After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. M1 Max ProRes 4444 Alpha Compressor Failing Render

Renders fail when attempting to export ProRes 4444 alpha that would otherwise not occur on Intel based macs.

Issue causes the following prompt:

"""

After Effects error: Rendering error will writing to file "...." Compressor format error. (-1610153454).

Followed by:

After Effects error: An unexpected error occured while exporting a composition. Error Code: 9988

Please restart After Effects and retry the export.

""""

Anecdotally, this is occurring on about 80% of comps I try to render. Most frequently on more complex comps with blurs and variations in the opacity levels.

Please fix this quickly, otherwise this effectively causes AE on…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

Thank you again for reporting this issue. Thanks to your reports, our team has identified the cause of the error and a fix is now available in the latest Beta builds of After Effects. Premiere Pro, and Media Encoder in the Creative Cloud app. Please try rendering your projects in the Beta builds and let us know if the issue appears to be fixed for you as well.

For those not able to use the Beta, the error can be avoided by disabling hardware acceleration for ProRes encoding, labeled "Enable ProRes hardware accelerated encoding, if available":

• In After Effects, this setting is located under Preferences > Output
    • In Premiere Pro and Media Encoder, the setting is located under Preferences > Media

Once the fix is available in the release builds, this issue will be marked as Resolved.

Thanks again for reporting this issue, and for any further…

2. all but one text character gets selected with my cursor

When using my cursor to highlight text, the last character will always be omitted from the selection.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting this issue. As mentioned by Douglas Waterfall in the comments below, a fix for this issue is available in After Effects (Beta) build 42 or later. Please download the latest Beta from the Creative Cloud app and let us know if the fix is working for you as well.

If you do experience any issues with After Effects (Beta), please report them on the Beta forums that are accessible via "Report a bug..." or "Visit the community..." when you click on the Provide Feedback button ( which looks like a speech bubble ) in the upper-right corner of the After Effects (Beta) UI.

Thank you again for reporting this issue,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

3. Issues with Fonts

I know this has been brought up by other users in some other forums, but I want to second and reiterate this occurrence - there is serious issues with sluggish performance in after effects with fonts, particularly when using fonts in projects that are not cloud/adobe font based. In some cases, projects freeze for 10-15 seconds on retyping a 10 character word in a text box. Across multiple text-heavy projects for client schedule demands, it's becoming a major issue.

Some people have provided workarounds, like resetting the font of a project entirely with a script, but in not all cases…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this report.

The After Effects team is aware of the problems you describe, that using certain fonts can cause the UI to slow down. The issue is currently under investigation.

I don't have a solution or additional workarounds for you, but I can tell you what I understand so far. (Apologies to any of my developer co-workers who read this and think it inaccurate. This is only my layman's take on what I've read from your work.) The problem is rooted in the code that produces the individual glyphs that will eventually be drawn on-screen. We've discovered there are two related issues that could be happening, depending on the font you use:

• The glyph table in the font is constructed incorrectly. This case seems to cause the font code to go into loops that slow down the UI. While we can't fix the bad fonts, we…
  4. 3d options not available on 4k monitor scaled to 150% (BUG)

Running AE 18.1.0 (Build 38) on Windows 10. Using a laptop with a 4k monitor connected. AE is running on the 4k monitor, and the monitor is scaled to 150% via Windows Display Settings.

I created a comp with 3D layers in it, but the 3D buttons/options that are normally in the comp panel do not show up (3D Fast Draft, Camera Selection, 3D View Layout, etc). I am aware that in this most recent version, the 3D options only show up when a comp with 3D layers is active. This is not the issue I'm having. If I drag…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug. We have been able to verify that the 3D controls in the Composition panel toolbar won’t draw correctly on Windows in two cases:
    1. Changing the display scaling of the monitor while AE is active.
    2. Moving AE (or possibly just the Comp panel) to a monitor with a different display scaling factor.

The result in both cases is that when AE calculates where the 3D controls should be drawn, it’s not factoring the change in display scale and it’s drawing them in the wrong place. If the display scale increased, there are fewer pixels to work with so the 3D controls either get cut off or disappear. If the display scale decreased, the 3D controls are all there but they get an extra margin on the right.

The workaround is to restart AE, so that the 3D controls read the display scale correctly…

5. When Double Clicking on Mask/Shape layers in the toolbar, hold a modifier key to constrain to a 1:1 ratio

When double-clicking on a rectangle or oval Path Creator icon in the toolbar, it creates a centered shape to fit the bounds of the composition. I would love the ability to hold a modifier key to create a 1x1 shape that fits the bounds, i.e. a centered square or circle. There's almost no easy way to do this otherwise.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. AERender in AE 2019 don't wait for job completion

Up until 2019, AERender, when executed with the -reuse option, waited for the job to complete before terminating.
    On AERender 2019, AERender, when used with the -reuse option, open (or use the already opened) gui, set the job to work on the gui and terminate immediately.
    This is problematic, because we relay on the -reuse option to complete jobs very quickly, while still checking to know when the job is complete.

We are asking to return the AERender to behave like in previous versions - that it will terminate after the job is complete, even with the -reuse option.

thanks

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for filing this bug. We’re aware of an issue where, on Windows, the aerender process will crash at process start if the -reuse flag is used and the UI of After Effects is running. If the UI of After Effects is not running, the -reuse flag will cause the aerender process to crash after the render job is completed.

Our apologies for the disruption. We are investigating a fix for this bug for a future release.

7. Master-Propertys don´t take their user-names since Update.

I.E. the Master-Property is now named "Checkbox" and not "my Propertys Name".

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In Progress  ·  1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Label Colors for Keyframes

Allow users to use the same label colors but for keyframes similar to markers. This would definitely be helpful for character animation to help organize different loops or cycles. Simply add a list to the context menu when right clicking on selected keyframes.

642 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

53 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I'm very excited to announce that keyframe color labels, along with a new design for keyframe selection, are now available in public beta! 

You'll need to update to version 22.5.0 Build 18 or later to get access. Learn more here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/welcome-to-keyframe-color-labels-in-ae/td-p/12927209

Thank you for all your input. Please give the beta a try and let us know how it's working for you.

9. Allow .mogrt files to export with adjustment layers to affect video clips in Premiere.

I use a lot of the same graphics for multiple "Projects" and wanted to create a template in After Effects for consistency and lessen the workload. But It part of that graphic is to turn part of the video clip black and white I need to use an Adjustment Layer. Allowing Adjustment Layers to port over with .mogrt files would make things much easier for me and I'm guessing others as well.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Bring back 'System Default Audio Device' as option in Audio Hardware

Bring back 'System Default Audio Device' as option in Audio Hardware preferences.

I switch a LOT between speakers and headphones on any given day. There used to be an option where AE would use whatever the system audio is... plug headphones in, audio switches to those... unplug headphones, AE switches to speakers.

Why was this removed in AE (and Premiere)?

102 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

41 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Optimize Shapes and vector layers

Currently the biggest bottleneck or noticeable speed degredation for me after getting a CPU with more cores and a lower clockspeed has been shape layers and vectors. If I have a comp with lets say 100 small shape circles, the FPS in After Effects drops to such a low level it is hard to even work. Since things are being optimized in After Effects and tasks are being moved to the GPU, this is one area of the program I would really like to be improved. Shapes and vector layers are very commonly used, so it shouldn't be such a…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base