How can we improve After Effects?

Full program multi-threaded support

After Effects would benefit greatly from being able to actually utilize all cores when rendering, rather than having to rely on a third party solution, like the excellent program Render Garden by Mekajiki.

681 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

240 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, its 2019 and theres no multicore utilisation?! AMD gets it, Intel gets it, Apple gets it, come on Adobe.

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to add my voice to this thread. I had a simple render today to remove a 3:2 pulldown that I thought would take maybe 20 minutes. I watched as my AE CPU usage hovered between 3 - 8% the entire time, and the render took over 3 hours. I'm curious if this is something that's so embedded in the code that fixing it isn't possible. Here's a thread listing this same issue, written in 2011.

Yeah. Seeing that is kinda depressing.

https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=2&postid=1004428&univpostid=1004428&pview=t

• Peter Labrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous Well that's the problem isn't it. When it was Creative Suite, many people didn't upgrade for each version because even then it wasn't always worth it. There would be a couple of changes to half of the suite. This gave Adobe a real income problem and they fixed it using digital blackmail. They are in a monopoly position with some products and to keep running your business there is no choice, you have to keep paying. I can't afford to stop paying and have CC die on me and they know it.

Maybe it's time we organised some kind of global pay strike. We could all stop adobe payments from going through, maybe then they will listen to their core users that rely on PRODUCTIVITY over stupid little BELLS AND WHISTLES???
        I'm sick and tired of paying $75 AUD, plus foreign transaction fees every single month, and have literally nothing to be excited about when I see an update come up. I'm petrified of even trying CC19 - ADOBE that's just f****** terrible. And I'm not the only one!
        Fix your s*** Adobe! We're paying you.

• Luc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Nicolas Prigent - wow blender is really smashing it. Looks awesome. Ever since big software companies moved to the subscription model, things have stagnated. I think we will enter a new era of free software being used more and more where innovation is being supported and created by the masses rather than greedy corporates... my hope anyway :-)

Anyone else notice that only one question under the "top" and "hot" categories' first page is marked "under review"? What is the AE team even doing all day? I just looked at the Premiere forum where they are running into plenty of issues with the latest update, but at least the Adobe team over there is providing plenty of feedback and interaction with the users...

Y promo - nope didn’t suggest it for motion design. Suggested it for animation. There has to be some merit to it seeing as a lot of the animated network TV shows in the past 5-10 years use it.

• y promo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

oh, no. no, no - no.
        @Anonymous - you didn't really suggest Toon Boom for motion design. just take a look here - a tutorial vid from the past year, link drops you where it starts being relevant:
        https://youtu.be/UKF6Y9nqJ2w?t=335
        this is close to how i would have done it on AE over 20 years ago. the horror.
        today i practically live between shape layers and text layers, and there's no competition.

@Anonymous - interesting, I know of the Toon Boom stuff but not thought of it in that way, thanks. I'll take another look.

Peter, I’m sure you’re familiar with Nuke. For the animation side of it, check out toon boom’s line.

There are pretty strong alternatives to everything in Creative Suite, but not really to After Effects. Of course, it depends on your use case. There are alternative composting tools but I've not really seen anything match After Effects for motion graphics. This is where the downside of Creative Cloud really shows, Adobe says "it funds development" but I'd say "it lets us take our foot off the gas without risk". Personally I would have to be the kind of supplier that buyers resent having to buy. Forums are awash with people moving to (pretty solid) alternatives for various reasons to Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier, Audition, Lightroom - but After Effects has a feature set that basically means we have to bend over and take it.

Blender is no alternative to After Effects as someone suggested. It's a 3D software. Yes you can do compositing but Fusion would be a real alternative. But I guess it depends a lot on what you use AE for. I do mainly motion graphics. If you do VFX then it's another story.

Just some general info:
        I work with AE professionally and I recently upgraded to the following hardware:
        i9 7960X 16cores/32 threads
        64GB RAM
        2080Ti

I used to have a Ryzen 7 8 cores/16 threads.
        I went for the 7960X because the single core speed is still quite high.
        I have seen a major speed increase in my overall use of AE.
        Especially RAM preview which for me is the most important.
        I am noticing zero difference with the 2080ti and my previous 1080.

Once thing I would do is go to 128GB of RAM. The more you can keep in RAM the faster your workflow.

Of course this doesn't solve our issue but I just wanted to report that my everyday work with AE has been really helped out by upgrading to this configuration. I used to scream at AE but not anymore.

Still we need multi-thread support as a lot of processing power is not being tapped in.

I am all for moving to another software but it is quite an undertaking, especially when one is used to a specific workflow. AE is layer based, Fusion is node based. We all have our plugins, etc. I barely manage my deadlines as it is so I don't see where I would find the time to learn a new tool.

Ideas welcome anybody!

And ADOBE, this will backfire someday....

@Tomas Ok just checked out Cavalry and everyone griping on this page needs to google it. It's incredible, and assuming the devs pull through I think this just might be the answer! Lets give them all the support we can.

• Nicolas Prigent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@anonyme blender has 5 full time devs, they reached some days ago the 25000$/months with mostly individual subscriptions. The software features are growing very fast. And I think it's money well spent 😃

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've tried Fusion and its just not designed for motion graphics. Don't think anything node based can really handle motion graphics which needs a timeline. For FX its GREAT, if you like nodes;)

And so far as Blender goes I've also played around with it on the 3D end and though yes it is quite impressive, it is hard for me to take it seriously in a professional pipeline. The main reason being that their developers are volunteering their time, so you can't really rely on much for the future (not that Adobe is particularly inspiring confidence right now...).

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Please do not use your Adobe ID and password.

Feedback and Knowledge Base