After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. No preview playback under 5 fps

In After Effects CC2020 (Windows 10), I get no playback when I set the preview frame rate below 5. At 5 fps the preview works, anything below it doesn't.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ram preview still doesn't work

Ram preview has been broken since you overhauled it in what 2016? Still doesn't work. Wth?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ridiculously slow and laggy interface

I almost can't work in it. Third party effects are useless and the overall responsiveness of After Effects 202 is terrible. If I didn't keep getting the ridiculous drawing error in the 2019 version, I'd be using it. You HAVE to fix this issue fast. Your application is almost useless right now. People are going to switch. Right now, I totally regret upgrading to CC 2020.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Error 37::3 + Error 37::13

it would be great if i could save the project, so I don't loose everything I did because of this combination error.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. After Effects Suddenly Quits when manually typing numbers into current-time display box

After Effects Suddenly Quits when manually typing numbers into current-time display box. This bug has been plaguing me for over a year now on multiple different computers (all macs), multiple updates of After Effects. When I enter manual timecode into the current-time display box in the upper left hand corner of the timeline, After Effects will often suddenly quit. This happens very regularly. It happens to me on macs I've used at offices. It happens on my old computer, it happens on my laptop, I just bought a new computer and installed a fresh version of the latest program and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. There's a bug - when you add a horizontal guide, performance slows way down. Hiding them improves it. Very weird!

There's a bug - when you add a horizontal guide, performance slows way down. Hiding them improves it. Very weird!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Still can't use 4K monitors with AE

We are up to v16of this program and I am still unable to use my 4K monitors to the fullest (or close to it) because I get random black vertical lines on my timeline when scrubbing or previewing, and also RAM preview does not work. It just won't preview in real time.

I have to set my monitors to the Windows recommended scaling of 200%, which makes everything bigger, but I would like to set it to 150%-175% to have more real state. I think this is something that should get attention as i'm pretty sure many people have this…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bug Report: masks in AE 2019

Whenever I edit a mask, the mode goes from add, subtract et al to none. This happens with every project and is massively frustrating. I'm using the latest version of AE on Windows 10, i9 9900k, 64GB RAM and a 980ti. Here's a link to a screen recording of the glitch https://www.csmotion.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2018-12-06_10-57-18.gif

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report, and for providing a screen recording of the problem in action.

I do not reproduce this problem on my computer, so I suspect this problem is configuration-specific.

Have you tried resetting the preferences for After Effects? To reset the preferences for After Effects, do either of the following:
    - (Preferred) Choose Preferences > General > and click on Reveal Preferences in Finder (macOS) or Explorer (Windows). Then quit After Effects and move the parent folder of these files (the version number, ex. 16.0 or 15.1) to your desktop. If this step helps, you can try moving your individual preference files back one at a time, or if does not resolve the problem, you can move the entire folder back.
    - Hold the Option (macOS) or Alt (Windows) key while launching After Effects.

One thought that occurs to me: when modifying a mask in…

9. After Effects brush bug

After Effect's pen pressure for the brush isn't compatible with the latest Wacom tablet drivers. I've seen this topic a lot in the Adobe forums, but it seems that Adobe has not yet addressed this issue.

In the attached picture I've selected Brush 19. When Size is set to Pen Pressure (as in the photo), I can only draw those very thin and almost invisible lines on the left. When the Size is set to Off, I can only draw those two thicker lines in the middle. This seems to be a common issue in AE with no fix yet,…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Huge Perfomance Problems with after effects

Since the Update to Adobe CC2019 we have huge perfomance issues with After Effects, every slight render takes forever and even the smalles actions are lagging and dont perform well at all. We got HP Z440 Workstations with Intel Xeon E5-1620 v4 @3.50 Ghz, 64 GB of RAM and an nVidia Qadro M2000 GPU. The interesting thing is that the pc isnt stressed at all, we got 60 gig RAM reserved for AE but it uses only 4 – 6 at a time.Any else got this problem and hopefully a soltion?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Unable to interact with other programs

I work on multiple PCs where this has happened. There are some times when I'm working in CC2019 that I'll try to interact with another window (a Chrome window, Premiere, etc) and won't be able to. I will only be able to interact with After Effects. The only way for me to fix this is to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL. After that, I have functionality in all my programs again. This only seems to happen when I'm using After Effects. None of the other programs do this.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Faulty composition preview

I was working on a project today when the preview window of my composition went completely blank, when I moused over the layers of my composition, the bounding box appeared but the artwork was not viewing. I recall having this problem before and its clearly frustrating to say the least. Several hours of work have been lost.

