After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. AE CC 2019 keeps crashing

I didn't experience any immediate problems after updating to the new version, and I was actually excited about it. However, today the problems started. I was masking a layer, when all of a sudden AE crashed and I got this error on my screen "<140735526355840> <BEE_MiscTasks> <5> Set Artisan Task: Classic 3D". Tried googling but couldn't really find a solution for this specific problem. Running AE on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Mid-2015) with OS High Sierra 10.13.6. Now, when I try to open the project the app keeps freezing.

32 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Adobe ID
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

34 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. There's a bug - when you add a horizontal guide, performance slows way down. Hiding them improves it. Very weird!

There's a bug - when you add a horizontal guide, performance slows way down. Hiding them improves it. Very weird!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remember output folder for every project

My life would be days longer if After effects was able to render to the same folder the project rendered to last time instead of switching to the last place chosen regardless of wether it was a different project file (which makes no sense to me)

Having to work quickly on multiple projects in the same timeframe leaves me with scatterer render files that swell the hard drive and take an age to sort through down the line.

33 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix timeline issue in the latest update

On a macbook air 2017 running mojave 10.14.3, left clicking in the timeline DOES NOT work at all, only option is to right click which somehow registers, the recent update broke left clicking on the timeline and no layers can be clicked, this is a major bug and paralyzes my work. Please get it fixed ASAP

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting this bug.

We are currently investigating this problem but are having difficulty reproducing the issue. To isolate and fix the problem, if you are experiencing this we would like to know:

- What OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14.3)
    - What hardware are you using? (ex., 2018 MacBook Pro or MacBookPro15,2 (A1989)
    - Did the problem always occur since you first installed After Effects 16.1 or did something trigger it?
    - If something triggered it, does restarting After Effects clear the problem? Restarting the computer? Clearing the After Effects preferences?
    - If something triggered it, what is the trigger?

5. Bug Report - AE 16.0.1 - Lumetri Scopes not displaying anything after some use.

When using the Lumetri Scopes, after having AE open for some time, the scopes themselves disappear and there seems to be no way to get them working again. I can close the scopes panel and reopen it and also try to change what scopes are displaying but nothing works. Must restart AE for them to work again. Problem typically occurs when changing from one composition to another.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this bug report.

Are you also using external video preview via Mercury Transmit? (Preferences > Video Preview)

When the problem starts, try enabling and then disabling Mercury Transmit. You could also try pressing the / key on the numeric keypad.

(Under the hood, Lumetri Scopes captures the frame using Mercury Transmit. Although Transmit does not need to be enabled in the prefs for Lumetri Scopes to do this, I’m curious if toggling it on/off would help, or maybe there is a conflict with another Transmit device.)

6. Audio and video playback bugs

I'm Japanese. I use Google Translate.

When playing back only the audio on the After Effects timeline, the beginning of the audio is cut off and it can not be played back properly.
    How, if you play video and audio simultaneously, you can play audio normally.

This happens even if the composition has only an audio layer.

You can confirm that After effects are playing in real time from the information panel.

The environment of PC is as follows.

Windows Main PC
    CPU: Core i7-8700K
    Memory: 32GB
    GPU: RTX 2080
    After Effects: CC2019

Windows Sub PC
    CPU: Core i7-7700K
    Memory:…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. "more options" in interpret footage not showing

When I hit the "more options" buttion in "interpret footage" settings, it gets blue (like it's been activated) but nothing else happens.
    Would be quite handy, because EVERY video Import now seems to be all green and it would be cool to do something about that.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report.

We need more information in order to investigate:

- What format is the footage that you are working with?
    - What version of After Effects are you using? The version number can be found in the About After Effects dialog (ex., After Effects 16.0.1).
    - What OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.13.6)

8. Alpha + RGB is missing!

I don´t know how Adobe where thinking but this in fact risk do harm and damage my business.

Where is the old RGB+Alpha function when rendering AVI and other formats?

Please restore the Alpha render functions in After Effects immediately!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

Nothing has changed in the ability of After Effects to render RGB + alpha channels to AVI or other formats.

As always, the availability of alpha depends on which codec you are rendering to. Not all codecs support alpha channels. Depending on your workflow, you may need to open the Format Options dialog and change the codec you are rendering to.

When rendering to the AVI format, very few codecs support alpha channels. The AVI None (uncompressed) codec does, and is the default format and codec on Windows.

When rendering to the QuickTime format, there are more codecs that do support alpha channels, but not all do. For example, most Apple ProRes codec flavors do not; only ProRes 4444 supports an alpha channel. Other codecs that do support an alpha channel include Animation, GoPro CineForm, and None. Some flavors (“resolutions”) of Avid DNxHR support…

9. Give us a proper bug reporting tool.

If I am posting a bug report, I am not giving Adobe an "idea." Everything about this reporting page indicates that anything posted here will be completely ignored. Honestly, it's insulting that a subscriber giving Adobe almost $60 a month should be treated this disrespectfully. Put in a proper bug reporting mechanism that prioritizes bug reports and offers some kind of feedback to indicate whether the bug has been addressed or deemed invalid.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What additional features would you like to see in a bug reporting tool?

The UserVoice platform is a new tool (as of 2018) that Adobe DVA product teams are using to track user feedback, and allow public voting and commenting on suggestions. Prior to this, reports were not visible to the public, so no voting or discussion could occur on a given report.

