After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. AE 2022 fails to export to Media Encoder 2022

Hello! Since upgrading my Adobe suite to the latest 2022 versions I haven't been able to export my files from After Effects to the Media Encoder. When I'm ready to render I'll go to "File > Export > Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue..." as usual, but nothing actually shows up in Media Encoder's Queue. I've sat and waited long enough, staring at Media Encoder, mentally willing the file to go through the dynamic link that my boss started poking at me with a sharp stick to see if I was still alive... I've had a similar lack of luck…

87 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

83 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much to everyone who collected and sent in log files. The cause of the issue has been identified as specific to After Effects running on macOS, with a fix now available in After Effects version 22.0.1, which can be downloaded through the Creative Cloud Desktop app. After updating to AE 22.0.1, please restart your machine to ensure that any processes which might be blocking Dynamic Link have been closed before attempting to send any comps from AE to Adobe Media Encoder.

In order to help us distinguish between the Mac-only issue that was introduced in 22.0.0 and other pre-existing issues with sending AE comps to Media Encoder, we are closing this report as “Resolved”.

If you are still experiencing this issue on Windows or after updating to 22.0.1, please either create a new UserVoice post or find an existing one that matches the problem you are…

2. BUG: Cant paste text from other apps into After Effects

Since the last update I cant paste text from other apps (browser, word, etc) into After Effects. Looks like AE doesnt recognize I have something in my clipboard. CTRL+V doesnt work, if I go to "edit" the paste option is greyed out.

Using latest AE (v18.4) on Windows 10.

If I revert to v18.2.1 everything works as it should.

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi everyone,

This bug has been fixed in the latest version of After Effects 2021 ( 18.4.1 ). See https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html.

Please install the latest version and let us know if you are continuing to see issues with pasting from other applications. You should no longer need to use the workaround of opening After Effects first before selecting a project file; pasting into Text layers should work when opening AE by double-clicking a project file.

Thank you all again for reporting this issue,
    - John, After Effects Engineering Team

3. AE 22.4.0 Project Window Comp names cut-off last letter

This morning I updated to AE 22.4.0. Now I'm noticing that in the project window, many of the names of compositions have the last letter in the name cutoff. But it only seems to happen when the length of the comp gets long enough. It doesn't seem to affect anything yet, but it's worth looking at.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. aerender fails on Mac OS 11.4 with error -1701 "AEGetParamPt failed at line 918"

in Mac OS 11.4, aerender fails. The rumor is it's a permissions issue, but it occurs despite all permissions granted to After Effects and Terminal.

$ '/Applications/Adobe After Effects 2021/aerender' -project SHOW1154.aep
    aerender version 18.2x37
    PROGRESS: Launching After Effects...
    aerender ERROR -1701: AEGetParamPt failed at line 918
    $ /Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ 2020/aerender -project SHOW1154.aep
    aerender version 17.7x45
    PROGRESS: Launching After Effects...
    aerender ERROR -1701: AEGetParamPt failed at line 918

62 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Bug Report: AE 22.2.1 Project considered corrupt in AE 22.3. Opens fine in 22.2.1

I have an AE Project created in v22.2.1 that works fine in that version. If I update and try to open it in v22.3 I'm met with a message stating that the project is corrupt as I have too many cameras. If I rollback and open it in 22.2.1 the file is fine.

Please help, I need to be able to update but also need to be able to work on this file.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

This issue has been fixed in the 22.4 update of After Effects 2022, released today ( May 10, 2022 ). Please let us know if you continue to experience any issues opening projects after updating to After Effects 22.4.

Thanks again for reporting this issue,

6. Bugreport: wrong colors with PNG import since AfterEffects 17.7.0

Since AfterEffects 17.7.0 the colors of PNG files will be shown not correctly. It seems the the PNGImporter ignores the colormanagement of the files or does something else wrong.
    Attached you can find screenshots with wrong and correct result.
    I also wanted to upload a sample scene so that you can test it on your site, but an upload of zip or aep is not possible.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  9 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. BUG: AE 18.2 on Macs cannot read jpg sequences: file format module could not parse the file (45 :: 36)

I am a template creator. My customers who are using Macs cannot open my After Effect projects that use jpg-sequences. I received the error from 3 customers and one colleague who has access to a mac did confirm it to me. JPG sequences cannot be opened on AE 18.2 on a Mac. On windows, it works fine.

The error message is
    After Effects Error: the file format module could not parse the file (45 :: 36)

Please fix this bug asap.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This issue has been fixed in the latest After Effects 2021 release ( v18.4 in July 2021 ). Older projects with JPEGs and JPEG sequences should open and render as expected. If you continue to experience this issue, please let us know here or in a new UserVoice report.

