After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

How can we improve After Effects?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Control timeline properties from the effects panel - Effects panel to Properties panel

Camera layers, Lights, Sound, these layers will never have effects applied to them, why would we display an empty effects panel and waste AE screen real-estate, while it could be the perfect place to control the properties for these layers?

Think about other properties like shape layers for example and how easy it would be to just control their properties in the effect/properties panel!

Here is how that could work: http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/effects#property-controls

242 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cel Animation Workflow

Animate and Photoshop are great tools for cel animation but both lack the usability for modern motion design workflows that After Effects would provide. Adding support for photoshop-style raster animation in After Effects would bring this powerful technique into the right environment, and add features useful for unrelated workflows.

To solve this, I propose the addition of a new Frame Paint Effect, which would would enable a fast, non-parametric way to paint into an effect. It would work like this:

Photoshop brush engine
    - Painting pixels not strokes.
    - Focus on speed, quality and tablet pressure/tilt support, NOT editability.
    -…

116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Shape Layer Repeaters with Selectors (the kind in text animators)

Shape layers could really use some love. I propose that the same way we add selectors and properties to Text Layer animations, should be used for Shape Layer Repeaters.

Draw a square, repeat it 10 times, now add a range selector with position and scale. think of the cool mograph type effects you could create with that system, The best part, is that Shape Layers and Text Animators are practically cousins, so I don't think it would be to hard to implement.

Bonus would be to also have the same path options that Text layers have as well, imagined if…

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Gradient Along a Stroke of a Shape Layer

Would love to be able to make the stroke of a Shape Layer a gradient. Even if it was just a two-color gradient from one end to the other, that would be great. If it could be RGB and Alpha, even better! The gradient could be oriented from one end of the spline to another, or along the width of the stroke.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to mute Keyframes

In C4D you can 'mute' keyframes - essentially this acts like deleting the keyframe except that a dummy 'reference' key is left there, perhaps greyed out, that stores the value(s) and interpolations it had before it was muted. Keyframes to either side behave exactly as if it was not there, until it is un-muted.

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Parent keyframes to markers

A way to parent multiple keyframes to layer markers would be fantastic. For example, having several animations that use multiple properties with different start points across a number of layers, it becomes laborious to adjust all of the timings quickly. Moving a layer marker and adjusting all of the keyframes, while keeping the timing the same between them, would be very handy! The plugin Animation Composer from MrHorse has this functionality already, but you can only do it with the set animations within the plugin.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow muting keyframes of a specific parameter

Mute/deactivate the keyframes of a specific parameter, ie. the position parameter of a certain layer. The keyframes would still exist, and possibly still be visible in the timeline, but they don't affect the composition while muted.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Simple Modifier to Easing - More Ease or Less Ease

F9 and Shift F9 (I have set to easy-ease in/out) is the most used key on my keyboard. How about Instead of opening curve editor and clicking and dragging to modify the ease-in and out, you just press it again, to incrementally add a little more ease, and maybe have a modifier key to subtract a little ease. Easy enough right?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Modernize the "Numbers" effect

The Number effect is now practically useless, considering it stops at 30.000. It would be nice to have a quick and easy way to make counters with separtors (like in "1,000,000,000", it's kind of annoying having to use an expression for this). Same problem goes with the "time" option : you're pretty much screwed if you need a 1 hour countdown for example.

I know this can be done with expressions, but it would be nice to have an advanced Numbers effect built in !

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. FFD: Free Form Deformation

In most 3d programs (3dsmax, c4d...maya) there is an FFD tool that allows you to set a cage that causes deformation when the affected object passses through it. the cage position is independent of the object. This allows you to deform the object as it passes through the cage--picture a thick viscous fluid squeezing to fit through a funnel and then regaining its former shape once out of the funnel. Pixels are affected as they pass through the cage.

Current options like puppet and mesh warp's positions are tied to your object and cant achieve this same effect.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. features removed

It is beyond me why Adobe would remove features. In the least there should be an easy work around, and not force you through hoops (re-installing old versions, encoding multiple times, etc.). These are features I have been using for 20+ years and to suddenly remove them is very disruptive. At least provide a conversion app. I think Adobe and Apple are still not getting along.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Separate the timeline and the curve editor

It would be really helpful to be able to animate seeing both at the same time...

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Insert or remove time at Current Time Indicator

Back in the Flash days, you've had put the current time indicator of a certain place in the timeline and hit F5 and it would insert frames and push everything after the current time indicator back in time. Hold shift F5 and it would insert 10 frames at a time, pushing everything back in time after the current time indicator. To me it's unbelievable that after effects has no support for inserting or removing time within a timeline. Many times I've had clients want to insert or remove something in a long complicated timeline, and it takes me the whole…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make the shortcuts for Ease keyframes actually work

The 3 keyboard shortcuts to set Easing motion (F9 for EasyEase, ShiftF9 for EaseIn and ShiftCmdF9 for EaseOut) do not work like expected.

E.g. when a keyframe is already Easing in, ShiftCmdF9 results in an EasyEase keyframe, in stead of switching to EaseOut.
    It adds the EaseOut to the EaseIn.

These shortcuts would be of more use when doing what is promised.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. SVG-Animator / Export an Animation in SVG for Web

After Effects needs to have an option to export an Animation as SVG.
    SVG in comparison to GIF has much better quality and smaller File Size.

An option to export animations as SVG would revolutionize everything. For After Effects and Web-Design.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Access bounding box for text animator selectors in expressions

I would like to be able to coordinate external objects with text animations. Specifically I would like to have an arrow pointing at the currently selected line of text. In order to do this I would like to be able to access the bounding box for the selected text inside an expression.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Text animator selector based on Paragraphs

Currently text animators can select based on characters, words and lines. The ability to select by paragraph would be extremely useful for things like slideshow bullet points.

The current workaround involves manually splitting up paragraphs, positioning them, and key-framing them independently. This is quite time consuming.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Onion Skinning with the Brush and Paint tools

With After Effect's versatility, it surprises me that the workflow doesn't lend itself well to any kind of hand-drawn animations.

One of the most simple ways I can think of to make AE more viable is just to allow onion skinning when painting frame-by-frame with the brush tool. As it stands right now I mostly have to guess and hope I got my drawings right.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Restore the full support of the Animation Codec

In the 15.1 release After Effects removed the support for the Animation Codec with delta frames. It continues to support the Animation Codec without delta frames. This is an option within the codec window to set keyframes and it is checked by default. I would ask that both the non-keyframe and the keyframe option in the Animation codec be restored. Many of us 3D animators use the codec in it's default mode (delta enabled) and it would be very time consuming to transcode all out work. Thanks

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this request.

We have logged an internal feature request for adding support to the Animation codec for both encoding and decoding delta frames (a.k.a, the “Key frame every X frames” option). It is currently under review for future updates to the Adobe DVA products. At this time I can not share a timeline for when this might happen.

20. Make layers deform in z axis 3D

I have always found it frustrating that you can not alter a layer in 3D at all.

You can work with a 2D flat video layer but you can not deform it at all in the z axis.

This would add the ability to treat a layer more like a face in a 3d app like Maya. You could add points and move them forward or back in z space like the puppet tool only not limited to x and y values.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base