After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rotation tool seems broken

With the latest version (17.1.3) the rotation tool freaks out when using it for the layer transform rotation. Somehow it does work fine for parametic shapes. Just by dragging a little bit, it rotates like 2000 times.

50 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

27 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. BUG - pen tool crash

Weird bug where when using the pen tool, if the footage panel is open, passing over it freezes then crashes AE. Submitted the crash report and posting here in hopes it can be duplicated and fixed.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. BUG: Double clicking keyframe in timeline does not open keyframe properties

When double clicking a keyframe in the timeline the keyframe properties do not open, only the keyframe is selected. You need to manually right click and edit the keyframe to change values.

This issue only started when updating to AE Version 17.1.3 (Build 41) on Windows 10.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bug: Master Properties not displaying property name

After updating to 17.1.4 everything in Master Properties on the timeline is now displaying as the property type (i.e. "Slider" or "Checkbox") instead of the correct name.

macOS Catalina 10.15.6

update: renaming the property in Essential Graphics will rename the property on the timeline (at least temporarily). However, when duplicating the layer, the duplicate will revert to displaying the property type.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. AE 17.5 Alt key functions broken - switches to camera regardless of active tool

Regardless of the tool used, holding the Alt key switches to the camera tool.

Hoping this is a mistake - it makes zooming out (z, Alt-Click) or adjusting vector bezier curves (G, Alt-click) frustrating without the shortcuts.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 68 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. AE v17.5 crashing on launch under MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

Running MacOS 10.13.6, so I'm currently unable to install a few of the updated apps. That being said, After Effects 17.5 was allowed to be installed. On launch it crashes out every time with the two following errors:

After Effects error: Couldn't find main entry point for Camera Raw.plugin ( 48::72 )

After Effects error: unbalanced unprepared. ( 48::30 )

No way to launch the app without the crash.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug. This problem occurred because the October 2020 release of Adobe Camera Raw is not compatible with macOS 10.13, however the Creative Cloud desktop app did not prevent it from being installed. That has been corrected, however if you’ve already installed v13 of ACR, you will need to uninstall it and reinstall v12.4.

More information here:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-solve-after-effects-v-17-5-crash-at-launch/td-p/11522545?page=1

8. Bug: aerender command line rendering broken in 17.5

After updating AE to 17.5 aerender stopped working with the error:
    "aerender ERROR: After Effects can not render for aerender. Another instance of aerender, or another script, may be running; or, AE may be waiting for response from a modal dialog, or for a render to complete. Try running aerender without the -reuse flag to invoke a separate instance of After Effects"
    Re-installing the previous version makes it work again. Please Adobe, I am not asking a lot here. But especially after outlawing older versions, please at least stop breaking things with updates. That would be just great.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. COMP MARKERS 1-3 not working (no more jump to numbered comp marker)

For some reason AE won't allow me to drop a numbered composition marker (shift+1) for the numbers 1-3. Also I can no longer use the numbered composition markers as shortcuts by pressing the number on my keyboard to "jump" to that marker. Is this a bug in the new AE?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Go to layer in-point and out-point (shortcuts I and O on layers panel) on AE 2020 not working.

Updated to Ae CC 2020 and going to the beginning or end of a layer isn't possible because the shortcuts (keys I or O) are not working.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Change the camera rotation tools back!

What happened to the orbit camera option? You used to have a tool that did all three camera movements with all three buttons on the mouse and now they are 3 separate tools?! Why fix something that isn't broken? That was a marvelous tool that's been in after effects forever and worked just fine?! Please change it back in the next update! Thanks

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The universal camera tool has moved to a keyboard shortcut for faster access. Hold alt/option and use your mouse buttons to navigate (left = orbit, middle = pan, right = dolly, same as before). This means you can now access the camera navigation anytime, without having to switch tools.

12. fix the timeline markers on OSX. they broke in cc 2021

the timeline markers broke. I cannot place with CMD + 1, 2 ,3 and I cannot recall timeline markers with keys 1,2,3 anymore. I cannot bind new hotkeys to these either. please fix asap.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. AE 2020 fixed ram preview for me... YAY! However, Numberpad "." no longer previews just the audio

AE 2020 fixed ram preview for me... YAY! However, Numberpad "." no longer previews just the audio. If I hit the "." key, the play-head moves across the timeline, but there's no audio... and I don't see anything in the audio levels display either. If, however, if I enable video preview in the Numberpad "." preview, I get audio... AND video—which obviously defeats the purpose of an audio-only preview.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Bug: AE and AME Tool Panel UI color after update 17.5 (Win10)

After updating AE (and AME) to 17.5 (on 10/20) for Windows 10, the tab area on the Tools panel is white at startup. References attached.

Turning the Tools panel on/off (Ctrl+1) or un-docking and re-docking the Tools panel will revert the tab area back to the intended color.

On the subject of bright white UI elements, bright white is extremely abrasive and distracting, especially for users working in AE day-to-day for 8+ hrs.

Please, please, adjust the AE UI on Windows 10 so that the Menu for AE, AME, and PR respect Darker brightness settings for appearance, or, adopt the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug. We can confirm that this issue occurs. It has been fixed in the Beta builds of After Effects (17.5.1) and Adobe Media Encoder (14.5.1), and will be rolled into the public builds when those versions are released from beta. You can verify the fix now by installing After Effects Beta and Adobe Media Encoder Beta from the Creative Cloud desktop app.

15. scroll through fonts with arrows (v17.0)

In version 17.0 it seems like the ability to preview fonts with the arrows keys is, once again, broken. It's crazy how much this slows down a workflow. Can we get this fixed please?

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bug - Roughen Edges doesn't work the same in 2020 as it does in previous versions

In AE CC 2020, the Roughen Edges effect still shows the original edges of shapes and vectors. It also produces oddly colored edges.

This wasn't the case before this version. It used to produce nice rough edges.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. AE 17.0 RAM Preview unresponsive / stuck

RAM Preview speed has improved but the entire program becomes unresponsive to clicks, spacebar, Num0, ESC, etc. Playback continues on loop and the only way I've found to regain control is to minimize/maximize AE.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. [BUG] Master Properties can't be changed with expression

I put this simple expression on a master property that cycles through some items. It shows 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, etc. on the control, but it only shows the item #1.

timeToFrames(time/50) % 3 + 1;

This wasn't working on another master property, but it started to at some point on it's own. I've tried purging, recreating the property. About the only thing I haven't tried so far but sometimes works is recreating it all in a new comp.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Compatibility issue - MacBook Pro 16 - AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB

I'm using a MacBook Pro 16 with AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB, and there appears to be a compatibility issue between AE and the graphics card. My composition window is completely distorted with horizontal lines running through it.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. String memory leak

Error 83::2 - String Memory Leak
    I get this error message every time I log out of AE 2019 whilst using one particular project that involves a lot of imports. Will not open the files again later. I can work around it by importing the file into a new project, but once I save the NEW project, under a different name and go to quit the program, I get the same error message and rinse and repeat. I don't know which, if any, files are corrupt and the program otherwise acts normally until I try and close out the program.It…

47 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base