After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. RAM Preview not real time on MacBook Pro M1 Max

I'm currently having to use After Effects 2021 instead of 2022 because 2022 will not RAM preview in real time. I'm running a brand spankin' new 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max with 64GB Unified Memory & 4TB of space. The system is screaming fast so this AE issue is evidently a bug. Please fix as soon as possible Adobe because AE 2022 looks amazing and I'm dying to dive in.

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

23 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

Thank you all for your feedback on these playback performance issues. As you may have seen, the latest update to After Effects 2022 ( 22.3 ) brings native support for Apple silicon to the release version. While we are not considering this playback performance issue fixed yet, but we do need some clarity around the exact conditions that can cause the playback performance to degrade, given that it appears to have originally been reported against After Effects running under Rosetta. With that in mind, please do the following:

If you have been running into slow previews while using After Effects 22.2.1 or earlier on Apple silicon under Rosetta, please update to 22.3 and see if the playback issues persist when you run After Effects natively. Let us know with a comment whether you continue to see any playback issues when running After Effects natively or under Rosetta.

If…

2. Kill after effects. it's done and dying, and no computer can run the buggy, leaky, bloated mess any more.

I have a workstation- it is not a beast.
    I was working with several layers of 6k anamorphic footage in 2016 without buffering.

fast forward to 2022. I can barely mask 1080p footage without making coffee while it buffers for 3 minutes.

the solution? just... make a new one. invest maybe a few million of those 15.79 billion in profits last year to making new, performant, decent software.

I'm not disparaging adobe for making money or being profitable. I'm unhappy because adobe is running a service, and the implication of providing a service is that said service is provided.

https://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects.html

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Resolve Viewport Screen Tearing on Windows Devices.

Upon testing and asking around forums, seems multiple users have this issue.

After Effects on Windows has screen tearing in the viewport which makes working a headache.

This appears most often with UHD devices with refresh rates of 60hz comprising of an Intel/Nvidia configuration but have heard from some desktop users that they have this issue as well (Intel/Nvidia configuration).

This is not isolated to a single version of After Effects, with Adobe support I have tested 17x-22.3 and the issues still persist.

This issue is more apparent on internal Laptop screens than on external monitors. However, the issue is…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Text layers slow down essential graphics

Hi there,
    I'm researching performance issues with mogrt files for the Danish National Broadcaster.
    We've implemented most of their branding in a git versioned master project and export our assets to all systems from this master project using a jsx script for ci/cd and deployment of mogrts, alpha-renders etc.
    In this process we have discovered a dissapointing fact about masterproperties on text layers.
    It seems that when an essential text property on a layer is set to a different value than the default from the source comp, it slows down rendering considerably.
    When previewing or rendering the source comp it…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Composition view jittery scrubbing

In AE 22 (works fine in 21) whenever I scub the timeline, ie scubing forward, the viewport shows frames jumping around, it shows the next frame, then 20 frames earliier, then the next frame again and so on. It plays back properly, it's just during scrubbing. I noticed that the solution to this is to sync the current working res to the zoom level, so ie:
    - Full res 100% zoom - scrubs fine
    - Full res 50% zoom - jittery
    - Half res 50% zoom - scrubs fine
    - Half res 100% zoom - jittery
    Anyone else experiencing this…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. M1 Native After Effects becomes sluggish after periods of inactivity

First, big thank you to the AE team for the Apple Silicon native version After Effects. On the whole, it's much much faster and it has been a pleasure to work with so far. Big thumbs up from me.

I'm writing to report something that feels like it could be a bug. Strangely enough, I've noticed that after periods of inactivity, going away from my computer, After Effects becomes extraordinarily sluggish. The UI feels as though it lagging behind a good 1 to 2 seconds and the timeline becomes just as laggy.

The fix is simple. Re-start After Effect and…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Issues with Fonts

I know this has been brought up by other users in some other forums, but I want to second and reiterate this occurrence - there is serious issues with sluggish performance in after effects with fonts, particularly when using fonts in projects that are not cloud/adobe font based. In some cases, projects freeze for 10-15 seconds on retyping a 10 character word in a text box. Across multiple text-heavy projects for client schedule demands, it's becoming a major issue.

Some people have provided workarounds, like resetting the font of a project entirely with a script, but in not all cases…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this report.

The After Effects team is aware of the problems you describe, that using certain fonts can cause the UI to slow down. The issue is currently under investigation.

I don't have a solution or additional workarounds for you, but I can tell you what I understand so far. (Apologies to any of my developer co-workers who read this and think it inaccurate. This is only my layman's take on what I've read from your work.) The problem is rooted in the code that produces the individual glyphs that will eventually be drawn on-screen. We've discovered there are two related issues that could be happening, depending on the font you use:

• The glyph table in the font is constructed incorrectly. This case seems to cause the font code to go into loops that slow down the UI. While we can't fix the bad fonts, we…
  9. Saving is slow, but fast when clicking outside After Effects

When you save a bigger project it looks like the saving process takes forever or even very long. We found a simple workarround - clicking outside After Effects - and snap - the file is saved. You can click on the windows Icon or in another programm. Whe you have Autosave every 5 minutes like we have its a time saver. It looks like AE do to many draw calls here or something that is only done when the application is in the foreground. Please check this problem. It exists since 2018!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Multi-frame Rendering Stops Working

[AE 22.1.1 (Build 74)]

About 2/3'rds of the way multi-frame rendering seems to stop working when rendering my project. Initially it renders around 10 - 13 frames at the same time. This then drops down to only rendering 1 frame at a time (sometimes going up to 2 frames, but then down again to 1). Nothing in the project changed. This happens during the actual render. Seems this thread (https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/help-with-multi-frame-rendering/m-p/12603954#M189246) is experiencing like-wise behavior from AE. Definitely think this is a bug, so really not gonna waste time trying to re-install, etc as the thread above have tried…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Interface is Slow and Laggy

Dear Adobe,

Me again.

