Change to custom workspace -> CRASH
When changing to a custom workspace, no project open,
AE is crashing.
I thought we got rid of this problem 2 years ago....?!
Andreas Urra commented
Same here. For several weeks I worked in my custom Workspace exclusively. Today I switched to the "Paint" workspace (since you still cannot paint in the "Composition" panel). After going this side route I wanted to switch back to my custom layout and AE crashed. At first I thought it was due to the stacking of Liquify and several Paint effets. But it can be traced down to the Workspace issue. I certainly have "KBar" there and perhaps "FX Console". Not sure about the latter. This is frustrating.
My system is
128 GB RAM
Xeon E5-1650 v4 @3.6 GHz
Geforce 2080 Ti
AE 17.1.0. (Build 72)
FYI, "Liquify" is extremely slow on UHD footage.
RAM Preview won't play realtime on a UHD screen (Win Prefs set to 125% scaling)
Has AE been tested on UHD screens on Windows? The UI is exceptionally slow. You won't notice on 1920 or 2560. But at 3840 it is a pain.
Interesting: UHD RAM preview with tilde key (i.e. the AE UI is involved) is about 12 fps. Doing the RAM preview with the "Full screen" checkbox ticked will be realtime at 25 fps.
The AE UI has some real performance issues.
Thank you for submitting this report. Sorry to see you're experiencing this issue. You are correct, there was a similar bug fixed in a previous version related to workspaces containing CEP panels.
A bit more information would help us to track down the cause of this new issue. Could you please answer the following:
• What OS and OS version are you using? E.g. macOS 10.14.6
• What panels are a part of your custom workspace?
• Is this issue consistent with a particular workspace?
• When the crash occurs, have you submitted a crash report via the Crash Report dialog?
• If you are not using the latest AE 17.0.2, what version are you using and does the issue occur if you update to 17.0.2?
Thanks very much for any additional info,
- John, After Effects Quality Engineering