Bug Report: File name and Location Template keeps defaulting to non-existing template
I have found for a few versions of AE that if I make an "Output File Name and Location Template", then delete that template completely and make a new one, that the output will keep using that template that was first made. Even if I just set the most basic "Comp Name" template as the default, it will still go back to using that original template that I made, that I no longer want to use. So each time I go to render, I need to choose a template to get rid of what it defaults to.
Andy Gilleand commented
@Soren Laulainen that fixed it for me!
Still running into this issue as well. And I think I found a fix.
As mentioned before, there seems to be a relationship to which Output Module Template is set as the default when the comp is added to the render queue. This issue only happens when a certain template is selected -- my guess is that it's the OM template that was currently set as the default when the old/non-existent File and Location template was originally created. (See video) Renaming or editing the Output Module template did not seem to fix the issue.
Deleting my existing Output Module template and creating a new one, (which I then set as the default) seems to fix the issue.
Andy Gilleand commented
I'm still getting this in 22.3
I created a custom template, and that worked fine, but then I realized I needed to change it. Changed it, saved it to a new preset, set as default, and now every single time it defaults to an old preset that no longer exists.
A DeVries commented
I am still getting this bug behavior in 18.4.0 - whereas my file and location template defaults to an old custom template that I have long since deleted. Any attempts to make a new template or reset my default is ignored. Weird stuff!
Thank for submitting these reports, I've merged a few duplicates together to keep all the information in one place. Is this bug still occurring for you all in the latest version 18.0 version of After Effects? There have been some improvements and fixes around the projectFolder render token, but it may not have addressed this issue directly.
Thanks very much for any additional info,
- John, After Effects Engineering Team
Could possibly be the same as this issue:
I encountered this bug in After Effects v17.5.0.
Not sure how exactly it gets into the bugged state, but you need to create your own File Name and Location Templates (FNALT). Mine used the "projectFolder" token as well as ..\, "compName", "dateYear," "dateMonth," etc.
When it is bugged, AE will assign the same filename and render location to every comp you add to the Render Queue. It doesn't matter what the comp is named. It doesn't matter which project file you have open. It doesn't matter which FNALT is set as the default. You have to select a different FNALT from the dropdown menu to "fix" the output name/path before rendering each comp.
Upon some investigation, it seems this bug only happens when a certain Output Module (OM) template is being used. Not sure what the relationship is -- it's possible for me this is the OM that was set as the default when I first created my own FNALTs?
After changing the default Output Module to something different, AE starts to use the default FNAL correctly. If I switch back to the first OM, it starts being buggy again. See attached video.
Kasper Henningsen commented
When you have an item in the render queue with "Output To" set to a template that includes [projectFolder], the file will often not render to the correct location.
I have "Projects/one/one.aep". Weeks ago, I rendered this project which outputted video files into the "Projects/one/" folder.
I have "Projects/two/two.aep". In the render queue I have a composition "comp" with "Output To" set to a template "[projectFolder]/[compName].[fileExtension]".
When I now render two.aep, I get the file "Projects/one/comp.mp4", not the expected "Projects/two/comp"
Louise Nylund commented
In Render queue, I have used tokens to set a custom naming convention and file location and marked it to be the default template for exports. It worked for a bit, but after I made some changes to the template, the app choses the old template when I add new comps to Render queue even though the new template is marked as default. I have had your support people troubleshoot, reinstalled the app and even used CC Clean and installed again with a special download link. It worked again for a short while but once I made another template it wouldn't use the new one that was marked as default.