads are nothing alarming. RAM is not filled either.

Projects are 32-bit, linear. Using Metal GPU acceleration.

I thought…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Extractor BUG, 2019

with the new update of AE 2019, whenever we are using extractor on exr passes, extractor is not going away, so at the end of the project we end up having like 55 extractor menus open on the second monitor, which is a bit funny. please fix, thanks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. BUG: localeCompare() immediately crashes After Effects!

Typing localeCompare() into any expression immediately crashes After Effects!

This also occurs with the majority of autocomplete options for "locale".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. BUG__expression editor is unusable

When alt clicking a property on a layer to add an expression the editor box because super tall with the cursor stretching the entire size of the editor. Because of this you cannot see what you are typing or select the text. Anything you do is completely imperceptible until you hit enter on the number pad. Once you do that you can see what you typed, but as soon as you go back in to make a change the editor because impossible to use. I tried contacting support, but they were unable to comprehend what the issue was even after…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. CRITICAL: Cannot launch After Effects since update to 2019

Cannot launch After Effects since update to 2019! After Effects crashes the second I launch After Effects. I log the crash report through the Adobe dialog that appears then After Effects displays the splash screen saying it is initialising MediaCore but never gets past this. Premiere Pro and Media Encoder work fine.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. string memory leak

Everytime I close after effects, I get a Sting Memory Leak error. I've seen others post it but not how to fix it. Only suggestions to log the bug.

This is with version 16.1.2

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. After Effects error: string memory leak ( 83 :: 2 )

Mac OS X Mojave

IMACPRO
    2,5 GHz Intel Xeon W
    64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

AEcc 2019 latest update

Sometimes this error appears on closing After Effect, I saw many other people experiencing this problem in the past and hoped this problem was already solved, but it seems this error is still there. Any idea if it will be solved?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. protected region can't use continuous rasterize

Is this where to do bug reports? Whatever, this is where I'm doing it.

Create an animation in a composition, somewhere in the middle. Create a protected region there. Also create a master property. In my case I added fill and added the color.

Now insert that into another composition. Hit play. Should work ok.
    Now hit continuously rasterize.
    You Should get an error that AE needs at least 2 frames to play back.

Honestly, this Sort of makes sense. I want to continously rasterize the vector graphics from there, but since I'm changing the color, it shouldn't work? It's…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base