I reset the preferences with command shift and alt and the composition still won’t view. Other compositions will show. Its just this one that is faulty. I will have to incrementally save from now on to prevent this issue becoming a minor disaster

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. RAM Preview

RAM preview isn't working today. Cache and database are empty, yet when I hit space bar all I can hear is the music, nothing happens with the animation. And no, Caps Lock isn't on. I'm sure it's just a matter of the new update rendering my fully-speced 2017 iMac useless, but it would be good if I could get another year out of it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Can you please test and confirm if NVIDIA 940MX is supported by After Effects?

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Device: GeForce 940MX/PCIe/SSE2
    Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 391.25
    Total Memory: 3.96 GB
    Shader Model: 4.0 or later

CUDA
    Driver Version: 9.1
    Devices: 1 (GeForce 940MX) (unsupported)
    Current Usable Memory: 3.33 GB (at application launch)
    Maximum Usable Memory: 4.00 GB

It is showing that it is unsupported but my processor is starts running once I open After Effects. Could you please test and confirm if this is supported by After Effects?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

What type of support are you requesting?

After Effects supports Nvidia, AMD, and Intel graphics chipsets for Mercury GPU acceleration. (Enabled in Project Settings > Video Rendering and Effects.) We have not specifically tested or certified the GeForce 940MX chipset, but it should meet requirements. If you can not set the project to use Mercury GPU Acceleration (CUDA), install the latest drivers from the Nvidia web site. (This is assuming that you are using Windows. CUDA is not supported by After Effects on macOS, but Metal and OpenCL should be available.)

The Ray-traced 3D renderer (Composition Settings > 3D Renderer) has been deprecated as of After Effects 16.0 and will be removed in a future release. We no longer certify cards for compatibility with this feature, and recommend that you use the CINEMA 4D renderer instead.

15. Bug Report: AE crashes each time I open a project converted from an older version

I get the rainbow death wheel on my Apple laptop and need to force quit AE. When it occasionally works, the program won't save or export anything through the render queue. This only happens in projects that were overwritten from previous editions of AE.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. [Crashing Report] After Effects crashing after any modifications on project

After doing any modification on any layer, specially on effects (more specifically: stroke effect), after effects crashes then comes back with no modification made.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. AE 2019 Crashing entire computer on startup

I don't mean I have to force the software closed. I mean the mouse cursor stops moving and the computer becomes completely unresponsive. This is the only software that manages to crash so hard I have to resort to holding the power button and forcing a shut down. Which could very possibly corrupt anything else that happens to be open at the time.

I'm on Windows 8.1 with a laptop that is running on Intel graphics (no video card). It often alerts me that the graphics display driver crashed on launch, but recovered. Once in a while the entire computer…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We really appreciate your post, however, User Voice is primarily for feature requests and bug reports. It appears your issue is more of a troubleshooting problem which could be solved more easily by our support team. You can open a case with them via call or chat at this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Please note that Windows 8.1 is not supported for the October 2018 update to After Effects CC (version 16.0). The minimum OS requirement for After Effects 16.0 is Windows 10 version 1703, or macOS 10.12, or later. Full system requirements can be found here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/system-requirements.html

18. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug report.

We need more information to be able to investigate this problem. Can you please provide us with a project file that causes this error, as well as a System Info report? (Apple menu > About This Mac > System Report, then File > Save)

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

19. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bug

Not able to use certain files after upgrading to 15.1.1. h264 quicktimes mostly. I rolled back to 15.0.0 and everything works as it should.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

We would like to examine one or more of the files. Would you be willing to share them with us? If you prefer not to post them publicly, you can send a link (no attachments) to aebugs@adobe.com.

Also, please tell us which application or device wrote these files.

The April 2018 release of After Effects CC (version 15.1) no longer supports legacy QuickTime processes:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/quicktime7-support-dropped.html

H.264 is still a supported codec for After Effects 15.1, including inside of a QuickTime container file. However, some applications can write QuickTime files (regardless of codec) using features of the QuickTime format that could only be read by using the now-removed legacy QuickTime processes, and such files can no longer be supported natively in After Effects. We have also encountered QuickTime files where the header data was not written to specification, which After Effects could not…

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base