After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. bug report button in app!

instant link to correct product bug page in menu / help

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. a programmable hotkey for the "Reveal layer source in project" function

Being able to use a keyboard shortcut for this function would save me a good amount of time

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. mogrt text isn't showing up

I created a mogrt call-out locator pin file in After Effects that is essentially the same as the locator pin call-out template, only in the opposite direction. I exported the mogrt file from After Effects to my local templates folder and went to premiere to use it. But when I put it onto my timeline in premiere, the text doesn't show up. Everything but the text shows up. Why? Where did the text go?

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. AE CC 2019 Remove or Move Home Button in Toolbar

In AE CC 2019, please remove or move the new Home Button in the toolbar.

It's in the same place that the Selection Tool used to be. Having used AE for many years, I'm used to clicking that spot automatically.

I'm not sure why the Home Button is the first tool in the toolbar now. I'll never use the Home Screen to access projects or create new ones.

If the Home Button needs to be in AE somewhere, please move it out of the toolbar.

228 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

86 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the April 2019 release of After Effects (version 16.1), there is now an option to hide the Home button in the Tools panel. In Preferences > General, disable the Enable Home Screen option, then restart After Effects (this will also disable the Home screen when After Effects starts).

You can install this release via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

A list of new features and changes in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new/2019-1.html

A list of bugs fixed in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

5. Please add a taper effect/option to 'Stroke' as well as Shape Layer strokes.

Please add a taper effect/option to 'Stroke' as well as Shape Layer strokes.

It's such a simple request that has been requested for over 8 years. The ability to taper a stroke of any kind. Either from the "Effects & Presets - Stroke" or a simple Shape Layer stroke.

198 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support the HAP codec

The HAP codec, which is massive in the live video industry, is no longer supported.

Please bring it back? It would be very nice.

521 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

349 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. BUG:Inaccurate results when setting displayStartTime via script

After Effects does some bad math when I try to set the displayStartTime of a comp via script.
    When I attempt to set the displayStartTime of a 30fps comp to frame 1000 (33.333333333333 seconds).
    The result startTime is instead 33.3333320617676, which rounds down to frame 999.
    However, setting the startFrame to 1000 manually in the comp settings does make the startTime 33.3333333333333, which should be the expected result via script.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bug report: After Effects CC 2019 can't read alpha channel in ProRes 4444 or DNxHR/DNxHD in .mov files if project set to 16- or 32-bpc

The new version of After Effects produces an error when reading ProRes 4444 or DNxHR/DNxHD Quicktime files that contain an alpha channel (see image attached) This error is only noticeable when the project is set to 16 or 32 bpc

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug report, Enabling grid cases extreme Latency. After effects 2019.

With a simple click on anything I get a the color wheel and about 5 seconds before that click is acknowledged. Thus far I have only experienced this when grid is enabled. AE 2019 IMAC running mojave and 40gb ram. I used AE 2018 yesterday and did not have this problem. This is making it impossible to use. I will have to revert back to 2018.

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Tapered Strokes

And generally more interoperability with Illustrator and support for the SVG standard

275 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 3d Point Control

Point Control seems to be only 2d. I need it in 3d. Why not take the number of dimensions from the Layer it is applied to?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Faster EXR handling

Users have been requesting this for years and years and years. After Effects has the slowest handling of EXRs in the industry. Can we please finally get an overhaul of EXR import and bring it into the 21st century?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. In new expression editor, typing closing quotes/parentheses should overwrite existing characters

The new expression editor is great and it's halfway there with automatically adding a closing parentheses or quotes, but most code editors will then, if the user manually types a closing parentheses or quote, will more or less ignore it by overwriting the closing parenthese that was automatically added with the one that the user typed. In AE now if you type an opening then closing bracket you end up with ()) and if you type two quotes you end up with four quotes """"

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Improve the expressions panel with basic scripting UI

Revamp or make the AE Expression panel look more like scripting in e.g. Atom or Eclipse - with color-coding, auto-suggest, numbered lines, larger text size. Look to the plugin "Expressionist".

179 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature, the new customizable Expression Editor, was added in the April 2019 release of After Effects (version 16.1). You can install this release via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

A list of new features and changes in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new/2019-1.html

A list of bugs fixed in After Effects 16.1 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

15. Add composition's contextual menu “Reveal layer source in project panel” to customizable shortcuts.

The new shortcut editor is great, but actions only accessible as contextual actions inside the composition panel are unavailable in the shortcut editors.

It would be great to be able to add shortcut to those. Especially since 15.1 added a new level of context to “Reveal layer source in project panel”.

152 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature was added in the April 2019 release of After Effects (version 16.1). You can install this release via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

Specifically: The Reveal sub-menu has been added to the Layer menu. This menu is identical to the Reveal sub-menu in the layer context menu (right-click on a layer in the Timeline menu). This means that you can assign keyboard shortcuts to the commands in the Reveal sub-menu, including Reveal Layer Source in Project.

16. Open EXR timecode

Now that HDR is all the rage, we need better EXR support:
    - import timecode from an EXR sequence, right now only writing timecode works during export. All imported sequences come in with a 00:00:00 timecode :/
    - support for EXR specific metadata
    - EXR in AE is still slowest in the industry. By my test it's 3x times slower than Nuke, and 8x times slower than Blender!!!. Come on, it's an open source program, just steal their importer ;)
    - Can we set a default action to "interpret as linear light"? Right noe all EXRs always get in as…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. BUG - Closing an extension panel in a saved workspace crashes after effects.

CC 2019 latest update. Win 10 latest version. Closing any panel related to an extension in a custom workspace immediately crashes After Effects.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. cryptomatte plugin became unuseble in 16.1 update

cryptomatte plugin became extremely slow. Viewpert takes a long time to update each frame

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make it possible to show guides I've created in Premiere Pro

Now we can create guides and save it like templates in Premiere Pro.
    Would be awesome if we could load/import/view those guides in After Effects!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Don't give autocomplete suggestions for numbers in expressions

With the new expression editor, it gives suggestions as I type. That's fine for a lot of things, but it also likes to suggest things as I type numbers. That's never something I want. Especially because pressing enter will accept the suggestion, so I will often want to divide something by 2 and then realize my 2 has suddenly become 100 or the name of a layer.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base