Submissions to this site are reviewed by the Adobe DVA product teams. Not every submission will receive a response, but we are reading the submission and using the feedback in our planning process for future updates to After Effects, Premiere Pro, and our sibling applications. We’ve closed many submissions to this site as completed after a new update has been released, when the submission was addressed by the update. Other submissions are closed as not actionable, or declined, if the request does not align with our development…

10. phantom time indicator

When I select a layer and hit "i" or "o," there is a phantom time indicator that appears there, but the physical one stays where it was. I've attached a picture of what it looks like. Thanks.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To investigate this, it would be most helpful if you could send us a project file that demonstrates the issue. My suspicion is that this only happens when the layers are in a specific state.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

11. AE 2018 Keyboard lag on Mojave

Just bought a new iMac - AE 2018 has a really frustrating keyboard input lag. Even if you type slowly it misses characters as you type (adding text or just using the interface i.e. naming folders, changing values, pressing spacebar etc). It's incredibly frustrating.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Rendering frames to DPX fails randomly prior to completion after the latest update, sits idle, must reset render options & click render -BUG

Updated to latest After Effects update on 4/6/19. Rendering is not reliable. Render creates a random number of complete DPX frames before ending prematurely and returning to a normal GUI working state. Programs does not crash, only the render stops and has to be set up again and the render button must be clicked again. Fails multiple times during the course of rendering 300 frames of DPX. Very high aggravation, factor please fix.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this bug report. We need additional information before we can investigate this problem.

What OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14.3)

Do you receive any error messages? Is there a log file in the render output folder that indicates which frames were rendered or not?

Are you rendering via the render queue in After Effects with the UI open? Or are you using the command-line renderer, watch folder rendering, a distributed rendering solution, or other?

It may help if you provide us with a project file that demonstrates the problem (with the item queued and ready to render) and a screen recording of the problem in action. Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files,…

13. BUG: Right click on image in library closes entire library window

When I right click on an image in the library the entire libraries window closes randomly.

I have testing with adobe stock v non stock, tested in various libraries and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason. Sometimes I can get the pop up with additional options, such as find similar etc, but about 70% of the time the entire Libraries window completely closes and I have to re-open, resize etc

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need more information in order to investigate this problem:
    - What version of After Effects are you using? (ex., After Effects 16.0.1, from the About After Effects dialog box.)
    - What OS and version are you using? (ex., Windows 10 or macOS 10.14.3)

14. Cineware fix on first start

A lot of time, when I open an .aep file with a .c4d in the project, the cineware plugin have an error. I have to restart AE to work fine.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Still can't use 4K monitors with AE

We are up to v16of this program and I am still unable to use my 4K monitors to the fullest (or close to it) because I get random black vertical lines on my timeline when scrubbing or previewing, and also RAM preview does not work. It just won't preview in real time.

I have to set my monitors to the Windows recommended scaling of 200%, which makes everything bigger, but I would like to set it to 150%-175% to have more real state. I think this is something that should get attention as i'm pretty sure many people have this…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Adob CC After effects 2019 keeps crashing

So since last week im not sure if this is due to a windows update or something else. But i have been having glitches and crashes in after effects 2019.
    The frist thing is, an imported video turns purple and green, i have tried purging cache, cleaning up the pc, reinstalling after effects, this did not help with it, i have tried changing the renderers. Nothing helps.
    The second thing is, moving a frame or previewing it, leads to crashing after effects. Even making a new composition has the same effect.
    I have no idea what to do, and no…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. video preview overlapping second monitor

I have a Windows 10 machine with a 2-monitor setup. Whenever I enable mercury transmit on the second monitor to use it as a client monitor, it creates a preview that's too large for the screen and extends onto the screen I'm working on. (I've attached a file that shows what I mean.)

I'm working on a Windows 10 Pro machine with 2 Geforce GTX 1080 TIs bridged together. Admittedly, the screens are different resolutions - but that never seemed to affect anything when I used these exact screens with a Mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. motion blur and continuously rasterize - Bug

On After Effects CC 2019: When I hit the motion blur button and the continuously rasterize button on a composition, After Effects crashes down or the composition get double and changes its place.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We need more information to be able to investigate this problem.

Can you post a project that experiences this problem? And/or a screen recording of the problem in action.

Post a link to your files here, or if you prefer not to post publicly you can send it to aebugs@adobe.com. (If you send to that address: A) Do not send .zip files, they will be blocked; renaming to .thisisazipfile is OK. B) Post a comment here when you have sent the email. I need to manually check that inbox.)

19. Automatic Instanced effects

Example : I copy a blur, or a curve, i paste it on another layer, at this moment, i would want to have a choice betwen "copy" or "intanced" copy.
    Instanced is a automatic link betxen the affects, and of course any modification on my curve will bereported to all instanced copy of it.(like in 3ds max , for example).
    Of cource, a right clic on it can un link it from the others.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for submitting this suggestion.

Similar functionality exists in After Effects. The Edit > Copy with Property Links (and Copy with Relative Property Links) command will do as you describe.

The Copy with Property Links commands link the pasted effect using expressions. You can use the commands on effects, or just single properties (including transform properties), or even a whole layer.

If there is additional functionality you still desire in After Effects, please elaborate.

20. Late to the party, updated to 16.1

Late to the party, updated to 16.1 and I'm having all sorts of issues with text layers (sometimes they crash it completely, other times if it's a text layer on top of another layer, the text layer disappears.) Also, any project from a previous version crashes when I try to update it so I have to import it into a new project and pray the comp I open doesn't crash.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A bug where After Effects may crash when opening a project if there are missing fonts was fixed in the April 2019 bug-fix patch for After Effects (version 16.1.1). You can install this patch via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

If the 16.1.1 update does not resolve the problem you’re experiencing, it would be helpful if you could provide us with one or more project files that demonstrate the issues you’ve described.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base