3D preferences keep resetting after restarting application
Every time I go to preferences to turn off 3D Camera Navigation Gizmos the checkbox is checked again the next time I restart After Effects. I'd rather keep the composition markers shortcuts on as my default. Changing my keyboard layout also does nothing as preferences seems to override keyboard layouts.
AE Version 18.2.0 (Build 37)
Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2
Intel Xeon X5670 Dual 2.93GHz Processors
NVIDIA GTX Titan X 12GB
Thank you for reporting this bug. I’m not experiencing this problem on my machine, so I’d like to explore this further with you. Can you please tell me:
What languages are your OS and After Effects are running in?
I’d like you to try resetting the preferences, and if that doesn’t solve the problem, I’d like to get copies of the preferences files in the before/after states. Please follow these instructions:
1. In After Effects, open Preferences > General. Click the Reveal Preferences in Explorer button at the bottom. This will open the folder where the preferences files are.
2. Quit After Effects.
3. In the preferences folder, navigate up one level. This will be the Adobe/After Effects folder and you’ll see folders for each release of After Effects that you’ve used on this machine (18.0, 18.1, 18.2, etc.). Move (don’t copy, just move) the 18.2 folder to your desktop and rename it “My 18.2”. You may want to recover these later. Leave this Adobe/After Effects folder open for later steps.
4. Launch After Effects. It will ask if you want to migrate preferences, choose Do Not Migrate.
5. Quit After Effects and look in the Adobe/After Effects folder from step 3, there should be a new 18.2 folder there. Copy it (don’t move, but copy) it to your desktop and rename it “Fresh 18.2”.
6. Launch After Effects.
7. Open Preferences > 3D and change the options as you desire.
8. Quit After Effects and look in the Adobe/After Effects folder from step 3 again. Copy the 18.2 folder to the desktop again, and call this one “3D options disabled 18.2”.
9. Launch After Effects.
10. Check and see if the options have re-enabled themselves or not. If they have, immediately quit and make another copy of the preferences folder, call it “Problem state 18.2”
11. If the options have not re-enabled themselves, continue working until the problem occurs, and then make the copy of the folder, “Problem state 18.2”.
Please post back here when you have completed these steps. I want to get the three copies of the 18.2 preferences folder, “Fresh 18.2”, “3D options disabled 18.2”, and “Problem state 18.2”. The files aren’t large, but you can zip them up if that’s helpful.
Dan Fredley commented
Actually, after resetting After Effects prefs I haven't had an issue. I am also starting over with a new extensively custom keyboard, which might have caused the corruption issue in the first place with the 3D preference update. I'll let you know if it starts up again. I had gone through the other steps before resetting prefs and saved them out to see if that would work, but I was getting the same behavior. I'll send the files via email just in case you still want to look at them.
Dan Fredley commented
I'm running English OS and English AE.
I followed the steps and the 3d options are still resetting after restarting the application. I have attached the files below.