How can we improve After Effects?

Support the HAP codec

The HAP codec, which is massive in the live video industry, is no longer supported.

Please bring it back? It would be very nice.

510 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

279 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HapQ ist in der Zusammenarbeit mit der Bespielung von z.B. Konzert-Visuals ein Codec, auf den wir in unserem Workflow nicht verzichten können und wollen. Zur Zeit benutzen wir in diesem Zusammenhang vorwiegend den alten HAP v9, der auch bei sehr großen Produktionen heute noch von den Mediaservern unterstützt wird. Wir bitten dringend darum, den Support auch noch in den aktuellen und folgenden Adobe Creative Cloud Produkten zu gewährleisten. Dankeschön.

Hi. My studio Swordfish made RenderGarden and we sell it through mekajiki.com. As Chicago GFX guy said below, this is an excellent solution for HAP. RenderGarden will utilitze all of your CPUs, so if you have a 12-core computer it will render your AE comp 3x faster which will hopefully negate the automatic post-processing to HAP. RenderGarden also gives you free network render nodes, so if you have extra computers laying around they can contribute to the initial AE render... so if you have 3 12-core boxes you will render 10x faster than natively out of AE. Give the demo a try and hopefully you will see the benefit. Thx.

• Chicago GFX guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fellow GFX artists,

Solution: https://www.mekajiki.com/rendergarden/

It renders out AE output modules and will convert the resulting video file to HAP HAPQ or HAP Alpha using ffmpeg. Through my recent tests in a project with a a lot of vector art and 3D camera movements, I was able to render out/convert to HAP a 1 minute animation in 27 minutes while continuing to work in the AE project. Rendering the same animation using AE's native render process took 41 minutes and prevented me from actively working on the AE project while the render was processing.

Be aware that playback of the resulting HAP file will not playback correctly within QTs player. Scrutiny of the end result should be done in the app you plan on using or on a Windows machine with a qualifying player. When I opened up an ffmpeg HAP file encoded at 30fps in QT, the app would drop every other frame and playback was limited to 15fps. Perhaps it may have something to do with a 64bit product playing back in a 32bit app. In any case, avoid using QT to scrutinize the end product. It will not play back correctly as compared to a native HAP file from AE, but it does play correctly on the app I use that needs the HAP codec.

If Adobe cannot or will not find a viable solution, aside from directly converting files using the command-line based ffmpeg software, Render Garden is the way to go. It is far better than AE's native render process and shares the ability of "BG Render" as a way to initiate multiple renders while continuing to work in the Ae project. Please pass this along to anyone in need. We are at the mercy of innovation at the moment.

You guys need to hurry up. aftercodecs works well for export (not that we should have to pay for something that should be inside AE) but I can no longer import hap videos which aftercodecs doesn't help with.

• o commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could someone please post on here when Adobe has added some support for HAP?

• Coen Bouman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get after codecs en you're fine :) I voted too to get it natively, but it's not that you'd have to do without right now.

• EH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are in a world of pain right now because of the lack of HAP support. It's so bad, we've started looking at other products. I'd miss After Effects, but at least I'd be able to go home on time.

• Paul R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need native HAP support for adobe products. The Live events industry is begging you to bring it back!!!

• Luis Lucio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey!! We want all the codecs back... For live shows it is not the best solutions the codecs are now in the CC.

• Ed Cilley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know you hear us, but this is vital to a smooth workflow when creating large canvas creative content in AE. Sure we can find some work arounds, but I should be able to use this program and export files and not jump through hoops.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It really comes down to Apple screwing over their Pro customers once again by not supporting Quicktime 32bit in the way that is needed for security on Windows. So, Adobe is reacting to not support an unsupported codec based on Quicktime for which the new OSs on PC and MAC OS does not support. URGH! However, Adobe, we still need this. Please bring it back. We will have to eventually figure out a long term solution, but in the meantime, our industry is melting.....

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SERIOUSLY what is going on at Adobe, a whole industry is waiting on you to fix this and you let months go on by without making this a priority! This really should have been sorted in weeks not months!!

PLEASE bring back HAP. The latest media servers all use it. This is the second time I am backgrading my After Effects in 2 months - the first so I could transcode old files and now so I can create new HAP files!!!!!!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base