After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a unique identifier to properties (and layers) accessible via the scripting API

When scripting, we sometimes have to be able to "store" a property to do something later with it ;
    For example, very often, scripts use the "comment" property of the layers to store data like this.

The problem is: there are only three ways to get a property:
    - the matchName, but there can be a lot of properties with the same matchName
    - the name, but it can be changed by users, so it is not reliable
    - the index, which can be changed by users too.

This is very problematic, especially for Effects, or Shapes content, and the…

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Search for Comps where Effects are being used.

I would like to type something like effect:Particular or e:Particular into the Project panel search and have it display all the comps where that effect is used.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Possible concatenation bug?

In After Effects, effect("Slider Control")(1).value + "string" can be used to join the number of a slider with a string.

Another way to do this is effect("Slider Control")(1).toString() + "string". Here, effect("Slider Control")(1).toString() returns the slider's value as a string.

However, effect("Slider Control")(1) + "string" always outputs an error.

How is this possible?

effect("Slider Control")(1).toString() clearly returns the slider's value as a string.

How come toString() is not run automatically when effect("Slider Control")(1) is concatenated with "string"?

According to the JavaScript Definitive Guide (https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/javascript-the-definitive/0596101996/re146.html):

"The JavaScript system invokes the toString( ) method to convert an object to a string…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. snap to proportional grid

Snap to the proportional grid just like you would to the regular grid

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 16.1 update rendering bug : 1000% speedup on rendered output

idea? NO. this is a bug report.
    a SHOW STOPPER BUG.

renders are now outputting at 1000% percent of the speed of the comps.

for example: a 5 minute output now comes in around 5 seconds.

PULL 16.1 TILL YOU GET THIS FIXED

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for this bug report.

Can you share a project file that demonstrates the problem? Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

Also, what OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14.3) What is your hardware configuration?

This is the first report we’ve heard of this problem, so we need to understand your project and configuration in order to investigate.

6. Comp Start frame to match data Start Frame on new composition creation

Not all data starts at 1 or 0. You can currently manually alter the Comp Start Frame to match your data in comp settings - which is fine but manual.

It would be even better if when creating your a New Comp from your data it would adopt it's start frame automatically.

For example I have a tiff sequence in my project bin (starting at frame 86400) that I drag the sequence to the 'create new comp' icon bottom of screen to make a new comp. When it appears as a timeline the start frame will have been altered to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Highlight referenced layer

When a layer is used as a reference layer such as in a displacement map but has its "eye" icon turned off, it is not obvious what the layer is being used for if you are trying to break down someone else's project, or are returning to yours after a period of time. Like the track mattes that put an square icon next to a referenced layer, layers that are also referenced using effects as a source should also have some time of demarcation.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. No glyphs?

A glyphs panel would be an amazing addition.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. AE 2019 master properties (with keyframes) causes random glitch

I have builded a template project with the AE 2018 that involves expressions and master properties to animate the properties of the multiple templates in the same comp. It works fine in the 2018.
    When I've imported it in the the AE 2019 it start to glitch and doesn't recognise some keyframe in random way, purge the cash works just temporarily, I have also tried to collapse the properties, but does't work.
    I have had to downgrade the project and to the 2018, but all the comps reset to the default I have to re keyframe all the master properties…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I want to be able to tailor the adjustment layer to a specific layer

I want to be able to apply the adjustment layer only to a specific layer.

I do not want to apply to all the layers below

特定のレイヤーにだけ調整レイヤーの効果を適用させたい。現状だと調整レイヤー下の全てに影響が出てしまう。

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Batch resave

With the recent news that we can't download any old CC apps, there should be a batch resave tool that can save your old project files to the new ones.

It will be a pain ********** to open up all your old project files one by one.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Motion Blur Bug: Motion Blur is randomly on when switches are off

In a large animation project, I have all motion blur switches turned off for all individual layers, sub comps, and master switches within them. When ram previewing, it plays just fine, but when I go to render it puts motion blur on random layers, not all. I have triple checked all layers and effects, adjustment layers, there is nothing that has motion blur turned on, built in, or is forcing it. The only way around it has been to turn off motion blur for all layers in the render settings above the output module.

This is in CC 2019, on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

When exporting via the Render Queue, there is an option in the Render Settings dialog which determines whether or not motion blur will be rendered. By default, the Motion Blur control defaults to On For Checked Layers, which will render motion blur for any layer on which the layer’s motion blur switch is enabled, regardless of the state of the comp’s “master” motion blur switch.

Are you changing this setting in the Render Settings? Does its behavior otherwise align with your experience of which layers do or don’t render motion blur when exported via the Render Queue?

13. loop

ugh have a simple check box that makes footage loop.
    why is this not standard. 209302340982048 people want that and it's like algebra to do this one BASIC VIDEO THING.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Masking 3D text doesn't work in AE 2019

Masking 3D text doesn't work in AE 2019

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bug: Changing file name in File Explorer causes this error "After Effects warning: Project [insert name] doesn't exist"

I'm not sure why, but when I change the file name of my file in Windows 10 File Explorer, I'm unable to open the file through File Explorer and get a "file doesn't exist" warning.

To open the file, I have to go through the AE interface>File<Open Project.

There are no special characters in my file name.

Running up to date Windows 10 and After Effects CC v 15.1.2.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow us to override embedded color profiles on imported footage

When working in color-managed linear space, when you have an item of footage with an embedded color profile (in the "interpret footage" window), there's no option to override it - the popup of other Profiles is grayed out. This is incredibly annoying when you eg. have supplied footage that is Log, but for some reason has an embedded (or interpreted) profile of REC709. We should always be able to override the default embedded color space in the interpret footage window and assign a new color profile. Applying color profile effects to the layer in a composition is a poor workaround,…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Videos export darker than project

Every time I export from AE, the videos come out about 10-15% darker than the original. I've tried many different export settings with the same results. If one were to take a video, put it in AE, export it with a rewrap, take the exported video, put it in a new comp, and repeat this several times, the results become very obvious. It's exporting darker every time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support CUDA Acceleration, for GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP Edition

Hello, I need help since it says in my program (After CC 17) that my video card is not supported (Ge Force GTX 1060 AMP Edition).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Language Translator

Introduce a translator from one language to another. This would allow a .mogrt slider to be applied to a text layer that could select other languages (as opposed to manually translating by hand and using a .CSV workflow) for versioning graphics for other countries.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Motion Blur for Animated Masks (like transform motion blurs)

I'd like to have the ability to have motion blur on animated paths, similar to transform motion blurs, to animated paths. It would be a feathered edge.

This is for roto of objects. Currently, we have to roto and then apply RSMB to help with the matte's matching of the motion blur within the underlying footage.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base