After Effects

Welcome to the Adobe After Effects feedback page. Submit feature requests and bug reports to the After Effects team via this UserVoice site and see what ideas or issues other users have shared.

• Type into the idea field to search for submissions or choose from the categories in the sidebar
  • Check out other submissions and vote for the ideas you like
  • If your feature idea or issue is not listed, post it

The UserVoice feedback pages are for feature requests and bug reports only. Upload only content that you have permission to use and refrain from posting personal information (e.g. address, phone number, email, or credit card) or abusive content (spam, phishing links, vulgar language, etc.). Tips for submitting useful feedback

UserVoice is a third-party platform for product feedback. Please note that feedback is voluntary, and you give Adobe a right to use feedback you provide without restrictions.

For all other questions and discussions, visit the After Effects community forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. After effects 2021 hangs on composition opening

AE 2021 hangs when I load compositions in the project.
    If I move to a different composition or go inside a nested composition it doesn't matter - the program will hang - only force quitting will help.
    Makes this version unusable.
    I have older versions of AE and it works fine.
    I use macOS Catalina
    happens randomly on new projects as well as old ones.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Needs More Info  ·  14 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 3D preferences keep resetting after restarting application

Every time I go to preferences to turn off 3D Camera Navigation Gizmos the checkbox is checked again the next time I restart After Effects. I'd rather keep the composition markers shortcuts on as my default. Changing my keyboard layout also does nothing as preferences seems to override keyboard layouts.

AE Version 18.2.0 (Build 37)
    Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2
    Intel Xeon X5670 Dual 2.93GHz Processors
    128GB RAM
    NVIDIA GTX Titan X 12GB

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting this bug. I’m not experiencing this problem on my machine, so I’d like to explore this further with you. Can you please tell me:

What languages are your OS and After Effects are running in?

I’d like you to try resetting the preferences, and if that doesn’t solve the problem, I’d like to get copies of the preferences files in the before/after states. Please follow these instructions:

1. In After Effects, open Preferences > General. Click the Reveal Preferences in Explorer button at the bottom. This will open the folder where the preferences files are.
    2. Quit After Effects.
    3. In the preferences folder, navigate up one level. This will be the Adobe/After Effects folder and you’ll see folders for each release of After Effects that you’ve used on this machine (18.0, 18.1, 18.2, etc.). Move (don’t copy, just move) the 18.2 folder to your desktop…

3. Assertion (0) failed (DEBUG)

I have this error all the time! I can´t work. I did an entire project and now this happens all the time.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting this report.

Our devs looked at your screenshot, and this looks like a case where your GPU is running out of memory. Normally we expect After Effects to self-manage in this situation, or at least to give a better error message, so we do consider this a bug.

To diagnose this further, we need your help. We need more information about your hardware and how After Effects got into this situation. Could you please tell us:
    - About your GPU. Manufacturer, model, VRAM, and driver version.
    - Does the problem persist if you restart After Effects, or failing that, when you restart the computer?
    - What other apps do you have running at the same time? Does the problem occur if you quit them all? (Including web browsers, which are notorious for consuming VRAM.)

4. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. BUG: AE 8.2.1 on macOS 11.4 on MacPro6,1 2 AMD FireProD700

if one is moving a Layer in the Composition View it wiggles around.
    if you build a motion path with the layer it wiggles around until the preview is rendered.
    if you put of "Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer and Footage Panels" it gets much better but is still present. This shows on our MacPro6,1 an on our iMac17,1. On newer hardware such as iMac19,1 it is not present.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Pan behind tool is very hard to use with 3d layers.

It takes multiple tries to grab it. Sudden frustrating problem after today's update.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. After Effects v18.0 won't start

After I installed v18.0 of After Effects, AE will not start. The launch screen gets stuck at "Initializing Required Components"

I've tried renaming Rename 18.0 as 18.0old in C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects

I've tried clearing the Media Cache stored at: C:\Users<User>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common

All with no luck. Crash file attached.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Crop Using Region Of Interest not working

I expect to output only the Region Of Interest, but Ae just outputs the complete Comp.
    Look like the Output Module does not communicate with the set Region Of Interest. (see screenshot).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Workflow & interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Import multiple image sequence in one go

When importing multiple image sequences (by pointing to one frame, just like when importing only one sequence), Ae imports only the single frames, not the sequences.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Get rid of 'More Options' button in Interpret Footage

Since... well, forever... the 'More Options' button in the Interpret Footage dialog has only ever been applicable to Vector footage (Illustrator/EPS) and then has only ever contained one parameter, the antialiasing quality (correct me if I'm wrong?) As such, it's dumb to have to click a button just to open up ANOTHER dialog that only contains 1 option.

