Make a new start with innovative young people that have some visions for the future!
AE has missed every important innovation or trends in compositing of the last 10 years.
So, change the old team, make a new start and rework the hole core of the old lady! Its already five past twelve!
1) make it multicore (we will get 64 cores very soon!)
2) design a competitive, GPU based 3D engine and workflow with the guys form C4D ... only for "simple" tasks (basic deform/modeling, projection mapping, 3D stereo, point cloud i/o(like VDBs), deep comp, raytrace lighting and shading...) but in real 3D and with all importand i/o options.
3) Rework and open the color management that we can use ACES (CG standard since 4 years) and co. without any troubles.
4) Integrate a intelligent particle system (like trapecode particular but with a node interface.)
5) Give us more manual control over the camera tracker and some i/o options.
We need all that things also in modern motion graphics and my students have already no real interest in AE. If you keep on like in the last 10 years AE will be very soon only a tool for beginners and hobbies.
Stop fixing only little bugs! Have a vision again!