After Effects

ANNOUNCEMENT - This forum has been moved

In an effort to improve communications between you and the After Effects team, we are moving this feedback forum to the After Effects page on the Adobe Support Community. As requested, bugs and feature requests will be able to live separately in that forum.

This move is happening in part to acknowledge that we haven't been responsive enough here, and are combining our forums to help remedy that. All ideas and their attached comments from this UserVoice forum will be migrated based on how many voted for them. Check your profile on the Adobe Support Community to see any migrated posts that you've created or commented on. If you have an item here that did not make the migration, please bring it over to our new home.

See you soon on the Adobe Support Forum!
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. all but one text character gets selected with my cursor

When using my cursor to highlight text, the last character will always be omitted from the selection.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

29 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for reporting this issue when selecting text. This issue was fixed in a previous version ( AE 22.4 ) but then resurfaced in the subsequent version ( AE 22.5 ). I apologize for the confusion and frustration around which versions contained the fix. It is never our intent for fixes to remain in Beta without moving into the release version; in this case, the issue was fixed in Beta, moved to release in 22.4, but then resurfaced in both the ongoing Beta and 22.5.

There is now a fix for the resurfaced issue that is available in After Effects (Beta) 23.0.0.25 and later. Please give this build a try if you can and let us know how it is working for you when selecting text. This fix can then be included in a future release of After Effects 23.0.

Please note that the latest versions…

2. Issues with Fonts

I know this has been brought up by other users in some other forums, but I want to second and reiterate this occurrence - there is serious issues with sluggish performance in after effects with fonts, particularly when using fonts in projects that are not cloud/adobe font based. In some cases, projects freeze for 10-15 seconds on retyping a 10 character word in a text box. Across multiple text-heavy projects for client schedule demands, it's becoming a major issue.

Some people have provided workarounds, like resetting the font of a project entirely with a script, but in not all cases…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The current build of After Effects Beta (v22.6 build 21) is exhibiting much, much better behavior than previous releases, due to fixes applied to how font glyph tables are built. The long delays appear to be resolved, though in some cases I still see a short delay. (The developer who has been working on this code has done their best to resolve this, but some of the problems remain with the fonts themselves or in code that would require much more extensive revision.)

If you were experiencing this problem, please test the same project, comp, and fonts in the daily builds of After Effects Beta.

If you're still experiencing a delay when using certain fonts, could you please:

1. Send a screen capture video of the behavior in the current build of After Effects Beta, as well the same project, comp, or font in an older release of After Effects where…
  3. Text selector not working

Hi, AE will not let me select all of my text with my cursor no matter how hard I try.

I downloaded the latest beta and this issue still persists. This basically inhibits me from doing any work efficiently being that I work with a lot of text on a daily basis.

Please fix this very BASIC and core issue. The stability and updates for AE and Premiere have been extremely disappointing lately.

It feels like you people just stopped caring about your user base.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In Progress  ·  2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3d options not available on 4k monitor scaled to 150% (BUG)

Running AE 18.1.0 (Build 38) on Windows 10. Using a laptop with a 4k monitor connected. AE is running on the 4k monitor, and the monitor is scaled to 150% via Windows Display Settings.

I created a comp with 3D layers in it, but the 3D buttons/options that are normally in the comp panel do not show up (3D Fast Draft, Camera Selection, 3D View Layout, etc). I am aware that in this most recent version, the 3D options only show up when a comp with 3D layers is active. This is not the issue I'm having. If I drag…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug. We have been able to verify that the 3D controls in the Composition panel toolbar won’t draw correctly on Windows in two cases:
    1. Changing the display scaling of the monitor while AE is active.
    2. Moving AE (or possibly just the Comp panel) to a monitor with a different display scaling factor.

The result in both cases is that when AE calculates where the 3D controls should be drawn, it’s not factoring the change in display scale and it’s drawing them in the wrong place. If the display scale increased, there are fewer pixels to work with so the 3D controls either get cut off or disappear. If the display scale decreased, the 3D controls are all there but they get an extra margin on the right.

The workaround is to restart AE, so that the 3D controls read the display scale correctly…

5. Don't require track mattes to be above the layer it modifies (and also allow re-use)

Requiring a track matte to be right above the layer it modifies seems like an archaic convention at best. Get rid of that requirement and make them like parent layers which can be anywhere and used by many layers.

429 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're very excited to announce that Selectable Track Mattes are now available in the public beta builds! Selectable Track Mattes work just like parenting, allowing you to pick any layer in your composition, no matter where it sits in the layer stack, as a Track Matte source for any other layer.

You'll need to update to version 23.0 build 8 or later to try it out. Learn more here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/feature-focus-selectable-track-matte-layers-have-arrived/td-p/13110013

6. Add back rendering support for H264 codec directly out of AE

Around 2012 you removed the option for rendering a .mp4 file directly out of AE. Please add it back. The work around is to either render in a different codec and compress that in media encoder, or to launch the render directly from media encoder from AE (which is extremely slow and cumbersome, especially when you have large/complex project files). Not sure why removing functionality seemed like a good idea at the time...?

387 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are very happy to announce that starting with After Effects (Beta) 23.0x11, H.264 is now available as an option in the Output Module Settings dialog allowing you to encode to H.264 directly from the AE Render Queue.

More information on the Beta builds and rendering H.264 is available on the After Effects (Beta) forums: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/feature-focus-exporting-h-264-from-the-after-effects-render-queue/td-p/13117618

Thank you for all your input on this. Please give the Beta a try and let us know how this feature is working for you.

7. Add option for J K hotkeys to work with only selected layer(s)

So J and K are potentially really useful keys but in practice there is often way too many keyframes on a timeline. How about adding the ability to add a modifier key, such as ALT, which would let J and K navigate to the next keyframe or marker ON SELECTED LAYERS ONLY. That would be most appreciated Mr. Adobe, thank-you.

91 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone,

We are happy to announce that new commands to move the CTI between keyframes on only selected layers and properties are now available in After Effects (Beta). The commands are mapped to Shift+J and Shift+K by default, but they can be reassigned to your preferred keyboard shortcut.

Check out this post on the Beta forums for more details: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/feature-focus-new-shift-j-and-shift-k-keyboard-shortcuts-in-after-effects/m-p/13162330#M2273

Thanks so much for all your input, and please let us know how this feature is working for you in the Beta builds.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Feedback and Knowledge Base