Please move the Antialiasing menu out into the main footage dialog, replacing the More Options button. Ghost it when it's not applicable like everything else.

See attached mockup.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for filing this request.

The More Options button is used for more than vector files. The most common use case is for raw video formats, such as RED, Arri, Sony, Canon, etc. There are some other cases, but I don’t have them catalogued in my brain.

What I’m hearing from you is that the step to get to specific settings for AI/EPS files is an extra click that you’d rather not do. There’s a variety of ways I imagine we could solve this in the UI, everything from trying to make the Interpret Footage dialog accommodate footage-specific custom panels (difficult), to a more accessible menu command for the More Options button, or something else entirely.

In your ideal world, how would you like to see this work in the UI?

11. [BUG] Draft 3D not working

Updated to 18.0.1 today. New Project. Draft 3D button is clickable, but nothing ever happens. If hovering the button, it says 'enable hardware accelerated panels in prefs/display', yet I got that already on. Could anybody help? What did I miss? Does the GPU or driver version matter?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Draft 3D Crash on 18.2.0

New bug on latest update.

I'll work in Draft 3D for ten minutes or so before suddenly my GPU goes from 0%-12% straight to 100% and locks there. After Effects suddenly throws some kind of task to my GPU that prevents anything else from happening. After this state becomes active, turning off Draft 3D/switching to adaptive res does nothing. No way to break whatever task AE has sent to my GPU without end task'ing AE. AE does not hang, but chuggs along as one would expect when the GPU is maxed out.

No clear activity causes this. It seems to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for filing this report.

To understand how After Effects is getting into this crashing condition, we need to profile what it’s doing when it crashes.

The easiest way is if you could send us your project so we could attempt to recreate the crash ourselves.

David, do I have your permission to contact you via the email address provided on this site?

13. Please make Track Matte (and other basic tools) 32bpc

When blending between two layers using a track matte (luma) and exporting to full float EXR - from a 32bpc AE setup - then as soon as the part of the shot where the track matte starts to get used, the file sizes drop heavily - indicating loss of information (I'm creating a loop, so it's not like I'm fading from tons of detail to black - I'm fading from tons of detail to tons of detail). All of my layers inside AE have effects on them that should be good for 32bpc (no warning flags in the effects).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. sourceRectAtTime is delayed in v18.1

When changing the source text (by keyframes or expression), the width and height values are delayed by a few frames. The sourceRectAtTime expression was working perfectly in the previous versions

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. BUG: After Effects 2020 and 2021 cannot open seq files from server

AE 2020 and 2021 can't open any sequences what include image files that show file size on disk: 0 bytes.
    On server Data Deduplication changes that size on disk to 0.

it wasn't problem with AE2019
    Please fix that

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Time Ruler Bug

The Time Ruler bug I read about from 2017 is still happening in my app. I'm unable to see the Time Ruler in seconds. in Ae current version

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. No preview playback under 5 fps

In After Effects CC2020 (Windows 10), I get no playback when I set the preview frame rate below 5. At 5 fps the preview works, anything below it doesn't.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. BUG - Internet connection speed may cause AE to lock up with INVALID MENU OPERATION msg

BUG - Internet connection speed may cause AE to lock up with INVALID MENU OPERATION msg.

Title says it all, can reproduced 100% of the time by lowering my internet connection speed (i.e. downloads and/or uploads). This is a critical productivity issue that has started occurring today 2021-02-23 and reproduced on both latest versions of AE (had it occur before and after updating the application).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  3 comments  ·  Stability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Slow... Laggy... After... Effects... Workflow

I'm going to type my complaint in the same format that Adobe after effects allows me to work:

I

Can't

Get

Anything

Done

Without

The

Application

Freezing

Or

Hanging

Every

Or

So

Minutes.

This

is

the

same

machine

that

spat

out

simultaneous

renders

from

After

Effects

DaVinci Resolve, Blender and Unreal Engine, last month (these products get their own line because I don't have to wait for them nearly as much as I do for After effects now.
    After Effects started doing this thing today where I can't use the machine or any other apps (including web…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  4 comments  ·  User experience/interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. [BUG] Can't open subcomp

AE 18.0.1 won't let me enter a subcomp upon doubleclicking it's layer. The error message states "Can't open layers with collapsed transformation. Oh boy 😞

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Needs More Info  ·  1 comment  ·  Compositing & effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base