Please stop everything that you're doing with the development of new bells and whistles and doodads and put all your resources and firepower into resolving the years-old issue of the Slow and Laggy Interface in After Effects. Seriously. It's been YEARS. I kept thinking, "ah, they'll fix it soon.." and hope for the best and I end up feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football every time a new update for After Effects comes out. "Maybe they fixed it!" And it's still not fixed.

When I contact Support I'm told, "the issue that you…

241 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. After Effects error: Keylight out of memory. (4) (25::241)

After Effects error: Keylight out of memory. (4) (25::241)

Keylight (1.2) Playback error, Pops up after every play and pause action

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. After latest update I can't even move a shape layers without it pinwheeling...

After last update After Effects pinwheels just moving shape layers. The entire comp is nothing but basic shape layers and yet any slight move or adjustment to them results in the pinwheel having to tick every single time for a second or more. I'm about to downgrade because this is untenable, but I shouldn't be surprised at this point. I'm on a brand new topped off 16" M1 MacBook Pro Max with latest Monterey.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Roto Performance Abysmal

I don't understand why when I have 128GB, and 18 core processor, and a RTX 2080TI with 12GB of video ram that rotoscoping a 4k clip thats 10 seconds long, the performance drags down so much I have to wait 20 seconds to be able to add a add/subtract roto brush mark.

I look at my computer usage and After Effects is barely using 5% of my cpu and gpu.

The rendering of the frame not to mention the propagation takes SO long on a complicated roto, it's barely usable in my opinon.

Adobe PLEASE bump up CPU/GPU usage for…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for filing this. Could you please try the latest release of After Effects? The most recent release from last week was After Effects 22.4.

In the past few months there were some bugs where workspaces would not save correctly when restarting After Effects. Apologies for the disruption As of 22.4, all the bugs around this issue that we're aware of have been fixed.

If you're still experiencing a problem, please reply here with more detail so we can investigate. We will need to know:

1. What exact version of After Effects you're using.
    2. What OS you're using.
    3. Any error messages you're receiving.
    4. A description of the behavior. i.e., The steps that you take so we can follow and determine where the problem is.
    5. Screenshots or screen recordings are super helpful for error messages or before/after states.
  16. Automatically clean disk cache

After Effects should automatically clean the disk cache, removing the oldest cached frames / information as needed to ensure the cache isn't filling to the maximum unnecessarily.

Currently I have 1TB dedicated to my disk cache and have to purge it weekly. This is frustrating because not all of the items should be purged, and removing items selectively isn't currently practical.

Thank you for your consideration of this idea.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Projects from previous version of AE opening like molassess in 2022

AE version: 22.1.1 (Build 74)
    Mac OS: Big Sur 11.6.2

I'm trying to open some AE projects that were created in the 2021 version of AE, and it takes on average 10-15 minutes to open them. Once they're open, I can't get a single frame of the composition to appear in the main window. This has effectively blocked me from doing any work in any of these projects, and since I can't roll back to the previous version of AE (which would block me from opening these projects entirely), I'm not really sure what else I can do.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Multi frame rendering having trouble with cached frames

Hi
    this already happened a couple of times.
    I leave the comp for some time - the bg mfr rendering kikcs in - the green cache bar fills up.
    When it's done i go to the beginning of the comp hit Space (or 0 - doesn't seem to matter) and the playback starts properly in the native project framerate.
    Suddenly at some point of the timeline playback stops, and it seems these frames get rendered again - they are still cached - green bar and everything - but the CTI seems to go as if it's rendering one by one.…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Optimize layered videos.

just, watch the attached video. There's no reason for a moving plate to be hundreds of times easier to compute than a still one. How many optimizations are so niche that they actually hurt performance overall? I get it, an optimized program will no doubt not always have the same efficiency on one frame as another, but this is just silly.

This is the reason my old compositions were all lagging. They all... had un-transformed video files in them. in what world is it less efficient to not calculate movement?

They're the same video, and when they're on top of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. BUG REPORT: RAM Preview gets slower over time (AE 22.3.0)

Ram preview gets slower overtime (caching/rendering) and then even stop or slows to a crawl. Would have to restart it to then have it go fast then gets slower overtime. Rinse Repeat. This has to be some sort of bug. My system is pretty powerful. Uploaded a video showing the sympton.

Specs
    AE 22.3.0 (MFR - ON)
    Windows 11 (lastest)
    AMD 5950x
    Gigabyte Vision D B550 Motherboard
    128 GB Ram
    2TB NVME (Cache)
    Nvidia 3090 with lastest Drivers

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)