Cheers,

8. Bug Report: v22.1.1 Can not export PNG

Can not export PNG thru render que. Works with AME.
    sRGB 16bit comp.
    Windows10...latest build...super-user workstation.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Bug report: Scripting command to add comp marker with comment fails with CSelectron error

in AE 22.2.0 (Mac), the scripting function comp.markerProperty.setValueAtTime() no longer works. It now results in the error CSelectronASSERT fail: CSelectron: layer is null

I have a script with this function that has worked correctly in previous versions of after effects, but now results in this error. I have found no workaround.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Please Repair DNxHD output in Ae 22.3

It 's no longer compatible with Avid. RGBA DNxHD HQX does result in black video on Avid.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. After Effects v22.3.0 DNxHD Alpha render broken.

When rendering to DNxHD on 22.2.0 with an alpha channel, under format the options are None or Uncompressed. Both options work. On the latest release, the options are None or Compressed, if you choose compressed, no alpha channel is created, making it useless for creating titles for Avid. This needs to be3 fixed immediately.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Bug Report - Fractal effect not working properly in AE 2022.

The Fractal effect (not the Fractal Noise effect) is buggy in AE 2022. It works fine until I try adding another effect to the layer. For example, if I start a new project, create a new comp, add a new solid layer, and then add the Fractal effect to it, it looks fine. But if I add a Glow effect to the layer (after the Fractal effect) the effect disappears.

Almost all other effects will have the same result when used with the Fractal effect, but the bug is inconsistent. So If you have trouble recreating the issue, try adjusting…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Fix Chapter Markers in the Timeline panel - AE 2022 v22.3.0

Shift+X (x = Numbers 1-6) does not create a marker in the Timeline panel as it should. Selecting 1-6 does not jump to existing markers as it should. This feature currently is only functional in v18.0 - which I am still using because of this. It's such an important feature to my workflow and process.

Resetting Keyboard Shortcuts and specifically creating them again, with even different modifier keys, etc. does not resolve the issue.

Help??

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Render Queue - File Name and Location Template bug in 2021 (18.4.1 (Build 4))

so I have a project:
    F:\filmmaking\Client Name (587)\Film Name\CODE.2.6.2021.aep

When I use the File Name and Location Template (in AE 2021 only, all other versions work fine)
    [projectFolder]\renders\FINALS[compName]_Proof.[fileExtension]

It seemingly randomly saves the file(s) in either:
    F:\renders\FINALS* or
    F:\filmmaking\renders\FINALS* or
    F:\filmmaking\Client Name (587)\renders\FINALS*
    never F:\filmmaking\Client Name (587)\Film Name\renders\FINALS* like it is supposed to.

If after I apply the template, I click on the link, it takes me to the dialogue showing exactly where it is supposed to go. Click render and it renders to the correct path.

If I don't click the filename first, it renders to a random parent…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. "V" shortcut does not work in AE 18.1

After update to 18.1 the "V" key is not working to choose the selection tool.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  12 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. MAJOR BUG - Output Module Quicktime format options panel has blank settings

In the export options, the quicktime options has blank settings with values input, but no way to know what those settings are. Critical bug.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  0 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Mercury Transit Preview still crashes in latest AE V 22.0.1

After Effects V 22.0.1 still crashes while using a 3rd preview monitor via Mercury Transit.

My setups: Mac Pro trashcan (Late 2013) 12 core with 64GB and AMD FirePro D300, now running MacOS Monterey. I have 3 monitors- 2 4K Dell P2715Qs over mini Displayport and a JVC DT-v24L1 broadcast preview monitor over HDMI

Also occurs on new 2021 Macbook Pro 16 running Monterey

Repeatable crash: Preferences-> Video Preview -> Enable Mercury Transit ->Video Device: Adobe Monitor 2: 1920x1080

In a project that has different sized comps, say 1920x1080 and 1080x1080, AE will crash when switching between comps of different…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Bug report: Effects panel doesn't show up automatically when adding an effect

Bug report: (started with After Effects 22.0 and still going on in version 22.0.1 and 22.1.1, on Macbooks (late 2018 i9 & late 2021 M1 proMAX)
    — The Effects panel you normally find on the left and who might automatically open when applying an effect on a layer DOES NOT show up. You have to manually activate it via Windows in the menu bar.
    Then, when the Effects panel is at last on your workspace, it doesn't switch automatically if the Project panel was already activated. Again, you have to manually click on Effect panel to show the effect you…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Rotobrush 2.0

The new Rotobrush 2.0 does improve the spline you draw or brush to outline what you need to separate from the background. However, in the latest updates, the propagation and freeze steps hang up on long frame scenes. After much searching on the forums other users have found we need to uninstall the updates for After Effects and go back to 18.1. I just did that and now Rotobrush 2.0 is performing naturally!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base