After Effects crashes when importing a photoshop composition when you have an AEGP file in the plug ins folder.
An AEGP file is necessary to have in the AE plug ins folder to use State Sets with 3DS Max. Unfortunately, having the AEGP folder makes After Effects crash when importing a Photoshop file as a composition.
Christopher Calleton commented
AE version 22.3.0 (build 107) (the issue has been happening for about the last two years of AE updates)
Windows 10, Nvidia Quadro RTX 5000, Driver: Nvidia 3/17/22 version 184.108.40.2065
This happens with any photoshop file imported as a composition every time any way imported.
I'm putting the AEGP file in the AE plug ins folder as the documentation describes to do. (nothing new, been doing this since State Sets creation).
AE freezes and has to be quit through the Task Manager.
I don't know if a crash report is being made, not sure where to find that.
Thanks for your help,
Paul Uusitalo (AE Quality Engineering) commented
Thank you for your report, Christopher.
However this really doesn't give us the details we need to understand and solve your issue.
To get started debugging the issue, we need to know:
0. Which specific version of AE are you using (as shown in the "About After Effects" dialog)?
1. System Specs (Platform, OS, Hardware, GPU, Drivers, etc.).
2. AE Preferences settings (particularly Memory & Disc Cache settings).
3. Specific details about your Project the way you're configuring the AEGP folder, the PS file you are attempting to import, etc.
4. What are the exact steps you are taking from when you launch AE to when the issue occurs?
5. What errors or other feedback are you seeing?
6. How exactly does AE crash? Are you getting the Crash Reporter dialog? Are you submitting your crash reports to our crash reporter system? If so, how might I search for them?
Any detail you can provide here would be a big help.