After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

How can we improve After Effects?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Full program multi-threaded support

After Effects would benefit greatly from being able to actually utilize all cores when rendering, rather than having to rely on a third party solution, like the excellent program Render Garden by Mekajiki.

723 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

249 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Disk playback instead of RAM,

I get that 20 years ago hard drives weren't the quickest and there was a limited choice in codecs so it made sense to playback from RAM. But now we all have SSDs and DNxHR exists I don't get why AE has not been re-written to playback straight from a hard drive rather than moving it into RAM first. It would be great for AE to playback from disk with a choice of codec and bit depth dependent on a users needs and system capability, much in the way that Resolve does with smart cache (see pic). Uncompressed I gather…

113 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. BUG: Undo not updating viewer window until move viewer or zoom

When you undo currently then the viewer doesn't update. The bounding box of what has been undone moves into place but the image doesn't update until you move or zoom into the image

Running AE 16.1

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Camera Lens Blur Effect : GPU Accelerated Please!

I use the Camera Lens Blur effect often, because it's awesome for creating realistic Depth of Field- when you plug a depth matt into it.
    This can be a Zdepth pass from a 3D renderer, or you can just paint one up in Photoshop to use on motion tracked matt painting work.
    Or mock up a simple instagram 'tilt-shift' treatment with a couple masks in a precomp (attached 4k example AE Project)
    It's the most sophisticated spatial blur in the AE toolbox, and it is super CPU intensive!
    Vote this up to get on the list of GPU accelerated Effects…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. There's a bug - when you add a horizontal guide, performance slows way down. Hiding them improves it. Very weird!

There's a bug - when you add a horizontal guide, performance slows way down. Hiding them improves it. Very weird!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. AE CC 2019 Slowing down [Windows]

There is an issue where After Effects will slow down after having the program open for a while. Purging the cache doesn't work and the only solution is to quit and re-open it. The issue occurs on heavy projects or very simple projects with minimal layers.

This issue seems to only be on Windows as I haven't experienced this on Macs.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Multi-GPU support for Mercury engine.

Modern desktops & laptops often got more than one GPU. Currently there's no way to utilize more than one of them.

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Interface slowdown when using multiple expressions

Following up on Tim's request to post individual feature requests from Sander's site here....

http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/expressions#faster-interface

Expressions and coding are some of the most powerful tools AE animators have at their disposal, so the fact that using them has such a negative impact on performance is truly disappointing and counter-intuitive.

Sander:
    "The interface slows down drastically when applying lots of Expressions, Code allows us to easily create complex animations and connect values. This is the highest on my list of improvements that After Effects can make."

75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. AE CC 2019 Speed on Mac

Just updated to After Effects CC 2019 V16.0.0. MacOS High Sierra, latest iMac with enough of RAM and supported GPU. Preferences resetted. CC 2018 works like charm without speed problems.
    Anybody else experiencing a total slowdown of the UI with the new AE version?
    Everything feels like frozen and AE is practically useless.
    Sorry, cannot work with this. Returning back to CC 2018.

If this is not a general fault, any bright ideas what to do? Please...

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bug report: After Effects2019,2017,(&Premiere, Encoder) ProRes export issue

PRORES (4444 and 244) Export as a wrong format despite the setting:
    E.G"
    Export Seting:
    Quicktime, 7680x4320 PRORES4444 RGB+ millions colors that makes 10sec- 3GB

However,
    export as:
    Quick time 7680x4320 PRORES4444 RGB+ Trillions colors that makes 10 sec - 25GB

Share link for Test Projects: https://adobe.ly/2Y49j5r

This symptom continuously occurs up to VERSION 16.0.1 (Updated 20MAR 2019)
    Tested on;
    Windows10
    MacOS High Sierra V 10.13.6

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. cryptomatte plugin became unuseble in 16.1 update

cryptomatte plugin became extremely slow. Viewpert takes a long time to update each frame

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. BUG: Sync Settings NEVER WORKS.

