BUG: Changing color mode on Illustrator file crashes AE
This is a repeatable error in After Effects. It involves changing the color mode on an Illustrator file that is already in and AE comp with Hue / Saturation effect on it.
- Import a CMYK Illustrator file into AE and place it in a comp.
- Put a Hue / Saturation effect on the Illustrator layer in the comp.
- Save the AE project.
- Open the Illustrator file and change the color mode to RGB and save the Illustrator file.
- After Effects will crash, and will crash whenever you try and open the project again. EVEN if you change the Illustrator file back to RGB After Effects will still crash.
- Only way to open the AE file without crashing is then to delete the Illustrator file (or move it to where AE can't find it) before opening the AE file.
John Fenton commented
You are correct. I can not reproduce the crash now. I was able to reproduce it with different files the same day, before I filled this bug report in. There must be another factor I was missing. If I can get it to happen I will report back here.
Thank you for reporting this issue. We unfortunately have not been able to reproduce the crash on either Windows or macOS with the steps provided. Could you provide a bit more information so that we can investigate further:
- What is the version of your operating system e.g. Windows 202H, macOS 12.1, etc?
- Which version of After Effects are you using?
- Which version of Illustrator are you using?
- Does the AI file have a color profile embedded?
- Is there any color management enabled in the After Effects project?
It would also be helpful if you could upload an Illustrator file in CMKY mode which reproduces the issue when imported into AE and switched to RGB. A screen recording of the crash occurring would be helpful as well.
Thanks again for reporting this issue and for any further information,
- John, After Effects Engineering Team