After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. sample files

im doing the after effects tutorials.
    But the samples files on "GET STARTED WITH AFTER EFFECTS - REPAIR VIDEO" take 4 hours to download.
    its not my internet, i tried some other tutorials sample files with the same size and they download just fine.

my download speed is 150 mb/s
    upload 300 mb/s

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 360 VR output mismatches 3D edit when input clip has non-2:1 aspect ratio

I'm editing 360 video shot on a Garmin VIRB 360. The footage I'm working with has an aspect ratio of 16:9 and dimensions of 3840x2160. I'm adding some simple 3D shape layers to the scene using the VR Comp Editor's "Add 3D Edit" feature. When I click back to "Open Output/Render" I notice that the object I've added to the panoramic footage does not line up with the output. After struggling with this for a while I tried the same exact same process, but I performed "Add 3D Edit" on footage I had resized to an aspect ratio of 2:1.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. On screen, granular text formatting tools, accessible to keyframes, expressions, master properties, and mogrts.

There are issues with the current text formatting tools, as we all know. All text properties are buried in a single source text property making it difficult to swap out multi-formatted bits of text in mogrts or with keyframes or expressions, etc.

I think the best way to change this is to add on-screen UI boxes to text. Thin boxes you can use to select different pieces of the text in order to separate characters and/or words, in order to attach properties to them. But the properties would be attached to the boxes, not the words themselves. That way you…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Ellipse Path Closing with Trim Paths

There seems to be a bug when working with parametric ellipse paths in tandem with trim paths.

It only seems to occur when the Start or End properties in the trim path are set to 50%, while the other is set to 0%. I've attached a couple videos for reference.

When the ellipse path position is adjusted the ellipse path will occasionally close itself, resulting in an unwanted half-circle. The half circle is a result of the Start property set to 0%, and the End property set to 50%. However, when the values are swapped (Start: 50%, End: 0%) it…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. CC Desktop App reports 2014 installed instead of 2017

CC Desktop app shows 2018 and 2014 installed; whereas in fact 2018 and 2017 are installed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Big Bug: Expressions on Shape Layer FX (with demo video)

Here's a two-minute demo of the bug in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_c6XOWOv-w

...and here's the same thing in text form:

Steps:

1) New Comp ([1000,1000])
          2) New Shape Layer
          3) Effects -> Expression Controls -> Point Control ([100,100])
          4) Change Comp Size ([880, 1230])

Result:

The value of the Point Control CHANGES ITSELF from [100,100] to [88, 123].

As I mention in the video, I'm sure this has something to do with the back-end of how Shape Layers deal with the canvas — and, obviously, Shape Layers aren't meant to have renderable effects applied to them. That said, I can't think of…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting this. At the moment, it’s unclear what you would like to have changed.

The cause of what you are observing is that shape layers always inherit the dimensions of the composition that contains them. Thus, by changing the dimensions of the composition, you are also changing the dimensions of the shape layer.

You will get the same result if you apply a Point Control effect to a solid layer, and then change the dimensions of the solid layer. The coordinate values of the Point Control will scale to compensate.

The result in both cases is that coordinate values are scaled along with the layer so that the any rendered result is proportional to the original. If this wasn’t done, effects wouldn’t appear to scale with the rest of the layer and the result would look “wrong”.

I can see that may not be the result you…

7. 14.2.2

Need to work in 14.2.2 to be compatible with a clients back end. On the CC installer it claims to be 14.2.2 but when opened & running, it states it’s 14.2.1.34. Which is correct?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

After Effects 14.2.1.34 was the last release of the 14.x versions of After Effects CC. (That is, it was the last release of After Effects to be branded as “CC 2017”.)

The version number “14.2.2” was an Adobe-internal label to differentiate a change in the installer package, and was not advertised as a new release.

> Need to work in 14.2.2 to be compatible with a clients back end.

Please clarify this. Since 14.2.1 was the last release, this doesn’t make sense to me.

8. Fix the bugs first

Forget about new idea... fix the bugs first
    Just out of the blue the render queue messes up as nothing opens up when i click to set the output location. It really is making me frustrated.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. On write-on, move CTI to last keyframe of each stroke.

In the paint panel, when you have the write-on option selected, every time you make a stroke and let go, it disappears, because keyframes are added, but the CTI stays at the time of the first keyframe. Instead, make it so the CTI moves to the last keyframe of each new stroke, so the strokes stay visible and it is much more natural to keep drawing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Track Motion Error Calculation

When doing Motion Tracking it would be great to see pixel error value

like in PF Track

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make Ae Comp Size change more flexible, by setting the anchor (like Ps Canvas Size).

Ae assumes that when changing the Comp size, the center should stay in the middle. But there are situations where whe want to extend the comp in one direction. In those cases, selecting an Anchor would be great. Just like in Ps Canvas Size.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Layer Control Pick Whip Does Nothing! (Oversight?)

There's a pick whip icon to the right of the Layer Control UI element (in the effects) but apparently it serves no function whatsoever.
    Either:
    A) The pick whip icon should go so as to not mislead the user.
    B) Better yet, to justify its presence there, expression support should be added to the layer selector, as expected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug.

This is a known problem with the Property Link Pick Whip. The pick whip control is visible on all properties, but it is not usable on properties that can not be animated (i.e., do not have the time-vary stopwatch control to the left of the property name). If the property can not be animated, it can’t have an expression, which is what the pick whip creates.

Layer controls can not currently be animated in After Effects. If this is a feature that you would like to see added, please create a new feature request explicitly for that, so the request is both clear and can be voted on by other people.

14. auto hide bug (mac)

This bug has been driving me crazy! every time i click out of after effects (on the desktop) AE hides itself. So if im trying to drag in footage i have no where to drop. Running all the latest.

I heard adobe is aware of the bug and that it only happens to some people. Even if the fix is a plist delete, anything would be helpful

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. be able to render front view

it would save a lot of tim and work being able to render the frontal view instead of having to render a camera.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Be able to define and use alpha values for colours

It would be really nice to be able to set the alpha value in colour pickers! When using expressions, AE already has the value there as the array for colours is [R, G, B, A], but changing the alpha value doesn't actually do anything to the produced colour.

I know that opacity is already a property, but it could be useful to be able to control opacity through the colour value in addition. For instance, if making a null solid, the colour could be set to [1,1,1,0] from the colour menu and not require the opacity property to be set…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Better edit Source Text

When choose 'Edit value' in the contextual menu of Source Text, we can edit the text on the Canvas. This is not always the most convenient way to edit text. I remember in earlier versions, the text could be edited in a separate popup window. This comes in handy when the text is hidden, or Offset or blurred or whatever.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base