Every time I upgrade After Effects to a new version, sync settings fails. Currently trying to upgrade to cc2019 from cc2018. From cc2018 select sync, 'Upload' and get message "Settings are already in sync with Creative Cloud. No synchronization necessary." Open cc2019, select sync 'Download' and get message "There are no settings stored in Creative Cloud for this account. No synchronization was performed." I tried looging out and then back in of the account to no avail. This issue has repeated itself every update cycle.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Can't select straight shape layer lines in viewer/composition window

In the viewer window in after effects: I can't select shape layers that are straight lines. They can be diagonal, they can be square, but I cant select them in the viewer window if they are are a straight line. I've tried it on two other computers, and it's the same result. I've tried centering the anchor point. This makes it time consuming and difficult to animate certain scenes from illustrator.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/wjE7ePm.gif

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. CEPHTMLENGINE

After Effects uses a lot of scriptUI panels and extensions, it might be useful to avoid the CEPHTMLENGINE.EXE to slow down the program.

I have at least 4 extensions open every day as part of my workflow and I just noticed that they slow down after effect's performance.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. True Metal 2 support

In 2015 Adobe said that metal would have improved amazingly After Effects on Mac with 8x faster renders and previews. Now on the settings you can choose Metal instead of OpenCL, but for my results it is at best 5% faster. With Metal 2 released the performance improvement should have been evident but it isn't. It would be amazing if Adobe created an update with a good part of effects fully optimized for Metal (even if not all of them) like they demonstrated in 2015 and with the support of eGPU acceleration on the internal display. I think AE is…

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. master properties

I am still on AE15.1.2 so I don't know if this is fixed already, but:

I made use of the Master Properties in my latest Project.
    It was 3 different subcomps where I used each about 10 times with different text and some other properties.
    My 12 sec animation took around 4hrs to render.

Now I switched back, deleted all Essential Graphics stuff aka Master Properties and made 3x10 Subcomps instead.
    The 12 sec animation then took about 3 mins to render.

Something has to be done about the MPs!
    TYVM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Still can't use 4K monitors with AE

We are up to v16of this program and I am still unable to use my 4K monitors to the fullest (or close to it) because I get random black vertical lines on my timeline when scrubbing or previewing, and also RAM preview does not work. It just won't preview in real time.

I have to set my monitors to the Windows recommended scaling of 200%, which makes everything bigger, but I would like to set it to 150%-175% to have more real state. I think this is something that should get attention as i'm pretty sure many people have this…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bug: UI is glitchy and slow on high DPI monitors

I'm on Windows, using a UHD 4K monitor and running 175% display scaling.

After Effects scales the UI correctly, but the performance of the Timeline panel especially is atrocious. Merely trying to scrub the timeline is very laggy. There are also visual glitches, like vertical black lines, and the playhead not redrawing correctly when using J & K to move between keyframes (the playhead gets disconnected from the line in a redraw glitch). Even doing a RAM preview on a fully cached timeline causes frame drops.

If I use the Windows high DPI settings dialog to override the scaling behavior…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. BUG: Using a 4K monitor results in droping frames from RAM preview

I recently upgraded to a 4K monitor. Now RAM previews consistently do not play back real-time. Changing the resolution of the monitor to 1080p OR resizing the entire After Effects application window to a quarter screen results perfect playback. I've tested this on several other workstations that either have 1080p or 4K monitors and have been able to reproduce this. They all have different graphic cards and plenty of RAM. I've played around changing the MST settings on the display without any changes.

Tested on several versions of:
    Windows 10 Pro
    nVidia 1070's / 1080's
    32 GB Ram

Latest nVidia…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow plug-ins to output values for expressions to reference

Even though the new Javascript engine will evaluate scripts faster, it would still be great if plug-ins made with the SDK could calculate and output data values that can be reference/pickwhipped by expressions.

For example, take the 2d positions of 2 nulls and output in the plug-in UI :

A slider showing distance between them
    2d Point showing the midpoint between the positions
    Angle showing the angle between the points
    Stretch % based on the distance between the points relative to their original distance.

This is a very simple example, but if you're calculating Inverse Kinematics you end up duplicating…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base